• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Case Fans - How many should you have?

Feeling good with my 1 fan on front and 1 fan at the back.

200 in the front. 2 x 140 at the top, 140 exhaust, and a 120 + 140 on my HSF.

I could add a third 140 at top, a 140 at the bottom, and switch the front to 2x140 but they're a different brand and I don't think having everything run at the same rpm would make things any better.

Old case, I just ran 3 x 180 at the bottom, then had a 120 for the exhaust up top.

Phawx

My 40" 4k monitor came in yesterday. Didn't include the display port cable and when I checked the listing it looks like it isn't there. But I could have sworn it was there. Other people on another forum are saying they got a display port cable included. Thinking there might be some shenanigans going on.

In any event, my R9 290 handles 4k with a bunch of stuff maxed pretty decently. It's not superb but still much better than I anticipated. Now I just need to wait for a DP cable to come in and check out the Freesync.

Ready for Fallout4k

Case Fans - How many should you have?

Feeling good with my 1 fan on front and 1 fan at the back.

Thats pretty much optimal for a small/medium case. Adding fans in some cases can actually make temps go up because you end up not adequately pushing cool air over hot components and getting the now hot air out of the case as quickly as possible. Once you move up to the larger towers, things get a lot more complicated.

Haunted

I had forgotten how incredible that first half hour/hour is in Mirrormoon EP.

Solving that clever first puzzle planet, experimenting with the controls, figuring out the star map and the controls, cruising through space...

The game doesn't have much staying power beyond that (imo) since they literally put every single element of the on-planet gameplay into that first puzzle planet, and every other planet you visit after that is an often simpler rearrangement of those puzzle elements - but for the price they're currently selling it, I'd definitely recommend it just for that magical first hour,

Adnor

Banned
Do we know if Fallout 4 will have mouse acceleration by default and if we have to modify an .ini to have decent mouse controls?

Holyyyyyyyy....

Are you cross-using your PC as a drone?! lol

It's not so bad, it can get a little loud sometimes but it's enough out of the way that I can't really hear it, never have to worry about overheating because I got more fans than I probably need and everything stays nice and cool.

check settings and set to run each game individually

This is bullshit advice without knowing more about the original poster.

You have no idea if his cards are going to drop sub 2-hour idle time or not. Whatever change was made was not global. It may very well have to do with the "I've requested a refund before, so now I have to idle for 2 hours before a single card will consider dropping."

To the original poster asking the question:

You can try what Fish suggests if you're unsure of when you should be seeing the first card for a game drop. If you see no drops after the first 2 hours, odds are you will have to idle each game for 2+ hours to "enable" cards for that game.

What Idlemaster is currently doing is expected behavior -- it will save you a ton of time in the long run if you're in the group that needs to idle for 2+ hours to get drops. Idlemaster will cycle back around and idle each one individually to get the cards from it once you have the entire backlog moved through the 2 hour interval. If you're kind of tired of not seeing cards drop, you can go into settings and chose the behavior that says to idle individially then group. This will idle games with 2+ hours first and then deal with the masses of games you have under 2h playtime later.

TL;DR: You can try what Fish says, but if the games are taking more than 2h to drop any cards, you should continue with the default setting for the most efficient idling algorithms.

it's not getting funded

Probably not. Asking gamers for $30 when the game isn't even guaranteed to come out is kind of a tough sell. Hell, I'm still feeling ripped off by a bunch of the $15-$20 kickstarters I supported that are taking their sweet ass time coming out (Hyper Light Drifter, Shantae, Soul Saga, Mighty No. 9, and the list goes on and on and on). I didn't back Bloodstained because it was $30 to start and I didn't back Shenmue 3 for the same reason. Add in the Indiegogo vs. Kickstarter differences and their goal seems reaaaaallly lofty.

I love Lab Zero, I think Skullgirls was fantastic and I supported their DLC campaign through IndieGogo, but I'm not sold on this one. And I feel like a lot of other potential gamers feel the same.

Tizoc said that they were going to release the demo on PS4, so maybe that will drive up exposure and help them reach their funding goal, but I doubt it.

It would be really cool if you could stop trying to stir up drama for no good reason.

Purposefully coming into a thread just to attack someone is a bunch of bullshit.

you can do whatever you want, just kindly stop posting about in the steam thread, as nobody cares about your avatar or you personal attacks or your vendetta. letitgo.gif

Whoa. Arthea being reasonable... this is the Arthea I know and like. ;)

Nah don't feel bad, the puzzles are shit. The puzzles in most adventure games are shit. If I want puzzles I stick to games in the puzzle game genre as they tend to be coherent and follow rule sets.

This. So much this.

Screenshots and videos are out, why wait?

Screenshots are a horrible thing to base a purchase on. The game could look fantastic and play like shit. Or it could look iffy and play fantastically. It could look better in motion than in screenshots. There may be things considered spoilers by someone who knows nothing about the game intentionally. There are many reasons to wait.

cause the videos are ps4 and they might and probably release a big patch on the first day so dunno,
i don't have high hopes tbh but still

This is not one of them. ;)
Good luck with that... and if you got some spare cash, I have a bridge to sell you.

Welcome to my ignore list. It's a pretty exclusive club.

Nice. Not even I have made it on there yet, I think. :p

What new region lock thing? I have not heard anything about this

Nothing that will really affect you currently, buddy. You don't tend to buy guys from other regions, so most of it will not affect you most likely.

It seems that pre-orders where keys are provided before release can have region locking shenanigans imposed on them at any time prior to the game's release, as JaseC has seen with his pre-order for Black Ops 3 DDE from Nuuvem.

i have $7.36 in my steam wallet and 69 card drops remaining ..

any suggestion for spending it?

Something you want from your wishlist. Or hold on to it as the next sale is coming soon.

Purposefully coming into a thread just to attack someone is a bunch of bullshit.

I thought shitposting/'bullying' was basically an insta-ban. Guess it doesn't apply here.

Gameplay videos were leaked, but is there any chance the actual game plays better than it looks? Well, it's modern Fallout combat, you shoot people and you shoot people in V.A.T.S.

And then you miss point blank with 95% and die.

Screenshots are a horrible thing to base a purchase on. The game could look fantastic and play like shit. Or it could look iffy and play fantastically. It could look better in motion than in screenshots. There may be things considered spoilers by someone who knows nothing about the game intentionally. There are many reasons to wait.
Gameplay videos were leaked, but is there any chance the actual game plays better than it looks? Well, it's modern Fallout combat, you shoot people and you shoot people in V.A.T.S.

Wow, every one of those screens captures why I do not like Trails. Thanks Tizoc!

Eh, and here I thought, I with my two case fans am on the fan-heavy team. Some of you guys have serious cooling.

Those who don't have any case fans should watch the video. Even a single case fan helps reduce temps drastically and thus increases life expectancy of hardware.

Jazz573

Don't bully

Zfp47v3.jpg

Posting this image never gets old for me. :p

Eh, and here I thought, I with my two case fans am on the fan-heavy team. Some of you guys have serious cooling.

Those who don't have any case fans should watch the video. Even a single case fan helps reduce temps drastically and thus increases life expectancy of hardware.
I have one at bottom and two in front, one at back. And that reminds me to clean my fan filter.

Drama don't help no one. We just closed one. Hopefully this time we won't go too much into it.
I "only" have 3 case fans in my current case, 2 intake in the bottom with filters and 1 exhaust at the top.
Interesting setup really. Front-to-back is more common.
Could you explain why you opted for a down-to-up cooling solution?

But then again, I remember you having some exotic CPU and RAM as well. Wouldn't be surprised if you had an exotic cooling too :p

aw350

Banned
This is bullshit advice without knowing more about the original poster.

You have no idea if his cards are going to drop sub 2-hour idle time or not. Whatever change was made was not global. It may very well have to do with the "I've requested a refund before, so now I have to idle for 2 hours before a single card will consider dropping."

To the original poster asking the question:

You can try what Fish suggests if you're unsure of when you should be seeing the first card for a game drop. If you see no drops after the first 2 hours, odds are you will have to idle each game for 2+ hours to "enable" cards for that game.

What Idlemaster is currently doing is expected behavior -- it will save you a ton of time in the long run if you're in the group that needs to idle for 2+ hours to get drops. Idlemaster will cycle back around and idle each one individually to get the cards from it once you have the entire backlog moved through the 2 hour interval. If you're kind of tired of not seeing cards drop, you can go into settings and chose the behavior that says to idle individially then group. This will idle games with 2+ hours first and then deal with the masses of games you have under 2h playtime later.

TL;DR: You can try what Fish says, but if the games are taking more than 2h to drop any cards, you should continue with the default setting for the most efficient idling algorithms.

Thanks a lot for the explanation - and thanks to you, Fish, too.

I will leave IdleMaster in default mode, I am not in a hurry to get cards right now and what you say above about some warmup time (I didn't know about the initial 2 hours being special) makes sense. The games are mostly untouched, IdleMaster touches them for the first time. I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong, it helps knowing that what I am seeing is probably expected.

aw350

Banned
Name of the game I'm entering for, usually.

Same here.

In the beginning I was using "modbot pls", but then after a repeat ad from ModBot I forgot whether or not I already requested a particular title and "modbot pls" transformed into the name of the game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 -- MB-41BC0001B394E6E1 - Taken by Deques. 20 entrants total.

t1446611036z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks a lot for the explanation - and thanks to you, Fish, too.

I will leave IdleMaster in default mode, I am not in a hurry to get cards right now and what you say above about some warmup time (I didn't know about the initial 2 hours being special) makes sense. The games are mostly untouched, IdleMaster touches them for the first time. I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong, it helps knowing that what I am seeing is probably expected.

The good news is that after it's done with the 2 hour idling time for each game, you should start getting cards like mad once it starts idling them individually. If it's been running for 14 hours straight that means you have at least 210 games that are eligible for card drops - meaning that if you're in the group that needs at least 2 hours (it sounds like you are) then those 14 hours have already saved you 420 hours vs. idling games individually. Just take the number of games which are eligible and divide by 30, then multiply by 2. That should be the number of hours you should have to wait in total before cards start dropping.

Name of the game I'm entering for, usually.

I usually enter with some kind of pun or word play revolving around the name of the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, just bought Fallout 4 from GMG. When will they send out the keys? Is there a preload on Steam?

They usually send you they keys on the day the game launches, so no pre-load for you (and me). At least that's what usually happens.

What do you guys title your ModBot PM's as when entering giveaways?

I usually stick with lollllll, hiiiiiii, wiiiiiiiin, why don't you love me?

I try to make funny jokes about the title of the game because robots want to laugh too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom