• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

What's with these unreasonable giveaway demands nowadays?

Zfp47v3.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm thinking about playing Fallout 1 with the release of Fallout 4.

I've actually never played the game since I was a little young when it was initially released.

No better time than the present, especially since they're pretty cheap on GOG at the moment if you don't already own them.

Don't be mean. Many people enjoy it and it's a matter of justice, independent from the game itself.

Sorry :(

If you really like the game then a $6 upgrade doesn't seem like the end of the world though. I'm getting the impression that there a lot of envy involved in the complaints.

If they just gave a cheap upgrade option to everyone from the start we wouldn't be seeing this.

I love that this is now a thing <3
It's a fine game, if you like the genres it fits into.

I like the genre, but the game was padded and the loot not very exciting.

Khronico

I've actually never played the game since I was a little young when it was initially released.

I'd really like to dig into the original series as well.

It still holds up mostly (although 2 does more than 1).

I'd highly recommend it, it even has a high res/custom resolution mod that makes it easier on the eyes on modern monitors.

Resident Evil 4 (or should I say resident evil 4) HD texture mod is really great, you don't realize how nice the mod is until you check out the original and even the "HD" textures Capcom made. It's incredibly well done and makes the game look like I remembered it looking back on Gamecube.

Dsyndrome

If you do play Fallout 1, it's good to know that there's an internal game timer after which you can't win, don't remember if it's for the water chip, master, or both. It's a ridiculous amount of time, but it's still present.

Parsnip

The complaint is more tied to that the tiers are all kinds of off.
So for example if I bought Darksiders 2 and the Season Pass day 1 for example (Lets say already owning Darksiders 1) and then decided to buy the soundtrack later.

I get 80% off, while someone who went and bought the franchise pack at 10 dollars on steam last holiday sale gets the game for free.
The 80% discount isn't bad itself.

The problem I have, and that a lot of people are being vocal about, is that some people are getting it free because they "own" a specific version of the game on Steam, but others who own the same content (save maybe a soundtrack), have to pay for it. I'd say it's a dick move and a good way to alienate your customer base; no better way to piss off your customers then by telling them they lose out on a technically, thanks but pay us for the game.

I'll probably bitterly pay my $6 before the discount ends if nothing changes because I liked both games and would like to see more from the franchise... but I can certainly understand why other people in my position will just up and say "screw you, I'm not giving you money when you're rewarding late buyers instead of early adopters for their "loyalty"."

I suppose.

Personally I own Darksiders 2 and the season pass (so no weapon DLCs it seems), but I just don't think it's as huge deal as some people are making it out to be.

Also I doubt it's possible to assign discounts based on purchase dates. Early adopters bought the game to play the game and surely got their moneys worth. If they didn't play it, well that's on them. If they did play it and thought it was bad game and didn't get their moneys worth, then they probably don't want this upgrade anyway.

But the more "fair" solution would be to do as many other "upgraded" versions have done before them: offer tiered discounts based on how much you actually own.
That still wouldn't fix your earlier early adopter problem.

Teggy

I liked the gameplay in Darksiders 2 but I it was so long and I got stuck on a boss 2/3rds through. I don't know if I can go back to that game now even though I would like to finish it.

OK, so now that cards drop fast for people that haven't refunded a game (such as myself) does that mean they can't refund any games?

Days before a lot of big releases are the worst. I have Blops, Tomb Raider and Fallout coming up and can't pick a short game to play in the meantime. I started up Atelier Rorona Plus a few days ago, which is completely counterproductive.

extras. Euro Truck Sim 2 is fantastic, so kudos to whoever gets it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zero-Crescent, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Contagion #3 -- MB-C1D788B3E6F3D9E2 - Taken by Chreznor
Contagion #2 -- MB-FCDA08565D548360 - Taken by chronomac
Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-D2C5CF597E79BB52 - Taken by impliedsignificance
Contagion -- MB-3686FEA016BF333F - Taken by Loptous

Nzyme32

I only just noticed that the old Interplay Fallout games on GOG, are labelled as "Classic", yet the ones that they are selling now are not.

Is the only difference a lack of interplay logo, or is there no difference at all, or did they make a lot of changes that I am unaware of?

Dr Dogg

Resident Evil 4 (or should I say resident evil 4) HD texture mod is really great, you don't realize how nice the mod is until you check out the original and even the "HD" textures Capcom made. It's incredibly well done and makes the game look like I remembered it looking back on Gamecube.

I'll think you'll find that it's 4 resident evil

On a more serious note the texture rework that Capcom handled really only covered The Village and a bit of The Castle and then some of it was more of resampling the original artwork than authoring new assets. Problem is that regardless of skill it's a fucking laborious task that takes time so it's great to see it coming along but I'm going to hold out until it's in the final stages before replaying it again.

If you do play Fallout 1, it's good to know that there's an internal game timer after which you can't win, don't remember if it's for the water chip, master, or both. It's a ridiculous amount of time, but it's still present.

My understanding was that there was a time limit you could run up against in Fallout 1 to beat the whole game, but it got extend to an absurdly long time in a patch(so long you would have to try to reach the time by just forcing days to go by). There might still be a timelimit for the waterchip I can't recall, but it isn't really a issue for the vast majority of people. Ether way I don't think it's something a person has to worry too much about anymore.

Jawmuncher

I suppose.

Personally I own Darksiders 2 and the season pass (so no weapon DLCs it seems), but I just don't think it's as huge deal as some people are making it out to be.

Also I doubt it's possible to assign discounts based on purchase dates. Early adopters bought the game to play the game and surely got their moneys worth. If they didn't play it, well that's on them. If they did play it and thought it was bad game and didn't get their moneys worth, then they probably don't want this upgrade anyway.

That still wouldn't fix your earlier early adopter problem.

If there was no tier 1, people wouldn't be fussing.

zkylon

zkylewd

go for it, it's a great game, and not as ridiculous of a mammooth epic as fo2, so it won't take you months to beat or whatever

my favorite is 2 but they're both really amazing games full of surprising and well written and designed quests and easily my favorite character system ever. lots of different solutions to quests, both from dialogue and just fooling around with the skill system, and various uses for most skills too.

game has some annoying stuff like inventory management and really stupid ai sometimes, but it's manageable and very much worth it

seriously real fallout is amazing

Remember when interplay gave away Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics free on GOG as a middle finger to Bethesda? Good times.

This is the only Fallout Game I have liked and I am 100% serious about that.
your stupid

My understanding was that there was a time limit you could run up against in Fallout 1 to beat the whole game, but it got extend to an absurdly long time in a patch(so long you would have to try to reach the time by just forcing days to go by). There might still be a timelimit for the waterchip I can't recall, but it isn't really a issue for the vast majority of people. Ether way I don't think it's something a person has to worry too much about anymore.
there's a fairly forgiving time limit that you can extend whenever you want or you can just progress the story until it's removed entirely. iirc then a second timer is introduced but this is tied to your ending rather than actually loss condition. haven't played fo1 in a long while so not sure if i'm dreaming this, but that's what comes to mind

either, the time limit stuff is not a big deal

fo2 has no time limit stuff, tho some quests are timed by in-game days. there's a special quest like that that can really get down to the wire and is probably one of my favorite quests in the game. as a majora's mask child and an advocate of more time limits in games, i really liked that

fuck, fallout games were so damn good

donny2112

Go for it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (donny2112, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
System Shock 2 (GOG) -- MB-CF862232D4FC50D6 - Taken by Corvo Jensen. 4 entrants total.

t1446671941z1.png

Dsyndrome

Looked it up, 150 days for the water chip, more if you
send a caravan with water to the vault
. They did indeed remove the master time limit, I guess there's a 13 year limit due to the limits of their data structures for both Fallout 1 and 2.

I suppose.

It just doesn't make any sense to be doing it for their "supporters" when the only people actually getting freebies are people who picked up the franchise pack when it was severely discounted during a winter sale -- the late adopters/sale purchases getting a free upgrade is what isn't fair, especially since they're spinning the freebie as a "loyalty" reward of sorts.

Furthermore, I don't know what is "impossible" about their original idea, since other games use various sub ownership to determine a customer's discount for the new product. That seems like a "it's more effort than we're willing to put into it, so fsck everyone who doesn't have this one sub on their account."

I'm not nearly as riled up as most of the others who are commenting on it, but I can completely understand what they're mad about. It's the general principles of how they're handling it and who they're rewarding that are making people angry.

And outside of Jaw's suggestion of giving the free upgrade to people who own DSII + Season Pass (which they've claimed is "impossible", I believe), the only "fair" thing to do as far as I can figure is to remove the "freebie" for franchise pack owners and do a discount based on how many items you own, much like PixelJunk just did for Shooter Ultimate. That's just my opinion, though. :p

Hmmm... interesting. The only thing I remember about the original Fallout games was that a friend of mine in HS was trying to play through it back in like 1997... I've seen a few speed runs where you can beat the games in all of 10 minutes if you know where to go. Those were pretty amazing.

On a more serious note the texture rework that Capcom handled really only covered The Village and a bit of The Castle and then some of it was more of resampling the original artwork than authoring new assets. Problem is that regardless of skill it's a fucking laborious task that takes time so it's great to see it coming along but I'm going to hold out until it's in the final stages before replaying it again.

I thought they had just focused on the textures for the character models... the fan rework of the textures is pretty amazing, but like you, I've been waiting on the project to finish going back to my playthrough.

Regional prices for Trails SC in Mexico and Brazil have been lowered, if you've been waiting for that

Hey, at least it's $10 cheaper or so.

That was my point.
Except there'd still be people thinking "it should be free".
But the general pushback would probably be less, because you could at least say "hey, they should get something for the work put into upgrading/porting/whatever. $6 isn't a lot."

The latest pack has everything up to the castle, so there's a decent amount done already, I'll probably stop playing once I get past that HDed part and wait until the rest is done.

Eila

Ohhhhhh, that's nice. So glad I waited.

Ehh it wasn't the greatest discount, but at a least they listened to all 3 people that complained about it.
I can't say for sure but the price probably had to do with SC being a simultaneous PC/PSP release.

Jawmuncher

go for it, it's a great game, and not as ridiculous of a mammooth epic as fo2, so it won't take you months to beat or whatever

my favorite is 2 but they're both really amazing games full of surprising and well written and designed quests and easily my favorite character system ever. lots of different solutions to quests, both from dialogue and just fooling around with the skill system, and various uses for most skills too.

game has some annoying stuff like inventory management and really stupid ai sometimes, but it's manageable and very much worth it

seriously real fallout is amazing

your stupid

there's a fairly forgiving time limit that you can extend whenever you want or you can just progress the story until it's removed entirely. iirc then a second timer is introduced but this is tied to your ending rather than actually loss condition. haven't played fo1 in a long while so not sure if i'm dreaming this, but that's what comes to mind

either, the time limit stuff is not a big deal

fo2 has no time limit stuff, tho some quests are timed by in-game days. there's a special quest like that that can really get down to the wire and is probably one of my favorite quests in the game. as a majora's mask child and an advocate of more time limits in games, i really liked that

fuck, fallout games were so damn good

People have been banned for less, you should apologize

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmmm... interesting. The only thing I remember about the original Fallout games was that a friend of mine in HS was trying to play through it back in like 1997... I've seen a few speed runs where you can beat the games in all of 10 minutes if you know where to go. Those were pretty amazing.
yea old fallout games are pretty silly like that

if you know where to look you can get your hands on power armor really quick and just rush through the thing

it's awesome

People have been banned for less, you should apologize

no u

M.D

yeah that'd be a smart thing to do

i dunno in which order you've been doing the dlc, but yeah, owb is a really high point in many ways. most ppl don't like lonesome road but i actually enjoyed it quite a lot. each dlc was unique and interesting in its own way.

dead money is my favorite because the mca characters are really well done, but owb is hilarious and lr is a cool epilogue to the whole dlc "season". honest hearts is the one that i felt was a bit of a letdown, because the burned man is such a mythical figure in the game prior to that and then you get really little time to talk to him or see him in action. it's still good dlc but it's the one i liked the least

but anyways, all of new vegas is super awesome, definitely on my shortlist of favorites of all time

I'm playing in this order

Honest Hearts
Old World Blues
Dead Money
Lonesome Road

I liked Honest Hearts, but it certainly wasn't my favorite content in the game so far.
The thing with the Burned Man didn't shock me as it was heavily implied he survived the incident, but it was kind of a bummer that you didn't actually interact with him all that much.
The things I didn't like about Honest Hearts were the map and level design and the the writing in general, it felt too heavy and serious for me.

Parsnip

Eh, I'm pretty sure there would be angry people complaining about how they deserve a better than -80% deal because they own x, y and z.

Life isn't Fair
A DONTNOD Game.

I just find it very hard to get riled up about something like this I guess.
Maybe I'm getting old.

GaussTek

Ehh it wasn't the greatest discount, but at a least they listened to all 3 people that complained about it.
I can't say for sure but the price probably had to do with SC being a simultaneous PC/PSP release.

Yeah, not the greatest, but more in line from what I was thinking when they announced the price (I was expecting $300 pesos, so $330 now isn't bad :p).

Nzyme32

Also, when did the Steam version of Fallout change? 2 or 3 years ago, I had all kinds of problems running the Steam version of Fallout. I just tried it now, and there are two options, "Fallout" and "Classic" for "older systems". Thankfully the first option works almost as well as the GOG version did.

MUnited83

For you.
Also, when did the Steam version of Fallout change? 2 or 3 years ago, I had all kinds of problems running the Steam version of Fallout. I just tried it now, and there are two options, "Fallout" and "Classic" for "older systems". Thankfully the first option works almost as well as the GOG version did.

They changed it when they put the game on Steam again after the rights were transfered to Bethesda.

ArjanN

Do it.

Fallout 1 is one of the best cRPGs ever.

Also, it'll be fun to poop on Fallout 3 and 4 for being really bad Fallout games with the rest of the people in the know.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm playing in this order

Honest Hearts
Old World Blues
Dead Money
Lonesome Road

I liked Honest Hearts, but it certainly wasn't my favorite content in the game so far.
The thing with the Burned Man didn't shock me as it was heavily implied he survived the incident, but it was kind of a bummer that you didn't actually interact with him all that much.
The things I didn't like about Honest Hearts were the map and level design and the the writing in general, it felt too heavy and serious for me.
that's a weird ass order lol

if u don't like serious then i have bad news for you about the remaining two dlc lol

try to enjoy them all for the variety in gameplay and setting they bring to the game and how they help round out some cool stuff about the game story and themes

you didn't really hurt the story by playing it in ur wonky order or whatever, but ideally you'd done dead money first, since they set up some story hooks that get developed a bit in hh and owb (and lr), but it's no biggie. in fact, your experience might be interesting cos you're doing some stuff in reverse order

that's the beauty of that dlc series, it's so fucking clever the way they set it all up

I don't think they even bothered with power armor.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/9136645?t=14h29m15s
Sub 10 minutes, I think.
i'll watch that when i get home, but that's the way i always did it heh. tho i like the game enough not to want to speedrun it and just go and explore and discover new stuff cos there's always new stuff cos it's like the best couple of games ever

Cibele? More like zkylon Desktop Simulator (ok, it's missing League of Legends shortcut, but still)
lol not even close

this reminds me how much better tits would be with drawn sprites instead of 3d models

the models aren't super bad or anything, and they're probably a good save in production since drawing everything from a million angles is a big money sink, but it'd look better that's a given

FYC

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for FYC:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FYC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-161A384972C6FC46
Aerena -- MB-2072DCFB62BB6325 - Taken by ExoSoul

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

-__-

this reminds me how much better tits would be with drawn sprites instead of 3d models

the models aren't super bad or anything, and they're probably a good save in production since drawing everything from a million angles is a big money sink, but it'd look better that's a given

Oh yeah, I think hand drawn or even pixel-art would have looked a bit nicer too. I always enjoyed how much detail they were able to cram into the Ragnarok Online sprites, which still had multi-angles and hundreds of thousands of little trinkets to wear.

pFDnQsv.jpg

Hard to say for sure, but I think it'd have made the models age slightly better than the Pseudo-3D they used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom