• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
1316713879_castle_reaction.gif
Mmmmmmmm
no one plays games here

Grief.exe

Phenom X 2
Radeon HD 6870
8gb ram

I'm just somewhat freaked out because of everyone losing their mind over the vram requirements the other day. I was talking to a friend just now and he told me to just buy one of the new games and if it runs like crap upgrade then. So far I've been fine. Dark Souls 2 ran great but I understand that wasn't the most graphically intense games. I'm mainly just concerned about the games that are coming out now that are designed around the new consoles.

$800 and a Phenom II in 2011 instead of a 2500k? That build seems very strange to me, especially since there were cheap i3s available with comparable/better performance. 2500k was just such a powerhouse it has always been worth buying at just about any budget.

FloatOn

3 years ago, $800, and you didn't end up with a 2500K? That seems strange to me.

my friend advised going amd for more "bang for my buck"

I bought some combo pack on newegg that had the video card and the cpu. I can't recall. I didn't have access to the student discount for the operating system at the time but now that I'm a student again, I've heard I can get windows for $50

madjoki

I don't think that's the culprit. I ordered from the store.

I'm a little bit angry right now.

I was mistaken, it seems to be other way around, the depot in CD-key's are not in Store package.

So cd-keys have correct while store package do not (despite having more depots).
CD-Keys have the same depot as in developer key.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Jawmuncher

it would affect everyone who is getting the game through steam, and seeing as it is a steamworks game, it affects everyone.

Ok so I was right in a sense. It's the steam store version having issues at the moment.
Hopefully they fix it soon then.

Yes.
But I meant that the problem isn't caused by a "missing" depo since the store version is the one with more depots. The store ones must be broken.

Ok now I get it.

inm8num2

Short plug - The Samaritan Paradox has been bundled a few times (Gala, Royale, Groupees), and I've got to say it's a pretty enjoyable adventure game. Not too difficult but some clever puzzles, and a pretty interesting story. If you've liked games such as the Blackwell series, check it out.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, one of the things that X-Com: TFTD has going for it is that it's still pretty easy to get wrecked and have to reload a save every so often. Actually, it feels like it's even easier to get wrecked in this one :|

So one month later Destiny talk is pretty much dead. I don't know if i want it on PC anymore. What is your opinion SteamGAF?

I'm still pretty indifferent towards it. It would be nice just to have it available on PC, but I'd never buy it.

Not to sound like a dick, but you do realise that posting mini-reviews of game-branded peanut butter is an even worse example of what you've provided in the OP as "poor posting behaviour", right?

What if it was a parody post just like some of the ones he's posted in various pc threads? :p

For those who haven't checked it out, Boot Hill Heroes has been released on Steam.

header.jpg

A western RPG -mostly- inspired by Earthbound (and others). And, it looks very good:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwF0nrU418

It's $4.49 right now (50% off for the first week).

I've been looking forward to it after seeing its Greenlight page. Still debating on whether I want to get it right now or not later tonight. With all of the other games in my backlog, I don't really need to buy more. But I still sort of want to.

Grief.exe

my friend advised going amd for more "bang for my buck"

I bought some combo pack on newegg that had the video card and the cpu. I can't recall. I didn't have access to the student discount for the operating system at the time but now that I'm a student again, I've heard I can get windows for $50

He advised you incorrectly. He would have been correct circa 2009, but not at that point. The sad thing is, if you had a 2500k you could get by perfectly fine by just throwing in a new graphics card into your current build.

Messiah

Well, one of the things that X-Com: TFTD has going for it is that it's still pretty easy to get wrecked and have to reload a save every so often. Actually, it feels like it's even easier to get wrecked in this one :|

Finding the last enemy in the giant maps is the worst. I prefer the old X-Com to the Firaxis remake still.

Well, one of the things that X-Com: TFTD has going for it is that it's still pretty easy to get wrecked and have to reload a save every so often. Actually, it feels like it's even easier to get wrecked in this one :| [/URL]

I never have the crazy problems with Lobstermen that most people have, but there's always a few missions in a playthrough that really go south, usually due to Bio-Drones.

Really can't wait for OpenTFTD. OpenXCOM is incredible.

aku:jiki

Well, cowboy RPG certainly looks awesome. Wishlisted as reminder for the inevitable bundling.

these pages loading super fast, is that chrome or the ssd?

or just my old ass computer was just that, old
It's just your relative experience compared to the old computer, since Chrome isn't very fast and SSD shouldn't have that noticeable an effect (considering how little data you're talking about). One of the things that annoys me about my "new" rig is that neither Chrome or FF render pages very quickly; it's like the only thing I do on my machine that doesn't feel snappy as fuck.

I installed Waterfox and noticed that it renders significantly quicker but I've been too lazy to switch over.

Was about to pull the trigger on the Amazon UK Evil Within but I was too lazy to make another account. Oh well, maybe it will be super cheap on halloween
hehe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This really bothers me more than it should:

The fact that it hasn't been fixed in the last few days kinda tells me that Valve seems like they're asleep at the wheel. This happens because the individual containers are each about 2 pixels too wide to fit. It's like a super simple fix:

The .group_overview_announcement.first CSS class has a 12px right margin that when shorted to 7px produces the above.

I have reservations about even adding this fix to Enhanced Steam because it seems like such a blatant bug that it would have been fixed by now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was about to pull the trigger on the Amazon UK Evil Within but I was too lazy to make another account. Oh well, maybe it will be super cheap on halloween
hehe

All you need to do is add a UK-based billing address. It takes all of about two minutes. ;)

jshackles

ok so can I just get this legendary cpu and get an nvdia card with the stuff I have now, or will I have to get a new motherboard and whatnot too?

Unfortunately you'd need a new motherboard as AMD and Intel CPU sockets aren't standardized.

The i5-2500k is also old enough to no longer be sold new any more, you'd have to find a used one (and probably a used motherboard as well).

For those who haven't checked it out, Boot Hill Heroes has been released on Steam.

header.jpg

A western RPG -mostly- inspired by Earthbound (and others). And, it looks very good:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwF0nrU418

It's $4.49 right now (50% off for the first week).

I bought this for my Vita...its pretty flaky there...it likes to crash. i still want to play it though, as what little I was able to play was pretty cool. Hopefully it runs better on Steam.

That price is enough that I'll probably double dip on it (that and I have some Gaben bucks).

FloatOn

Unfortunately you'd need a new motherboard as AMD and Intel CPU sockets aren't standardized.

that's what I was afraid of. so basically I would need a new motherboard, new cpu and new gpu to be golden for this new wave of games.

I'm going to price this out and see what's what

jshackles

If your motherboard is AM3+ you can get an FX-6300 series and then upgrade you GPU.

This is the correct answer. If you're not sure what's compatible, if you can give us the model number of your motherboard we can recommend the best upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom