• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, I'm having a really hard time liking the Steam Controller. To the point that I played some Life Is Strange with it last night and just couldn't really get the right "feel" for controlling the game that way. I played around with the setup and changed the sensitivity/etc to try to make it tolerable, but in the end I simply disconnected it and plugged my Xbox One controller back into the PC.

The other few games I've used it for haven't required the right analog stick and those have been a lot easier to transition onto the new controller. I also played a game that just required a mouse and while I was excited that the game was playable at all, it certainly didn't feel like it had the same precision as a mouse and I almost got to the point where I would have honestly just rather used a mouse.

I'm not complaining too loudly, since I paid for the controller using card money. But I don't think I'm going to get nearly the use out of it as I thought I would. Disappointing, really.

MUnited83

For you.
That's entirely the wrong way to think about it. If it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate, then there should still be criticism. Not of the port, but of the original development process which lead to that outcome.

I 'm not jaded enough to believe that, for Namco-Bandai as a whole, it would not make a difference at all if everyone acted perfectly happy about an FPS lock or if everyone complained.

That would be too sad.

Tales of Berseria is 60fps and it was 60fps before a single review of Zestiria came out, so there's that.

And reviewing a port as bad when the issue was with the initial development makes no sense. Complaints should be directed at the source, not at the port team.

Turfster

Daily Super Meat Boy 80% off
Midweek
  • Hacknet 25% off
  • Worms franchise up to 90% off
Humble midweek
  • Build your own Humongous Entertainment Bundle

Momentary

Banned
Legacy is definitely too recent.
DMC4 you might have a shot at, but not DMC4SE.
My money is still on DR2+DR2OTR+Bionic Commando.
Lost Planet Extreme Condition (not Colonies or LP2, since those had GFWL).

As far as the why?

I'm not against 60fps in the game; hell, I'm all for it (to the point where I haven't played some games in my library because I'd rather experience them at 1080p60 if possible... and this has now lead to having read spoilers about one of them making me lose interest in it completely). If someone figures out how to unlock it and not break the game, great (as was done in KiD, for example).

But as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to criticize here since it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate; I believe what Rayge said earlier when he was tinkering with it -- QLOC did the port and they did the ports for DmC and RE6, so if it had been as simple as flipping a bit to allow the framerate to go higher, I believe they would've. For the most part, this thing seems to be pretty optimized and can pretty much run on a toaster, so it's not like they phoned in the port, either.

TL;DR: There's nothing to criticize about the port not being 30fps when there's quite possibly nothing that can be done to unlock the framerate without breaking the game; especially since this has been known for quite some time.

Yeah. The game is going to run at twice the speed if it is unlocked. It's not going to work. Setting the game to 15fps makes the game run at half speed. Everything is tied to game logic.

Like you said, if QLOC could have done it with the time they were given, they would have. They are one of the best in the porting business.

r3n4ud

Man, I'm having a really hard time liking the Steam Controller. To the point that I played some Life Is Strange with it last night and just couldn't really get the right "feel" for controlling the game that way. I played around with the setup and changed the sensitivity/etc to try to make it tolerable, but in the end I simply disconnected it and plugged my Xbox One controller back into the PC.

The other few games I've used it for haven't required the right analog stick and those have been a lot easier to transition onto the new controller. I also played a game that just required a mouse and while I was excited that the game was playable at all, it certainly didn't feel like it had the same precision as a mouse and I almost got to the point where I would have honestly just rather used a mouse.

I'm not complaining too loudly, since I paid for the controller using card money. But I don't think I'm going to get nearly the use out of it as I thought I would. Disappointing, really.
I hear ya man, but give it some time. It's still in beta afterall.

Kyougar

effing hell! My Antivirus deleted the tales.exe WHILE I WAS PLAYING. I set it to always ignore, but NOPE!

i whitelisted the whole Zesty folder now. I hope that solves this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I hear ya man, but give it some time. It's still in beta afterall.

Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing - that maybe there's hope yet to get the community on board to crowd-source all these great custom configurations that Valve keeps talking about. I'm definitely not getting rid of the Steam controller any time soon, but I don't think it will ever fully replace my "dedicated" controller that has dual analog sticks.

"Native support" in games would be great - but let's be honest here. PC ports are typically an afterthought for most big games, and thinking that most new games on Steam will ship with this unique control scheme in mind is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's not 29. It's 30. Well, 29.9 or so which might as well be 30.
And they are asking full price (actually 10€ less) because it's a day-and-date release with the console version. All of that is perfectly OK.

But that doesn't mean that we should complain less.
Sure it is fine to want more than 30fps but it's important to go from a case-by-case basis in games. I think you heard about Dark Souls PC port being a tad less than expected
;)
but from the information we got, it's different to Zestria or Toukiden with their 30 frame locks. Sometimes it's inexperience, sometimes non-priority and sometimes it's underlying mechanics not making it feasible - apparently - for pubs to redesign games to accommodate higher framerates. All the complaining in the world won't make them magically change their business calculations into feasible territory. What it does lead to is some cringeworthy messages all around though. As for "vocal complains" changing state of games in future, I am of opinion they heard the message very clear, even before Zestria.
I used to go easier on devs but apparently complaining loudly and continuously is the only way to drag some of them into the 21st century.
That is a fair opinion you can have subjectively but with how more and more prominent Japanese devs are getting into Steam/PC, I think they will adjust their standards sooner than later. Most of the locked-30 games are after-thoughts, so I am more inclined to accept technical "short-comings". So far I am seeing good progress and thus like to take a more non-loud complaining route. Personally I believe they heard enough of former and future games will be different. Maybe I will become less naive in the future.

That's entirely the wrong way to think about it. If it's not a trivial matter to unlock the framerate, then there should still be criticism. Not of the port, but of the original development process which lead to that outcome.

I 'm not jaded enough to believe that, for Namco-Bandai as a whole, it would not make a difference at all if everyone acted perfectly happy about an FPS lock or if everyone complained.

That would be too sad.

And that was my point in the first place with regards to people playing the PC port and criticizing the port for the limitation.

As far as making a difference, it's a lose-lose-lose situation for consumers in most cases.
Games come out at full price, have tons of features everyone wants, nobody supports them because "I'll wait for a sale".
Games come out and people bitch about it but still buy it and play it -- company looks at sales data and says "yeah, but it sold well enough and reviewed well enough, so what's the problem?"
Games come out and people decide to not purchase it because of whatever limitation/issue/etc. Company looks at the sales data, doesn't bother to investigate why (or try patching things to see if sales increase), decides interest in the game type/franchise has waned, it's not worth the investment to make another entry.

r3n4ud

Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing - that maybe there's hope yet to get the community on board to crowd-source all these great custom configurations that Valve keeps talking about. I'm definitely not getting rid of the Steam controller any time soon, but I don't think it will ever fully replace my "dedicated" controller that has dual analog sticks.

"Native support" in games would be great - but let's be honest here. PC ports are typically an afterthought for most big games, and thinking that most new games on Steam will ship with this unique control scheme in mind is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like you, I'm not replacing my X1 controller. Pretty much bought this for a dedicated Civ and Pillars controller lol

Thank god those two games are amazing with the controller.

jshackles

I love that Enchanted Steam says it's €0.00 on Desura.
I don't think they are the same games, are they?

It's the same game, but apparently the free Desura version has been abandoned while the Steam version is still receiving updates.

EDIT: I guess the Desura version was the original build the dev did as some kind of Indie Game Jam - basically a demo(?).

Monooboe

Disappointing, really.

My excitement has died quite a bit for the controller after all the impressions. Was going to order one as soon as I could but feel like I can wait. I still believe in the future of the controller though! Seeing as I game in front of the computer at the desk, I will probably manage with a Xbox One controller and M/K just fine. Think much of my want for Steam Controller came from simply being a Steam fanboy haha.

Dr Dogg

Right so here's my frametimes from Zestiria.
22148281228_650147ca74_o.png
So apart from a slight early blip that's over 3,000 frames with only .1% falling outside of 30fps (well at 33.4ms that's technically 29.9 recurring but whatevs). If you are getting something like 29.4 or suchlike might be a frequency detection issue (I get it with some games on a monitor that actually refreshes at 59.94hz) that can usually be solved by making sure Windows is set to 60hz or creating a custom res that's exactly the same out your native output but make sure the frequency is 60.00hz. Windows will do the syncing correctly when it comes to output.

I started out playing mouse centric games and took a while to adjust (well a couple of hours but I've got 20 years of day in day out graphics tablet usage under my belt) but when I started playing some controller games they all felt really off. What I did find was swaping the camera method on the right trackpad from Joystick Camera to Joystick Move and turn adaptive centering off, played about with the deadzone size and shape and then things started to feel a lot better.

Obviously I think it's going to be a wildly different experience from one person to the next and how long, if at all, they take to adjust but I do think some games just aren't going to be suited to it for some folks.

I support them because they rile up the 30fps defense force who has out-loonied the 60-fps-or-death fools a while ago. [..]
Come on, there is no such thing. There's logical thought and technical/financial reason why some ports are 30fps-locked.
There's a big difference in "defending" and "understanding" why there is a framerate-lock.
Grouping people into a "defense force" does not help in discussion but only separates even more and lays a hostile atmosphere.

Nabs

My excitement has died quite a bit for the controller after all the impressions. Was going to order one as soon as I could but feel like I can wait. I still believe in the future of the controller though! Seeing as I game in front of the computer at the desk, I will probably manage with a Xbox One controller and M/K just fine. Think much of my want for Steam Controller came from simply being a Steam fanboy haha.

Have you been keeping up with the controller thread? People are just now figuring out gyro control and they seem to love it.

Durante

Tales of Berseria is 60fps and it was 60fps before a single review of Zestiria came out, so there's that.

And reviewing a port as bad when the issue was with the initial development makes no sense. Complaints should be directed at the source, not at the port team.
People are reviewing the game, not the port. The game is the sum total of its development. I realize people on the internet are generally bad at subtlety, but there's a point to be made here.

Also, Berseria being 60 FPS is nice, great even, but if it's locked to 60 FPS that's hardly better in terms of development process. Developing an engine to run at X FPS -- for any value of X -- is simply the wring way to go about it.

Dr Dogg

Have you been keeping up with the controller thread? People are just now figuring out gyro control and they seem to love it.

Steam Controller + Gyro Aiming/Steering + Mode Switching so you have 2 or 3 times the inputs under your fingers has me debating if I'm going to use a regular controller again. Especially since I'm starting to get the hang of it as a direct controller replacement.

Lomax

So did anyone else get the "you must provide info to use the market" thing randomly today? I gave them that info like two years ago and when I click the "please click here" link it just takes me to the generic account page which doesn't seem to have a place for tax info. But it's apparently stopping me from doing any more listings (both in the client and in browsers).

p9fF5NZ.jpg

Jawmuncher

I'm not sure what's the point of including cosmetic DLC so late. :/

Having 100% it I have no desire to get the boss dlc anymore.

Yeah I don't get why they waited so long especially since we know it's been ready awhile. Think I might get the snake eater fatigues. Still need to play some more.

Yeah I don't get why they waited so long especially since we know it's been ready awhile. Think I might get the snake eater fatigues. Still need to play some more.

They must have a poor sense of timeliness when it comes to that type of content.

Come on, there is no such thing. There's logical thought and technical/financial reason why some ports are 30fps-locked.
There's a big difference in "defending" and "understanding" why there is a framerate-lock.
Grouping people into a "defense force" does not help in discussion but only separates even more and lays a hostile atmosphere.

Just because there's a reason for the framerate-lock — and it's something that can't be easily changed after release — doesn't mean it's safe from criticism. It's still fair to say that the game should've been developed from the get-go to allow for any framerate — it's unreasonable to ask for that to be fixed now, but it's reasonable to judge the game as is.

Momentary

Banned
People are reviewing the game, not the port. The game is the sum total of its development. I realize people on the internet are generally bad at subtlety, but there's a point to be made here.

Also, Berseria being 60 FPS is nice, great even, but if it's locked to 60 FPS that's hardly better in terms of development process. Developing an engine to run at X FPS -- for any value of X -- is simply the wring way to go about it.

I would love the game to have unlocked framerate, but I'm not holding my breadth. After experiencing game like RE6 and DmC at 120fps, it's so much easier on my eyes and it looks so fluid. Especially in games with quick movement and cameras that move around a lot.

Why do companies lock their frame rates? Is there a reason for it? Why not just lock the frame rate for weaker hardware instead of tying it to game logic? Is it harder for them to develop at unlocked frame rates?

Turfster

So did anyone else get the "you must provide info to use the market" thing randomly today? I gave them that info like two years ago and when I click the "please click here" link it just takes me to the generic account page which doesn't seem to have a place for tax info. But it's apparently stopping me from doing any more listings (both in the client and in browsers).
Same.
The stupid thing is that since I'm not in the US, this shit isn't even applicable to me

wilflare

Kotaku and RPS over GAF? Zkylon you monster!

Ha! Though I bet GAF already has a MrDogg too.

Solid is how'd I'd describe it. Nothing fancy going on, not exactly a wealth of graphical options, textures are what you see is what you get but performance is rock solid. Oddly for a game that has a framelimit it's a perfect even delivery of frames which even experienced PC devs sometimes can't produce when doing so.

My bad! I felt something was wrong when I typed the post ><

sounds like it's a pretty good port!

I would love the game to have unlocked framerate, but I'm not holding my breadth. After experiencing game like RE6 and DmC at 120fps, it's so much easier on my eyes and it looks so fluid. Especially in games with quick movement and cameras that move around a lot.

Why do companies lock their frame rates? Is there a reason for it? Why not just lock the frame rate for weaker hardware instead of tying it to game logic? Is it harder for them to develop at unlocked frame rates?

God, thinking of how fast you'd have to enter your inputs in an action game or whatever... I'm old, my dexterity has gone out the window... 1 frame links in SF4 would be 1/120th of a second. Yikes.

That aside, I'm guessing sometimes they lock the framerate for math purposes so as to reduce complexity of the math involved and get more consistent results.

Not sure what's going on but when I try to play games through family sharing it's telling me that my license for those games has expired.
I've randomly lost access to my brother's games before but this time my PC isn't appearing as deauthorized and even authorizing it again isn't fixing it.
Also, when it happened the other times trying to play the games would take me to their respective store page, not give me this message.

Help?

Momentary

Banned
God, thinking of how fast you'd have to enter your inputs in an action game or whatever... I'm old, my dexterity has gone out the window... 1 frame links in SF4 would be 1/120th of a second. Yikes.

That aside, I'm guessing sometimes they lock the framerate for math purposes so as to reduce complexity of the math involved and get more consistent results.

I'm sure they could solve that issue somehow. But then they would have to develop around 120fps. That isn't feasible since not many machines/consoles could do that and have the game actually look pleasing to the eyes.

Monooboe

Ah I have not, mostly just seen initial impressions of it on youtube and comments. Will have a look at the thread. Gyro controls and people loving it doesn't sound like something used in the same sentence often haha, but sounds good nonetheless!

1,5h gone in Undertale and I love it. I am a huge Earthbound fan so that's kinda given, but it really captures the whole charm and improves on the battle system in it's own way.

It's kinda hilarious too: I have spontaneously laughed like 15 times and I rarely laugh at video games!

Dr Dogg

Are people using gyro for FPS?

I've used it in Borderlands to for fine tune aiming, to steering in GTA V and my using mode shift used it for aiming and steering in Watch Dogs. It works better when replicating a mouse rather than a joystick as you just need to tilt the controller as opposed to yaw (there are settings to adjust the behaviour but it depends on how the game itself handles input). You can also map it to regular keys too so there's quite a lot of scope for doing some crazy things like shake your controller to take a screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom