• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

I don't like having to pay for it but at least it's possible to actually do. GrumbleSonygrumble.

I still think the Steam way is the way to go tho. Separate account name and display name. Ups security a bit too.

I also discovered recently that Steam keeps a track of every display name you have ever used.

I wish it didn't. That's the only thing I don't like, after going through random display names while playing Street Fighter before.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
6 euros and counting from card money since I was market locked from changing to a new computer. At least Lords will be cheaper >_>

Also, on chapter 11
of 15
in the Evil Within, the game really is to RE what Dark was to Demons Souls. Day 1 zeitgeist is pass, but deffo dont pass on it come sale time

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, FF XIII is incredibly pretty. This came out in 2009? Color me impressed.

Though looking back, I really shouldn't. Mirror's Edge came out the same year and still looks great too, so this isn't something new.

Omega

Banned
I don't like having to pay for it but at least it's possible to actually do. GrumbleSonygrumble.

I still think the Steam way is the way to go tho. Separate account name and display name. Ups security a bit too.

Steam > Origin > XBL > PSN

I also discovered recently that Steam keeps a track of every display name you have ever used.

I wish it didn't. That's the only thing I don't like, after going through random display names while playing Street Fighter before.

it doesn't keep every display name ever, it only shows the 10 most recent.

MUnited83

For you.
For quite a while following the game's disappearance from Steam it was possible to buy Steam keys from Acti's own store. Just something to remember come January. ;)

I'm aware, that's where I got the DLC for dirt cheap instead of buying it from people wanting 8 keys for it :p

Dr Dogg

Right I'd rather smash my teeth in than deal with iOS 8 anymore. So to give me some further impetus to pull my finger out anyone got any good recomendations on a Windows based tablet with a x86 CPU? Saw jim-jam talking up a Dell Venue 8 and five element ninja posted a good break down on Steam Streaming on a Surface Pro but any other input. I had a look at an ASUS T100 earlier and they're stupidly cheap at the moment and look more than capable (albeit with quite a low resolution display). Cheers in advance.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Something's definitively going on with the game, as it's also been removed from all regions of Steam except the US.

It was £29.99 previously, but now there's no option to pre-purchase.

Lords? it was 59.99€ for the longest time, then the other day it dropped to a much more reasonable 49.99€ (and added pre-order stuff I believe), then the same day you couldnt buy it anymore

Also its not removed, just the ability to buy it is

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

yatesl

Lords? it was for the longest time, then the other day it dropped to a much more reasonable (and added pre-order stuff I believe), then the same day you couldnt buy it anymore

Also its not removed, just the ability to buy it is

Having a look round, CD-Keys still sell it.

Although they're not exactly a 'Steam partner', or whatever.

Dr Dogg

How is the co-op aspect of Bulletstorm? Any good?

It's kind of arena, horde mode with you and upto 3 others on maps that are semi related to the story. I foundmit alrightish at launch but the communtiy kind of died within a month or so of release so you need a regualr group to grt some of the bigger score or multi person skill shots going. There was 2 DLC packs that had a coup,e or more maps a piece but they died along with the GFWL Marketplace a while back. Seeing everyone and there mum's are buying Bulletstorm right now and who knows when GFWL is going to bite the dust might be worth a SteamGAF Games Night for those wanting a blast.

Shadownet

Banned
It's kind of arena, horde mode with you and upto 3 others on maps that are semi related to the story. I foundmit alrightish at launch but the communtiy kind of died within a month or so of release so you need a regualr group to grt some of the bigger score or multi person skill shots going. There was 2 DLC packs that had a coup,e or more maps a piece but they died along with the GFWL Marketplace a while back. Seeing everyone and there mum's are buying Bulletstorm right now and who knows when GFWL is going to bite the dust might be worth a SteamGAF Games Night for those wanting a blast.

Thanks for the review. Horde mode with 4 people sounds fun. Might be the closest thing we get to Gears of War on PC right now.

Axass

I'm so sold on Don't Starve after this free weekend. It's a very addicting game, this coming from someone who doesn't usuallly like randomly generated stuff in games. In this case though the randomness fits perfectly the theme of survival.

wilflare

is there a counselling service that helps with compulsive bundle purchasing ><
cutting down on them significantly would really help

Dr Dogg

Thanks for the review. Horde mode with 4 people sounds fun. Might be the closest thing we get to Gears of War on PC right now.

Well I'm kind of hoping that talk of a Marcus Fenix Collection of Gears 1-3 comes to furition and that Microsoft's supossed 'plans' for PC aren't a lot of hot air this time. That and if it did ever exist, that it might see a Steam release in the future. I'm probably going to hang for this (though Seuss probably has my back) but I'd be tempted to pick up a Xbox One if Gear of Remastered Edition was a real thing but wasn't coming to PC. Saying that I got duped into buying a 360 for Gears and Mass Effect and look how that turned out.

xeris

I've started to limit myself to only bundles with at least 2 games I might play and if those aren't a slam dunk at least one has to have cards.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

index8mpmc.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM: Enemy Unknown -- MB-453B7458655C3987 - Taken by KingDirk. 5 entrants total.

t1413678262z1.png

derExperte

Speaking of bundles I (or anyone) shouldn't have bought....

ModBot said:
Instructions for derExperte:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-5EAD7C4C51A5CBCE
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-64327AB6DC8984DB
Battlepaths -- MB-028FB03BD8D05EDA - Taken by bluechox2
Major Mayhem -- MB-0AD7E695CDA6D2EE
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-F397D77950BF1B84 - Taken by Maniac

I prevented ModBot from doing his thing by editing while he was editing, MM is gone, don't know how he handles the rest so the others might be too.

I've started to limit myself to only bundles with at least 2 games I might play and if those aren't a slam dunk at least one has to have cards.

I'm kind of the same, there can't be too many say >50% of games I already own and the ones that don't already have must interest me in some way. Of course that doesn't always hold, though I've been pretty good recently. I haven't bought the New Blink bundle or the Bitcomposer, Horror or War bundles from Indiegala, too many repeats and nothing particularly interesting.

Anybody using the Limelight app to stream from PC to Android devices? Any reason why controller just kind of stops working sometimes, and if uPlay messes it up in general? Won't seem to start up Rayman Legends with the controller.

Also to anybody here who knows, is Fire TV support for Limelight planned at all in the future?

Jawmuncher

Just beat The Evil Within. Took me 13 hours and this was with exploring regularly as well.
It has a good length for a SP only game. While a enjoyable experience, it's not of Mikami's top quality. It reuses a lot of his older ideas as well as numerous horror cliches so the element of surprise is lost often. However when the game has it's moment's they really stand out. The story leaves more questions than answers which isn't always a bad thing, but here you just kind of wonder if you missed something by the end. Thankfully the locales, encounters, and other elements even if reused are still very enjoyable to play and witness. So it's definitely worth a play if the game interests you at all.

MRORANGE

Just beat The Evil Within. Took me 13 hours and this was with exploring regularly as well.
It has a good length for a SP only game. While a enjoyable experience, it's not of Mikami's top quality. It reuses a lot of his older ideas as well as numerous horror cliches so the element of surprise is lost often. However when the game has it's moment's they really stand out. The story leaves more questions than answers which isn't always a bad thing, but here you just kind of wonder if you missed something by the end. Thankfully the locales, encounters, and other elements even if reused are still very enjoyable to play and witness. So it's definitely worth a play if the game interests you at all.

Nice write up, do you think it's a GOTY candidate?
There not the same but which one did you prefe: A:I or TEW?

Eternia

Stuffz.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Eternia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SpeedRunners #2 -- MB-175D2830B4697935 - Taken by Ruruja. 10 entrants total.
SpeedRunners -- MB-5D396959B0F3110D - Taken by -Deimos. 6 entrants total.
SpeedRunners #3 -- MB-D84C863941512E04 - Taken by TheAutomator. 9 entrants total.

t1413686722z1.png

derExperte

Yeah, Jewellery is easier... if the fucking mission selector doesn't randomly assign it 4 skulls just because.

Then wait for the mission to come up with a lower difficulty on the selection screen. I agree that all this is weird for newcomers but it's manageable.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Cheddahz, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cheddahz, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Nimble Quest #1 -- MB-42A72257282E131E - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
Nimble Quest #2 -- MB-22AC0E9444219EDB - Taken by Darkroronoa. 5 entrants total.

t1413679762z1.png

Jawmuncher

Nice write up, do you think it's a GOTY candidate?
There not the same but which one did you prefe: A:I or TEW?

Honestly no, it's good but I can't see it as a GOTY contender for anyone who plays a multitude of genres and titles.
At the very end of the day if I had to absolutely pick one of the other.
I probably would end up picking alien. Alien has the advantage of having the story which for me is a big plus.

Shadownet

Banned
You know what is disappointing? As you said by the end of the game it feel like you still miss something. Like a lot of questions were still left open. Which isn't usually a bad thing. But I feel like they're saving the answers for the Season Pass DLCs. Which is uncool. DLCs supposed to be extra content not you have to pay for an ending explanation.

Omega

Banned
You know what is disappointing? As you said by the end of the game it feel like you still miss something. Like a lot of questions were still left open. Which isn't usually a bad thing. But I feel like they're saving the answers for the Season Pass DLCs. Which is uncool. DLCs supposed to be extra content not you have to pay for an ending explanation.

this stopped being the case about 4 years ago.

If it's not the ending, it's other important parts that got gutted for profit

Miguel81

Thanks for sharing, and 13 hours sounds like a decent length. I'm just glad to get another Mikami horror game, even if it's not his best effort.

Very uncool, but it was something to be abused sooner or later.

Maniac

Banned
I haven't played in so long, I just can't remember any other tips.

I believe the optimal squads are 2x Assualt with shotguns, 1x Heavy (mostly for rockets), and 1x sniper early on. Later, just add more snipers.
Thank'ye kindly good sir.

I can't believe Halloween is almost upon us. I love watching Syfy 31 days of Halloween.
Syfy. Remember when they had Scifi? Pepperidge farm remembers. Anyway, 31 days? Bloody hell, I can't even think of 31 decent halloween-esque horror films, let alone enough stuff to fill a good chunk of 31 days. Jeez.

so basically jshackles is the web designer/programmer

saoirse is customer support

stump does the greenlight check thing for new releases

and mroange is community manager

hmmmmm
Forgot Turfster. He's the discount-maester.

Dusk is pretty much Steam reviewer, I'm pretty much "Steam Free Games Day". While gaffers like Dunder, Liez and Bernardo are " Steam Sale"
Does that make me the Steam loner? ,_,

... By the way, do we have any good GAF curator-stuff-thing for Steam? :p

I always thought one of the reasons Bulletstorm flopped was because they released a pretty terrible demo. It was a single level from the game that had a score attack objective which incentivized finishing it as fast as possible. So in the end it was about 5-10 minutes of play time and you never really got a chance to explore the combat and the combo system.

Instead of that they really should have released a multiplayer demo with one of the horde mode maps. I found them extremely fun to play. The way it was set up was that you had to reach a minimum team score to progress to the next wave of enemies. The required score would obviously increase with every wave and the way to reach higher scores was to set up combination kills with your team mates. You really had to work together and get creative with the skillshot system to get higher scores. It was fun, challenging and would have beautifully demonstrated the combat mechanics of the game. That's why I thought it would have made the perfect demo.

Of course, the industry these days seems to be terrified of releasing multiplayer demos. At best you get 'open betas' that last 2-6 days. They seem to be afraid that letting players play a demo longer will kill sales or something. Such a far cry from how things used to be a decade ago. All those hours spent in DM17 in q3test or Torlan in the UT2004 demo never stopped me from buying the full games.

Maniac

Banned
Hello friends.

How are you on this fine Saturday (or Sunday for you foreigner weirdos)?
Very fine, my darling. 3 AM, listening to some lovely ole music with a deep, thumping bassContemplating whether I should go to bed, play around with my new Intuos Pro or play some Alien or alike. Decisions... Decisions...
Edit: Almost forgot to say, all hail Bayonetta, the saviour of Nintendo. May she live long and prosper!
Nintendo needs her to :p
We have NeoGAF and NeoGAF Indie Games curator pages.
Cheers.

Durante

Ok, that triggered a memory. Story time!

The first time I was at a scientific conference (it was about computer vision), the guy speaking before me presented a tool for automatically deriving classification algorithms for image regions. Basically, you mark some regions and the tool derives an algorithm to find that type of region.

So he used an image like in the setting above as an example: bright and dark tiles, both in and out of the shadow. He made a particular point to note that you can't just look at the individual pixel intensity, since dark tiles in the light have the same intensity as light tiles in the shade.

He marked some bright tiles, both inside and outside the shade, and then ran the algorithm generator. Upon opening the code, what greeted him and us was a single line: p_i > 0.7.

That day, I decided never to do a live demo on a stage, and it has served me well since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom