• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Got woken up by this news as I stupidly didn't switch my phone to do not disturb last night. Surprisingly it was the only email I got throughout the course of the night.

And again GAF is freaking about feature that is in that franchise for years now (I know that you posted news here lashman :p)

Microtransactions will be offered in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Because Microtransactions are the Devil and Yves Guillemot is Satan in a lot of people's eyes.

Why do people think just because it's old means it's not bullshit? They could do it for years, it's as bullshit as it was when they started.

As a seasoned veteran of many a UbiJank games I can honestly say none of their microtransactions other than the Unity Companion App Premium feature break the balance of their games as they've been grindy as fuck for ages. What is shocking is how most publishers will always peddle the reasoning 'but this is for players who don't have the time to spend unlocking everything' and then charge them through the fucking nose for the 'privileged' of getting the content in the game already but at an extra cost. When Battlefield had the Easy Unlock pack for BFBC2 and they actually started selling in silly numbers (well I guess 1 purchase would class as silly in my eyes) then you can see why they've stuck around. In a single player game where it's not giving anyone an advantage over my experience I couldn't give a toss to the wind if a publisher wants to fleece people of money if they're happy to pay for them just as long as my experience isn't crippled to offer that option (waves to MGSV and Dead Space 3) but in muliplayer games almost everything as a paid extra in a full price game is pretty much taking liberties.

fertygo

Steam guard say my account got uninvited visitor, but I'm not sure because its from my own country and my internet disconnect and connect at times.

I'm already play it safe tho, but does your steam guard got triggered by your dynamic ip?

Tizoc

Wait doesn't Zangief mess everything up for that rumored list? AH YEAH Juri still had a chance

I still say Alex and Urien are in, but I'm glad the Gief made it, my brothers really like Gief and hot damn is he looking real good in SF5 X3

dex3108

Why do people think just because it's old means it's not bullshit? They could do it for years, it's as bullshit as it was when they started.

For me it will be bullshit when they stand between me and game. As long as they don't have impact on game it is fine. If people want to spend more money on game without reason it is their decision.

Is it nice to hear that AAA game has microtransactions? No. Is it an issue? Yes if it is mandatory.

Wait doesn't Zangief mess everything up for that rumored list? AH YEAH Juri still had a chance

It's a silly thought but a thought all the same.
Seeing as how SF5 has the initial roster, and then unlockables in the future, they decided to change things around to mess with expectations.

I still say Alex and Urien are in, but I'm glad the Gief made it, my brothers really like Gief and hot damn is he looking real good in SF5 X3

It's almost impossible though. Since there is only 1 classic character, 1 character you haven't seen in a while and 2 new characters left to announce. They'll maybe be DLC but no way they are both in at launch.

Seeing as how SF5 has the initial roster, and then unlockables in the future, they decided to change things around to mess with expectations.

How do you mean mess with expectations? Almost the entire cast was completely expected.

Tizoc

It's almost impossible though. Since there is only 1 classic character, 1 character you haven't seen in a while and 2 new characters left to announce. They'll maybe be DLC but no way they are both in at launch.

How do you mean mess with expectations? Almost the entire cast was completely expected.

Consider the following however: Ono will be at Brazil Game Show
Ono will be at NYCC and in EVERY nycc Capcom revealed a character for their game

What does that leave for the reamaining 3 months? Unless SF5 releases in January they wouldn't have a lot to show to promote the game.

...and nobody Expected Claw and I'm glad he's in.

Annubis

Steam guard say my account got uninvited visitor, but I'm not sure because its from my own country and my internet disconnect and connect at times.

I'm already play it safe tho, but does your steam guard got triggered by your dynamic ip?

It's more based on which computer.
Did you access Steam from another computer? (web browser also counts)

Ok, so after 67 hours...I'm done with the story bits of MGS5. I'll try and spoiler what I can, but you've been warned. This might be long post.

Things I Liked :

Gameplay - The in-mission gameplay is top notch. I didn't find much jank and Boss controls pretty well. Enemy AI was pretty solid, adjusting tactics throughout the game (helmets, shields, etc.). Combat was quite satisfying throughout, though I mainly played stealth and only dabbled in heavy combat when the game forced me to. The different buddies were unique and helpful their own way, tailoring to different styles. Except D-Horse, he was kind of useless.

I liked being able to call in supply drops and air raids and stuff, though the iDroid/Ocelot stuff became a little grating ("Map has been updated", "The enemy sniper"....).

I enjoyed the Mother Base stuff, but I wish there was a bit more to do other than go back and shower. It was cool watching the base expand, but really no reason to explore. Most of my time spent in game was mostly for recruiting purposes, choosing stealth/lethal based on stats. Something about that feels wrong....

Customization - I enjoyed the customization interface on MGS4 better, but I'm glad they kept this in on 5. I liked being able to tailor and paint weapons to my liking. Every custom weapon was pink camo, because it was hilarious.

Neutral Things :

FOB - I participated in not a damn FOB mission. I was never Invaded and don't think I expanded the FOB at all. It's a feature I'd prefer to not have in the game, but fortunately it didn't impact anything.

Tapes - I liked Codec's better because they are a bit more visual, but I actually didn't mind having everything on tapes. Gave me flexibility to listen to only what I wanted to and still move around. Some drag on for quite a bit of time and I hate how enemy broadcasts overwrite the subtitles, but overall no real impact.

Things I Disliked :

Oh boy

Story - Let's get this out of the way. Holy shit. It was bad. The plot twist was clever, but actually made me not want to play the game anymore. I guess The Phantom Pain refers to the
pain when you realize you're playing the game as a phantom
. It's clear the game was rushed as shit as Chapter 2 is a complete cluster fuck compared to 1. It's not really that they didn't wrap up the story bits, it's that there really wasn't anything to wrap up. It felt like nothing really happened and then they through in the Truth mission out of nowhere to just end things. Really awful direction from a story standpoint.

I really didn't like the episodic nature they tried to do, it made the game feel disjointed and prevented scenes from flowing (helicopter shitstorm scene -> ACC to redeploy -> helicopter crash scene). Complete immersion breaker.

The nature of the 'episodes' seemed more in line with a sitcom where there is a larger very loose arc, but each episode is compartmentalized vaguely covering the arc. I was hoping for more something in line with The Wire. Where each episode moved you forward towards a goal. ...I still don't know what the 'end goal' of this story was. Things just kind of happened. I think Episode 51 would have helped massively, but the story was still a mess.

Intro/Outro - Why was this a good idea? You're basically spoiling any reveals of the current mission by telling me who's going to be in it. "Oh, Man on Fire and Gunship in this mission? Cool". Just bad and really unnecessary. Just like the "To Be Continued" nonsense that showed up 3 times.

Timers/Microtransactions - We all know Microtransactions suck, so not much to touch on there. The timers in this game do nothing but gate progression. 8 hour in-game timer? fuck you. And then limiting how many things you can develop? Ugh.

Unable to 100% Stealth - I've bitched here before, but it's annoying that the game forces you to go lethal on roughly 3 'climax' missions. The game doesn't tell you this, forcing you to retreat to the ACC to develop or redeploy some more aggressive weapons. Unfortunately, only 2 missions let you retreat. To get through 45, I had to restart the mission and individually supply drop Armor, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, and grenade pistol. Even then, only got through by calling in Air Support constantly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tl:dr

Unfortunately, the negatives out way the positives for me. I enjoy MGS games for the convoluted stories, but this was a bit different lacking flow and a real overall story arc. Just based on Game play? It'd be high on my GOTY list but overall I was quite disappointed with the package we received as the Final Kojima MGS game.

I still got my money's worth out of it, but the bad taste is still lingering.

something something fiddle

Dr Dogg

I used to have to re authenticate Steam Guard when my ISP would switch my IP around to Iceland (yeah don't ask) but not if it was from the same country.

Origin on the other hand constantly tells me I'm logged in on a difference device when it happens though.

Jawmuncher

It'll be interesting to see, since it seems like 2 new SFV characters on lock. So that would mean only 1 more veteran character. If they're still even following that. I'm just glad people can't talk like we know the list 100% now.

Wouldn't even be surprised. Especially since they probably have some characters that will released shortly after.

Bigby

'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 1 - 'The Order of the Stone' Trailer

In Minecraft: Story Mode, playing as either a male or female hero named 'Jesse,' you’ll embark on a perilous adventure across the Overworld, through the Nether, to the End, and beyond. You and your friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect; slayers of the Ender Dragon. While at EnderCon in hopes of meeting Gabriel the Warrior, Jesse’s friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and you must set out on a quest to find The Order of the Stone if you are to save your world from oblivion.

Aaron D.

Anyone know the best place to preorder Fallout 4? Hook me up.

GMG was selling pre-orders for $45 back around E3. I imagine they'll offer the 25% discount again leading up closer to release.

I'd hold out and see who has the best deal when launch is imminent. Hype will be high and lots of outlets will by vying for your dollar.

All Call of Duty games after and including Modern Warfare 2 use Steamworks, yes. The previous ones don't.
I think fellow SteamGaffer Thezez bought a Steam key for BLOPS1 (thanks bernardo!) and it turned out that Mac version does not give Windows version as well - as a freak exception.

I know, not much to do with the question but it ought to be important info when buying.
No humble bundle today lame.
https://twitter.com/humble/status/649615005956964353

Humble Bundle ‏@humble 1m1 minute ago
There will be no new Weekly Bundle today but we do have a big announcement so stick around.
I'm still optimistic about an Assassin's Creed bundle coming soon. Very soon.

MUnited83

For you.
I think fellow SteamGaffer Thezez bought a Steam key for BLOPS2 and it turned out that Mac version does not give Windows version as well - as a freak exception.

I know, not much to do with the question but it ought to be important info when buying.

BLOPS 1, not BLOPS 2 :)

aw350

Banned
Hrrrrm.

Never played any visual novels, was living a happy life. Accidentally played SC2VN (a short VN about eSports). It was pretty good, but now half of my queue is otome novels in rosy pastel colors...

Uzzy

You missed above though. This opens up a whole new door.

Yeah, to Dhalsim.

Were going to be playing with the 'iconic' World Warriors with our great grandkids. Every time I see another one of them revealed for SFV my hype goes down another notch.

Buraindo

I think fellow SteamGaffer Thezez bought a Steam key for BLOPS2 and it turned out that Mac version does not give Windows version as well - as a freak exception.

It's worth noting that every other CoD game with a mac version has Steam Play so yeah, the Mac version for Black Ops is one weird anomaly. Thanks for mentioning that though.

Assassin's Creed bundle eh? Wouldn't say no to it, haven't played any of the games after Revelations.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, to Dhalsim.

Were going to be playing with the 'iconic' World Warriors with our great grandkids. Every time I see another one of them revealed for SFV my hype goes down another notch.

You gotta believe. Juri is coming back.
zxo2m.gif

bigzgod

Steam keys, ~believe!~

:')

If there is an AC bundle, you'll at least get ACIII as a steam key, considering humble sells steam key versions of it already, if that's any consolation :p

They have generated steam keys for ACIV before but that was only because of the Unity Seasons Pass offer. I don't think they'll do so again, especially for ACIV.

The first AC will be DRM free.

Other than those, everything else would likely be Uplay unfortunately.

Dr Dogg

Ha! Nvidia want £150 for the 16gb Shield TV and £220 for the 500gb version. Sure it's a pretty hefty device and their game streaming service offers something none of the other streaming boxes do but it's close to 3 times the bloody cost of the competition plus game streaming comes with a monthly fee that will easily add up.

Arthea

Hrrrrm.

Never played any visual novels, was living a happy life. Accidentally played SC2VN (a short VN about eSports). It was pretty good, but now half of my queue is otome novels in rosy pastel colors...

welcome to the dark side, be sure to play/read Narcissu as it's free and really good, but most importantly buy Higurashi and Long Live the Queen, to see what VNs really can be if people try.

aw350

Banned
welcome to the dark side, be sure to play/read Narcissu as it's free and really good, but most importantly buy Higurashi and Long Live the Queen, to see what VNs really can be if people try.

Heh.

Long Live the Queen ...looks ...intriguing.

Thanks for the recommendations, wishlisted!

(Damn, what I am getting into.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom