• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
I never liked Jim and Jimquisition. I don't get what is point of the show. And don;t get me started with whole tag line "Thanks God for Me".

Some Jimquisition are ok, since they focus on things a person maybe passed on. Most of them are just the fast way to generate clicks. I don't watch other Jim Sterling video, anyway, so I don't know other formats he does.

Ah right, yeah that can be annoying. I don't think it's the first game to do it like that though, I wouldn't say it was a major negative point for me personally.

I can assure you Stranded gets very boring when you need to do back and forth between screens hoping something will happen (yeah, you NEED to do that in order to complete the game). As I wrote, this means artificially increase the lenght of your game.

Tizoc

Life is Strange is prob. the one S-E (published) game that hasn't gone for a steep discount since its release. The most it's gone for is like 10-20% off, and it didn't even get discounted over on PSN or XBL on the day it's final ep. got released.

He cant handle "gamers" in general according to his twitter history.
Makes you wonder why he even bothers trying to be a gamedev when he got such a disdain for his own audience.

While this might be true, you have to ask why anyone should have to put up with Twitter spam and emails telling him how shit his creation is. Especially if that feedback isn't coming from experiencing the game itself but rather from the second hand experience of a Youtube video. The internet has shown itself to be completely relentless when it comes to these things.

I feel for him. Jim Sterling's 'Greenlight Reviews' are always aimed at games he thinks he can shit on (with what I believe to be the hope for developer backlash) for easy views. Yes criticise the games, but it's hardly constructive criticism. It's often cheap and lazy. I thought Jim Sterling was better than this, but ever since he left Escapist something seems off. I don't know, maybe he's starting to believe that "Jim Fuckin' Sterling" tag.

I like Jim but I feel this is true too. Scouring Greenlight to find the crappiest scam submissions and then making videos to mock them is just going for the low hanging fruit. I guess it can act as meta commentary about how low/non existent Valve's standards are but I think it crossed that particular threshold a while ago. Now it's just stating the obvious to mock developers and unintentionally pointing a mob towards them. There's no value creation in doing this. It clashes with his other body of work where he does actually try to do the job of a games journalist although even that (fortunately or unfortunately) usually ends up with him just stating the obvious, common sense position on any current topic of discussion.

What's the verdict on Life Is Strange?

It's downright amazing. One of those extremely rare games where you end up actually caring and/or identifying with the characters in the story. And a testament to how a great soundtrack can elevate an experience far higher than you could otherwise imagine.

Life is Strange is prob. the one S-E (published) game that hasn't gone for a steep discount since its release. The most it's gone for is like 10-20% off, and it didn't even get discounted over on PSN or XBL on the day it's final ep. got released.
You aren't looking hard enough, I got it for 15 dollars very early, I'm sure it did drop lower on certain sites.

dex3108

Some Jimquisition are ok, since they focus on things a person maybe passed on. Most of them are just the fast way to generate clicks. I don't watch other Jim Sterling video, anyway, so I don't know other formats he does.

As far as i know he does Greenlight bad games and podcast. But i guess that is entertainment these days. He makes 11.5K every month from Patreon, pewdiepie makes serios mony, basically everybody who screams on videos or acts "stupid" makes serious money. More professional you are you make less money. And that is my biggest issue with Youtuers and twitch personalities.

For god sake guy streamed for 13 hours his PC assembly where he doesn't have any clue how to do it and made money to pay that PC.

Ludens

Banned
As far as i know he does Greenlight bad games and podcast. But i guess that is entertainment these days. He makes 11.5K every month from Patreon, pewdiepie makes serios mony, basically everybody who screams on videos or acts "stupid" makes serious money. More professional you are you make less money. And that is my biggest issue with Youtuers and twitch personalities.

For god sake guy streamed for 13 hours his PC assembly where he doesn't have any clue how to do it and made money to pay that PC.

11000$ each month? Wow. I need to start ranting in front of a camera :|

Ozium

What I don't get about Jim Sterling is the whole "Thank God for Jim Sterling" self righteous bullshit and the fascist imagery. It's kind of disgusting and in poor taste to be honest.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Ever wondered why so many Let's Plays (or other gaming related videos) feature a dude making an extremely silly face on the preview image? Because that's what people want to see.

dex3108

11000$ each month? Wow. I need to start ranting in front of a camera :|

Yeap 11.4K to be precise. And there are persons like Jesse Cox and Crendor who got around 3K for Cox and Crendor in the morning every month and then they changed it to per episode not per month few months ago (that slashed their earnings to 2.6K). But they promised 15 episodes per month when they created Patreon and they never, ever did 15 episodes per month. Last year they barely did 1 episode per month.

There is huge money involved in Patreon and Youtube/Twitch personalities but entertainment (reporting, news or whatever) quality is very low.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Let's Plays and all that stuff is my "Kids these days" thing (although obviously it's not just kids who are into them). I just don't get it. I really don't. I'm old. Get off my Youtube recommendations you stupid kids.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What I don't get about Jim Sterling is the whole "Thank God for Jim Sterling" self righteous bullshit and the fascist imagery. It's kind of disgusting and in poor taste to be honest.

Nope, not in poor taste at all. He just likes these colors together.

21RKPix.jpg

XBP

But we do thank God for Jim Sterling every single day. I'm not sure if I understand?

Got to sleep an hour for "free". Sweet.
I'm starting to feel bad for making fun of this guy building his computer on the Twitch stream.

He is consistently struggling with the most basic tasks.

Streaming is probably the best career path for him.
Dude is a faker, must be. Building a PC nowadays is almost like building Lego.
Watched a bit last night and guy asked what "O" and "I" on the PSU mean. I mean, come the fudge on! That is not even something PC-building niche stuff, it's basic knowledge.
His plan came up splendidly with thousands of views, so he's laughing to the bank.
I feel for him. Jim Sterling's 'Greenlight Reviews' are always aimed at games he thinks he can shit on (with what I believe to be the hope for developer backlash) for easy views. Yes criticise the games, but it's hardly constructive criticism. It's often cheap and lazy. I thought Jim Sterling was better than this, but ever since he left Escapist something seems off. I don't know, maybe he's starting to believe that "Jim Fuckin' Sterling" tag.
Was a bit funny at first couple videos but Jim got unbearable and forced-to-hate ever since. What an obnoxious knob.
Beastcast is the only one of those I still listen to (occasionally) as they have a tendency to be a bit on the long side for me (and padded with a lot of non-gaming talk).

Some I listen to:

Gamers With Jobs
DLC
Crate & Crowbar
Daft Souls
Three Moves Ahead (strategy gaming)
eXplorminate (4X and strategy - their website is well worth checking out for those into Civ-like stuff)
Bookmarked, very nice.

pahamrick

Why do you want us to shit on anime for? Who or what is stopping you from doing that in this thread?

I don't want anyone to shit on anime, think you misunderstood what I meant.

Anime is never safe

Also Jim has been really fucking bad lately. He deserves some criticism

Sure, not saying he doesn't but you get one person who makes an actual thoughtful post full of rational critiques and then it opens the flood gates full of non-insightful shit posts. Just seems to be a cycle, hence my "Flavor of the Month" comment.

Let's Plays and all that stuff is my "Kids these days" thing (although obviously it's not just kids who are into them). I just don't get it. I really don't. I'm old. Get off my Youtube recommendations you stupid kids.

Hey now. Let's Plays have some value for old geezers like us as well. Last night I watched a video to get some tips for a quest in Monster Hunter. Turned out the only guy who uploaded a video on it was even worse than I am at the game (and I usually consider myself on the low end of the skill spectrum for most games). He made comically bad mistakes and still ended up completing the quest. That in turn gave me confidence that if such a klutz could pull it off, I should be able to as well. The guy had 5000 subscribers to his channel too.

Monooboe

He cant handle "gamers" in general according to his twitter history.
Makes you wonder why he even bothers trying to be a gamedev when he got such a disdain for his own audience.

Though, maybe he just wants to make games. Sure one should have respect for ones audience but still make whatever one wants even if the audience doesn't like it.

Ludens

Banned
I played once for the achievement and never again. I get more from just letting my defenses take care of intruders.

I do one or two FOBs each day, I stopped playing for three days or so, a patch came out, now reflex lasts much much less, level 40+ FOBs are now impossible if you get caught.

Milamber

what is the point though? that he is a fascist?

He plays the part of a fascist. That's his schtick. He gives his own opinions. There are people clowning around in the internet, he just decides to go the whole hog with face paint and honking red nose.

Parsnip

I played the entire game without reflex mode.

I also didn't really touch the the FOB stuff at all. Couldn't care less about it in fact.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah. It's really dumb

You can turn it off if you want. But high level FOBs are just impossibile with reflex mode off. I challenge you on invading a level 40 FOB going undetected the whole time. I mean, it can happen, but it requires a lot of luck.

But I can't turn it off for people invading me. It's just creates an uneven plaiyng field to even have the option in FOB invasions.

That's stupid in fact, Konami told it was optional, but it isn't really. Anyway if you put up a 50+ security level section with non-lethal equipment, you should be able to defend all the times, even against cheaters, since your soldiers will stun and fulton them away. And you'll get reward for it too.

yuraya

I do one or two FOBs each day, I stopped playing for three days or so, a patch came out, now reflex lasts much much less, level 40+ FOBs are now impossible if you get caught.

I did 3/4 (lvl 30ish) platforms once and I was just barely able to do it. I had like 45 seconds remaining on the timer. That was after me taking a shortcut climbing up one of those tubes while the entire security was hunting me down trying to trap me on the last platform. It felt so good and so rewarding lol. Quite the adrenaline rush.

I can't imagine doing 4/4 with full security tho. Fuck that. Gonna need a grenade launcher + a lot of luck. Full stealth would be too hard because you'd run out of time.

You can turn it off if you want. But high level FOBs are just impossibile with reflex mode off. I challenge you on invading a level 40 FOB going undetected the whole time. I mean, it can happen, but it requires a lot of luck.

But I can't turn it off for people invading me. It's just creates an uneven plaiyng field to even have the option in FOB invasions.

Xanathus

There's an update coming which lets you research security upgrades that disable reflex mode for invaders among other stuff. On a related note I'm up to 875 MB coins now.

Preordered the Steam controller earlier in the week, with the thinking that I will be much more likely to play the 140 games in my library. Get Rocket League and Portal 2 (I'm one of the 0.00001% that still don't have it) free too which is great - Rocket League looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom