• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Welcome back Xelios! I saw a few of your posts on the Shadowgate discussion boards, glad to see you liked that game as much (or more) than I did! It's been one of my favorite experiences of this year so far.

------

So I played Shadow of Mordor until my headset died. Really good game and I was surprised at how well it played on my somewhat aging 7850. I don't usually like these types of "collectathon" games, but I can definitely see myself finishing this one and unlocking a lot of the game's goodies.

Thanks again CosmicQueso! I definitely owe you now.

bluechox2

Guys quick question - so I'm playing CSGO on the lowest settings, windowed mode, 1280x600 or something.

So the game starts off fine, fps is high(ish) and I'm not having any problems - but about 10-15mins in I starting getting stuttering (the fps drops and the game becomes a sort of slideshow). This happens in spikes (i.e. it will be a slideshow for a few mins, then the fps will improve, then again slideshow, then fps improves etc.)

Is this because of my graphics card or memory? Any way to fix this other than upgrading my graphics?

try updating your drivers

i had something similar when i played gta iv on any resolution, would start out fine but after a saved game, frame rates drops and stutter until the game crashes.
i was on win 7, i upgraded to win 8.1 and the stuttering stopped but id still get a crash once in a while, which i think is my graphics card (gta650) trying to put out the best it can (also before my cpu was running at 3.5 ghz (fx8250) but now its running at 4.0 ghz

Grief.exe

So I played Shadow of Mordor until my headset died.

i977sGpkiiUWl.jpg

Guys quick question - so I'm playing CSGO on the lowest settings, windowed mode, 1280x600 or something.

So the game starts off fine, fps is high(ish) and I'm not having any problems - but about 10-15mins in I starting getting stuttering (the fps drops and the game becomes a sort of slideshow). This happens in spikes (i.e. it will be a slideshow for a few mins, then the fps will improve, then again slideshow, then fps improves etc.)

Is this because of my graphics card or memory? Any way to fix this other than upgrading my graphics?

Pretty sure it's the CPU getting clogged, it happens with Source games. I have the same issue.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
http://i.minus.com/i977sGpkiiUWl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL somehow I knew you'd be chiming in on that comment. Yes, I still have a really ghetto Logitech wireless headset that I found at Goodwill like 2 years ago for $5. In my old age I'm getting hard of hearing anyway, so I'm not sure if a high end headset would really do me any good anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
btw super metroid is pretty good i should've played this earlier in my life

Super Metroid is my all-time favourite. Everything about it is perfect. Back in the day a couple of mates and I would regularly do odd jobs around town in order to scrounge together the $15 required to rent the game for a single weekend. We probably could have bought our own copy if we had any patience. ;)

-MD-

Super Metroid is my all-time favourite. Everything about it is perfect. Back in the day a couple of mates and I would regularly do odd jobs around town in order to scrounge together the $15 required to rent the game for a single weekend. We probably could have bought our own copy if we had any patience. ;)

$15 to rent a game for a weekend?

It was like $2 here.

Anteater

the fuck, 15bucks?

it's like 2 bucks to rent a game for a single day in canada :/

Arthea

happy birthday jshackles, may your enchantment is strong in future too.
I was about to bother you about Enchanted steam, but seeing it's your birthday, I won't, have fun and party a lot.

Oh are we talking about Nintendo games again? Super Metroid is the perfect Nintendo game and something I would love to see a sequel to (and not in this "New" _____ style either) that takes place after Metroid Fusion.

I wish Zero Mission, the 2nd best Metroid, was on the Wii U VC or something too.

Anyway, I hope the Sega PC port thing goes well and I hope we hear an answer from Bethesda soon about the PC version of TEW.

Dr Dogg

$15! Just for the weekend! I know AUD exchange rates are higher but that's bonkers. I saved up for about 2 months of paper round monies to buy it outright at £49.99 way back when. And people complain about console prices today that's about £85 adjusted for inflation. Still got it to this day so money well spent I'd say.

I'm about one and a half chapters into The Cat Lady. Do you guys recommend continuing if I'm not blown away so far? I kind of like the atmosphere and it feels like the story/decisions are starting to go in a somewhat interesting direction, but it also seems to be starting incredibly slowly and feels like just walking from point a to point b with key c, repeat...

I would highly recommend to you to keep playing, otherwise you would be missing out on a good very game, besides the first chapter is quite slow only an introduction and the game is going to take an unexpected and dramatic direction very soon, just keep playing and you'll see for yourself.

Anyway yeah, for the most time it's essentially a walking simulator, and puzzles are quite easy to solve when comparred to an average point and click game, but the story is quite engrossing and the art direction is top notch, at the very least the game has grown on me.

JaseC

$15 to rent a game for a weekend?

It was like $2 here.

Yeah, the rental prices were ridiculous, but unfortunately there weren't any nearby alternatives at the time. The old lady that ran the store later retired and sold it to some younger bloke who lowered the prices, to, IIRC, $5 for a couple of days or $15 for a week, which is why we stopped playing the game -- there was only one copy and it was never available. Eventually the bloke shut up shop himself and had a closing down sale on what inventory he had left, but of course when we asked about Super Metroid he said he was keeping it, haha.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yeah, the rental prices were ridiculous, but unfortunately there weren't any nearby alternatives at the time. The old lady that ran the store later retired and sold it to some younger bloke who lowered the prices, to, IIRC, $5 for a couple of days or $15 for a week, which is why we stopped playing the game -- there was only copy and it was never available. Eventually the bloke shut up shop himself and had a closing down sale on what inventory he had left, but of course when we asked about Super Metroid he said he was keeping it, haha.

... the one that got away ;)

this explains SO MUCH!! :p

zkylon

zkylewd
super mario kart and zelda lttp is good too
i did play those, just never got around playing metroid

yea i did the same with paper mario and majora's mask back in the n64 days. prices were pretty steep too and i always felt so guilty deleting someone else's save for my own lol

i might keep going with the metroid series, at least this one was pretty enjoyable and with emulator i can save scum the hard platforming sections that are just too much for my sucky platforming skills

i wanna see them space pirates' ugly faces

Turfster

I feel like your choices affected this game a lot more than they did in The Wolf Among Us, but I'm not sure since I only played through the game with one set of choices. For TWAU, I played through the game again choosing all of the opposite major choices, and things weren't that different.

Your choices pretty much make no difference in TWD S1 either, sorry. The funniest of these is the ladder segment near the end. You know what I mean.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, the rental prices were ridiculous, but unfortunately there weren't any nearby alternatives at the time. The old lady that ran the store later retired and sold it to some younger bloke who lowered the prices, to, IIRC, $5 for a couple of days or $15 for a week, which is why we stopped playing the game -- there was only copy and it was never available. Eventually the bloke shut up shop himself and had a closing down sale on what inventory he had left, but of course when we asked about Super Metroid he said he was keeping it, haha.

Dude, you should get into SNES collecting. It's not astronomically expensive to get a complete cart-only collection (I wouldn't go for complete in box though!). There are only 750 English releases. It's totally doable.

There's even a cool little GAF community on the subject:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511429

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Dude, you should get into SNES collecting. It's not astronomically expensive to get a complete cart-only collection (I wouldn't go for complete in box though!). There are only 750 English releases. It's totally doable.

DON'T TEMPT HIM!!!! you monster!!!! :p

JaseC

awesome

rather uncharacteristic of sega right?

In my experience Sega's pretty good about avoiding region-locks on the Steam Store itself; it's retail keys you have to be careful of.

Steam alone chews up enough of my spare cash at present. If I were to start collecting other things it'd eat into what I could afford to spend elsewhere.

I'm prone to a rage or two but I'm not one to rage quit, much less rage quit a game permanently.

And that's exactly what's about to happen to Destiny. The PvP lag is so bad, consdiering who made and published the game. Add to that the massive amount of one hit KOs that don't require aim, and you have a recipe for disaster. I'm sure that 75% of the complaints about balance in PvP could be solved by just fixing the lag issue.

But hey, I'll be back to more Steam stuff when I finally put the last nail in this thing.

JaseC

that's so cute
so do you have it now? super metroid, I mean

I've since finished the game but don't have a copy myself. Several years ago I was going to buy a physical copy just for the nostalgic value (I don't even have an SNES, come to think of it), however I didn't go through with this for some reason (I quite likely just forgot).

jshackles

How much money are we talking about here...

For cart only? A couple thousand dollars last I checked. The majority of that will be spent on the rarest 10-15 carts.

I had to stop my SNES collecting at about 250. I ran out of room to put them, honestly. I decided to focus on just the games I enjoyed in my youth and it's served me well. That copy of Earthbound I snagged a few years back will probably put my kids through college at this rate.

Dr Dogg

Depends on your definition of astronomical.

Saying that I've been half tempted to chop in my horrid PAL 50hz, 12% slower, bordered collection and man up to the big boy NTSC versions but I think I'd need to sell most of my vital organs to do so.

Depends on your definition of astronomical.

Saying that I've been half tempted to chop in my horrid PAL 50hz, 12% slower, bordered collection and man up to the big boy NTSC versions but I think I'd need to sell most of my vital organs to do so.

The worst part is that Nintendo has the fucking gall to charge people for 50hz versions on their eshops.

What are they thinking.

Halloween games I'd like to see on sale:
Condemned Criminal Origins
Bad Mojo
Among the Sleep
Manhunt
the fuck, 15bucks?

it's like 2 bucks to rent a game for a single day in canada :/
Cost me 20p a night to rent Mega Drive games from a local pet shop/video rental store. Used to go halves with a friend for Saturday and Sunday. Wouldn't even mind if we brought it back Monday after school. Those were the days.
Arkham Knight 60 euros for me too on GMG.. are they really gonna make this the standard now.. fuck that.
As long as there are ways around it (Nuuvem, resellers, AMD deals) I find it hard to care. When they really lock it down then I'll stop buying.

Miguel81

I've since finished the game but don't have a copy myself. Several years ago I was going to buy a physical copy just for the nostalgic value (I don't even have an SNES, come to think of it), however I didn't go through with this for some reason (I quite likely just forgot).

Were you guys also stuck with the 50hz versions?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How much money are we talking about here...

So there are different ways of measuring a complete SNES collection. Basically, there's commercially available carts, which would definitely be under $10k for a complete set (I'd wager around $2500 or so for the rarest 20 carts, and then maybe $5k for the other 700+). And then there's the "competition carts", which would add another few thousand. Then you need to look at a few super-rare one-offs, like the exercise bike that came with a SNES cart and the SNES cart that powered an arcade machine, each of which would set you back $1k+. Then there's the Nintendo Powerfest 94, of which there are two in the world and neither owner is selling, but the last sale was $10k+.

But if you just want a complete collection of commercially available SNES games, you could do under $10k easily, and less if you got a few decent lots.

Dr Dogg

The worst part is that Nintendo has the fucking gall to charge people for 50hz versions on their eshops.

What are they thinking.

But the authenticity. To be fair the first time I heard Castlevania's Vampire Killer at the speed it was meant to be played it sounded really odd. Sonic is even more soul destroying. My childhood was a lie, a slow pace lie!

Well maybe not my Speccy memories but there's only so much 8 colours can convey

Arkham Knight 60 euros for me too on GMG.. are they really gonna make this the standard now.. fuck that.

Orrrr we embrace physical copies still in 2015 and pay £29.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IS6S81G/

It's 99.99% cert to be Steamworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom