• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

Apparently new (old) card drop rate is reward for not doing refunds and buying a lot of games on steam, because I know people that refunded nothing but still are getting 2 hours with no cards.
I'm glad to be in this exclusive club, but that probably means I can't refund anything in the future, not that I plan to, but things can happen.

Nope, some of my accounts with zero purchases don't have to wait 2hr for drops.

Uzzy

But what if the reviewer doesn't experience them first hand? Totally possible that in a large scale open world game that you can avoid certain bugs entirely or on the flipside have them non stop. You'll hear some folks talk about the quality of Skyrim's PS3 version and how reviewers not mention it being the 'greatest injustice in the world!' but it's a bit hard when next to no PS3 copies went out for review. I think even Playstation focused outlets got sent 360 copies.

I appreciate that reviewers have deadlines, and that reviews that aren't out at launch get very little attention, but it's reasons like this that you should never fully trust reviews that are put out on launch day, especially for the massive open world games.

There's just no way that reviewers can fully comprehend all the systems, mechanics, story etc in something like Skyrim in the brief time they get before the deadlines hit, and expecting them to spot everything feels a bit irrational to me. Impressions and reviews that come out a few weeks after the release of something as big as Skyrim, those I'm interested in, as there's been time to properly digest the game and discover the ins and outs. But launch day reviews? Those should mostly be treat as ephemeral thoughts, first impressions.

Phinor

Anyone know when GMG will give out Fallout 4 keys?

Between now and next Wednesday-ish.

Obviously no one knows because even GMG doesn't know. They handed out Anno 2205 keys some 15 hours after it released, and are promising to do the same with Black Ops 3. We can only wait and see how it goes with Fallout.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
More than a quarter of Steam users are on Windows 10

While Windows 8 adoption was for a long time a joke within the core PC gaming community, it seems that Windows 10 has managed to shake a lot of it's predecessor's poor press. As of this month, 27.64% of Steam users have made the leap into reasonable early adoption off the new operating system.

No doubt there are a few key factors at play here. DirectX 12 support certainly helps, alongside the fact the upgrade was free and directly addressed many of the more public surface level complaints consumers had regarding Windows 8.

So, have you already upgraded your gaming rig to Windows 10?

Volimar

When is the last time a game has exceeded a majority of people's expectations? It always seems to be hyped to hell and inevitable disappointments.

What's with the BLOPS3 love? I thought we hate all things CoD here?

I expected to have no interest in it until I heard about the mods and customization. It's kinda sad that FOV sliders and searchable custom games are things to be excited about, considering how those things were de facto in the ancient days of 15 years ago.

Now it's a marketing ploy. Take it away for years... release it as a quality of life nod to the PC folks... watch them fork the cash and storm GAF with praise.

I'm not liking DS2 Sins. At all.

The game just throws you a legion of enemies from nowhere. Like in the sword location, you walk, you take an item, and the game rains enemies, like 5 or 6 of them.

Plus the new enemy pursuing you is very annoying. You play, you are fight an enemy, and the game spawns this dude right behind of you. I already fought him four times, and usually I find him at the end of a hard section, like when you fight the three sentinels.

I don't know if I'll keep playing, I only want to do the three DLCs I'm missing, but I need to redo the whole game and it seems way harder than DS2 to me, but in a cheap way.

Out of curiosity, have you played Bloodborne in the time between when you played DS2 and playing DS2-Sins now? If so, that could contribute to the rustiness.

It's crazy how the changes to the mechanics in Bloodborne erased my muscle memory for Souls games. Going back was like starting as a noob again.

yuraya

When is the last time a game has exceeded a majority of people's expectations? It always seems to be hyped to hell and inevitable disappointments.

Mordor? I haven't played it but I remember it kinda surprised everyone and won a lot of awards.

IU2cRf2.png

pls

Haunted

Rebel Galaxy
Witcher 3
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity
Rocket League
Grow Home

I find that so many negatively framed questions on GAF recently could be answered by "go outside the AAA space and you'll find what you are looking for".

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Fuck.

I've played a lot of Dark Souls, and I do mean a lot.
I never had any issues while playing online, untill now.

I just met a cheating basterd while playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin. He invaded my game, turned invisible, killed everyone in Majula, destroyed my equipped items and teleported me to the other side of Drangleic.

My game is pretty much fucked.

I've left my happy place.
What kind of idiot thinks this is a fun thing to do?

Ugh.

I don't know about majority, but I had really low hopes for Wolfenstein The New Order, thinking it'd be some crap reboot. It then turned out to be one of my favourite games of last year.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Don't know about the majority but I had huge expectations for Witcher 3 and it easily surpassed them. It's the only open world game this year that knows what to do with an open world (for me t least). Every sidequest has a story, every mainquest feels special not like MGS or Batman where the main missions basically were just sidequests with some voiceover.

Tales from the Borderlands?

I'm not liking DS2 Sins. At all.

The game just throws you a legion of enemies from nowhere. Like in the sword location, you walk, you take an item, and the game rains enemies, like 5 or 6 of them.

Plus the new enemy pursuing you is very annoying. You play, you are fight an enemy, and the game spawns this dude right behind of you. I already fought him four times, and usually I find him at the end of a hard section, like when you fight the three sentinels.

I don't know if I'll keep playing, I only want to do the three DLCs I'm missing, but I need to redo the whole game and it seems way harder than DS2 to me, but in a cheap way.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure enemies don't 'spawn' in DarkSouls. They are basically hiding.

The first level basically forces you to git gud. If you liked Dark Souls, I say stick with it.

Arthea

Nope, some of my accounts with zero purchases don't have to wait 2hr for drops.

my niece has to wait 2 hours, never refunded anything, most games she has are gifted or bought outside of steam, if that's not it, then I don't know what is. Any ideas?

edited: it can't be random... or can it?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

OASE: Other Age Second Encounter -- MB-B01B9C7D5A13CD3A - Taken by Catshade
Caveman Craig -- MB-CE92203054F9007F - Taken by Saty
SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect -- MB-E7071C5E7F26F49B - Taken by Spring-Loaded
The Adventures of Fatman -- MB-F3CDCB84C632439E - Taken by madjoki

Tales from the Borderlands for me. Mostly because I had very low expectations from it being a Telltale game using the Borderlands license (which, to be clear, I don't hate, but yea...)

Rebel Galaxy
Witcher 3
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity
Rocket League
Grow Home

Come on now. Witcher 3 and Pillars had a mountain of expectations behind them and they delivered. I'm pretty sure people had high hopes for Ori too after that E3 showing. Rocket League came out of nowhere and blew people away.

Ludens

Banned
I expected to have no interest in it until I heard about the mods and customization. It's kinda sad that FOV sliders and searchable custom games are things to be excited about, considering how those things were de facto in the ancient days of 15 years ago.

Now it's a marketing ploy. Take it away for years... release it as a quality of life nod to the PC folks... watch them fork the cash and storm GAF with praise.

Out of curiosity, have you played Bloodborne in the time between when you played DS2 and playing DS2-Sins now? If so, that could contribute to the rustiness.

It's crazy how the changes to the mechanics in Bloodborne erased my muscle memory for Souls games. Going back was like starting as a noob again.
Yes, I played a bit of Bloodborne with a friend.

Arthea

Tales from the Borderlands for me. Mostly because I had very low expectations from it being a Telltale game using the Borderlands license (which, to be clear, I don't hate, but yea...)

Come on now. Witcher 3 and Pillars had a mountain of expectations behind them and they delivered. I'm pretty sure people had high hopes for Ori too after that E3 showing. Rocket League came out of nowhere and blew people away.

I think you misunderstood that post, those games meet expectations according to Haunted, it's kinda true, I haven't seen much negativity if at all for most of those.

"More that a quarter of Steam users like free things that are likely to still have issues"

I think much more than quarter likes free things, they just don't extend it to new OSes.

Ludens

Banned
Tales from the Borderlands?

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure enemies don't 'spawn' in DarkSouls. They are basically hiding.

The first level basically forces you to git gud. If you liked Dark Souls, I say stick with it.
I know they are hidden, I already complete DS2 vanilla.

Rebel Galaxy
Witcher 3
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity
Rocket League
Grow Home

I find that so many negatively framed questions on GAF recently could be answered by "go outside the AAA space and you'll find what you are looking for".

It appears that you can add Vermintide to that. People have been digging it but, on reveal, the reaction was more "Who asked for this?" than anything.

Speaking of co-op first person... random gifs are making me want to pick up Killing Floor 2 during the next sale, but I have a few questions...

1) Are the characters purely cosmetic or do they impact the gameplay? 2) Is there a matchmaking or lobby search where you could drop in with randoms? 3) Does playing with randoms suck? 4) Can you play the game casually and still be successful or will it be frustrating until you unlock better stuff?

Jawmuncher

Fuck.

I've played a lot of Dark Souls, and I do mean a lot.
I never had any issues while playing online, untill now.

I just met a cheating basterd while playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin. He invaded my game, turned invisible, killed everyone in Majula, destroyed my equipped items and teleported me to the other side of Drangleic.

My game is pretty much fucked.

I've left my happy place.
What kind of idiot thinks this is a fun thing to do?

Ugh.

Wow that's shitty especially since I thought DS2 had VAC protection.

derFeef

Don't know about the majority but I had huge expectations for Witcher 3 and it easily surpassed them. It's the only open world game this year that knows what to do with an open world (for me t least). Every sidequest has a story, every mainquest feels special not like MGS or Batman where the main missions basically were just sidequests with some voiceover.

I was disappointed by TW3 - I stopped after like 4 hours in. But I did not like TW2 as much as Witcher 1 to begin with so you can say the series go worse for me :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"More that a quarter of Steam users like free things that are likely to still have issues"

...What issues are those? MUH PRIVACY is overblown when you can rip/turn those off.

Wow that's shitty especially since I thought DS2 had VAC protection.

They turned VAC off because they couldn't get it right (plus leery about it messing with mods).

Cheating is rampant in the PC version. I dunno why people want to play online anyway. Nothing but griefing. From really should have the option to toggle that bullshit on/off when you want.

Arthea

Life is Strange surely. It was a relative unknown until release.

I'm not so sure about meeting expectations thingie, it was so hyped by steamgaf that it might not meet expectations of some people and there were a few already voicing that. Of course majority is still happy with it, so it depends on a point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom