• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Does anyone know if Evil Within runs at a dynamic resolution like Rage did?

That would explain why it's frame locked to 30; it's core to the way IDTech5 works. Wolfenstein wasn't, but i'm not sure how much they fooled with the engine.

From UE4 facebook page: "What do you get when a group of developers who've worked on BioShock, Halo, Guitar Hero and Rock Band come together and build something beautiful with Unreal Engine 4?

Just take a moment and watch this Kickstarter video. "

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molassesflood/the-flame-in-the-flood

9cb31834253bc992663a5bea595f59bb_large.gif

I would not have run across this kickstarter if you had not posted this, so thanks for the heads up! Looks like a game that's right up mine and my wife's alley. Backed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does anyone know if Evil Within runs at a dynamic resolution like Rage did?

That would explain why it's frame locked to 30; it's core to the way IDTech5 works. Wolfenstein wasn't, but i'm not sure how much they fooled with the engine.

We don't know yet, all we know for PC version resolution is that it can go 1440p, and that you can remove the black borders and play 16:9.

Actually, that second point may mean its dynamic.

Also The Evil Within related, the opening credits (not cutscene, no spoilers in this video, PS3 version).

Teeth

We don't know yet, all we know for PC version resolution is that it can go 1440p, and that you can remove the black borders and play 16:9.

Actually, that second point may mean its dynamic.

Also The Evil Within related, the opening credits (not cutscene, no spoilers in this video.

Mmmmm....I don't think so. That seems more like the same as when you render a game in either 16:9 or 16:10. It frames the game differently and renders more (or less) pixels, but it's not actually changing anything on the fly.

Rage would do a look-ahead call on the next frame and see whether it was going to make the 16.67ms frame time, and if it wasn't, would render the frame at a lower resolution internally, then blow it up to whatever your selected resolution was. It was core to the engine; the game never dropped below 60fps, ever, no matter what was on the screen. Wipeout HD on PS3 did the same thing. It was a pretty amazing load balancing algorithm that emphasized playability over visuals at the engine level.

The thing is, you could make that frame time check to be 33.33ms and then just throw a whole lot more at the screen. I'm wondering if that's what TEW does.

ukntitled1.gif

All I see here is nightmares

This girl and your girl are so similar, I don't even...

Jawmuncher

I wasn't even tracking Styx.
But after beating Shadows of Mordor and wanting another stealth fantasy game. it looks quite good for what it is.

Football Manager 2015 features. One thing that's caught my ear a few minutes in was them talking about the motion capture and working with Creative Assembly for it, using their studio and such. Hopefully the 3D engine doesn't look shit now.

EDIT: Of course, real managers use the 2D engine anyway.

Skyzard

Banned
That's a fair assement but that's why these companies pay through the nose on marketing and community engagement to shift the focus away from the contentious subjects (hahaha or not in Ubisoft's). Makes sense in my eyes, I wouldn't want to be highlighting something I know my potential customers might kick a stink up about.

But honesty and trust should always be considered.

To be fair I don't think I could play with a mouse at low refresh rates unless there was a lot of mouse smoothing going on. And then if they was I'd definitely hate it if there was acceleration too as a side effect.

Yup, won't be able to play with a mouse. Going to have to get gud with a controller...not going to be as satisfying taking the heads off with shots though :/

May stream styx a bit later on but there are great gameplay vids out there too.

Ozium

feel so justified in voting for the correct banner this month given all of TEW's shortcomings....

although the one thing I don't like about Alien is that it's almost too good.

Dr Dogg

Football Manager 2015 features. One thing that's caught my ear a few minutes in was them talking about the motion capture and working with Creative Assembly for it, using their studio and such. Hopefully the 3D engine doesn't look shit now.

EDIT: Of course, real managers use the 2D engine anyway.

I used to edit the commentary text files back in the days or 2 and 3. Pretty much ripped off all of Motty's and Johnathon Pierce's catchphrases. I think you can still do it now as most of the structure is xml files.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This QTE is unbeatable:
csr0CHh.jpg

I need to set the game running on 30 fps in order to beat it, and still was hard as hell.
It seems is a known bug :\

I had the same problem with a QTE in Black Ops 1. Couldn't beat it. Only way to do was mapping the key the wanted me to press to the mousewheel and even then it was hard. So dumb

Sheytan

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sheytan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Titan Quest Gold -- MB-7BB6B84DFFA70A9F - Taken by Darth Kupi. 9 entrants total.
Red Faction: Armageddon -- MB-A266A3A4D4D3ED9F - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-F4F79F1753EFEE00 - Taken by SSPssp. 11 entrants total.

t1412729138z1.png

I used to edit the commentary text files back in the days or 2 and 3. Pretty much ripped off all of Motty's and Johnathon Pierce's catchphrases. I think you can still do it now as most of the structure is xml files.

Proper logos and kits was always the priority for me. Most of the game was pretty editable in that respect, like how getting around the fake German team was a simple file delete and nothing more annoying.

Also, both surprisingly and unsurprisingly, one of the few games series involved in sponsoring teams. Can'[t think of any other gaming companies who also do it, I figured it'd be rather useful.

fantomena

Oh god. I won't receive my Evil Within Steam review code before on release day.

I don't like where this is going. I usually receive Bethesda/Konami games about 1 week before release.

Dr Dogg

*faints*
damn that price is master hype killer, 30fps has nothing on it, even 6GB VRAM can only wish to be so effective (><)

Well it's priced like that probably because...

I'd hang on for something official before getting too excited.

Proper logos and kits was always the priority for me. Most of the game was pretty editable in that respect, like how getting around the fake German team was a simple file delete and nothing more annoying.

Also, both surprisingly and unsurprisingly, one of the few games series involved in sponsoring teams. Can'[t think of any other gaming companies who also do it, I figured it'd be rather useful.

Hahaha oh yeah I know what you mean. But I used to hang around thedugout and solusi from way back in the Champ Man days I always had them up to date.

Yeah AFC Wimbledon might not be the biggest draw but SI's name is out there. I remember when FM 2006 or 07 had a rag tag bunch from Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday in the game. I think Lovejoy was rubbish.

Jawmuncher

In all seriousness.
I'm questioining why I even bought a PS4 and XB1.
Just about everything I want to play is on PC now.

Only worthwhile exclusive thus far has been D4 on XB1.
At least I have Bloodborne for next year.

Money spent on anything console related is almost nothing at this point.

Grief.exe

I don't like where this is going. I usually receive Bethesda/Konami games about 1 week before release.

Why did they change it up on you. Earlier it sounded like you got confirmation your key would be here sooner.

Sounds like damage control.

In all seriousness.

That's why I am so apprehensive about buying a PS4 or WiiU. There are some titles there, but not all that many interest me.

kiyomi

L.O.R.D

I AM BACK

just finished a 7 days of hard work in hajj this season in mecca
i have now throat pain and can barley talk

what i missed ?

Phawx

Someone that reads my posts, ask my Styx question again?

My friend seemed to really enjoy it. Platforming is non-accurate. Other than that, pretty neat assassination game.

Bethesda usually always gets back to me and then ultimately shuns.

Arthea

Well it's priced like that probably because...

I'd hang on for something official before getting too excited.

you got it wrong (><)
excitement doesn't come into picture at this point even, I'm still fighting my righteous fight against 50&#8364;! I don't have words for this abomination, hence fainting.

In all seriousness.

One of the reasons I haven't bought into current gen yet, not sure I need it

fantomena

Why did they change it up on you. Earlier it sounded like you got confirmation your key would be here sooner.

Sounds like damage control.

There was an email that have slipped in my inbox. Thought I read "few days", but it was "on release day", so no damage control, so far at least.

Grief.exe

Dr Dogg

you got it wrong (><)
excitement doesn't come into picture at this point even, I'm still fighting my righteous fight against 50€! I don't have words for this abomination, hence fainting.

I'm joking silly. I've been making a few parity of handed comments today if you haven't noticed.

fantomena

But I feel like the general "thing" is to wait for the game to release so we get more information if Beth/Tango don't release any info before release day.

AHA-Lambda

In all seriousness.

Exactly the same here, and all my money now is going to building a new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom