• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Finally woke up from my game torpor and put some good hours into Mad Max. So yeah for that ! The bad news is that the game seems to commit the cardinal sin of an open world : being bland with uninteresting writing.

So yes don't get me wrong, I never looked for some Shakespeare in my open worlds but some of them definitely have a nice story, nice characters, or whatever else one can call nice.
Here, I fear the only word is : boring. And it breaks my heart, I want to love the game.

But fuck if that will stop me, collecthatlon for life ! And it's not like it is bad or anything. I just would have liked a more fleshed out writing.

Dr Dogg

Please stop with the FXAA.

Edit: the article does not say anything, but a couple comments are sshoeing SMAA present as well.

Why? It's fast, it's cheap and it provides good coverage, even for some structures that SMAA will miss. Combine that with a higher resolution image and you've drastically increased your amount of sample points too. There's is no catch all AA solution (some come close mind) and the more options available the better.

I can't remember exactly where it's from, I think UE4's TAA paper maybe, but there was a great example how temporal solutions work and why a blur component, ie something like a gaussian filter instead of box, leads to a much more stable image. You can kind of get a dumb temporal AA solution by using crazy resolution combined with FXAA. I mean DSR's Smoothing factor is just a gaussian filter you apply to varying degrees to smooth out the image for non neat resolutions.

Edit: Found it!

UE4 - High Quality Temporal Supersampling

Box Filter
VEgEaZQ.gif

Gaussian Filter
CrNxTwh.gif

That's actually quite a good presentation actually and gives quite a bit of insight what goes into UE4's TAA.

Why? It's fast, it's cheap and it provides good coverage, even for some structures that SMAA will miss. Combine that with a higher resolution image and you've drastically increased your amount of sample points too. There's is no catch all AA solution (some come close mind) and the more options available the better.

I can't remember exactly where it's from, I think UE4's TAA paper maybe, but there was a great example how temporal solutions work and why a blur component, ie something like a gaussian filter instead of box, leads to a much more stable image. You can kind of get a dumb temporal AA solution by using crazy resolution combined with FXAA. I mean DSR's Smoothing factor is just a gaussian filter you apply to varying degrees to smooth out the image for non neat resolutions.

Edit: Found it!

UE4 - High Quality Temporal Supersampling

Box Filter
VEgEaZQ.gif

Gaussian Filter
CrNxTwh.gif

That's actually quite a good presentation actually and gives quite a bit of insight what goes into UE4's TAA.
Wow, it is just like you said, none is master of all trades. But in this case the "blurry" solution is so much more easier on the eyes.

Vuze

I'm looking to grab a 970 for Christmas. Any suggestions on what manufacturer to go for?
EVGA or MSI I'd say. I'm very happy with my MSI since launch, it's very quiet (fans don't turn on until a certain load/temp is reached) and runs cool.

Arthea

so far, I don't see that bellow two hours for retail games cards working, then again I wasn't monitoring time all the time, one card dropped around 1.9 hour mark I think, but it could have been two, need to do more testing, preferably with a game that drops cards really fast, now only to find which one does that.

edited: Doggie assaulting our eyes again, I see, we should think of punishment. Badmouthing AssCreed, perhaps?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
edit: ^^ lol beaten by lashman, but my post is waaaaaaay more sexy

Rocket League Update details:

21905726773_87b4a6f0f3_z.jpg

22513433742_4807dd92ca_z.jpg

22338983540_eac0e32e3b_n.jpg

Rocket League - Mix, Match, and Mutate! Trailer
Mix, match and mutate in Rocket League!

Pre-sets and custom settings inbound in new update
Longtime Psyonix fans already know that Rocket League‘s origins are firmly rooted in the modes and mods of Unreal Tournament and its beloved sequels, and we’ve never forgotten that; Which is why we’re celebrating our UT heritage by unleashing a new, 100% FREE, update this November that allows players to “Mutate” their matches with a multitude of cool presets and custom settings!

Want to play low-gravity “Moonball” with extra boost? It’s possible! Want to relive classic Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars game modes like “Cubic” and “Time Warp?” You can!

Whatever your preference, you’ll be able to find your favorite gameplay combinations in just a few short weeks from now when Mutators invade Rocket League! Once they arrive, you’ll be able to create new Custom Matches with the rules and settings made especially from your tastes, while our sweet “Mutator Mashup” playlist allows you to enjoy pre-determined weirdo matches in public games like you’ve never seen them before.
Source

Arthea

GOTY just got GOTYer.

somebody said GOTY?
only one day left

edited: just have seen derExperte's lazy post in 52 games thread, congratulations
although you could have written at least couple of words about all those games, but what I can't understand, how the hell did you finish Kairo in less than 3 hours. That's absolutely not possible.

also cheating with those episodes I see!

edit 2: congratulations to AHA-Lambda on 52 too, not including playtimes should be against rules... and it is!
just kidding

I got to get back into rocket league, tmrw night we shall be reunited as there will be no midterms separating us, I'll finally be free and we can run off and fly in the arena with our mad skillz.

L.O.R.D

free update ?
wow , this game is getting better and better...too bad my ping sucks and i can't play any online game because of it

If you want a more scientific explanation why one solution works better than another in a give situation rather than my ramblings, check out Durante's article.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757355
I remember that! Read it a year or so ago. Some aspects were hard to grasp but I think I got the gist. I still find myself googling "TXAA vs MFAA", "FXAA vs MSAA" though ( ._.)
Rocket League =
residentsleeper.png
Until I own Rocket League, it's overhyped trash to me
makes me feel better :'/

Grief.exe

I'm looking to grab a 970 for Christmas. Any suggestions on what manufacturer to go for?

EVGA has a great warranty I hear, and step up program for upgrades.

EVGA is the maker of most Nvidia cards I've bought except for the 8800GT. You know what was the one Nvidia card that failed me? , the 8800GT. So go with EVGA.

EVGA or MSI I'd say. I'm very happy with my MSI since launch, it's very quiet (fans don't turn on until a certain load/temp is reached) and runs cool.

I may be misremembering, but the EVGA 970 had a really poor and inefficient cooling system. The heat pipes weren't designed correctly to the point where one was merely cosmetic. The heat map for the EVGA 970 looked terrible next to the Asus and the MSI cards.

I don't know whether this has been fixed with subsequent versions, but something to look out for.

heatpipe.jpg

@Dogg

FXAA blurs the image far too much unless you are running high resolutions. Fine in motion, but screenshots look muddy.
I run 1440p and I'm probably getting to the point where my resolution cancels it out but it still bothers me.

pahamrick

I may be misremembering, but the EVGA 970 had a really poor and inefficient cooling system. The heat pipes weren't designed correctly to the point where one was merely cosmetic. The heat map for the EVGA 970 looked terrible next to the Asus and the MSI cards.

I don't know whether this has been fixed with subsequent versions, but something to look out for.

heatpipe.jpg

That has indeed been fixed with the more recent versions of the 970.
This is the setup on the 970 SSC edition.

Grief.exe

That has indeed been fixed with the more recent versions of the 970.
This is the setup on the 970 SSC edition.

Nice.

In my experience, you should skip the 970. Either step up your budget slightly for a 980/980ti or go AMD.
I run high-resolution and running up against the VRAM bottleneck can be frustrating and will continually cause issues moving forward.

I'm jumping on Pascal, but I might just wait for the second run of upgraded cards ie 1080ti.

pahamrick

Nice.

In my experience, you should skip the 970. Either step up your budget slightly for a 980/980ti or go AMD.
I run high-resolution and running up against the VRAM bottleneck can be frustrating and will continually cause issues moving forward.

I'm jumping on Pascal, but I might just wait for the second run of upgraded cards ie 1080ti.

I'm running a 970 and while I love the card, I agree with Grief. If you're just now hopping in, step up to a 980 at the minimum if at all possible. If I had been able to, I'd have done the same but the 970 was all I could swing after selling a bunch of stuff on eBay.

Can't bitch though, I did get 3(!) games free thanks to NewEgg.

Jawmuncher

Juri is surprising- 76955... I think she definitely has longer hair this time or some medium level cloth physics... that's slightly higher than Karin's number.

Looks like we're in for a Juri Redesign of some sort. I'm fully expecting hair to receive a radical change. The post itself is referring to the size of the remaining characters. You can check out the full post for the other characters.

I thought I owned Ultra Street Fight IV and it turns out I only own Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition. The library entry for Ultra doesn't help, it's not until you get to the title screen do you know which version you actually have.

You should know which version you have because it would be the last version you bought. ;)

The daily "let me remind you something of utter importance" post

Awful.

Didn't fall for your trap. I already know what this links to. Wrong again.

I'm still holding hope they could release (el shaddai)

After playing the demo, I can't understand why, especially with the mostly bad reviews as well. You have to be the only person I've seen that wants a rerelease of it on pc.

I lost a bet~
I'm just worried I don't offend anyone :X

Now if they can get Shadows of the Damned up on Steam, they'll have my eternal respect and gratitude.

I think your posts would do that before a silly avatar image would.;)

Shadows of the Damned is a more popular, better received game at least. I personally disliked it by the time I got my platinum, but maybe I'd like it again if I replayed it these many years later.

Personally, I'd rather see lollipop chainsaw since, like KiD, it's a suda51 game I wrote off after mmm y experience with SotD.

edit: ^^ lol beaten by lashman, but my post is waaaaaaay more *sexy annoying but informative

Rocket League Update details:

Source

Fixed.

chronomac

So maybe the R9 390 (8 GB) as an alternative? It's comparably priced and seems to outperform the 970 at higher resolutions (1080p seems about the same).

I might upgrade my HD 7950 this Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom