• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Found this little guy sitting unclaimed in my Humble account looking all sad.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Soundodger Plus and Soundtrack -- MB-24BF27FA2B742E50 - Taken by pupo. 6 entrants total.

t1413488653z1.png

Dr Dogg

Finish up Alien first, then go with Shovel Knight since you've already finished it once. That way you won't feel tempted to drop Alien.

Sure, you might not be thinking about dropping it now, but if you go play something else you might just not want to go back to it later.

Fine. If I end up having nightmares tonight it's your fault!

I had to turn it off at 2am this morning, after getting caught by the beast under a medical table. Who knew CA would make such an effective horror game? Other devs should branch out of their genre mainstays now.

CSD?

Considering their roots and their ventures outside strategy games CA really have surprised me here. Or is that scared me? Maybe both.

Cook, Serve, Delicious. The Dark Souls of restaurant management sims.

it's picking up "iOS" in "AudioSurf". Whoopsie.

ModBot is an Apple cheerleader at heart.

Vazduh

Shame that Payday: the heist DLC isn't discounted also :\

• PAYDAY 2 is free to play for the whole weekend!
  • PAYDAY: The Heist is free to download for 24 hours! Grab it now and keep it forever!
  • PAYDAY 2 and its DLC (except Hotline Miami DLC) is 75% off during the entire Crimefest!
    [*]PAYDAY: The Heist and its DLC will be 90% off during the entire Crimefest!
  • And much, much more! Check the Crimefest website for all the details!

..."During the coming 12 days, there will be 7 free in-game updates"...

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/crimefest/

:D

Arthea

I would like more a remake like FFIV, with 3D.
Or like the PSP version, that would be great. But re-doing a game just to make it...ugly, there's no sense :S

I don't like FF4 3D, low res 3D looks no good too. FF4 PSP remake seems a lot more pleasant to an eye for me.
I kinda hoped that they will go all out for FF6 and will make proper remake as in redoing all models and backgrounds in style of FF6 but with modern quality.
It shows how naive I was.
As I said I'll take iOS remake though, as I'm sure we aren't getting anything else.

• PAYDAY 2 is free to play for the whole weekend!
  • PAYDAY: The Heist is free to download for 24 hours! Grab it now and keep it forever!
  • PAYDAY 2 and its DLC (except Hotline Miami DLC) is 75% off during the entire Crimefest!
    [*]PAYDAY: The Heist and its DLC will be 90% off during the entire Crimefest!
  • And much, much more! Check the Crimefest website for all the details!

..."During the coming 12 days, there will be 7 free in-game updates"...

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/crimefest/

:D

Basically everyone buy everything Payday, it's a fun game.

Locust

We already have examples in the form of (edit: almost) every single Disney sub that isn't Tron 2-specific. The switch was flipped about a month ago and all most of Disney's subs are only two weeks old, so they should have been region-locked, but aren't (except for Tron 2).
I wouldn't be so optimistic really, surely multi packs just don't get it automagically (unless if its inherited from the apps added).

These are all region free even though developers have no access to territory restriction options (could be different for bigger publishers):
https://steamdb.info/sub/52164/history/
https://steamdb.info/sub/52870/history/
https://steamdb.info/sub/52840/history/

Also, found this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/discussions/0/619568192934603515/ (picture)
You need to be in the Steamworks developers group to see it.

Thorgal

How do you disable auto updating for a specific game ?
The only options are : keep up to date , only when i launch it and high priority.

Arthea

FFIV 3D is not a state of art, I agree with you. But at least if offers something different from the original FFIV on SNES.
Is if I must choice between a poor 2D (not a good 2D like the PSP version of FFIV) and a poor 3D, I would opt for the second one.

you have a point here, 3D couldn't possibly have been worse

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

JaseC

Why does that sub takes me a pack composed only of Epic Mickey 2 but has "Price of individual games 64.99 euros - Price of Pack 19.99" while having Epic Mickey 2 listed as 19.99? o_O

For some reason Steam is mistakenly reading the Other-worldy Adventure Pack as the base price for Mickey.

Tellaerin

it's the broken pieces of a stealth game for now

i want to say "immersive sim" but that term is so ugly

no theme for now cos my main character is going through gender identity issues and every week i change everything -_-

Why not have two/I] main characters, one male and one female, and switch between them as the story progresses? Maybe they're partners, and one's doing things offscreen while you're controlling the other. Or maybe let the player select at the start of the game, and have things play out a little differently depending on who you chose (it'd be more work, but it'd also add replay value!) Just spitballing here.

i just rewatch the movie from time to time. not too time consuming

Hm. Yeah, that might be a less time-intensive way for me to get my Bebop on again.

it's not that i don't value "immersion" (i kinda hate this world lately), i just think that a game to be immersive it has to have good writing and more to do in their world than go to cave and murder everything in it. it has to draw you in by being smart and interesting. skyrim and fo3 just throw dragons and mutants and nuke catapults at you from very early on. but try and get invested in this world and all you hear are poorly written reused fantasy/post-apoc tropes (which is not the case for new vegas!) and your only interaction with things is killing them in the less interesting way possible or watching them drone about with dead eyes staring into nothingness. new vegas isn't amazing in this last point either but the way its quests are designed really makes miracles out of that rotten old ass engine (new vegas legendary quest flowchart.jpeg)

and like call of duty and ass creed also have redeeming points. ass creed in particular is amazing how much work they put in recreating those cities and whatever. but they're still junk food, no matter how much weaklings like me or saoirse like it.

a bit of junk food is ok, i'm eating subway right now, but like when it's days of your life spent on it i think it may have been a bit much. i always feel guilty when i watch my hour count after an ass creed game or like when i realized that the burger i ordered doesn't fit my mouth

fortunately i have magical genetic skinniness :>

As far as FO3 vs. NV goes, it really is just a difference in taste. A lot of my enjoyment in FO3 came from exploring the bleak, desolate ruins of the old world and piecing together what it must have been like at its height from the old computer records and scraps of info I unearthed. It's what I found outside the towns that drew me into the experience, not my conversations with the NPC's.

Maybe more importantly, I'm just not as impressed with Obsidian's writing as you (and to be fair, a lot of other people) are. To listen to you talk, Beth's writing is inedible shit, while Obsidian's is sublime haute cuisine. To me, it's like Burger King vs. Wendy's. :p One makes a somewhat better burger than the other, but they're both pretty decent as fast food burgers go. On the other hand, nobody's going to call either one a gourmet meal. It doesn't help that Obsidian seems to prioritize "clever" writing (which I don't generally find as clever as their own writers seem to) over verisimilitude, which I saw as a flaw in the early games as well. I don't care how cute or witty your throwaway details are if I look at them and think, "Real people would never behave this way" or "If they had developed that technology, the world wouldn't be like this". (Like
Honest Hearts establishing that they developed the technology for cheap matter transmutation. One of the big justifications for the world being in the state it's in now was nations warring over dwindling resources, and having vending machines that can transmute matter kind of makes a mockery of that. But we like the idea and we think it's cool, so don't think too hard about it!
If something seems contradictory or nonsensical in the context of the universe you've built, you need to either come up with an explanation that works and work it into the setting for the player to find, or throw that shit out.) Beth does that kind of meticulous worldbuilding well, and it draws me into their worlds. Obsidian doesn't really seem to care about that if it interferes with something they're fond of or consider amusing, and neither do their hardcore fans.)

So yeah, I'm still going to say you're wrong on this one. Some people feel NV's the superior game because it hits certain notes better than FO3 does. Others feel the opposite. Your taste isn't superior to mine when measured against some absolute metric because you feel that way. I mean, hell, I like you, zky, but that kind of looking down your nose really does grate on me a bit sometimes. (And to be fair, you're not the only one who does it, either. I'm just a little tired of the whole "what I like is incontrovertibly awesome and what I don't like is factually shit" attitude some folks seem to have.)

JaseC

Well, I hope that really means they disabled it since I really want that mega pack. :p

I'm still going to be pessimistic though, and bet it has something to do with that app being over a year old.

Granted, there's not a lot of data to go on at the moment, but food for thought: Alien: Isolation's post-release sub is Sega's first region-locked store sub ever.

Locust

Granted, there's not a lot of data to go on at the moment, but food for thought: Alien: Isolation's post-release sub is Sega's first region-locked store sub ever.
Colonial Marines had onlyallowrunincountries for the RU sub.

Football Manager 2015 was also locked 6 days ago, and they didn't make a new sub. :p

e: Funnily enough that region locked Alien: Isolation sub is still not live. Bizarre.
e2: Yeah, I thought the argument was that Sega isn't adding ACRTAG on purpose, but that old FM2015 sub sort of implies that they requested it.

Arthea

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/301910/header.jpg[/IMG

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell pre-order is up at most regions, [s]seems no pre-order bonus.[/s]

[url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/301910/[/url][/QUOTE]

The price is OK, but I'll wait for the complete edition, learned my lessons with previous SR games.

[quote="AHA-Lambda, post: 134636671"]Oh, good or bad?[/QUOTE]

When there was last time something good happened?

Saints row looks like it is just a lot more of the same... and yet I still want to play it.

Maybe this time the story won't be so... bad though.

Most of my enjoyment from that series is from side activities and not the main missions.

JaseC

Colonial Marines had onlyallowrunincountries for the RU sub.

Ah, so it does.

Football Manager 2015 was also locked 6 days ago, and they didn't make a new sub. :p

Moot point as Alien released on the 6th. ;)

Edit: Ah, I see, the ACRTAG-locked sub is six days old. But it's not like I'm trying to argue that publishers can't choose to region-lock old subs, haha.

AHA-Lambda

If you used to get cheaper games from russians then it's bad. If you didn't know/care about that, then it won't affect you until you want to gift a game to someone in a locked region/someone from a locked region wants to gift you something.

Oh right I knew that, thought it was something new.

KarmaCow

Anyone have an Enemy Within 80% coupon from GMG/Playfire that they're willing to spare? I've already played an hour and completed the tutorial months ago so I can't get the coupon myself.

Thanks Kurt Russel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom