• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
https://twitter.com/humble/status/654358513804644353

E2u1QIN.png

People are thinking the purple is Saints Row and the lantern is Torchlight II. Humble said the monthly bundle would include games not previously bundled by them, but it's not clear if that applies to all included games or some.
Thats definitely the SR symbol. GAT out of Hell hasnt been bundled yet.

Phawx

Anyone check out KeeperRL? It's kind of a 2-in-1 Dungeon Keeper and (more accessible) Dwarf Fortress. It looks pretty neat in early access at the moment.

Yea, I did a Quick Look on it awhile ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8OJv4R8vuI

I *really* liked this game though I kind of tapped out the Early Access-ness of it. I was hoping to get back into it when more features were added but more-or-less your Dungeon Keeper meets (casual)Dwarf Fortress assessment is correct.

Another neat feature it has is *after* you do the Dungeon Keeper portion of the game, you can play through your map (where your dungeon resides) in a single player Roguelike fashion.

Or you could play maps made from other people.

Very very cool.

I *really* liked this game though I kind of tapped out the Early Access-ness of it. I was hoping to get back into it when more features were added but more-or-less your Dungeon Keeper meets (casual)Dwarf Fortress assessment is correct.

Another neat feature it has is *after* you do the Dungeon Keeper portion of the game, you can play through your map (where your dungeon resides) in a single player Roguelike fashion.

Very very cool.
How does its Dungeon Keeperiness compare to War for the Overworld? (If you've played it.)

MUnited83

For you.
g
r
o
s
s
I enjoyed it. I mean, yeah, its not much more than just a city filled with a bunch of activities that you have to complete over and over, with not much of a story mode, but it was alright. Traversal is the best yet in the series and despite not much story content there's still plenty of funny sequences in those.

I enjoyed it. I mean, yeah, its not much more than just a city filled with a bunch of activities that you have to complete over and over, with not much of a story mode, but it was alright. Traversal is the best yet in the series and despite not much story content there's still plenty of funny sequences in those.

To go from SR4 (aka SR3- Xpac DLC) to that really tells me Deep Silver's bar of quality.

I miss THQ.

MUnited83

For you.
To go from SR4 (aka SR3- Xpac DLC) to that really tells me Deep Silver's bar of quality.

I miss THQ.
I do hope they change things up in SRV. That engine they've been using needs to go ASAP.

I dont think GAT is a bad entry in the series, but you have to consider its a small-budget spin-off. If someone enjoys SR gameplay, its certainly worth 3.75$ whenever it reaches that price point.

louiedog

I do hope they change things up in SRV. That engine they've using needs to go ASAP.

I dont think GAT is a bad entry in the series, but you have to consider its a small-budhet spin-off. If someone enjoys SR gameplay, its certainly worth 3.75$ whenever it reaches that price point.

I got it for $4.99 when GameStop had the pre-order price mistake and didn't feel bad about my purchase.

Phawx

How does its Dungeon Keeperiness compare to War for the Overworld? (If you've played it.)

I haven't played it but it looks pretty similar. Basically you mine sections of a mountain using imps and then you grid out areas a certain designation, like vault/wizards/etc. Then they either store or generate whatever unit you selected and from there can have them scout out unexplored areas of the map.

Again, KeeperRL isn't pretty. But I had a lot of fun with it.

There is a freedemo here:

http://miki151.itch.io/keeperrl

Purkake4

Banned

Very very cool.
Nice to hear. How deep is the combat system? Does it keep track of specific body part health and conditions like Dwarf Fortress or is it more on the attack vs defense, damage vs hitpoints side?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (TronLight, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Crew Wild Run Beta 3 -- MB-2FA567CD41F4F2F6 - Taken by Stallion Free
The Crew Wild Run Beta 2 -- MB-DFF369247DD5E346
The Crew Wild Run Beta 1 -- MB-AF6F3DDE98929F4C - Taken by GERGiEV

Giving these away here in case somebody wants to try the new (?) The Crew.

Phawx

Nice to hear. How deep is the combat system? Does it keep track of specific body part health and conditions like Dwarf Fortress or is it more on the attack vs defense, damage vs hitpoints side?

It does keep track of damage to body parts, though I don't remember if you could see it or not. But many times I encountered either my troops or my enemies arms getting chopped off and then they couldn't attack me any more.

Likewise, legs can be chopped off. If they only have one leg, there movement is severely impaired. If both legs get chopped off, I believe they stop moving altogether.

edit: About the combat system in general, it's not too deep but it's definitely not shallow. Certain troops are better against others. Some unit types are immune to certain effects. You can also pause time and make actions on a turn-based schedule ala Roguelike. Which it then plays more like a casual Strategy RPG. The game is always turn based, but there are different speeds that you can set the game to auto advance.

Kyougar

Out of all IPs in the world, who thought it was a good idea to choose the 1 IP that doesn't have a story to create an adventure game? (Minecraft)

- The players created their own stories
- Modders created hundres or thousands of story mods
- it is a loveletter to the community
- it is FANSERVICE to the community

Purkake4

Banned
It does keep track of damage to body parts, though I don't remember if you could see it or not. But many times I encountered either my troops or my enemies arms getting chopped off and then they couldn't attack me any more.

Likewise, legs can be chopped off. If they only have one leg, there movement is severely impaired. If both legs get chopped off, I believe they stop moving altogether.
That's cool, one of the best things about DF is the ridiculous detail that the health is simulated to with circulatory and respiratory systems and stuff.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bernie Needs Love -- MB-977E057503D98DFF - Taken by Diedac

Momentary

Banned
Tales of Zest pulled almost 400,000 units in the first week in JAPAN. I don't see this selling close to that on STEAM. I hope it does. I see it maybe getting 150,000 at the most.

Hektor

The Campaign Series: Fall Weiss RFZBY-6ZAJK-G23CZ
Postal: 5NWX0-772D2-DP23A

New update coming for Party Hard in the next few days, coupled with 33%off sale
89f83b94-4f65-45ec-9184-170197c6cb06.gif

f591006c-1217-4fc4-8d58-bf033643ee6f.gif

I was so looking forward to the game initially, but its such a borefest. Does the patch include fun?

And its not even released.

https://twitter.com/humble/status/654358513804644353

People are thinking the purple is Saints Row and the lantern is Torchlight II. Humble said the monthly bundle would include games not previously bundled by them, but it's not clear if that applies to all included games or some.

mhm. Meh. Got no use for those 2.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Full Bore -- MB-A67997C0E9C811F6 - Taken by Robaperas
Guns of Icarus Online -- MB-0EAF66C49A536B34 - Taken by Purkake4

Aleskar

Banned
Tales of Zest pulled almost 400,000 units in the first week in JAPAN. I don't see this selling close to that on STEAM. I hope it does. I see it maybe getting 150,000 at the most.

Iirc japan's "tales of" sales numbers outscale every region combined to a high degree. Correct me if im wrong.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It's more like Picross or nonograms.

I have no idea what that is

Picross aka nonogramas aka griddlers is a puzzle game in which you look at the numbers in a column and a row, and then fill in the colour (often just black) and form a picture. Similar to Minesweeper in that you spend time marking what won't work, unlike Minesweeper in that it starts off as a blank image and you don't start with a random guess.
Images can be anything from a 5 by 5 picture that makes the letter H to a some picross puzzles out there of 1000 by 1000 to recreate a Vang Gogh painting.

This is an example from a Game Boy game where the idea is to form the picture of a Game Boy. The X blocks represent that don't fit, while the black spots are where they were filled in with a colour (the board starts all white).
QX51uO4.jpg

The top row has a number of 15. That means that 15 of the spots in that row are to be coloured in, which is easy when there is only 15 blocks in that row. Other rows or columns that aren't so simple, it's a matter of finding where each fits and having it fit the numbers of other rows/columns. So for example if you can find out where 2 2 (meaning two different groups of 2 blocks) for a row go, you can X out everything else in that row because they will have nothing in them.

It's a very relaxing and simulating game picross. Very easy to get into if you are of the type to get into puzzle games, while having the ability to offer good challenge the higher the difficulty and/or size goes.

Paint it Back has a demo if you wish to try that, http://www.griddlers.net/griddlers exists as one where fans of the puzzle type put up all their designs, and if you have a device that plays DS games you can always get Nintendo's Picross series which most agree is top of the line.

ArjanN

Out of all IPs in the world, who thought it was a good idea to choose the 1 IP that doesn't have a story to create an adventure game? (Minecraft)

1. blank canvas
2. one of the biggest gaming IPs in the world

After having tried well over a dozen times to collect +50K gold, buying the Ankh, dying at 3-x, killing Ramses, going to City of Gold, grabbing the Necronomicon, defeating Olmec, going to Hell and finally kill Yama, I realized that being a law-abiding spelunker is HELL. Made it the furthest to getting a Udjet and dying in 4-1 to Ramcunt. It was the only time I got the Udjet too.

Fuck it, I said and killed the shopkeepers. Got a jetpack, a shotgun and tons of bombs.
Now at the entrance of the blackmarket. So many shopkeepers there, urgh, how am I gonna make it??? -_-'

Paused the game, need an hour or so break. I tell ya, Shopkeeper have to dieeeeeee!!!!

Spelunky pro-tip: don't kill any shopkeepers until the black market. Then kill all of them in there and rob it completely blind. There's basically foolproof ways to do it. I do it the way I saw Patick Klepek do it: Blow up the ledge at the top left, climb up on a rope, aggro the shopkeeper so he runs off the ledge, then work you way down dropping bombs on the shopkeeper from above. Basically do this every run, because having all the stuff from the black market makes the rest of the game much easier.

After finally remembering to watch the ending for Broken Age (I skipped it when I finally got to it to ensure the speedrun trophy/achievement popped and didn't feel like going back to redo the finale to watch the ending, so I watched it on YT this morning)... I decided to go look at the badges and emotes/wallpapers.

What a wasted opportunity, Double Fine.

Pretty sad.

watching the ending on youtube that is :p

Khronico

I feel like an idiot with this ENB stuff. Every time I've tried to use one it hasn't worked. Just tried it with RE5 and it didn't affect anything other than an overaly that told me it was working (which it wasn't).

Man, when you get within a few levels of the end in Runestone Keeper the difficulty ramps up hard. Not impossible but it definitely takes off.

Nzyme32

Can someone recommend me a good mouse?

I'm kind of surprised Mr Orange's thread of magic doesn't have anything to do with mouse options

Lomax

After finally remembering to watch the ending for Broken Age (I skipped it when I finally got to it to ensure the speedrun trophy/achievement popped and didn't feel like going back to redo the finale to watch the ending, so I watched it on YT this morning)... I decided to go look at the badges and emotes/wallpapers.

What a wasted opportunity, Double Fine.

It really is sad some of the background choices for some games. The Doctor Who Adventure Game has to be the worst though. All the potential they had and we got boring ugly landscapes with nothing on them at all related to the series.

I'm kind of surprised Mr Orange's thread of magic doesn't have anything to do with mouse options

I've been really happy with my CM Storm Recon, and it was pretty cheap (under $30). I think most people just recommend Logitech mouses though.

I really like my Steelseries Rival (now called Rival 300). I use a hybrid grip and it feels nice but next time I'll get a bigger one to fit my large hands. The buttons and grips are really nice, colored lights fun. Reviews call the sensor supreme, but I can't say other than it moves solidly.

Aerocrane

I've got a Mionix Naos 7000. It's a bit on the large side, so you'd probably want to try it in a store. It's got some dumb leds on it, but they can be disabled from the driver software. The driver software also has a nice amount of options for the sensor and macros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom