• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

I think I may have to tone down my Mordor settings. It's fine for a while but will eventually start hitching periodically. Damn it.

S1n1st3r

Banned
I need game suggestions for a worktrip with a laptop w/o numpad! GPU is integrated of course so the games can't be too graphically intensive.

BroForce is awesome, 2D, and only needs 3 buttons and arrow keys.

Or you can rebind the movement to WASD and have the 3 buttons elsewhere.

I think I may have to tone down my Mordor settings. It's fine for a while but will eventually start hitching periodically. Damn it.
Vsync made my framerate unstable, I tuned it off and used the built in frame limiter, it's smoother for me after that.

AsfaeksBR

I wanted to add you guys on Steam, but my Steam nickname and avatar are different from mine nickname and avatar here on Gaf, and I'm shy :((

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jørdan;132818375 said:
That's exactly the cause! I wasn't following any curators, however on your comment I added NeoGAF and returned to the homepage to see the curators section gone. Thank you very much for pointing that out, I would never have thought of it.

fernandes was spot on with their observation, if you don't have follow at least one curator the section stays there to taunt you until you do.

On the off chance this hasn't been made clear yet, I had to same issue of not being able to hide the Steam Curators from the front page and also did not follow any curators. I followed a curator to test, and then ES successfully hid the curator section. I then unfollowed the curator and ES reverted to not hiding the Curators Section.

Thanks for testing this out guys. I'll do some more testing and possibly get a bugfix for this out soon.

I hope your inbox is ready for the hate mail.

As expected, I got quite a few emails while I slept. Mostly having to do with the issue above though. :p

I'm sure the programmers here can relate: there's always that one thing that you just don't see coming until it hits you in the face.

I've become sadly addicted to looking through Steam community forums for dumb stuff, it's become almost to easy to find good stuff.

This guy "traded" for Shadow of Mordor, sounds okay, except he admits to scamming the other trader out of the game and tries to use Steam's TOS on outside Steam trading to justify it. Funny stuff. I should make a shit Steam forums says twitter or something.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/241930/discussions/0/613937942983910350/

AsfaeksBR

I've become sadly addicted to looking through Steam community forums for dumb stuff, it's become almost to easy to find good stuff.

This guy "traded" for Shadow of Mordor, sounds okay, except he admits to scamming the other trader out of the game and tries to use Steam's TOS on outside Steam trading to justify it. Funny stuff. I should make a shit Steam forums says twitter or something.

Best argument ever

Vw9nFQ9.jpg

S1n1st3r

Banned

Wait how did Steam Support know? I mean before he stupidly admitted to scamming?

Why did they just plain side withe the other guy? He's technically right, out side of official trading of Steam gifts, Steam can't hep you if you're scammed.

well i promised a code didnt give the code but steam speciffically says it dosent support trades outside the trade window

wat

Why did they just plain side withe the other guy? He's technically right, out side of official trading of Steam gifts, Steam can't hep you if you're scammed.

Steam can actually do a lot if they want. I mean just screenshot the conversation and tell Steam. What this tyguy did is still a scam, legally.

Go to the scammer's profile page and look at the comment section.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

He's saying that Valve doesn't provide support for Steam-related trading done outside of Steam's own trading system. Someone promised you $100 for a CS:GO knife and then immediately filed a chargeback? Contact PayPal, not Valve.

Parsnip

Vsync made my framerate unstable, I tuned it off and used the built in frame limiter, it's smoother for me after that.

I'm using bordless so no vsync, my 2gig gtx760 just can't handle the high textures for very long, which I guess is expected. Are you using framelimiter at 60 or 30?

It's damn shame either way because gtx760 seems fine otherwise as far as processing power goes. It's just the vram, boo.

fake edit, actually real edit:
Looks like Massive Chalice backer ($50+) beta starts October 21st. At this rate it's going to actually ship before Broken Age part 2.

Deitus

That reminds me of the GAF thread where the guy sold a code on ebay, and then at the last second got scared of getting scammed, so he used the code himself and completely ripped off the guy he sold it to, then tried to justify it.

I'm using bordless so no vsync, my 2gig gtx760 just can't handle the high textures for very long, which I guess is expected. Are you using framelimiter at 60 or 30?

It's damn shame either way because gtx760 seems fine otherwise as far as processing power goes. It's just the vram, boo.
At 60, but my GTX770 has 4GB VRAM.

JaseC

Yeah, if I had opted for 4GB 670s back in the day I'd be happy to hold off until Nvidia's next line of GPUs, however as it stands there are already examples of games that require more than 2GB VRAM to max out, even at 1680x1050.

I'm going to go ahead and need a link on that please and thank you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853822

Chariot

Oh god, so good. The guy is so bold in being scummy, it's funny.

Arthea

Now I'm ready for winter sale.

I noticed that card prices are very unstable lately, let's say lowest price for the card was 7 cents, it's 12 a week later! That's strange, or are all preparing for winter sale now and we have sale price increase two months too early? (><)

He's saying that Valve doesn't provide support for Steam-related trading done outside of Steam's own trading system. Someone promised you $100 for a CS:GO knife and then immediately filed a chargeback? Contact PayPal, not Valve.

So how did he get a trade-ban?

Parsnip

At 60, but my GTX770 has 4GB VRAM.

Yeah, that's the ticket.
I guess I need to start looking at new cards at some point, drats.

Yeah, if I had opted for 4GB 670s back in the day I'd be happy to hold off until Nvidia's next line of GPUs, however as it stands there are already examples of games that require more than 2GB VRAM to max out, even at 1680x1050.
Indeed.

Ooohh good choice(s). For me Asylum is the real PhysX show stopper. Not only the crazy Dynamic Paper and fog everywhere but the Scarecrow scenes are amazing with PhysX cranked up. Here's a vid of all the PhysX effects and the differences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyKCM-Bpuw
Wow, I didn't think physx to have such a big impact. Especially the destructible wall and floor tiles, paper, cloth and fog add so much visually. I'm gonna look around for wikis around games with physx.
With GPUs getting more and more powerful, I wonder when physx won't imply huge performance loss.
Also, there should be (more?) games where the core mechanics revolve around cloth and wall/floor destructibility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPwLCg3MTE
Good video. Didn't expect Korra to have such a deep gameplay. Combining different powers at different distances with zooming in to finish the enemy sounds very cool.
It is now my birthday, feel free to shower me in praise :p
Happy birthday man.

Lomax

Now I'm ready for winter sale.

I noticed that card prices are very unstable lately, let's say lowest price for the card was 7 cents, it's 12 a week later! That's strange, or are all preparing for winter sale now and we have sale price increase two months too early? (><)

Do you have particular game examples? Lower volume cards for lesser known games tend to fluctuate a lot, bundles tend to cause big dips that usually swing back up at least slightly, and there's always a lot of ebb and flow in prices. In a general sense though I haven't noticed anything unusual, especially in terms of increases.

Deitus

Wow that dude is delusional, such a nice PSA, how thoughtful of him.

Well that wasn't the original thread title. He maintained for the entire thread that he did nothing wrong, because he was sure the other guy was going to scam him, thus scamming him first was only fair. The mods had a bit of fun with the title before banning him.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Asgaro, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gone Home -- MB-76FECA8ADCCF0CEC - Taken by MillionStabs. 12 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-C7EF5A6447ABEF4E - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.
Papers, Please -- MB-F312F3A29F4EDC3A - Taken by fspm. 13 entrants total.
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North -- MB-78293CDF4A07B672 - Taken by Porcupine. 9 entrants total.

t1412437716z1.png

Well that wasn't the original thread title. He maintained for the entire thread that he did nothing wrong, because he was sure the other guy was going to scam him, thus scamming him first was only fair. The mods had a bit of fun with the title before banning him.

Yeah I figured as much, it's just crazy how easily he believes his own bullshit, the idea of being a decent human being and refunding the money didn't even compute with him.

Arthea

Do you have particular game examples? Lower volume cards for lesser known games tend to fluctuate a lot, bundles tend to cause big dips that usually swing back up at least slightly, and there's always a lot of ebb and flow in prices. In a general sense though I haven't noticed anything unusual, especially in terms of increases.

I had this happen to five games' cards now, that's why I say it's tendency:
trying to remember
it was Reversion, most weird of all Canyon Capers that is still free more or less, it had lower increase, but even that makes no sense, Sky Nations and some others I'm forgetting now.

Pollux

When buying DLC for Crusader Kings 2, do I need to buy all the expansion packs or can I skip Sunset Invasion and get the others without messing anything up?

JaseC

When buying DLC for Crusader Kings 2, do I need to buy all the expansion packs or can I skip Sunset Invasion and get the others without messing anything up?

Passing on the other expansions won't break the game if that's what you're asking.

Deitus

Yeah I figured as much, it's just crazy how easily he believes his own bullshit, the idea of being a decent human being and refunding the money didn't even compute with him.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

Where the hell has this year gone? It's crazy that we're already up to October.

I don't even know. I mean I'm glad the October releases are finally coming out and all, but I keep feeling like "It can't possibly be this late in the year. I haven't gotten enough done for this much time to have passed."

Javier23

Banned
I was talking last week with Jaw about Siren, the only survival horror I can't complete. I still have my PS2 copy basically untouched.
Last week I started it again, thinking that when I tried it the first time, my skill was not enough. Well, the game is simply hard as hell, even today. You have only one way to solve each level, the one developers want. Also to achieve the best ending and unlocking all levels, you need to do some actions in some levels so a character later won't face, in example, an enemy you imprisoned in a well. Figuring out what to do is very hard because the game is so dark that even find a road usually is a big journey.
Also enemies basically insta-kill you, with some characters you have a gun, but usually trying to kill an enemy is more dangerous then leave him alone, because when you fire other enemies reach you, and anyway you can only stun each enemy for a brief time, then they resurrect.

Very very hard, and I'm very sad, because the story and the way is narrated is really good, but the gameplay is very hardcore, one of the hardest survival horror at all.

I completed Siren on Ps3, but that was really easy.
I had the same experience. I first tried it when I was a kid and didn't get too far even though I was enjoying it a lot. Went back to it recently thinking it was a matter of skill and experience and the funny thing is that this time I didn't even get as far into it as so many years ago. Mostly because I don't have the patience anymore. Unless I'm missing something, you are supposed to complete the hidden objectives while they remain... well, hidden. Otherwise, you are stuck in a loop repeating the same levels again and again. It's just stupid and a waste of the little time I have to play nowadays.

Does emulating the game give it any advantages? Or is it literally hard locked at that framerate?

Interesting to me that a lot of 3DS games are actually 60 FPS.

you can change the internal resolution, use anisotropic filtering and/or fxaa
you're stuck with 20fps though, there isn't a framerate hack yet as far as i know

i guess this goes next to dragon's dogma on my good-games-made-worse-by-shitty-framerates list

Arthea

you can change the internal resolution, use anisotropic filtering and/or fxaa
you're stuck with 20fps though, there isn't a framerate hack yet as far as i know

i guess this goes next to dragon's dogma on my good-games-made-worse-by-shitty-framerates list

are you sure about 20fps? I would have noticed if Peace Walker from HD collection had that low fps, surely. Or it's not a straight up port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom