• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

That's usually true, which is why I asked how much the form factor of the machine played into the decision.

For the record, the $550 model is barely scraping by at meeting the system requirements for newer games like Alien. It doesn't meet the minimum CPU requirements for Mordor or The Evil Within.

I think I'd be disappointed in dropping that much cash on the Alpha, when you could buy a PS4 + all three of those games for less.

This is what I wanted to know. I'm fully aware of the alienware reputation too. I'm just extremely intrigued by these pre-built micro pcs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
these pages loading super fast, is that chrome or the ssd?

or just my old ass computer was just that, old

Grief.exe

Evil Within pre-load is live

Changed releasestate – prerelease › preloadonly

I had a friend help me with the pc I built 3 years ago. This was my first experience putting one together. I'm sure it's not rocket science though.

I just want to avoid any headaches as I don't have as much time as I used to. As underpowered as the thing probably is, it already has an OS and a controller comes with it (which isn't a big deal but kind of a nice bonus). The form factor is also attractive to me and I would imagine it gets less loud than what my pc is now.

If the alpha is as good or potentially a little better than the current consoles and goes for $550 this means that I could potentially grab a secondary console later on and still be under a grand for my gaming hobby. Anything more than that on gaming hardware I would feel a bit excessive. It's a self imposed rule.

The pc I built 3 years ago ended up costing me like $800 or so.

3 years ago? What are the specs? You will probably be just fine continuing with that or, worst-case scenario, throw in a 970 and you are good to go.

If you enjoy that type of form factor, then there are various options for you

htpc_shot4.jpg

dex3108

So one month later Destiny talk is pretty much dead. I don't know if i want it on PC anymore. What is your opinion SteamGAF?

AHA-Lambda

Hey guys, hope it's ok to ask for some advice on here about rigs (already asked in the PC thread too). I've got a preliminary plan for my new rig here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/...wl_rlist_go_o?

Can anyone give me their thoughts? Anything that should be changed for any reason (whether in terms of value for money something is better or if I've overlooked something obvious).

I have 2 PSU and 2 sets of RAM on it as I'm not sure what the differences were so please advise on that. Also I'm not looking for a fancy case I hope the cheap one I picked is ok.

So one month later Destiny talk is pretty much dead. I don't know if i want it on PC anymore. What is your opinion SteamGAF?

Disappointment of the year, probably. Mindboggling how sparse it is for the obscene amount of money spent on it.

Jawmuncher

The Alienware X51 was a good value for what it was when I bought it.
Haven't been tracking the new revisions.

Just saw the Dragon Age Inquistion Specs
Recommended:
OS
Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit

CPU
AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz
Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz

System RAM 8 GB

Graphics CARD
AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Graphics Memory 3 GB
Hard Drive 26 GB
DirectX 11

Not heavy at all. But I have to know if were dealing with Bioware Points again.
That's a HUGE factor on if I buy on PC or not.

EDIT: NO BIOWARE POINTS THANK THE LORD
http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-wont-use-bioware-points-for-dlc-purchases/

PSA : There are some pretty massive Alien:Iso spoiler pics in the PC Screenshot thread. Someone didn't read the rules, so avoid like the plague if you want to be legit shook in game.

Another World/Out of this World is going for $2.50. HLTB has it at 2 hours long, so it seems like it could be a fun little breezy game.

anyone know if it's worth it? Does it hold up? How does it handle checkpointing or saves?

Shadownet

Banned
Hey guys,

before I scrounge another key from a giveaway. Are their any unwritten rules? Like limit yourself to 1 a day or something?

Only enter for games you actually wanna play, not because you're planning on selling it or give it to someone else off-site.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Crash Time 2 -- MB-BEC3542AC32C0AAC - Taken by Casimir

derExperte

Another World/Out of this World is going for $2.50. HLTB has it at 2 hours long, so it seems like it could be a fun little breezy game.

anyone know if it's worth it? Does it hold up? How does it handle checkpointing or saves?

More checkpoints than in the original version and lower difficulty modes. You can also select chapters afaik, I liked it better than on the Amiga because of the higher framerate and the visuals are updated carefully.

MattyG

Banned
So I accidentally entered in my code from GMG for the Fighting Chance preorder pack first. It said "activate original game first". Has the DLC been activatactivated yet, or no? Because if not. I'm going to try to seLL if for a couple bucks on Ebay.

Jawmuncher

If your download finishes in 15 minutes, yes.
40GB is about 4 hours for me.
So it better be shorter than that then for unpacking.

So I accidentally entered in my code from GMG for the Fighting Chance preorder pack first. It said "activate original game first". Has the DLC been activatactivated yet, or no? Because if not. I'm going to try to seLL if for a couple bucks on Ebay.

Won't activate unless you own the game in your account first.
So the code is still unused.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-3288C6A6A23B50B9 - Taken by electroflame
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-B537E3863778C98D - Taken by electroflame

One of these is Canyon Capers, the other is Gun Monkeys. No idea which is which.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Check your account page. If it was registered you'll see it listed.

Holy shit, biscuit butter is amazing, it's even better than mixing nutella and peanut butter together.

Not to sound like a dick, but you do realise that posting mini-reviews of game-branded peanut butter is an even worse example of what you've provided in the OP as "poor posting behaviour", right? You do have something of a tendency to point out the "flaws" of others, so I'm sure you understand that your posts in particular tend to stand out. Again, I'm not trying to make an example of you: I myself make no pretensions that everything I post is entirely on-topic, although thread pace permitting I do my best to weave off-topic stuff into an otherwise on-topic post.

FloatOn

3 years ago? What are the specs? You will probably be just fine continuing with that or, worst-case scenario, throw in a 970 and you are good to go.

Phenom X 2
Radeon HD 6870
8gb ram

I'm just somewhat freaked out because of everyone losing their mind over the vram requirements the other day. I was talking to a friend just now and he told me to just buy one of the new games and if it runs like crap upgrade then. So far I've been fine. Dark Souls 2 ran great but I understand that wasn't the most graphically intense games. I'm mainly just concerned about the games that are coming out now that are designed around the new consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom