• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Ya, once we started digging into the responses and Bethesda's tactics the truth became exceedingly obvious.

We should never assume that they will support even the most basic features.

So I guess the game is gamepad only, to keep parity with the console versions? Who needs kb+m, eh?

//EDIT
OT, but some of you here use Dolphin.
Apparently, strides were made with WiiU decryption - no concrete data as it's being kept private, so I can't really say if it's an universal or game-based exploit. Seems to work with DKR: Tropical Freeze so far.
Of course, it still will be years before anything would be done with Dolphin, but there's hope on the horizon.

Shadownet

Banned
Can someone reminds me why AC:3 was so hated? I seem to have forgotten.

Edit: I have a copy of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. If you want it. PM me on Steam or here for price. I didnt wanna post this on BST since I want it to go to a SteamGAF

r3n4ud

Pardon my ignorance, but why aren't all games 60fps? Why do some games run at 60 and others at 30fps? Sorry, I know very little about game development.

This QTE is unbeatable:
csr0CHh.jpg

I need to set the game running on 30 fps in order to beat it, and still was hard as hell.
It seems is a known bug :\

How do games still have these sorts of glitches? It's an insufferable oversight by the developers...

GTA4 had one in its final mission that was nigh unbeatable (not to mention frustrating as all Hell because the game doesn't believe in checkpoints).

Pardon my ignorance, but why aren't all games 60fps? Why do some games run at 60 and others at 30fps? Sorry, I know very little about game development.

Some games have engines that tie game logic to the framerate, to the point that running it in a higher fps would break certain parts of the game. For example, the issue I'm talking about above in my post is a problem where the button presses to pass the QTE were timed and set for a specific, console framerate of, say, 30FPS, when the PC version can run at double that... rendering the QTE impossible to complete unless the player kills their framerate somehow. It's how I ended up getting past the GTA4 QTE I mentioned.

AHA-Lambda

Personally, it's cos the story is total f*cking bollocks and ruined the modern day segments, but I know I'm one of 10 people that actually cared about that.

And yes I can still admit it's stupid crazy shit but so is MGS :p

Dr Dogg

Ya, once we started digging into the responses and Bethesda's tactics the truth became exceedingly obvious.

We should never assume that they will support even the most basic features.

That's a fair assement but that's why these companies pay through the nose on marketing and community engagement to shift the focus away from the contentious subjects (hahaha or not in Ubisoft's). Makes sense in my eyes, I wouldn't want to be highlighting something I know my potential customers might kick a stink up about.

But honesty and trust should always be considered.

So I guess the game is gamepad only, to keep parity with the console versions? Who needs kb+m, eh?

To be fair I don't think I could play with a mouse at low refresh rates unless there was a lot of mouse smoothing going on. And then if they was I'd definitely hate it if there was acceleration too as a side effect.

Deitus

It's a combination of series fatigue, a bland protagonist, a dumb story, and a terrible ending to the story that had been building over several games, among other issues, some of which are present in the previous games of the series as well. But mostly series fatigue.

Personally, it's cos the story is total f*cking bollocks and ruined the modern day segments, but I know I'm one of 10 people that actually cared about that.

I'm one of the other 9 then. It wasn't nearly as disappointing as ME3, if only because I was less invested in the story of AC than I was the ME story. But I was still invested enough that it was a huge disappointment story-wise.

Turfster

So, anyone here play Styx yet?
The reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, but I need that final push to spend all my hard-earned winter sale money on it at full price =p

It starts with an incredibly patronizing and hand-holding tutorial segment THAT NEVER ENDS
(takes about 10 hours before you even get your actual protagonist)

Zafir

Well if they're primarily developing for consoles, they often don't go for 60FPS anyway if they value visuals over smooth gameplay. Combine that with the fact you sometimes see animations and other things tied to the framerate. Then you have the issue of things getting broken when you uncap it from 30FPS so the PC version gets shafted.

You'd think that wouldn't be an issue on games designed to be on PC in the first place though. It's generally only an issue on ports where PC is an after thought.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Deluxe Edition are both 9.99 R$ in Brazil (less than 5 dollars). They're still 5 and 7,50 in the US store (they used to be like that down here as well).

Either a pricing mistake or a price drop for the Brazilian market - either way, only buying Assassin's Creed games after I played the previous one has finally paid off!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

There's a few reasons. In The Evil Within's case, I think it might be the game is hard-coded to 30fps. RE4 and REmake are both coded this way, so I was thinking TEW might be as well.

Hard-coded means if the game was below 30fps, the game would slow down, or if it wasn't capped if the game got over 30fps it would speed up.

AHA-Lambda

It's a combination of series fatigue, a bland protagonist, a dumb story, and a terrible ending to the story that had been building over several games, among other issues, some of which are present in the previous games of the series as well. But mostly series fatigue.

I'm one of the other 9 then. It wasn't nearly as disappointing as ME3, if only because I was less invested in the story of AC than I was the ME story. But I was still invested enough that it was a huge disappointment story-wise.

For me it was worse than ME3, was furious and am still burned.

Amazingly enough Unity looks like it has some real potential otherwise I'd not give it a second look.

Momentary

Banned
I was going to grab a copy of The Evil Within as a birthday gift to myself. Now I'll just wait for either the winter or summer sale. They lost a full price purchase from me for this bullshit.

I know people say this sort of crap all the time, but I usually buy game day 1, and this was one game I was looking forward to. I'm not going to pay full price for fucking parity on a platform that is more than capable of pushing this game beyond 60fps.

AC3 is fine, and I'd argue that it's actually a better game than AC4. It's better designed (if you don't count that you have to pause for weapon select), you play as one of the best characters in the series (not the main character, though), and the story both within the Animus and outside of it actually goes places. It's also not just a series of terrible tailing and stealth missions, which is pretty much all you do in AC4.

Still, the series has been going gradually downhill since Brotherhood and AC3 is part of that decline.

dot

There are so many nice gaf-folks. Thank you dot, you're so kawaii

yur welcome

I got a surprise for another person too, just waiting for their baka face to respond already. :( I had a crappy morning so maybe being nice and kawaii will let something good happen to me today.

So, the size of FFXIII on the Steam page (in the requirements) got bumped from 30GB to 60GB.

Ohhh uncompressed CGI cutscene goodness lol. No pre-load means its gonna take me like 10 years to download though.

but but but but butt but but but but but

it was supposed to be 30 :(

I have to delete more stuff now?!

From UE4 facebook page: "What do you get when a group of developers who've worked on BioShock, Halo, Guitar Hero and Rock Band come together and build something beautiful with Unreal Engine 4?

Just take a moment and watch this Kickstarter video. "

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molassesflood/the-flame-in-the-flood

Woah, this looks neat.

My poor, poor 80 GB harddrive. ;^;

LOL oh yu

r3n4ud

Well if they're primarily developing for consoles, they often don't go for 60FPS anyway if they value visuals over smooth gameplay. Combine that with the fact you sometimes see animations and other things tied to the framerate. Then you have the issue of things getting broken when you uncap it from 30FPS so the PC version gets shafted.

You'd think that wouldn't be an issue on games designed to be on PC in the first place though. It's generally only an issue on ports where PC is an after thought.

There's a few reasons. In The Evil Within's case, I think it might be the game is hard-coded to 30fps. RE4 and REmake are both coded this way, so I was thinking TEW might be as well.

Hard-coded means if the game was below 30fps, the game would slow down, or if it wasn't capped if the game got over 30fps it would speed up.

Thanks folks. Makes a little more sense.

Jawmuncher

I definitely think this is the case as well.
Considering how cinematic they have been pushing this game, I could see the 30FPS being hardcoded in.

Anteater

yea i'm guessing this is identical to bayonetta where they only wanted to focus on 1 platform (being a small studio) while someone else port the game to other platforms.

Dr Dogg

More useless facts from me. gifs don't run at frames per second but actually run at frame delay times. This can vary from browser to browser but next to never will hit an equivalent 60fps. Opera and Internet Explorer used to top out at around an equivalent of 14 frames per second no matter how you made the gif (might have changed though).

AHA-Lambda

What I will say for AC3 is, I don't understand how some can love Black Flag but hate AC3.

Aside from theme (and one Connor >_>), these games are so damn similar in many aspects.

MattyG

Banned
Damn, all this TEW negativity. I'm still pretty hyped for it. 60 FPS would have been preferred, but I still want to play the game.

In other news, Alien is FUCKING NERVE RACKING. The only other horror games I've ever played (DS1 and 2) didn't even scare me this many times in their whole playtime... and I'm only on the 5th chapter.

zkylon

zkylewd
What I will say for AC3 is, I don't understand how some can love Black Flag but hate AC3.

Aside from theme (and one Connor >_>), these games are so damn similar in many aspects.

ass 3 is pretty good if you ignore the desmond sections

i mean you know it's still a shallow ass game about doing ubi stuff but it's an ass creed game, if you're expecting any different by now it's your fault

but like, i liked it a lot more than ass bros for sure

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Damn, all this TEW negativity. I'm still pretty hyped for it. 60 FPS would have been preferred, but I still want to play the game.

In other news, Alien is FUCKING NERVE RACKING. The only other horror games I've ever played (DS1 and 2) didn't even scare me this many times in their whole playtime... and I'm only on the 5th chapter.

No worries, I'm actually more excited because a few people got their hands on the game early and their impressions and impressions of people who have glanced at early streams before they were taken down are glowing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Some people just struggled to relate to Connor I guess. It was probably easier for them to relate with Ezio and Edward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom