• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
That's why they generally have a grounded main character either with amnesia (FFVI) or someone not as familiar with the world at large, think farmer Luke from Star Wars.

In FFXIII everyone is intrinsically connected to the world. Sometimes they force some things in with Vanille where she says she didn't pay attention in school or doesn't read the newspaper, but that's somewhat of a stretch.
True but we all know that sure is the lazy way out.
Yeah, it's an incredibly lazy way of doing exposition. It's almost like their writers aren't all that great..
They aren't

Refreshed the Newegg Open Box Rog Swift page, said in stock, clicked add to cart and nothing happened. Refreshed again and out of stock. FUCK
Damn man, that sucks. I wish you luck with your hunt! Although you can always be happy you're not living in Denmark, the price for one here is equivalent of $1250~, it's incredibly depressing. I really want me some 144 HZ, 1440 lightboost-Gsyncness. :(

Yay, new headphones arrive tomorrow. Still need to sort out the microphone situation though, but I can deal with that later.

Also, you know your lecture is going to be interesting when it starts off with a wee discussion of certain publicly visible tweets. Thankfully, the lecturer in question is a decent enough bloke that no testes were smashed.
The age of social media, eh? Brilliant. And which headphones did you decide on?

I'm wondering if someone here can help me out.

Can someone who is on my friends list send me a trade offer? I don't care what it is, it could be a coupon or something useless - it'll get declined.

You know, for science and stuff.
I'd help you, but... I don't have you on Steam. HINT HINT
I need more SteamGAF friends, damnit!

What do you guys think of this spine for my physical boxes? Totally preliminary here, including a lower resolution Steam logo. Completely open to suggestions here.
Really like the idea, although I think it'd work better incorporating the new design of Steam. (Think the windows icon, the round-blue ones with the piston inside) - So maybe have a lovely blue gradiant (possibly in a carbon-fibre-esque pattern) instead of the pure black. Just my 2 cents, and I'm no design genius.
I'm just one of those folks that actually likes the new design Steam has. It's pwitty.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I can get this working so that in the next version of Enhanced Steam there will be a button that will let you get rid of these without having to make a new offer / waiting / etc.
Brilliant. Now we just need you to shout at Valvo, have them hire you, take them over from the inside-out and then... You know... Make a client that's not shoddy. You know, an entirely new one with as good an SDK if not an even better one ;>
damn, it really IS dangerous outside of steamgaf O_O

Edit: uh oh :/
Yes, yes it is. You should've seen the amount of over-zealous feminist shitpoisting going on in a Witcher 3 thread over a single render of Saskia from TW2.
Opening up a gambeson apparently means sexism, eyecandy, fanservice and exploiting women

AHA-Lambda

Woah, Jesus, I thought the gamergate thing had surely died down by now! D:

Has something else happened to spur on more of this stuff?

Deitus

thats the guy that does francis or whatever? what is this gamergate issue that he got banned for?

Oh, my sweet summer child. You're probably better off remaining blissfully ignorant.

It's hard to sum up exactly what Gamergate is, but the gist of it is that a bunch of people are engaged in harassment against women, and people who care about women's issues in games, under the guise of caring about "ethics in journalism." This has been going on since August.

Not sure exactly what Boogie did to get banned (yes, he is the guy that does Francis). He initially considered him in support of gamergate, but opposed to the harassment. At some point, enough evidence was presented to him that the two were inseparable, that he denounced his association. Not sure what happened in between then and now.

That thread must be fish in a barrel for mods.

The thread is definitely a graveyard. But if the thread being created by a mod, with very explicit instructions in bold didn't tip people off to be careful what they say and how they say it, there was no hope for them.

Woah, Jesus, I thought the gamergate thing had surely died down by now! D:

Has something else happened to spur on more of this stuff?

As far as I can tell, no. People just want to rage, and they refuse to let it die. It's awful.

The age of social media, eh? Brilliant. And which headphones did you decide on?

Aye, of all the people to have found all the stuff, not that there was much of it anyway, it's probably for the best that he was the one who found them, else'd they'd have been in deep shit.

Superlux HD668B Headphones, were recommended by someone on here Grief.exe I think it was, for my price range, £32.

Dr Dogg

I wonder if the digital retailer Gamers Gate saw an upturn in business or a rabble at their doors over the past month or so? I only hear their name these days when they make one of their pricing goofs.

Maniac

Banned
Aye, of all the people to have found all the stuff, not that there was much of it anyway, it's probably for the best that he was the one who found them, else'd they'd have been in deep shit.

Superlux HD668B Headphones, were recommended by someone on here Grief.exe I think it was, for my price range, £32.
Yup, it was Grief. I remember because I checked out the headphones he mentioned, and was really tempted by these myself! They look gosh-darn great, hope they serve ya' well.
Finally downloading TEW!
(code from amazon.co.uk)
20 hours and I'm ready ^____^
I'm still on the fence. Gonna wait for reviews, GAF impressions and then to see how it runs for people with similar specs as mine (or maybe I'll sail under the black flag to do a benchmark)
If the reviews and impressions are good, and my rig runs it well, I'll buy the shit out of it. Because it does look rather nice. Atleast I have Alien & Shadow of Mordor to hold me over until I decide :|

AHA-Lambda

Woah damn, it is sad to see Jim Sterling feel this way :S

I thought this shit was over now. To think this all happened from Zoe Quinn's ex =/

I've made it clear to Greg in no uncertain times that I felt left out to dry by that article, and that it put the site's reputation through the wringer. For what it's worth, I generally have a lot of respect when it comes to editorial over there, and I'm usually consulted on anything with controversial potential to offer my input on how to improve a piece, or even if a piece is a good idea to run. In this case, I wasn't asked for input, and that's been acknowledged as a mistake.

I think Greg, at the very least, wants to make it right.

I won't lie, I've been considering my future a lot lately. Not just when it comes to my current job, but my entire choice of industry. The past six weeks have brought that up for a lot of people. Fact is, I don't know what road I'm taking with regards to leaving or cutting back content anywhere. All I know for sure is that right now, the love for what I do is lower than it's ever been, and I am doing what I can to keep myself into it.

Grief.exe

The Evil Within released worldwide

Added community_visible_stats – 1
about a minute agoChanged releasestate – preloadonly › released

MattyG

Banned

I thought this shit was over now. To think this all happened from Zoe Quinn's ex =/
Who is the Greg he's talking about? That sucks that people are taking pot shots at Jim or whatever they're doing, he's been one of the few voices of reason in this whole thing. Really great guy, great writer, everything. He's earned some major respect from me over the past few months.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Are the (GOTY) PS3 and PC versions of Batman: Arkham City identical, content-wise?

Batman Arkham Asylum has some exclusive content for PS3. If City has content parity, I'll trade in my PS3 copy to apply it towards Bayo 2.

Hinomura

If the reviews and impressions are good, and my rig runs it well, I'll buy the shit out of it. Because it does look rather nice. Atleast I have Alien & Shadow of Mordor to hold me over until I decide :|
I trusted Mikami... it's been not easy to find the best deal (amazon.co.uk) and I'm pretty videogames-holic.
By the way, I'm pretty sure you'll have great fun with Alien and Mordor ^___^

BruteUA

Thanks again for the help! Look for this button coming soon

Hopefully I didn't miss someone else saying it, but the button says "deline this trade offer". I can only imagine the emails you'd get.

NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I HIT DELINE, THE TRADE DECLINES INSTEAD OF DELINES. I WANT THESE LINES GONE SO I CAN PLAY STEAM GAMES IN MY BROWSER WITH ENCHANTED STEAM NOW!

AHA-Lambda

Who is the Greg he's talking about? That sucks that people are taking pot shots at Jim or whatever they're doing, he's been one of the few voices of reason in this whole thing. Really great guy, great writer, everything. He's earned some major respect from me over the past few months.

I'm not sure I get the impression from the context he must be someone over at the escapist.

I'm guessing it's this guy: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...iews/12392-Greg-Costikyan-GamerGate-Interview

I really hope Jim Sterling doesn't leave the industry, over the years I've come to appreciate his work.

yuraya

Gives you a general idea why Steam sales perform so well. Note the +13,000% on Cities XL.

Bz3IY-QCYAEZX09.png:large

Holy shit lol

Was 32491 Now 249. Thats only with 75% off. I wonder how it would have moved if it was higher.

Hinomura

Anyway, if you have (had) even the slightest interest in jrpg games, please consider Final Fantasy XIII. For about 10 hours it's a long tutorial about its peculiar battle system, but the story is interesting so far. The CGI cutscenes are wonderful and are a good companion to the story. Do it! ^___^

(I have it for PS3, but had horror story about firmware/psn/game updates with final hdd crash and a day to format it :S)

tmarg

This predates the Zoe Quinn thing. The first major blow up was probably Sarkeesian's kickstarter.

The Zoe Quinn situation lead to Leigh Alexander writing the "Gamers are Dead" article, and the creation of the hashtag in response, but this is the same stuff we've been dealing with for years now.

Miguel81

I wonder if the digital retailer Gamers Gate saw an upturn in business or a rabble at their doors over the past month or so? I only hear their name these days when they make one of their pricing goofs.

I can't even get on their site. It's been like this for a few days now.

Momentary

Banned
One of these the devs said something about didn't they?

Really? Both of them should head on over since they both play on PC hardware anyway. I swear, if I up and win the lottery one day, I would arrange something between pubs, devs, and QLOC to port some games from these companies. As long as I got my cut in return.

Hinomura

Used them quite a few times. Sometimes you can get a nice deal and they are among the few legit websites.

MayMay

Banned
At least Bethesda finally said they're going to fix all the issues present in 60fps mode with TEW - if there are any.. so thats good news. Even though that should've already happened.

As silly as this might sound, I've been seriously wondering the same thing for a couple of days now. I bet their social accounts have been getting weird messages about this GamerGate thing from people that didn't know they are a retailer :lol

I kinda forgot about them, but I'll never forget that 2,5€ Borderlands 2 4-pack nor that 25€ Bethesda Complete pack... Good times.

tmarg

Used them quite a few times. Sometimes you can get a nice deal and they are among the few legit websites.

They used to be great, a few years back, but as the competition got tougher they never really managed to keep up.

They also kept trying to push their own DRM for too long, as everyone else moved to Steam keys, which didn't help matters.

Shadownet

Banned
I just spent an hour and a half taking apart my PC and put it back together. It seem like whatever the problem was that kept shutting down my computer is gone. I even clean it.

Nothing feel better than having a clean computer.

Grief.exe

The Evil Within Release State expanded to include additional countries.

Changed ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – US,CA,MX,PR,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC,AF,BD,BT,BN,KH,CN,HK,IN,ID,JP,KR,LA,MO,MY,MV,MN,NP,PK,PH,SG,LK,TW,TH,VN,AU,NZ › AX,AL,DZ,AS,AD,AO,AI,AQ,AG,AM,AW,AT,AZ,BH,BB,BY,BE,BJ,BM,BA,BW,BV,IO,BG,BF,BI,CM,CR,CV,KY,CF,TD,CX,CC,KM,CG,CD,CK,CI,HR,CY,CZ,DK,DJ,DM,DO,EG,GQ,ER,EE,ET,FK,FO,FJ,FI,FR,PF,TF,GA,GM,GE,DE,GH,GI,GR,GL,GD,GP,GU,GN,GW,GG,HT,HM,VA,HU,IS,IE,IM,IL,IT,JM,JE,JO,KZ,KE,KI,KW,KG,LV,LB,LS,LR,LI,LT,LU,MK,MG,MW,ML,MT,MH,MQ,MR,MU,YT,FM,MD,MC,ME,MS,MA,MZ,NA,NR,NL,AN,NC,NE,NG,NU,NF,MP,NO,OM,PW,PS,PG,PN,PL,PT,QA,RE,RO,RU,RW,SH,KN,LC,PM,VC,WS,SM,ST,SA,SN,RS,SC,SL,SK,SI,SB,SO,ZA,GS,ES,SJ,SZ,SE,CH,TJ,TZ,TL,TG,TK,TO,TT,TN,TR,TM,TC,TV,UG,UA,AE,GB,UM,UZ,VU,VG,VI,WF,EH,YE,ZM,ZW

At least Bethesda finally said they're going to fix all the issues present in 60fps mode with TEW - if there are any.. so thats good news. Even though that should've already happened.

You're welcome!

The Evil Within Release State expanded to include additional countries.

You're welcome!

Great, they unlocked it almost everywhere but left Argentina out. Funny thing is that we get the same region locks as Brazil but we don't get to play the game at the same time.
Edit: my bad, Brazil can't play the game either :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom