• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

1/4 and then I ragequit. See you in the XBONE OT
:lol
ZvlLr9E.png

MadGear

First Multiplayer version of Unreal Tournament UE4 (made by some Epic staff and fans) is available to play thrgh unofficial servers for those who have access to UE4. I really miss he time when Epic used to release an epic Ubreal Tournament game and an epic Unreal game in parallel with each new iteration of their Unreal Engine. Sadly this successful habit stopped with the release of UT3.I hope UT UE4 will correct the past mistakes.

Well i wouldn't really call it a successful habit or even a habit because they only did this for 2 generations of the unreal engine.
Imo Unreal 2 just wasn't that good back then and tbh all i remember of that game are Aida, the flamethrower and these defense missions which i didn't like at all so I cant really blame them for not continuing with it.
But i loved Unreal to death and would love to see a reboot for it. I can already imagine how cool that first Skaarj encounter would look today :)

That said, i actually never played the expansion to Unreal, was it any good?

derExperte

Athleon

Glorious 11/11 here too. I'm surprised people found the copter one difficult, it was the easiest for me. The blades gave it away instantly.

Dr Dogg

I know a lot of you don't wanna know it or believe it, but unless there are a lot of changes per second, it's not easy to see difference for anyone, even harder for people with bad eye sight.
lemme give you an example, if you see a pebble on the road, you see exactly the same pebble if it's 60, 30, 10 or 1 fps and unless there are drastic frequent changies in light or humidity, you never will be able to say, good sight or no

I haven't seen that burrito thing you are referring to as I'm at work, just having fun my way (><)

Hahaha let's see if I can make a comment without descending this thread into madness. That's not how your eyesight works. We don't see in frames but it all starts with a photon that bounces off an object, enters our eye and then strikes the retina. This happen masses and masses of times and helps build up the object we see in front of us. This information is then fed to our brains through our optic nerve which then interprets the image, flips it the right way up and then process the information. Now that's very watered down but the tolerances to how people interpret this constant stream of information and how the change in motion is detected can vary across certain elements.

How we perceive motion is the key and the more information available the more smother and close to real life it appears hence more frames appears smoother. If you really want a test to realise that even a 60hz display is no where near enough information just scroll this page up and down and try and read the text whilst doing so. It's close to impossible at high speed but go grab a book or a newspaper and move it up and down in front of your eyes at roughly the same speed as you were scrolling the page and the text will be easier to pick out and (depending on person specific factors) should be readable at a scrolling speed higher than you could on a monitor.

It's customizable.
I don't know how far up it goes, but it starts from 1 second. I set it to 180 secs to start and OBS is estimating it will take 223megs of ram to keep that. So a shadowplay equivalent 20 minutes would take a lot of ram. I guess shadowplay is buffering to hard drive rather than memory.

Yeah ShadowPlay saves directly to disc (it was sent under the global temp directory). 180 ie 3mins is a tad low but baby steps.

I would say most people who get Alien on GAF thanks to the AMD codes paid like 20$ (like me) for the codes for 3 games, so we paid about 7$ for Alien ;)

I only paid $0.99 and I'm a little bit heated, the hype is starting to take hold. It's not that they are giving the codes out late because they might still give them out on time, but just the lack of communication from them on first the SC ship and now this.

Looks like Sega is trying to avoid AMD peeps getting credited with a preorder. Smart move on their part.

also, 11/11, although this computer seemed to struggle to play both videos at times, so I had to wait a while for the 60 fps video to not play so choppily.

abracadaver

Well i wouldn't really call it a successful habit or even a habit because they only did this for 2 generations of the unreal engine.
Imo Unreal 2 just wasn't that good back then and tbh all i remember of that game are Aida, the flamethrower and these defense missions which i didn't like at all so I cant really blame them for not continuing with it.
But i loved Unreal to death and would love to see a reboot for it. I can already imagine how cool that first Skaarj encounter would look today :)

Unreal isn't the same as Unreal Tournament, though.

Arthea

Hahaha let's see if I can make a comment without descending this thread into madness. That's not how you're eyesight works. We don't see in frames but it all starts with a photon that bounces off an object, enters our eye and then strikes the retina. This happen masses and masses of times and helps build up the object we see in front of us. This information is then fed to our brains through our optic nerve which then interprets the image, flips it the right way up and then process the information. Now that's very watered down but the tolerances to how people interpret this constant stream of information and how the change in motion is detected can vary across certain elements.

How we perceive motion is the key and the more information available the more smother and close to real life it appears hence more frames appears smoother. If you really want a test to realise that even a 60hz display is no where near enough information just scroll this page up and down and try and read the text whilst doing so. It's close to impossible at high speed but go grab a book or a newspaper and move it up and down in front of your eyes at roughly the same speed as you were scrolling the page and the text will be easier to pick out and (depending on person specific factors) should be readable at a scrolling speed higher than you could on a monitor.

very funny
I wasn't talking about a real pebble on the real road, you know that don't you? (><)
actually if I wouldn't be so lazy as I am, I would make vids, where 20 fps look like 60, and 60 like 20. but alas, that's too much work.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's pretty damn limited with how poor modern support for MSAA is.

As per the video I linked to, 2x MFAA, at least, doesn't require MSAA. The draw is that it offers anti-aliasing performance virtually identical to 2x MSAA but with a performance cost comparable to no AA, which obviously can't happen if the game still has to render MSAA for MFAA to take effect.

madjoki

Looks like Sega is trying to avoid AMD peeps from getting credited with a preorder. Smart move on their part.

It's related to codes whatever it's preorder or not, not time you register code (Usually extras are separate code).

Maybe they just want paid users to get headstart :(

I guess I won't be buying Deluxe upgrade then.

Dunno, I never played that expannsion. I stopped caring about Unreal Universe after since UT3 , but this UT UE4 looks to follow the right path. I loved Aida
( o Y o )
too.

RS4-

Anyone looking for Doom 3 BFG, Dishonored GOTY, and Fallout NV GOTY? Closest store for me is about an hour away, but they're selling physical copies of the game for $2.

Anyone interested? I'll assume all three activate on steam, despite the last two saying Games for Windows on the box lol.

abracadaver

Anyone looking for Doom 3 BFG, Dishonored GOTY, and Fallout NV GOTY? Closest store for me is about an hour away, but they're selling physical copies of the game for $2.

Anyone interested? I'll assume all three activate on steam, despite the last two saying Games for Windows on the box lol.

Are they region locked? I would like 2 keys for doom3 bfg. Will paypal you the money

oh cool

so they're not getting the bonuses either way? Sucks for the AMD folks, but they're getting it for peanuts so they should be fine.

I'm personally more terrified about the 15-20 hour playlength of Alien than anything else. Still, preloaded and ready to go.
At this point I cut every estimate in half. Shadow of mordor 40 hours my ass. I nearly 100%d that game in 17.

I expect alien to be 8 so even if it sucks it won't be too long.

I would say most people who get Alien on GAF thanks to the AMD codes paid like 20$ (like me) for the codes for 3 games, so we paid about 7$ for Alien ;)

I hate you
no, but I do :p

Alien Isolation is #1 on my wishlist, but 50€? I'm cheap, will buy it when it's 10€, winter seal price error miracle please...

derExperte

Dishonored and NV GOTY? If you happen to get your hands on one or both.... I could pay you in TF2 keys.

I'll go and see what I can find.

Don't go just because of me though, I own the normal versions of both but Bethesda and their DLC discounts....

Jawmuncher

so they're not getting the bonuses either way? Sucks for the AMD folks, but they're getting it for peanuts so they should be fine.

I'm personally more terrified about the 15-20 hour playlength of Alien than anything else. Still, preloaded and ready to go.

I don't see it being that long unless you go really slow. Curious what my total time will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom