• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

If you've played Lisa, do you think its a more faithful rendition of Earthbound?

I really want to play Undertale but Im really burnt out on rpgs right now. Sounds awesome though.

Lisa is nihilistic and negative as fuck. That is not what Mother is at all

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
New First-Person Shooter Will Lock Out Your Steam Account When You Die

It’s called One Life, naturally.

One Life recently joined the roster of hopefuls on Steam Greenlight, and it’s got a—I see what I really didn’t mean to do there; too bad it’s impossible to delete words on the internet—killer concept. Die once and you’re done. One Life, its developers told me, will lock out your Steam account as soon as you kick the bucket. The “play” button in your launcher will go gray, and you’ll only be able to stare somberly at the history of your character.

“One Life is the first multiplayer survival game with perma-permadeath. If you die, you will leave the game forever. Will you manage to survive in this harsh world full of dangers? Upgrade your battle truck and set off for hot spots with friends. Play with your own rules but remember: your every move can be the last one.”

(...)

Not too shabby, especially for a game that’ll theoretically function like a biker bar (from back before bikers went extinct and were replaced by hipsters who ironically love the vibe); people will walk in, get the beating of their lives, and never come back.

OK, that’s not necessarily true. First off, you’re not immediately dead-dead just because you bite the big one in combat. Players can choose if they want to spare you or finish you off, at which point things can get downright demented. “Forgive, humiliate, finish off, take everything he has—it’s your choice,” reads One Life’s Greenlight page. “Saved [the] life of some loser? Take them captive and make them work off. They will do everything to be free again. No other game will give you this feeling of power over other people.”

That’s uhhhhhh... sure! Alright then! Please stop smiling at me while licking your lips and sort of... are you purring? What even is that?

The game’s developers are, however, aware that players don’t love the idea of plunking down $10 only to lose their heads in ten seconds. They claim you’ll have a lot of control over where and how you start the game. Beyond that, they advise that you find friends and play conservatively.

One Life’s developers also told me that they won’t be able to stop people from creating entirely new Steam accounts to play again. However, they hope that players honor the game’s one-and-done deal, to keep it authentic. “Creating another account won’t be the easiest thing as the player will feel the loss of the character and the ability to play One Life again on the emotional level,” they said.

Still, One Life strikes me as something of a tall order, especially since unlike Upsilon Circuit—which has a similar “die once, die forever” thing going on—there’s no alternative means of playing after you kick the bucket, no afterlife of vengeful spectator ghostliness. Meanwhile, if you really want to account loophole your way back into the mortal realm, you still have to buy the game again. Are you interested in trying One Life, even if it ends up being $10 dumped into an endlessly swirling toilet?

Ruruja

Not sure why it says Mystery Game, it's Remember Me.

Oh I think it slipped on to a separate line in my message.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-88A8043DC971F4ED - Taken by Eanan

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I'm always up for some experimentation from the norm, but unless it's free or an absurdly cheap cost, something like this isn't going to really work very well. Just take a look at how hard The Flock bombed, despite being fairly hyped up before their announcement of planned End of Life.

But then again, I get the sense that these devs are pushing for a completely 'hardcore' angle, judging from the middle finger and urinating on victims sequences shown in the game's trailer. Sense tends to go completely out the window when your game is designed around that.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deadlings -- MB-58E8A1FD6E9ABDEB - Taken by crazyrabbits

louiedog

If there's something you can count on from an multiplayer game it's that no one will die because of a glitch and no players will be able to cheat and kill you thanks to an exploit, so it'll all be totally fair and your $10 won't be wasted.

Hektor

What did I do to deserve this.

As a big fan of Oldboy, i can feel your pain.

Borderlands e5 is here.

Good, i know what to play tomorrow.

i gotta admit, if i wouldnt have 100% already, i'd buy them all.

1,5h gone in Undertale and I love it. I am a huge Earthbound fan so that's kinda given, but it really captures the whole charm and improves on the battle system in it's own way.

It's kinda hilarious too: I have spontaneously laughed like 15 times and I rarely laugh at video games!

Good! :)

Humble Additions
  • Resident Evil 4

Goood that i held off of buying it so far.

Interesting concept. Ill get very sweaty and jittery already when im the last alive teammate in a CS:GO competitive match. Now imagine that with one lfie for a whoel game.Damn.

Dr Dogg

Has anyone tried out local coop in Zesty yet? Can you do controller and mouse & keyboard or do you have to use all controllers?

I have to admit I like needlessly complicated systems. I like them even more when they don't have a tutorial.

...I guess a binary executable is a really complicated system and it doesn't ship with a tutorial, so that might explain some things...

Ha! Well the systems themselves don't seem that complicated, they just seem like the similar ones in the last couple of Tales games I've played but needlessly complicated with tutorials that could be 5 words instead of 50. Plus it's a Tales game, you essentially just whack stuff and spam artes together until you've got a 100+ hit combo.

Does Bulletstorm still have GFWL?

Yup.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Has anyone tried out local coop in Zesty yet? Can you do controller and mouse & keyboard or do you have to use all controllers?

Controller & Mouse is a-okay, you can set up which each player uses on the options menu under controls (IE Player 1 = keyboard, Player 2 = controller, and so forth and on, it has a pretty good auto-detection to detect what's attached to your PC from what I can tell).

Ha! Well the systems themselves don't seem that complicated, they just seem like the similar ones in the last couple of Tales games I've played but needlessly complicated with tutorials that could be 5 words instead of 50. Plus it's a Tales game, you essentially just whack stuff and spam artes together until you've got a 100+ hit combo.

Yup.

I think you can do controller and M+K

edit: beaten

The addition of Remember is really tempting me on this bundle (I'm also interested in Lost Planet 3).

Problem is that I played Resident Evil 4 a while back at a friends and the controls felt weird to me so all those Resident Evil games are putting me off a bit...

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spirited, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-301BD0543F09C7C1 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 8 entrants total.

t1445366854z1.png

I already have this, Sorry leafhopper I bought some games I will never play.

Maniac

Banned
Why do want to so many tabs open?

I have over a hundred.
I found it underwhelming, I only liked it because of the nostalgia factor, but the movie seemed pretty mediocre from what they showed on the trailer.
don't kill me

Star Wars has been mediocre for the majority of it's life-span, this movie certainly seems more interesting than any of the trite Lucas has been involved with this past decade.

MUnited83

For you.
A game that actively kills its own userbase. Wow.

The concept itself isn't terrible, but it shouldnt be "one life only ever". A game built around that gave you a life each week (and server reset at the end of the week) would be a much better idea.

louiedog

I'm pretty sure if Kojima tried to do it people would say it's fucking stupid too.

Well a lot of people have said his idea to do that was genius, but those are the people who say that of anything he does.

Of course I bet his would be single player. I think that's probably a better idea than multiplayer when it comes to the permanent death being fair.

google it.

google it. there are workarounds if you don't want to deal with GFWL... outside of that, GFWL servers are still up, so you should be able to run it for now without modding GFWL out, in theory.

Cool, I will check it out after work. Just finished mad max and need something to tide me over until Fallout.

The addition of Remember is really tempting me on this bundle (I'm also interested in Lost Planet 3).

Problem is that I played Resident Evil 4 a while back at a friends and the controls felt weird to me so all those Resident Evil games are putting me off a bit...

All those? All 2 of them? :lol

Damn, we germans get the low violence version of Resi 4? Why cant i be treated as adult.

I think you answered your own question while asking...

C4rter

Two Humbles

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strider -- MB-76F94B816E38BA8D - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 7 entrants total.
Resident Evil 5 -- MB-7E7FDA9594575A7C - Taken by ExoSoul. 6 entrants total.

t1445367154z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom