• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phawx

I posted my quick look previously but this time I have an a written impression:

My Quick Look on Kingdom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx25K_bgHfg

header.jpg

Quick Impressions: Before I begin, it's technically a spoiler to read anything about Kingdom. The game is obtuse and slow on purpose. It's designed this way so that the fun of the game is in the exploration. And even though I really dislike games that pad game length with nonsense filler, Kingdom uses the speed of the game as a mechanic. It took me 21~ hours to beat the game.

Kingdom is a real-time strategy game (with permadeath) where the playable character cannot attack or direct his troops. Instead you can only recruit more people and upgrade your fortress. After recruiting people from remote camps, you have to assign them jobs.

There are four jobs. Five if you consider the different states of the archers. Again, this info is spoilery.

Workers - The only class that can build or repair structures. The only weapon they can fire is the trebuchet.
Farmers - Can only generate money and will not attack.
Archers - In Defensive mode, they are able to "Hunt and Gather" which is the only resource (gold coins) you need to collect.
Archers - In Offensive Mode, can only be toggled by creating knights. Every Knight that is created will convert three of your defensive archers to offensive archers. Offensive archers will not Hunt and Gather.
Knights - The last class to unlock. They can only be sent to do battle once you have a flag raised on either end of your fortress. They are primarily used as a wall to protect your offensive archers, but they can attack anything directly in front of them.

The game has no story, but it's presentation is stellar. The OST juxtaposed against the chunky yet serene pixel art produces this almost zen-like symphony. It is a rare game that can so purposefully 'waste' my time yet pull me in to unravel its mysteries.

Additionally, for the people with disabilities or for parents reading this, the game can be played one-handed. So you can hold a child in one arm and use the arrow keys on the keyboard with the other. This is a killer feature in terms of easy accessibility.

Please try to limit how much you read into this game if you're interested. Only look for walkthroughs and other things if you are completely stuck. Again, learning how to beat the game is the 'fun' of the game.

Highly Recommended

Also please excuse the flowery language. I really like the game.

Kyougar

fuck, i cant start zesty with sound. I have a g35 Headset and cant seem to set it to stereo only :(

I have no other working sound on this PC (5.1 sound system is botched, has cracking sound)

If I disable sound I can start zesty just fine :[

Yrael

It just hit me that the next Steam sale is only about a week away now...I'm going to try and exercise some control though, and at least hold back until the end of the year. >_> (Do Halloween sales tend to go as low as the winter and summer sales? I can't remember what the discounts were like last year.)

How's ducktales remastered?
I really hope they add that one

What a treat, then, that Ducktales Remastered (a port/remake developed by Wayforward Technologies) is light-years ahead of the original version. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this is a faithful remake that does justice to the license while throwing a boatload of extra content for longtime fans.

The original game had what can best be described as an "excuse plot" - you journey around the world to find five treasures, and at the end Flintheart Glomgold and Magica de Spell show up to ruin your party and force you to lose them again. The remake goes much, much further than this, to the point that I would characterize it as a "mini-season" of the series. There's an honest-to-God story this time, which ranks up there with some of the best episodes of the show.

You begin the game as Scrooge McDuck, racing to the scene of an attempted break-in by the Beagle Boys at your Money Bin. Once you take care of the intruders, several things open up to you - a gallery where you can purchase unlockable content (ranging from character sketches to a sound test, complete with the 8-bit retro soundtrack), the legendary Vault - yes, you can go swimming in it, complete with "gold-spewing" animations - and your choice of levels from the computer, just like the original.

The best thing about the game is that it is filled with continuity nods and nostalgia galore. Everything from unused items in the prototype version of the original game, to nods to various episodes and character concepts, to little in-jokes based on the level design of its predecessor, is on full display here. Pogo jumping on enemies and racking up as much treasure as you can still feels as great as it did before. It's a game that was clearly made by fans of the series, and it shows in spades.

I could spend an hour rattling off all the ways I love this game. Running away from a giant boulder as Scrooge yells "Children and billionaires first!" at the top of his lungs. The lampshade hanging of why you can breathe on the moon. The way all of the supporting characters get much more screentime and characterization, and how their jokes fit so seamlessly with the lore (Glomgold and Scrooge's rivalry, anyone?). The way they still managed to capture the tight controls of the pogo stick from the original. Alan Young seamlessly jumping back into the Scrooge character, despite being 94(!) at the time of recording his lines. The extra Money Bin/Vesuvias levels. The New Game Plus mode. The "light muzak" version of the Moon theme that plays over the end credits. Mega-Dracula Duck trying to chomp you. Gizmoduck is a bro that kills anything in your path.

You get the idea.

I don't say this lightly. This is an incredible tribute to the series. I'd even go so far to say that this is one of the best Disney products ever made. We're taking "Legend of the Chaos God"/Castle of Illusion-tier quality, folks. It was made by people who poured their heart and soul into making it as good as it can be.

From a difficulty standpoint, this game isn't for children. Even on the Easy difficulty level, there are level portions and boss battles that are much more taxing than the original incarnations. The Amazon/Incan relic boss fight in particular has you using near split-second timing to avoid crushing walls that come in from all sides.

The quality of the port is also somewhat lacking. You can clearly tell that this port was a rush job to get it out to PC audiences - the command prompts at Scrooge's office have an "A" button prompt (you have to press Space to activate it by default), and I experienced slowdown at a couple points in Transylvania and the Money Bin.

I didn't experience the dreaded "end boss crash" others have reported. Rather, the game locked up when I was near the end of the Moon level, causing me to lose a half-hour of playtime. All things considering, a few technical glitches are a moot point.

Ducktales Remastered is an amazing achievement. It makes me wonder what Wayforward could do with other franchises. You can't tell me that a Talespin or Chip'n Dale: Rescue Rangers remake wouldn't be awesome. Hell, this game makes me excited to see what they could do with Ducktales 2, the more technically advanced NES sequel that made a lot of changes to the formula.

If you value your childhood and love this series, go out and get it now.

My review tl;dr - get it, even if it isn't in the bundle.

I'm hoping they add one of the Dead Rising games, RE4 HD and/or Lost Planet 2. Maybe DMC4 (original version) as a stretch.

It just hit me that the next Steam sale is only about a week away now...I'm going to try and exercise some control though, and at least hold back until the end of the year. >_> (Do Halloween sales tend to go as low as the winter and summer sales? I can't remember what the discounts were like last year.)

If Steam had a Halloween sale last year, I don't remember it at all.

Jawmuncher

I'm hoping they add one of the Dead Rising games, RE4 HD and/or Lost Planet 2. Maybe DMC4 (original version) as a stretch.

If Steam had a Halloween sale last year, I don't remember it at all.

Everything you want is a stretch aside from Dead Rising 2.

At best we're looking at Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 1, Bionic Commando, and Remember Me.
Not all of those but that's the most likely selection to me.

Bullshit. How is it not? Especially for an action-based game.
It's making the game objectively worse for no good reason.
He's not arguing that higher framerates are redundant for games, especially fast action games.
It's that there is little sense in "whining" for Zestrtia in particular since devs stated initial deving was with 30fps in mind, thus systems like physics, combat etc. can't just be unlocked easily.
It's the uninformed bashing on other forums and maybe (I don't read everything on Gaf) ala "lulz teh sucking devs making lazy pc ports, where's mah 144Hz!!!1!" that grinds his gears and to be frankly, I agree. At least for the idiotic and uninformed posts.
You said it yourself in one of your articles, devs ought to keep PC versions and "expectations" of that crowd in mind very early into production. Clearly this was not the case with Zestria. So sadly a lot of criticism devolves into PC-fanboy elitism.
This port does only support 30fps apparently. Apart from that aspect, other PC settings are surprisingly not horrible afaik, so one can realistically expect differences in future tales games. But this time, it's about sucking it up (like it's something horrible) and just look over it.

Of course it won't, it will either be RE4 or REmake
You serious? Both of those would be cool still.

Momentary

Banned
Bullshit. How is it not? Especially for an action-based game.
It's making the game objectively worse for no good reason.

Playing Zestiria at 29fps makes the game feel so sluggish to me. Combat is unresponsive and even rotating the camera around at such a low frame rate messes with my eyes. People complaining about a timing based action game feeling off because of 29 fps have every right to do so. I'm actually thinking about setting the timing window for move inputs to be more lenient just because of how bad it is in the game with the setting just being on normal.

29 fps is such a weird framerate to lock the game at. It's sad that they decided to do this in the development process. This game could have easily ran at 60-120fps on newer consoles and moderate rigs. Even if they didn't plan to port this in the beginning, it's still an odd move on their part to go with this during pre-production. At least Berseria seems to at least run at 60fps.

This game would have felt so much better to play if it wasn't for this. There's really no reason to defend such a novice game development mistake like this.

The main thing here is... why 29fps? And why does the LOD graphics option not work in this game?

With all this said. I enjoy the game and the porting team did a great job given what Bandai Namco dropped on their lap.

Durante

It's not 29. It's 30. Well, 29.9 or so which might as well be 30.
And they are asking full price (actually 10€ less) because it's a day-and-date release with the console version. All of that is perfectly OK.

He's not arguing that higher framerates are redundant for games, especially fast action games.
It's that there is little sense in "whining" for Zestrtia in particular since devs stated initial deving was with 30fps in mind, thus systems like physics, combat etc. can't just be unlocked easily.
But that doesn't mean that we should complain less.

I used to go easier on devs but apparently complaining loudly and continuously is the only way to drag some of them into the 21st century.

Dr Dogg

Anyone getting an odd framerate in Zestiria what frequencies does your display actually support and output at and what is it set at for your OS? Have you also tried disengaging Vysnc and then running the game borderless?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm expecting Dark Void, Age of Booty and Ecco The Dolphin

I wish the Dreamcast version of Ecco was on Steam, especially with an HD remaster. It's probably more likely that pigs will sprout wings than that ever happening though. :(

Annubis

It's not 29. It's 30. Well, 29.9 or so which might as well be 30.

But that doesn't mean that we should complain less.

I used to go easier on devs but apparently complaining loudly and continuously is the only way to drag some of them into the 21st century.

So you support all those ignorant bottom score reviews that people are leaving on Steam simply due to the framerate?

RE6 would work out perfect for me personally, but there are so many viable options.

Mega Man or DMC4 would be excellent, but they may be a bit too recent.

latest

Legacy is definitely too recent.
DMC4 you might have a shot at, but not DMC4SE.
My money is still on DR2+DR2OTR+Bionic Commando.
Lost Planet Extreme Condition (not Colonies or LP2, since those had GFWL).

As far as the why?

I'm not against 60fps in the game; hell, I'm all for it (to the point where I haven't played some games in my library because I'd rather experience them at 1080p60 if possible... and this has now lead to having read spoilers about one of them making me lose interest in it completely). If someone figures out how to unlock it and not break the game, great (as was done in KiD, for example).

But as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to criticize here since it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate; I believe what Rayge said earlier when he was tinkering with it -- QLOC did the port and they did the ports for DmC and RE6, so if it had been as simple as flipping a bit to allow the framerate to go higher, I believe they would've. For the most part, this thing seems to be pretty optimized and can pretty much run on a toaster, so it's not like they phoned in the port either.

TL;DR: There's nothing to criticize about the port not being 30fps when there's quite possibly nothing that can be done to unlock the framerate without breaking the game; especially since this has been known for quite some time.

So you support all those ignorant bottom score reviews that people are leaving on Steam simply due to the framerate?

Of course he does.

If that's the only way to get idiotic development practices eradicated, then yes.

Ha. If you think that this will get "idiotic development practices" eradicated, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

So long as consoles exist and continue to drive the video game industry, you'll continue to see games developed for consoles with the PC version as an afterthought in most cases.

Maniac

Banned
IDK, we became a small community after we have been moved in here, it's much harder to badmouth AssCreed, when there are at least 4 die hard fans of it in here. I decided just to let them have their fun and not comment on series at all.

I'm not entirely sure you intended to post this
lol

Hasn't stopped me from calling it trash at every turn.

But that's only because it is.

Just like Ubisoft.

The very first game they've had that's interested me in a while is For Honor, which is neat enough, but I really have my doubts in Ubisoft maintaining an online community and interest in the game while keeping up a decent content flow without monetising it in the most offensive ways possible.

MUnited83

For you.
If that's the only way to get idiotic development practices eradicated, then yes.

I mean, those ain't gonna do shit. The initial development team doesn't give a shit about those reviews, and the port team did a fantastic job working with the limitations with the original product. They can't make the game run at higher than 30 fps(without issues), and that's it. Complaining will accomplish basically nothing and is ultimately useless since the new game in the franchise is already confirmed to be 60fps.

Durante

But as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to criticize here since it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate;
That's entirely the wrong way to think about it. If it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate, then there should still be criticism. Not of the port, but of the original development process which lead to that outcome.

I mean, those ain't gonna do shit. The initial development team doesn't give a shit about those reviews, and the port team did a fantastic job working with the limitations with the original product. They can't make the game run at higher than 30 fps(without issues), and that's it. Complaining will accomplish basically nothing and is ultimately useless since the new game in the franchise is already confirmed to be 60fps.
I 'm not jaded enough to believe that, for Namco-Bandai as a whole, it would not make a difference at all if everyone acted perfectly happy about an FPS lock or if everyone complained.

That would be too sad.

Vuze

Steam just updated itself after I finished LiS Episode 5 (decent enough) and now my A/V blocked the boot strapper because of "suspicious activities". Never happened before, did Valve done goofed? Known issue? False positive?

E: nvm, false positive as expected

derExperte

I support them because they rile up the 30fps defense force who has out-loonied the 60-fps-or-death fools a while ago. Very amusing and if this leads to a few devs finally putting the work in and learning to code games correctly from the beginning so the ports can meet the quality standards PC gamers expect then everyone wins. Too bad the wrong people might get blamed once or twice but gobbling everything up will get us nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom