• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Cammy would be way cooler if she wore some army fatigues.

I'll have you know that those are standard issue British Army fatigues!

You're right though, I'd love to see her in a proper British Army costume sometime. I loved her SF4 costume where she had the leather jacket and the Union Flag on the back.

derExperte

Anyone have a good recommendation for a gaming podcast? I only listen to Giant Bomb, Giant Beastcast and Idle Thumbs.

I rarely listen to podcasts anymore but these are the ones I am subbed to:

Crate and Crowbar
DLC
Gamers With Jobs
Player One
Polygon's Quality Control (not a fan of Polygon but this is alright and short)
Super Best Friendcast (not a fan but everyone else likes it?)
Three Moves Ahead (PC strategy)
[German] Insert Moin

Yeah that was the point where I lost all respect for him

Digging that stuff up again? Really?

I think the new video was insightful as to how Steam works. The new video isnt about Slaughtering Grounds, but that this dev releases shovelware shit games on Steam under dozens of different names (and somehow Valve doesnt care).

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'M DONE WITH YOU, OVK

Well, we've waiter 10 days for this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheh..._is_over_ama_discussion_with_almir_on/cwc3qaz

tl:dr version:
We hyperinflated our staff and need money. MTs are huge success, sheep are buying our sh!t, so we're keeping it.

Overkill, just bugger off or something. I just don't care anymore.

For anyone who still cares - stop bying anything from them. No DLCs, no drills, no skins, no future games. Downvote them if you want, though they clearly don't care.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
uhm that might be a problem, where can I find confirmation?
AFAIK you only needed the VPN when buying it, but I'm not sure

The only person who could confirm is someone outside Brazil who bought the game. There's an activation-restricted sub in the registry, but short of first-hand experience, it's impossible to tell what Nuuvem's keys are tied to (that the aforementioned sub exists doesn't necessarily mean it's actively being used).

Activating region-locked keys on Steam isn't going to get you into trouble, for what it's worth.

Eila

Jeez, I'm playing Contradiction and I found the biggest one yet. Ryan says he doesn't allow alcohol or drugs in Atlas grounds, while sipping some in my freaking face.
I had to alt + tab and post a rant about this.

Phinor

The only person who could confirm is someone outside Brazil who bought the game. There's an activation-restricted sub in the registry, but short of first-hand experience, it's impossible to tell what Nuuvem's keys are tied to (that the aforementioned sub exists doesn't necessarily mean it's actively being used).

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered Blood Bowl 2 from Nuuvem (using VPN) and it activated fine on Steam without VPN. But that was two months ago so things might have changed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For what it's worth, I pre-ordered Blood Bowl 2 from Nuuvem (using VPN) and it activated fine on Steam without VPN. But that was two months ago so things might have changed.

Yeah, the pre-order subs are all completely region-free (aside from Valve's default measures employed on the Steam Store itself, obviously).

Edit: It looks like the post-release edition of Blood Bowl 2 is supposed to contain this DLC app in addition to the game itself and none of the subs that include both are region-locked, so there's a good chance Nuuvem's keys are still region-free.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Some gaming videos are getting blocked in the United States due to YouTube Red

Great, even more copyright issues!

As you may know, I used to be a pretty active YouTuber (getting there again) and I've just received an email informing me that a few of my videos will no longer be viewable in the United States due to disputes over YouTube Red agreements with copyright owners.

The videos being blocked are specifically for the following games: Attack on Titan, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2, and BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma. All three games are notably developed and published by Japanese companies. These videos all had content ID matches for the music included in the games previously, meaning the publishers were making money off the ads served on the videos. I probably could have disputed these videos as fair use, but didn't bother because I knew they wouldn't garner many views.

So that brings us to what YouTube says in its notice:

"You may have heard that we recently announced YouTube Red - a new membership that offers fans more choice in how they watch their favorite videos with features like ad-free, background and offline viewing for a monthly fee. In order to deliver a great experience for fans who choose to pay for this offering, we are updating our contracts with all of our content partners. The new terms make it possible for us to share subscription revenues with creators, providing an additional revenue stream for them beyond ad-supported YouTube revenue. The overwhelming majority of videos on YouTube are accounted for in our agreements, but there are some partners who have asked for more time to think about their options. While we work with these partners to update their terms, we unfortunately can't make their claimed videos available in the US."

So, to simplify that, certain publishers haven't yet agreed to YouTube Red's terms and thus YouTube is preventing videos of their games from being played in the United States. And since all the details of the agreements aren't available to the public, it's difficult to place blame directly here.

Ludens

Banned
YouTube Red is hella dumb.

YoutubeRed is totally useless. I mean, why would I pay 10$ each month to see videos without ads (just use Adblock), videos offline (just use an extension and download the video on your PC)? At least offer something worth the price you are asking for. From free to 10$ each month providing exactly nothing new. I expect anyway exclusive videos for Red soon, or anyway less contents for regular Youtube.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
A7F15E26B00A8809A3D67715896198EF73F25A2F

four tricks left to complete tricktionary in OlliOlli2. So hard, feel like I'm only going to complete these by chance, lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow only 2 episodes into Tales of the Borderlands and it's easily living up to the hype. I'm very happy I got it during that "someone didn't look at the math" TT games bundle pricing deal.

MUnited83

For you.
YoutubeRed is totally useless. I mean, why would I pay 10$ each month to see videos without ads (just use Adblock), videos offline (just use an extension and download the video on your PC)? At least offer something worth the price you are asking for. From free to 10$ each month providing exactly nothing new. I expect anyway exclusive videos for Red soon, or anyway less contents for regular Youtube.
It also comes with a Google Play music subscription . And saying "just use Adblock" is dumb. Its the same thing as " Why pay for videogames? Just pirate them".
There are YouTube Red exclusive shows coming but afaik they are all funded by YouTube/Google and wouldn't exist otherwise.
YouTube Red is fine, just let companies adapt to it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmm, is there anything pointing to PC getting the PS4 "exclusive" DLC for Assassin's Creed Syndicate? If I am remembering correctly, the only time we haven't received their supposedly exclusive content was in AC Brotherhood, but the store pages for Syndicate are pretty vague.

It also comes with a Google Play music subscription . And saying "just use Adblock" is dumb. Its the same thing as " Why pay for videogames? Just pirate them".

I wouldn't say it's the same thing, and whether people agree with Adblock or not, I think Google should be offering something of value that goes beyond what people can solve themselves really easily.

Ludens

Banned
There are YouTube Red exclusive shows coming but afaik they are all funded by YouTube/Google and wouldn't exist otherwise.
YouTube Red is fine, just let companies adapt to it.

Adblock same thing of piracy? I won't even reply, just because you can actually turn off Adblock in any site you want (like I did for GAF since it's paid by ads) and it also has an option to grant safe ads turned on by default. The fact is, a lot of ads ARE invasive, they open windows without asking etc, so Adblock is a protection for your PC, more or less, blocking unwanted sites.

The fact is: Youtube is free, Red asks you 10$ each month providing ZERO value. It should actually provide usefull thing you can't obtain in other ways. I mean, why do I need to pay 10$ for a service also available for free when, if I pay 8€, I can use Netflix in example?

Do you want 10$? No problem, just make your service worth 10$. Put in TV serial, movies, PLUS no ads, offline option etc. But don't ask 10$ offering things already available, for free, from literally years, on any platform (pc, tablet, phone). This is just a lazy way to cash on.

dex3108

Hmm, is there anything pointing to PC getting the PS4 "exclusive" DLC for Assassin's Creed Syndicate? If I am remembering correctly, the only time we haven't received their supposedly exclusive content was in AC Brotherhood, but the store pages for Syndicate are pretty vague.

It will probably be on PC but they always keep that a "secret".

Grief.exe

Do you want 10$? No problem, just make your service worth 10$. Put in TV serial, movies, PLUS no ads, offline option etc. But don't ask 10$ offering things already available, for free, from literally years, on any platform (pc, tablet, phone). This is just a lazy way to cash on.

They are financing the top YouTube talent to create premium content, which is essentially what you are asking for them to do to show value.

If you are truly asking for TV series and movies, there are several services that already provide this to millions of customers, but more importantly, already entrenched with the networks and movie studios.

Vazduh

Smartphone users will appreciate those features (background music, offline download, gmusic subscription) more than PC users.

Tizoc

SF5 is shaping to be the best looking PS4 game I'll be playing. THe models and colors look soooooooooo good.

Jeez, I'm playing Contradiction and I found the biggest one yet. Ryan says he doesn't allow alcohol or drugs in Atlas grounds, while sipping some in my freaking face.
I had to alt + tab and post a rant about this.

Pretty sure you can call him out on that?

Annubis

Life is Strange is prob. the one S-E (published) game that hasn't gone for a steep discount since its release. The most it's gone for is like 10-20% off, and it didn't even get discounted over on PSN or XBL on the day it's final ep. got released.

It was 50% off at some point. MADMAX50OFF =)

Activating region-locked keys on Steam isn't going to get you into trouble, for what it's worth.

Well apparently on Blood Bowl 2 there's the paypal region check and the purchase doesn't complete, so whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom