• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Unfortunately you'd need a new motherboard as AMD and Intel CPU sockets aren't standardized.

The i5-2500k is also old enough to no longer be sold new any more, you'd have to find a used one (and probably a used motherboard as well).

Yeah, sockets change about as quickly as the weather.

Vuze

Talking about "friends doing your first build for you":
guy recommended me a CPU which didn't fit my socket (I didn't know anything about how this all works so I just trusted him). Frustration, but atleast you realize this early on.
Sent the CPU back, ordered a fitting one.
Proceeded to build the rig, put everything in etc., now I couldn't find the front panel connectors on the mainboard. Turns out my old graphics card covered them up because *drumroll* I was recommended a mATX board. Yup.
So... unplug every cable, unscrew mainboard, take of CPU fan, remove CPU, send mainboard back to get a new one.

FUN TIMES. Took me about one and a half week longer to build the PC than anticipated. Atleast I got used to building rigs, it's fun.

For those who haven't checked it out, Boot Hill Heroes has been released on Steam.

header.jpg

A western RPG -mostly- inspired by Earthbound (and others). And, it looks very good:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwF0nrU418

It's $4.49 right now (50% off for the first week).

Holy shit. Insta-wishlisted!

Such a shame the game doesn't even appear on the popular new releases tab...

kevin1025

Banned
Interesting to note that the whole OST was made to match SNES sound chip (8 channels, ~60 kB of ADPCM samples per song).

It was the tipping point to making me purchase the game, that tied to the visuals and the inspirations are more than enough to make me happy. I will give some impressions of the first hour or so...in an hour or so!

madjoki

Alien Isolation is now region locked.

Package on store page doesn't seem to be changed yet. So it's still unlocked for now.
Probably matter of time before it's changed.

And since it's new package, seems like it's not going to be retroactive. Go hoard some copies. :p

chronomac

Anyone here have experience switching from an Nvidia card to an AMD? I have a GTX 460 now and should have an HD 7950 coming in the mail today. From what I understand, I should just use this to uninstall all the drivers, reboot, shut down, install the new card, power on and install the newest Catalyst driver, right? Is there anything else I should be worried about?

Kiru

I just noticed that this setting here doesn't work anymore. It always gets unticked after saving the changes... FIX YOUR SHIT VALVE!

wato5utq.png

Anyone who used that setting, check your settings, your gifts are probably viewable for everyone out there.

EDIT: That gradient is pretty ugly

Fox318

Too many Western and Eastern RPGs

Where are the Southern RPGs?

Antarctica is being pushed aside by the elitist games media!!!

anything AAA wise that's good coming to steam this year? Only thing I've spotted on the site that I'm interested in is the new Civ game. Everything else looks like a shooter or something violent.

MUnited83

For you.
Package on store page doesn't seem to be changed yet. So it's still unlocked for now.
Probably matter of time before it's changed.

And since it's new package, seems like it's not going to be retroactive. Go hoard some copies. :p

Nobody on dispenser.tf is selling it anymore, so I assume the package already changed :/

Grief.exe

anything AAA wise that's good coming to steam this year? Only thing I've spotted on the site that I'm interested in is the new Civ game. Everything else looks like a shooter or something violent.

I've been going off this list for upcoming game releases http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/10/09/2014-video-game-release-schedule.aspx

Some games I am personally looking forward to

FF XIII (released yesterday)
Evil Within (extremely violent)
Lords of the Fallen (violent)
Legend of Korra
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Geometry Wars

L.O.R.D

OMG,OMG,OMG
too many games at the same time
i dropped DR3 because i can't play it on 10-15 FPS

now its been almost 2 days downloading FF XIII ( i blame neogaf for this )
and now, Ryse is released and i think its good optimized
and after 3 days evil within is going to be released , but some local stores in my town put Xbox 360/PS3 version of it and start thinking maybe my PC will not be able to play this game just like DR3
i don't have PS4 or X1
and start thinking i better get PS4

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dying Light is still open isn't it.
Still waiting to grab that soon.

Yeah, for now. I wouldn't dilly-dally.

Edit: Speaking of Disney's presence on Steam still feels like some sort of bizarre dream.

I just noticed that this setting here doesn't work anymore. It always gets unticked after saving the changes... FIX YOUR SHIT VALVE!

wato5utq.png

Anyone who used that setting, check your settings, your gifts are probably viewable for everyone out there.

EDIT: That gradient is pretty ugly

That option is checked by default. It is a potential issue if you've ever listed a game on TF2 Outpost, though, as the site requires that your gift inventory be public.

Strider

Forgot Legend of Korra finally got it's steam page so I added that to my wishlist as well to remind me I need to pick it up at some point.

While I'm on the subject of action/hack n slash games... Outside of Platinum which other games would you guys recommend I pick up on Steam? One series off the top of my head that I feel I need to try is Devil May Cry. I noticed DmC 3 and 4 are both on steam. Do any of you recommend both or should I just get one of them? 4 is the best correct?

Be sure to get Bayonetta 1 alongside #2, it's one of the best games of this last gen.

The Bayo demo moved me from "I'll get it at some point" to "DAY 1 OMG" so I just placed my preorder on Amazon. It comes with both Bayo 1 & 2 so I'll be playing through Bayo 1 first. Game releases the same day as Civ: Beyond Earth though so I'll have to switch between the two of them.

kevin1025

Banned
This will be a short impressions, as I've only put 0.6 hours into it, but here's what I thought of Boot Hill Heroes so far:

It is absolutely inspired by Earthbound and SNES style RPG's of that time. The graphical style is very reminiscent of that period (the area scrolling and the point of view are as Earthbound as it gets), as is the incredible music (which is what gave me the final push to purchase).

The story seems okay, has a decent set-up of an outlaw gang being run out of town/disbanding because of the main character's father and it picks up ten years later as you, named Kid, go out into town to help your mother with making ends meet. Along the way you meet Rosa, your first party member.

The combat is very, very much like Shining Force, maybe more like Shining in the Darkness. First person, list of attack options, and the animations are similar to that. There is some clever writing when you go in and out of battles, but it repeats rather than having newer things to say. The combat is simple: you choose an attack, you wait for the ATB bar to fill, then rinse and repeat with different types of attack, or dodge (and block comes not too long after).

There are equip items which add different attributes. One of the downsides is that there isn't options for resolution or the like, outside of switching from KB/M to controller.

I like what I have played, and am interested in continuing. Plus the save points are dogs. I repeat, dogs are save points. I'd say it's worth wishlisting or buying based on that alone.

dani_dc

The Bayo demo moved me from "I'll get it at some point" to "DAY 1 OMG" so I just placed my preorder on Amazon. It comes with both Bayo 1 & 2 so I'll be playing through Bayo 1 first. Game releases the same day as Civ: Beyond Earth though so I'll have to switch between the two of them.

That's an issue, you don't "Switch" out of Civ until 10 hours later.

Good call otherwise.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Finding the last enemy in the giant maps is the worst. I prefer the old X-Com to the Firaxis remake still.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to jump into Apocalypse once I finish TFTD or if I should skip to Enemy Unknown. I think I might just get Apocalypse out of the way before playing the Firaxis remake.

That's about 80% of AAA games, and a good portion of indie and small publisher games too :p

I've been going off this list for upcoming game releases http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/10/09/2014-video-game-release-schedule.aspx

Some games I am personally looking forward to

FF XIII (released yesterday)
Evil Within (extremely violent)
Lords of the Fallen (violent)
Legend of Korra
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Geometry Wars

I dunno, BoI: Rebirth seems pretty violent, but maybe it's just me. Korra has mild violence too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom