• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is standalone enhanced steam dead? ):

Sadly at the moment yes it is. Since the store's been updated I've been focusing all of my efforts on making sure that the Chrome and Firefox versions stay up to date with each other and that new features are sufficiently checked for bugs.

Of course, it's open source, so anyone is welcome to stand in for me in porting features.

Kiru

Jørdan;134664784 said:
Congrats on finally getting accepted, I didn't wait quite as long as that and it seemed an eternity so I can imagine it must've been great to read that acceptance email after so long. Welcome and thank you for the giveaway.
Nothing compared to Ozium's 7 years, lol.

Turfster

The danger of turning off "baby mode" indicators (aka "I can find my own damn way without these irritating arrows, thank you") in Styx:
Stealth your way through the whole level, only to find out you had to pick up something along the way... like, 2 rooms after the starting one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think it's cool that the Enhanced Steam repository now has over 1,500 commits. Each commit is a code change (large or small) that essentially represents when something in Enhanced Steam's code changes - a bug getting fixed, a new feature being introduced, etc.

It was 550 days ago that I opened up Enhanced Steam and published the code as open source, so that's an average of almost 3 changes every day. Not bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait, there's a new Saint's Row coming out? How in the hell did this go under the radar?

its a standalone...expansion thing. Not a full blown new Saints Row, its not Saints Row 5

The danger of turning off "baby mode" indicators (aka "I can find my own damn way without these irritating arrows, thank you") in Styx:
Stealth your way through the whole level, only to find out you had to pick up something along the way... like, 2 rooms after the starting one.

Ive been ignoring those arrows completely :O (you mean the marks on the walls only visible with bat-err...goblin vision correct?)

Turfster

Ive been ignoring those arrows completely :O (you mean the marks on the walls only visible with bat-err...goblin vision correct?)

No, the white onscreen prompts with <STUFF X METERS> on them.
First time I've needed one. Reached the end of the map, wouldn't let me exit the zone. "huh." *turn on* "Oh for fuck's sake."

What's up with the ugly new add to my game library redeem gift pop up?

ary2loQ.png

On the other hand, it felt super smooth. Client didn't lock up or anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No, the white onscreen prompts with <STUFF X METERS> on them.
First time I've needed one. Reached the end of the map, wouldn't let me exit the zone. "huh." *turn on* "Oh for fuck's sake."

oh those...why wouldnt you follow those? o_O

you know what, forget I ask, im afraid this will turn into a "games arent hardcore anymore whaa" discussion

Turfster

oh those...why wouldnt you follow those? o_O

you know what, forget I ask, im afraid this will turn into a "games arent hardcore anymore whaa" discussion

They're... annoying, mostly. =p
The directions up to now had been very clear and didn't really need them.
(since I explore the entire map anyway)

MUnited83

For you.
Someone probably already beat me to the punch, but a bunch of Disney trading cards are live.

Pure
Split/Second
Lego Pirates
Disney Universe
Disney Planes
Disney Epic Mickey 2
Tron Evolution

Rhaknar

dude Skyrim came out in 2011 o_O Which means New Vegas is even older (2010?)

surely we are due for a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls in 2015 right? Are we really just going to get a announcement and then a 2016 release?

Jørdan;134671087 said:
You in the industry? That's either crazy luck in getting in with the new activation wave, you know someone or you designed the DualShock.

IIRC, it took me three months to get approved when I applied. This is going back a couple years, though. I never bothered posting until late last year.

FFXIII is all kinds of awesome, even if it's chugging at best.
Press A for Awesome section has ended a few hours ago, now the game is frequently kicking my butt (that Odin fight!).

Hell yeah, took me about a dozen deaths to come up with a strategy that worked. It's beautiful especially with Durante's GeDoSaTo.

surely we are due for a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls in 2015 right? Are we really just going to get a announcement and then a 2016 release?

No chance for Elder Scrolls. Fallout definitely. Bethesda is a well-managed company that knows the money to be made.

------------------------------------------

Normally I'd recoil at the idea of spending upwards of $10 on a GOTY edition for a game when I already own the base content, but the 75% off on Xcom is looking good. Partly because I want enemy within, but mostly because Firaxis did a great job with Xcom and I want to reward them. I did the same thing for Dishonored.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

They prolly realized they make games for casuals that are a massive insult to fans who put prior releases on a pedestal and just stopped making games all together as repentance.

God I hope we get a new Fallout, love playing those games, they just click with me and I lose hours in them(in a good way)

Jørdan;134671087 said:
You in the industry? That's either crazy luck in getting in with the new activation wave, you know someone or you designed the DualShock.

Nope, probably just luck since I joined a few days before the new consoles were released. My birthday is the same day as my registration/join date so maybe that counts for something, haha

Someone probably already beat me to the punch, but a bunch of Disney trading cards are live.

Pure
Split/Second
Lego Pirates
Disney Universe
Disney Planes
Disney Epic Mickey 2
Tron Evolution

They're adding them pretty quickly, nice

Jørdan

IIRC, it took me three months to get approved when I applied. This is going back a couple years, though. I never bothered posting until late last year.

That's about the same as me now that I check, it felt longer hehe. Didn't post much myself at the beginning either, still rather shy.

Nope, probably just luck since I joined a few days before the new consoles were released. My birthday is the same day as my registration/join date so maybe that counts for something, haha

Oh sweet, great birthday present :)

Jørdan

Fallout 4 then TES VI, both main titles by Bethesda. Obsidian won't get a main title but may be offered a spin off as they were with New Vegas. #truthfact

r3n4ud

Few Humble extras
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (r3n4ud, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-C7851412A6A99C2C - Taken by darkchewie
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode Two -- MB-B2171E8AE60C4DC4 - Taken by bobnowhere
Shank -- MB-C20A6277F98893F5 - Taken by nja

Li Kao

Okaaayy so let's resume because there was this big family reunion a few hours ago just when I think we were really bonding my dear SteamGaf. I was about to say how I loved Rage and we were going to be all love. But I have to fight this huge hangover so I don't know if it will be as good as it could have been. I mean, Rage...

So recently I've been playing RAGE. I bought it a year or two ago on some Steam sale or another, and had put it down back then after ~30 min. I'm actually enjoying it now though.

The texture pop-in is still abysmal (you turn your view and anything new in your vision can have the super-low quality texture for up to a second before the proper texture appears on it). But other than that, the game is surprisingly fun. Anyone else have positive experiences with RAGE?

Loved the sewer levels in particular. Wingsticks + shotgun = bliss. I ought to give the game another whirl and take the opportunity to play through the DLC.

I loved Rage. Loved ! Oh don't get me wrong I'm not blind to the bad aspects of the game, I just don't think it deserves the treatment it gets.
I mean, the gunplay was a whole lot of fantastic, that must count for something in an fps. Yeah, there are fillers like the car sequences, the second hub is seriously rushed, and yeah, I get why the non ending can grate on people. Although after thinking about it, I wouldn't want to be all apologist on it, but with the sheer amount of horrendously written video game endings we get, I'm not really shocked by it. It goes all cliffhanger and sequel open, but it's not that bad. You must be able to count on one hand the number of games that know how to wrap it up each year.
But it was fun shooting things. And apart from the texture problems and green blacks, it wasn't bad looking at all. It wasn't too profound but didn't endanger my braincell like Borderlands did, Wingstick is nice, Shotgun is id-badass, actual levels were quite good. And let's not forget : shooting was fucking fun !

So while I really can understand why someone might not like the game, I think it was only really lacking in one thing only. It felt rushed exactly like a game that was in development hell and had to come out at last, it's really on the short side. The second part needed some work.

Like Jase I should go back to it in order to beat the DLC and try my luck at the highest difficulty they added afterwards. But on that point I really fear that with the flack they took for being too easy they may have gone overboard in the other side.

Rhaknar

Nah, see: I've gotta buy the base game at full price, then not buy the season pass/DLC, and then get the GOTY edition (full price or not).

thats not funny Marco you asshole :(

thats what happened to me with Syrim >_<

Ozium

I played RAGE and enjoyed it to a point, but then some other game came along and I stopped playing RAGE and never went back to it... never felt a need to go back to it, tbqh

If I was John Carmack I would stop making games after I made RAGE also

Li Kao

- I don't want to be rude and this must be the first time I do that, but repost for new page -

Okaaayy so let's resume because there was this big family reunion a few hours ago just when I think we were really bonding my dear SteamGaf. I was about to say how I loved Rage and we were going to be all love. But I have to fight this huge hangover so I don't know if it will be as good as it could have been. I mean, Rage...

So recently I've been playing RAGE. I bought it a year or two ago on some Steam sale or another, and had put it down back then after ~30 min. I'm actually enjoying it now though.

The texture pop-in is still abysmal (you turn your view and anything new in your vision can have the super-low quality texture for up to a second before the proper texture appears on it). But other than that, the game is surprisingly fun. Anyone else have positive experiences with RAGE?

Loved the sewer levels in particular. Wingsticks + shotgun = bliss. I ought to give the game another whirl and take the opportunity to play through the DLC.

I loved Rage. Loved ! Oh don't get me wrong I'm not blind to the bad aspects of the game, I just don't think it deserves the treatment it gets.
I mean, the gunplay was a whole lot of fantastic, that must count for something in an fps. Yeah, there are fillers like the car sequences, the second hub is seriously rushed, and yeah, I get why the non ending can grate on people. Although after thinking about it, I wouldn't want to be all apologist on it, but with the sheer amount of horrendously written video game endings we get, I'm not really shocked by it. It goes all cliffhanger and sequel open, but it's not that bad. You must be able to count on one hand the number of games that know how to wrap it up each year.
But it was fun shooting things. And apart from the texture problems and green blacks, it wasn't bad looking at all. It wasn't too profound but didn't endanger my braincell like Borderlands did, Wingstick is nice, Shotgun is id-badass, actual levels were quite good. And let's not forget : shooting was fucking fun !

So while I really can understand why someone might not like the game, I think it was only really lacking in one thing only. It felt rushed exactly like a game that was in development hell and had to come out at last, it's really on the short side. The second part needed some work.

Like Jase I should go back to it in order to beat the DLC and try my luck at the highest difficulty they added afterwards. But on that point I really fear that with the flack they took for being too easy they may have gone overboard in the other side.

I remember really liking Rage for the time I played it but I guess my problem was that I played it like an RPG. I made sure to do every side mission and every little thing so eventually I just got fatigued of it. I made it until the second or third city? It felt like the end. The backtracking really fucked that game up though

nja

Neo Member
Hello
ModBot said:
Instructions for nja:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Goat Simulator -- MB-BD8EC680C9D6A4D6 - Taken by alr1ght

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom