• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, I was sure I'll wake up to pages of "Evil within is awesome" posts.
So, I take it's not awesome?
It's awesome!

Seems it's a bad port.
It's no where near as bad as people were expecting. Steady 30 FPS at 3200x1800, 60 FPS seems undesirable though because it fluctuates like mad. Sure wish the RoG Swift would come in stock, gsync would help >_> I just don't know why they said all that nonsense about needing a 4GB card, it's total bullshit. My 780Ti only has 3 and I'm running far above 1080P with no issues.

And Ryse is only like 6 hours long, given the short length and variation in locales I enjoyed my time with the game. If nothing else it is gorgeous, and an exciting look into the future of tech.

maneil99

Weird, I was sure I'll wake up to pages of "Evil within is awesome" posts.
So, I take it's not awesome?

Great game. Bad port to a degree apparently, I went with PS4 because iDTech5 isn't the greatest and the couch with friends is where I have spent the first 4 hours. When I say great game I mean the most fun I've had all year, it's hard, it has open level design and it's awesome.

Tizoc

I need to buy some TF2 Keys but the usual sellers aren't selling them atm.
Could someone link to Steam users who are selling TF2 Keys for $2 or $1.90 please?

dex3108

Ubisoft is really preparing for all of those seamless games they are launching. They are doing server load test, server maintenance couple of times per week. I hope that it is worth and we won't have issues on launch.

P.S. Morning SteamGAF sun is up day is beautiful and i hope you will have a nice day :D

xBladeM6x

I'm playing it right now and I think people are exaggerating the bad port thing. I'm liking it a lot.

Just remember, if it doesn't run at 4K 120 Hz Ultra on an Integrated Intel CPU, it's a bad port, according to the PC community. Sounds like it's a fine port, people are just upset about the VRAM standard changing (as we knew it would even since before BF4), and that it was developed for 30 FPS.

maneil99

If Half Life 3 is follows Half Life 2's gameplay standards it will flop. Half Life's game play does not hold up at all. The bullet spongey enemies, weak weapons and lack of movement are all apparent when revisiting it. Half Life 3 has likely been restarted multiple times because of the challanges of making it modern while keeping it's roots. I think we'll see L4D3 Q4 2015 or Q1 2016 and Half Life 3 in 2017/8

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just beat chapter 6 of The Evil Within. Been taking my time and so far loving it. PC performance has been perfect for me, but idtech5 so sure some variation.

60 fps works with no hitches so far, and load times on PC are great, even only some pop-in (very little to what I've seen on consoles).

tmarg

If Half Life 3 is follows Half Life 2's gameplay standards it will flop. Half Life's game play does not hold up at all. The bullet spongey enemies, weak weapons and lack of movement are all apparent when revisiting it. Half Life 3 has likely been restarted multiple times because of the challanges of making it modern while keeping it's roots. I think we'll see L4D3 Q4 2015 or Q1 2016 and Half Life 3 in 2017/8

I'm not sure we'll ever see it. It's been about a decade since HL2, and seven years since Episode 2. If we were going to get a traditional sequel, we probably would have by now. My guess is they might eventually finish the story by continuing down the Portal 2 path of putting different types of games in the same universe.

If Half Life 3 is follows Half Life 2's gameplay standards it will flop. Half Life's game play does not hold up at all. The bullet spongey enemies, weak weapons and lack of movement are all apparent when revisiting it.

It holds up well, when utilized well. Ep2 and Minerva showed that. The simple run and gun gameplay can feel refreshing.

Half Life 3 has likely been restarted multiple times because of the challanges of making it modern while keeping it's roots.

But yes, this should be one of the reasons and Valve having different focus.

I think we'll see L4D3 Q4 2015 or Q1 2016 and Half Life 3 in 2017/8

oh god no

2016 tops

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Anybody have a solution to the "busy writing to disk" which is fucking up my downloading?

Wait for it to finish writing to disk. That's Steam unpacking whatever game you've downloaded. Happened to me with the pre-load for Alien Isolation.

If you've not downloaded anything recently then I have no idea.

maneil99

It holds up well, when utilized well. Ep2 and Minerva showed that. The simple run and gun gameplay can feel refreshing.

But yes, this should be one of the reasons and Valve having different focus.

oh god no

2016 tops

Episode 2 has it's moments but long range combat can be a drag, mostly due to the lack of hit reactions and ragdoll deaths. I just don't see them releasing two major games within a year (L4D3 will likely be launched first looking at the leaks that have came out). I can see L4D3 having a beta for Half Life 3 Deathmatch.

Dr Dogg

So the real Evil Within was the panic before the game launched.Options are a bit thin on the ground by the looks of things but performance seems alright. Mostly positive responses' too. Any SteamGAFfer impression I've missed?

I'm knee deep into chapter 3 and I'm pretty much in love with The Evil Within. It might lack some of the polish of either but so far it's somewhat like Resident Evil 4 meets The Last of Us plus some unique elements of its own. It's certainly been more terrifying than either were in their entirety.

maneil99

I'm knee deep into chapter 3 and I'm pretty much in love with The Evil Within. It might lack some of the polish of either but so far it's somewhat like Resident Evil 4 meets The Last of Us plus some unique elements of its own. It's certainly been more terrifying than either were in their entirety.

Chapter 3 made me fall in love with the game. Took me and friends an hour and a half of attempting it to beat it.

MadGear

Just beat chapter 6 of The Evil Within. Been taking my time and so far loving it. PC performance has been perfect for me, but idtech5 so sure some variation.

60 fps works with no hitches so far, and load times on PC are great, even only some pop-in (very little to what I've seen on consoles).

What specs are we talking about here? If 60fps is no issue then i might get that game sooner than i thought.

Just played a quick round of CSGO, a case dropped and once again i was inclined to open it. Started the case opening simulator, simulated 10 openings and reconsidered once more :D I'll probably never open a single case because i would regret it immediately. I like Dota 2s approach way more but i guess the implementation in CS:GO and the thirst for knives nets them a lot more money?

maneil99

What specs are we talking about here? If 60fps is no issue then i might get that game sooner than i thought.

Just played a quick round of CSGO, a case dropped and once again i was inclined to open it. Started the case opening simulator, simulated 10 openings and reconsidered once more :D I'll probably never open a single case because i would regret it immediately. I like Dota 2s approach way more but i guess the implementation in CS:GO and the thirst for knives nets them a lot more money?

60 FPS maxed you are looking at a 970/780 and some get drops. No idea how AMD fares as ID Tech has always had issues with them.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm really enjoying it, 2 hours in. It's great imo.
I'm loving it so far, I'm scared of turning around every damn corner or walking into any room.

You can activate the console and unlock the frame rate to 60fps though.
oh that's great

i was trying out dark souls 1 today at like 30 fps and man that was rough

can't believe i beat that game like 4 times or something

good to know evil within is pretty alright then

hope it's cheap at one point

aku:jiki

Wait, I was just about to buy Grimrock 2 from their official page, but then I remembered hearing that it's region-locked. Does that mean I can't buy it directly from Almost Human since the price is in USD and there's no option to change it to EU?

Deques

Wait, I was just about to buy Grimrock 2 from their official page, but then I remembered hearing that it's region-locked. Does that mean I can't buy it directly from Almost Human since the price is in USD and there's no option to change it to EU?

Looks like it's only Steam gifts that are region locked. Keys are not locked

Edit: Beaten several times

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

My specs aren't that impressive. I am playing 720p though and not 1080p, not because it wasn't running fine but wanted to run windowed for streaming.

But 2 GB Video Ram, AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics card, and have had absolutely no performance hitches or technical problems or crashing or anything for close to seven hours of play, max settings on everything, perfect frame rate.

Chapter 3 made me fall in love with the game. Took me and friends an hour and a half of attempting it to beat it.

Yeah, chapter 3 is great so far. Reminded me of the intro village part in RE4, just more expansive and dangerous.

ex-Clover month is starting on a high note.

Messiah

Honestly I'm almost done with chapter 4 and I hardly notice it anymore. I'm too scared to notice. >__<

I just played chapter 1, will play more when it's getting dark. I think I will get used to the bars too, still sucks that 33% of my monitor are without use.
The texture pop-ins in the car sequence were hilariously bad.

Just like you've been playing Alien
77B118AFDB31BC909425B8B8C43E287A5B9FB599
chansub-global-emoticon-1ddcc54d77fc4a61-28x28.png

ViviOggi

I just played chapter 1, will play more when it's getting dark. I think I will get used to the bars too, still sucks that 33% of my monitor are without use.
The texture pop-ins in the car sequence were hilariously bad.

Just like you've been playing Alien
77B118AFDB31BC909425B8B8C43E287A5B9FB599

Arthea

why we even have black bars? I don't get it.
Dragon Dogma has those too. What's the point? besides to annoy us

edited: greenlight update, 3 more games greenlit since yesterday, again no clue which ones.

Nzyme32

I'm in agreement with HL3 being a long way off. 2017/18 seems about right. I think L4D3 is probably something that will appear along side those Steam Machines at some point mid or late 2015. I also continue my tin foil hat theory that Valve will release the game with a biometric data sensing wearable - they researched it for ages and then went all coy, and L4D seems ideal for something like that

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I need to play more Alien but it freaks me out. Think I'll mix in a little Sniper Elite 3 to calm me down after particularly tense parts. Love a good sniper game! Even better when it's gifted to me by a super awesome duder.
Thanks Shadownet :)

Dr Dogg

why we even have black bars? I don't get it.
Dragon Dogma has those too. What's the point? besides to annoy us

edited: greenlight update, 3 more games greenlit since yesterday, again no clue which ones.

Well depends. If it's actually rendering at that aspect ratio and a lower resolution that selected could be for performance. If it's just obscured to create that aspect ratio then it's still going to render a full 16:9 frame so would be for artistic reasons. Looks like the former due to some of the super wide shots I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom