• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Sun at Night -- MB-2E0EEC360BD68C83 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-3E5FDAD15366D187 - Taken by CyanideFuse
Deadly 30 -- MB-416A00CCB41E908F - Taken by electroflame
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-74CA4B329371FD5F - Taken by Ronik
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-1DD690320ED1CF97 - Taken by Zeeman
Great Permutator -- MB-2B9C7152D851661F - Taken by derExperte
Strata -- MB-4A9C1863EA1B00FC - Taken by Knurek
Farm Machines Championships 2014 -- MB-AE34A12C32582444 - Taken by nja
Revolution Ace -- MB-8DE0D7D23C8C133D - Taken by Abomination
Procyon -- MB-E02E28BEAD57C940 - Taken by autoduelist
Paranormal State: Poison Spring -- MB-18C2058625B6E0EF - Taken by Lomax

The Mystery Bundle, in the end, wasn't a total bust as that President for a Day game goes for $10.99.

Decline it then send a trade offer back - Bad Rats for 4 TF2 keys. The offer should be fair enough since they're just useless in-game items.

Haha, sadly I declined it before posting.

MayMay

Banned
Played a bit of the Borderlands Pre-Sequel with a buddy of mine, we just wanted to check it out. Only way to play online atm is with a VPN (on Steam) and thats really laggy so we only played the opening. Good so far.
Shame it unlocks on Thursday/Friday in the EU >_>

FloatOn

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a gaming PC. Thanks to indie bundles, steam sales, and GAF giveaways, I have around 250 games in my steam collection!

I've never gamed on PC's before, and plan on using big picture mode and a gamepad for almost everything. Is there anything that I really need to buy/install on day one as a new pc gamer? Any utilities, steam mods, etc?

did you buy the alpha? which model did you settle on?

Dr Dogg

I'm just waiting until FF13's combat gives me a little more than 'press A to awesome'

Well you have the one button does all Auto Battle which is Press A to do a thing. Or if you want to set it up a level you can press down twice select Techniques then select Libra then select Auto Battle so down, down, A, A to do two things. Or for the really advanced you can got to Abilities by pressing down and then select you attacks which at the start are a little limited. So that's down, A, left., A to do a thing. Bottom line at about Chapter 3 you can level up and then slowly but surely new mechanics and abilities trickle there way into gameplay but Libra then Auto Battle, Auto Battle, Auto Battle... (you get where I'm going with this) serves me good for a very, very long time. Once Paradigms open up a little and then when more roles become available speed and efficiency are the order of the day. So Libra, Auto Battle, Switch Paradigm, Auto Battle, Auto Battle...

Yeah I'm not really selling you on this am I? Boss Battles can get hectic and if you want a challenge don't upgrade Hope as the little shit dies in seconds when fully leveled.

I've always thought that this Deadly 30 picture looks hilariously bad

header_292x136.jpg

cracks me every time

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Hinomura, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 33 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Infinite Space III Sea of Stars -- MB-4141AB086C10FE80 - Taken by gngf123. 4 entrants total.
Crystals of Time -- MB-82F03347488108FC - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 4 entrants total.
Chrome -- MB-E25D533A10886594 - Taken by 7Sins. 1 entrants total.
The Maker's Eden -- MB-0EDAFF1469C5012E - Taken by Aitor. 2 entrants total.
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-1BC0AAB0739D5003 - Taken by confuziz. 1 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep The Cursed Heart -- MB-7B46845E1DB793B2 - Taken by Haunted. 2 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky -- MB-90FAA58760E87210 - Taken by Shalashaska. 15 entrants total.
The Escapist -- MB-4A7B311C24182D44 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 4 entrants total.
3089 Futuristic Action RPG FPS -- MB-8980E08DB2CDA64C - Taken by Porcupine. 2 entrants total.
Chrome SpecForce -- MB-2423ED3D53A01E98
Power-Up -- MB-8C6743F25B55808E - Taken by bronson. 2 entrants total.
The Mysterious Cities of Gold -- MB-ED2F63D04776DBB9 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
Dead Effect -- MB-1C4D35106451FD33 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Wooden Sen'SeY -- MB-5CF9EFE4DA3734A7 - Taken by rainking187. 4 entrants total.
Epigenesis -- MB-1C67C8A5874AFE92 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Bleed -- MB-50D52450B864EEAC - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 11 entrants total.
Enigmatis The Mists of Ravenwood -- MB-D752F06F1EAA52A4 - Taken by Kifimbo. 3 entrants total.
The Sun at Night -- MB-474B2B3C65BC4E98 - Taken by Zia. 6 entrants total.
Depth Hunter 2 Deep Dive -- MB-0F1B3070D2397FA8 - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.

Circuits -- MB-8A43D407A35D8C21 - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 1 entrants total.
Bad Hotel -- MB-5CB79F488F8BCB17 - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-51627E673AA55006 - Taken by 19Kilo. 1 entrants total.
Major Mayhem -- MB-4D064D37885972F3 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Steam Bandits Outpost -- MB-284A5F98E135BC54 - Taken by provista. 2 entrants total.
BlackSoul Extended Edition -- MB-541540440E744C94 - Taken by agniswarm. 3 entrants total.

Dreaming Sarah -- MB-5DC66A5FB53E8C3A
Battlepaths -- MB-608B3CED72AA654F - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.
Huntsman The Orphanage -- MB-17E07C98ED46A95B - Taken by 7Sins. 1 entrants total.
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-FA2C19886C495DBD - Taken by Buttonbasher. 4 entrants total.
9 Clues The Secret of Serpent Creek -- MB-BE82018EF8C46B21 - Taken by Scipius. 3 entrants total.
Freaking Meatbags -- MB-95FA0B6273609A3C - Taken by Phawx. 6 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep The Siren's Call -- MB-B24F0DE5758F57D7 - Taken by Mleugie. 4 entrants total.
Puddle -- MB-327EDA38C547BED5 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 9 entrants total.

t1413232800z1.png

Dr Dogg

Doing things manually is more efficient in a lot of cases since the auto-battle isn't really spot on with it's selections most of the time.

I was catching up on the news Sunday morning so was reading and not paying attention to what was going on in the game and I swear one fight took about 6 mins when the Target time was about 30 seconds.

I've found the early areas pretty restricted until you have a few more roles to play with and can shift to respective Paradigms to Stagger quickly and deal massive burst damage just using Auto Battle right up until about Chapter 7. Then a teeny bit more thought needs to go into things because of the enemy combos. But you're right, Auto Battle will more than likely chose the wrong commands at the wrong time at least a once a fight, more depending on how long it lasts.

Deitus

FF13I is looking seriously breathtaking.
Story isn't so bad, not sure why people were complaining so much - nothing as stupid as 'we were all orphans in the same asylum, but weapon induced amnesia caused us not to remember anything', 'murder clown with god complex destroys the world' or however you can summarize FF7.
Battle system is so far almost as good as FF12 had, and I still haven't left the tutorial areas (start of Chapter 4).
And music, oh god, the music...

The complaints about the plot of FFXIII are honestly completely overblown. If anything, the story is too simple. For 80% of the game, the plot is some combination of "the military is trying to hunt us down, run for your lives" and "I don't want to die, but I also don't want to destroy everyone and everything I've ever known". The twist late in the game, is pretty much inline with Final Fantasy plots, and really isn't anywhere near as ridiculous as anything in FFVIII (time compression, come on).

It's pacing, characterization, and dialogue where FFXIII really suffers.

But yeah, the music is phenomenal.

has anyone else been having trouble with ds4windows? it doesn't hid the generic controller which makes every game take in 2 inputs, 1 from the generic controller and 1 from the xbox controller. I didn't used to have this problem until just recently. I don't even see the Hide Dualshock option anymore, I'm just assuming it was renamed to "Exclusive mode"

kiyomi

Is there any reason why certain cloud syncs take exponentially longer than others? Almost all of my games sync immediately after I'm done with them, but F1 2013 takes forever, meaning that if I come out of the game to quickly change a setting, and then attempt to reopen it, I can't, until the sync is done.

I mean it's taken me 5 minutes to do this, and right now the upload speed for it is 530 bytes/second. Not kilobytes, bytes. In the same time as it finished syncing, I downloaded the entireity of Don't Starve.

What gives?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Styx is legit. Bit janky (or very janky) but thats expected from Cyanide, but what it does it does well. Game has heart. Stream was fun, thanks for those that watched it.

Im going to stream Evil Within tomorow aswell, so between Alien, Styx and then TEW, I want to stream everything >_>

Also, computer temps are much better now, although Styx isnt the most demanding game.

DogMeat77

I guess the Speedrunners event leaked, although fake and boring so I could just as well announce the real one.

RQJPZCn.png

Any number of challengers, if more than 3 enters, then I will split it in 2+ teams.
One win in any official map gives you 1 free random Steam game, no limit to wins.
We will play all official maps once.

Game 1:
t1413230400z0.png

Game 2(?):
t1413235800z0.png

Team 1:
#iosefe
#The_Super_Inframan
#dot

Team 2:

COME AT ME!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Bottom line at about Chapter 3 you can level up and then slowly but surely new mechanics and abilities trickle there way into gameplay

There we go. That's what I'm looking for!

I see they went the AssCreed 3 route with the tutorial. Here's a new mechanic, use it for the next 150 battles.

I've actually started a little game called 'how quick can I end this fight'. My fastest is 3 seconds.

Dr Dogg

Styx is legit. Bit janky (or very janky) but thats expected from Cyanide, but what it does it does well. Game has heart. Stream was fun, thanks for those that watched it.

Im going to stream Evil Within tomorow aswell, so between Alien, Styx and then TEW, I want to stream everything >_>

Also, computer temps are much better now, although Styx isnt the most demanding game.

Well Styx is an Unreal Engine 3 game so it's pretty much a 2 core workload where as Alien Isolation should take advantage of what you got and spread it's load around what cores you have. What sort of temps were you getting playing Alien Isolation? 90C right? Well let's see if it will cook my PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Played a bit of the Borderlands Pre-Sequel with a buddy of mine, we just wanted to check it out. Only way to play online atm is with a VPN (on Steam) and thats really laggy so we only played the opening. Good so far.
Shame it unlocks on Thursday/Friday in the EU >_>

almost tempted with this gmg 25% voucher, I loved the first, and while the second was disapointing, I still played it quite a bit I just didnt do all the dlc or get to the lvl cap

but then I remembered that these games have ridiculous amounts of DLC so for once, Ill just wait for the GOTY edition

Well Styx is an Unreal Engine 3 game so it's pretty much a 2 core workload where as Alien Isolation should take advantage of what you got and spread it's load around what cores you have. What sort of temps were you getting playing Alien Isolation? 90C right? Well let's see if it will cook my PC.

75-80º on Alien I believe, 90º was on DR3 (from just 30mins too), both while streaming if that matters. There was deffo something wrong, hell I actually HEAR fans now lol

On my i5-4570 I barely hit 60C. And I only have the stock cooler. :p

If I had to guess it would be the stream that is causing the extra load for Rhaknar. Unless it was hitting 90C without OBS running.

Rhaknar

On my i5-4570 I barely hit 60C. And I only have the stock cooler. :p

If I had to guess it would be the stream that is causing the extra load for Rhaknar. Unless it was hitting 90C without OBS running.

both with streaming yeah. Styx streaming was around 60-65º

both with streaming yeah. Styx streaming was around 60-65º
Unless you switched over to NVEnc from x264 in OBS's settings, you're using your CPU to record and stream. And that can make your CPU run pretty hot since it'll be pushed so hard. (But I'd still get it looked at like you said you were gonna)

Rhaknar

Unless you switched over to NVEnc from x264 in OBS's settings, you're using your CPU to record and stream. And that can make your CPU run pretty hot since it'll be pushed so hard. (But I'd still get it looked at like you said you were gonna)

im using x264 because thats what OBS said to use :(

you say I should change that?

MattyG

Banned
So people are unlocking TEW with VPN then? Should I do this? Can someone explain to me how it works? Are there any risks asassociated with it?

Dr Dogg

75-80º on Alien I believe, 90º was on DR3 (from just 30mins too), both while streaming if that matters. There was deffo something wrong, hell I actually HEAR fans now lol

Well here's a brief glimpse at what I get using a 4670k so next to no difference between yours and mine bar some improvements your end.
So running flat out on the GPU side of things I'm not even stressing my CPU and only getting mid 30s with the ambient temperature here in the house at 20-23C. Going for a bonkers 120-160fps which stresses the CPU much more now only moves it a little higher with a high of 46C but realistically it's about 40-42 on average.

Streaming and encoding video on the fly is a lot more demanding that a game on its own let alone the two together but under a full AVX load I don't get above 75C using a pretty standard single tower Phantek heatsink. Might be worth having a look what your temps are under something like AIDA64 or Intel Burn Test (or if you're a masochist like me a OCCT AVX Linpack load). That or ask the guy who put it together to have a look.

Shadownet

Banned
Something just happened to my PC. I was just watching YouTube and suddenly there an error that pop up saying something about Explorer.exe

Then it automatically shutdown the PC. Now whenever I press the power button, it turn on, I can hear all the fans running but I dont hear that beep anymore that suppose to whenever I turn on my computer, also nothing appear on my monitor.

Edit: Nevermind. It turned on now. I have no idea what happened. I unplugged the power supply and plug it back in.

I was so scared. I thought my motherboard died.

abracadaver

A friend of me is not sure what system to get this gen. He's deciding between PS4 or a gaming PC. Tomorrow he will come over to check out The Evil Within. It better be well optimized or he will get a pretty bad impression of PC gaming.

Grief.exe

Something just happened to my PC. I was just watching YouTube and suddenly there an error that pop up saying something about Explorer.exe

Then it automatically shutdown the PC. Now whenever I press the power button, it turn on, I can hear all the fans running but I dont hear that beep anymore that suppose to whenever I turn on my computer, also nothing appear on my monitor.

Reset your bios and see if that turns it over.

Jawmuncher

The complaints about the plot of FFXIII are honestly completely overblown. If anything, the story is too simple. For 80% of the game, the plot is some combination of "the military is trying to hunt us down, run for your lives" and "I don't want to die, but I also don't want to destroy everyone and everything I've ever known". The twist late in the game, is pretty much inline with Final Fantasy plots, and really isn't anywhere near as ridiculous as anything in FFVIII (time compression, come on).

It's pacing, characterization, and dialogue where FFXIII really suffers.

But yeah, the music is phenomenal.

That's true to a point.
Majority of people don't know what the hell the falcie and lcie stuff is though. Hell I still don't. The fact that you have to dumb down the story to its most simple factor is pretty bad when there's more on the table.

Grief.exe

That's true to a point.
Majority of people don't know what the hell the falcie and lcie stuff is though. Hell I still don't. The fact that you have to dumb down the story to its most simple factor is pretty bad when there's more on the table.

I just read the Datalog and now I'm all caught up on the war between Pulse and Cocoon Fal'cie and the hierarchy present on Cocoon. They are obviously holding some stuff back for later, but you can easily understand the background in all of 5 minutes.

Of course, expecting the modern gamer to read or have critical thought is like asking a dog to fly ;)

Jawmuncher

Ok so evil within might be unlocked for Germany in 2-3 hours. Guess we shall see. Suppose I should get my VPN stuff ready ahead of time.

Jawmuncher

I just read the Datalog and now I'm all caught up on the war between Pulse and Cocoon Fal'cie and the hierarchy present on Cocoon. They are obviously holding some stuff back for later, but you can easily understand the background in all of 5 minutes.

Of course, expecting the modern gamer to read or have critical thought is like asking a dog to fly ;)

Personally I still feel you're failing with story if you make anyway have to go out of their way to learn something which is the main focus of the story.

Just finished the story in Mafia II. It was pretty well done, but the missables! What the fuck! Also, open world and story mode don't really mesh. There was no downtime. There were over 125 wanted posters around the city and I think I picked up four. Not sure who's gonna traipse all over town for one measly achievement, but I'm not one of 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom