• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Remember when japanese games sold on steam?
FzijZUI.png

Hey, I think Grandia II and Mugen Souls did well, all things considered.
The oversaturation is real.

It's just too many games at once really. We're getting years worth of entire series in the span of a year or two. At a certain point, even the most loyal fans are going to be behind. I'm sure plenty of those games will see decent spikes come sale time, and as much as we mock them, bundles are a decent source of income as well. I'm sure TitS FC didn't sell all 100k copies in the first week at full price (and the biggest discount it's had so far is 50% off).

If you look at something like Way of the Samurai 4, it is at 35k sales, and the publisher has said they are happy with the results. That game was heavily delayed and didn't stay on the front page for long. And most people aren't going to run out and buy something like Neptunia 3 when they just got 2 for 70% off during the summer sale and winter sale is coming up shortly. Honestly, other than the huge name AAA titles, I'd say October/November is the worst possible time to release a game on Steam. By now, everyone knows the sales are coming.

Edit: According to SteamSpy, Neptunia 2 has sold 83k copies, but only 37k have played it.

Nyoro SF

It's just too many games at once really. We're getting years worth of entire series in the span of a year or two. At a certain point, even the most loyal fans are going to be behind. I'm sure plenty of those games will see decent spikes come sale time, and as much as we mock them, bundles are a decent source of income as well. I'm sure TitS FC didn't sell all 100k copies in the first week at full price (and the biggest discount it's had so far is 50% off).

If you look at something like Way of the Samurai 4, it is at 35k sales, and the publisher has said they are happy with the results. That game was heavily delayed and didn't stay on the front page for long. And most people aren't going to run out and buy something like Neptunia 3 when they just got 2 for 70% off during the summer sale and winter sale is coming up shortly. Honestly, other than the huge name AAA titles, I'd say October/November is the worst possible time to release a game on Steam. By now, everyone knows the sales are coming.

I agree about the speed of releases. The overflow of content is just massive, but there's not much anyone can do about it, companies want their profits and they want them now.

I guess what this says is that it's really not a good idea to try to release a game on Steam without actual marketing anymore.

Tizoc

I agree about the speed of releases. The overflow of content is just massive, but there's not much anyone can do about it, companies want their profits and they want them now.

I guess what this says is that it's really not a good idea to try to release a game on Steam without actual marketing anymore.

How much marketing did a game like Undertale even get?
http://steamspy.com/app/391540

Monooboe

I actually don't mind the new dialog system in Fallout 4 at all. Doesn't have to impact "deep conversation", now it just is branched?

Mystery Game Regift
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-9DC08B7CA3AE56E7 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 3 entrants total.

t1446495955z1.png

Lomax

How much marketing did a game like Undertale even get?
http://steamspy.com/app/391540

Undertale caught indie buzz. A game or two every month still do. But it takes a perfect storm to happen for any one specific game.

That said, I don't really think marketing is the magic answer, especially for these console ports. I think when the first game of a series (or a long demanded game) gets ported, there's tons of initial demand and hype. Then every game that follows is naturally going to have less of that hype, and thus fall more into a normal long tail PC cycle. Anyone releasing PC games now needs to take sales and continued interest into account. No game on PC sells the majority of its copies at full price on release, even the biggest hits.

Ludens

Banned
Woah, for sure that 40€ Batman AK season pass is worth the money:

-28 minutes to complete Red Hood, Harley Quinn and Nightwing DLCs
-achievements are bugged (can't get the one for completing Nightwing DLC)
-game now stutters even in closed areas, while the base game before the patch was ok in closed areas.

-game now stutters even in closed areas, while the base game before the patch was ok in closed areas.
It's probably refund time, dude.

Refund that shit.

DLC could've been perfect for this series, but alas

Nyoro SF

Yo anime is shit, this is what good animation is like, take notes y'all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKxE8cGZ7tg

TiTS games need dat viral hit as well then!

Oh, I'd like nothing more for TiTS to go viral.
However the games aren't really designed to be youtube'd and twitter'd to pass through social media like those viral games are. FC and SC are like long novels that you're supposed to play through at a relaxing clip to enjoy the world and the battles and the music. That's antithetical to virality.

Yo anime is shit, this is what good animation is like, take notes y'all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKxE8cGZ7tg

TiTS games need dat viral hit as well then!

TitS very story heavy nature kinda prevents that really more or less.

Also the French are very good at using flash :v

Not enough memes

Although people should post screenshots because there are some really funny/cute lines. I would but I can't since I can't take screens of the game on the Vita :|

PS button + Start

Locust

Sorry bit late on this Veggie but is this for every EU Microsoft store? As that's waaay cheaper than Amazon over here for the Xbone Adapter.
It should be up on most, but I think the german store has the best price due to lower VAT. And it ships to all EU countries anyways.

Ozium

I bought Flame Over cuz it's on sale.

It's fun and hard like a warm cock.

Y'all should take a peek at its glory.

Lomax

Honestly, the more I think about it, the apparent failure of TitS SC is a bit strange. FC has 138k sales, of which 101k have played the game. And those aren't bundle or deep sale purchases either, like I said before, the biggest discount it's had so far is 50% (so people with casual interest like me still don't own it for the most part). In addition, SC had years of wait and build up, and seemingly a strong fan base. And it was pretty high on the sales chart when it first released, I saw it in the top 10.

But now it has already dropped like a rock and seemingly only sold a fraction of what the first one did. So why? The only thing I can think of is the price, $30 is just a lot for a game these days sadly, and with the sale hitting in a few weeks everyone knows that $30 will turn into four or five games soon. Or maybe because most of the people who played FC didn't beat it? Median play time is only 4 hours, which certainly isn't enough to have beaten it. That would also create a situation where people would be waiting for a sale.

Tizoc

Not enough memes

Although people should post screenshots because there are some really funny/cute lines. I would but I can't since I can't take screens of the game on the Vita :|

You know what? Make a thread stating you're gonna convince the reader/lurker that they'll go buy TiTS, and then just post these
Seriously how often do you get a game, an RPG series at that, that makes fun of empty treasure chests?

AHA-Lambda

I must be the only person that didn't have problems with AK =/

50 hours played and I had one crash, that's it.
Season Pass is still utter garbage though.

Tizoc

BTW for those that got TF Devastation from Amazon, when did it state you'd be getting your copy? Late November?

Basic anatomy, terrible artstyle, mediocre shading, some transitions are actually pretty bad with lack of movement and weight but sure animated better than Bethesda games at least.

I see none of your criticisms when I rewatched the video just now..

Salsa

all ive been doing for the last week is rewatching the X-Files for the third time cause I never watched this new-ish HD widescreen Netflix version

besides still adoring it to stupid heights I kinda want a new X-Files game

I wonder if Telltale will snatch it up now that they're doing a new season. It'd kinda make sense, and yeahyeah telltale bloat but i'd take it man.

Jawmuncher

all ive been doing for the last week is rewatching the X-Files for the third time cause I never watched this new-ish HD widescreen Netflix version

I wonder if Telltale will snatch it up now that they're doing a new season. It'd kinda make sense, and yeahyeah telltale bloat but i'd take it man.

A telltale X-Files game would probably be the best bet. Or at least just something in that style. The FMV games wasn't very good and the Resident Evil style game was rather odd.

Dontnod X-Files game pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom