• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash3584

I think that GreenManGaming has had the best price for the game digitally, although it's anyone's guess as to whether or not you'll get your Steam key in time for a pre-load.

Not that I'd advocate doing this, but I've seen a few people mention that they're purchasing the Steam version of the game (at full price) with intent to use that to pre-load and to play the first part of the game @ less than 2 hours total. Then copying the local data somewhere else (or backing it up) then requesting a refund for the game. Once the refund goes through, they'll activate their Steam key provided elsewhere and continue playing without having to redownload anything.

But for me personally, that seems like a huge hassle. But for some the idea is tempting, especially those with slow internet connections.

Thanks to both!

I think I will my luck with funstock. Any experience with them?

They're all pretty straight forward games gameplay wise. I know what I like pretty early on and stick with it. I beat BloodBorne in 30 hours with all of the bosses beat. Only thing I can think of is that the way I play might not be typical to most here. Since before anyone tries to suggest otherwise I still enjoy the games. You don't see me calling them out for being too short or anything.

You said "it amazes you" that people play like that. I don't think it's very surprising that people play a game like Dark Souls differently.

I probably spent 10-15 hours just invading people!

It amazes me that it takes people longer than 30 hours to beat Souls games.

Uh. Really? In a game in which everything tries to kill you and nothing is your friend, it amazes you people take their time?

2nd Playthrough? Completely agree. First time through Blighttown took about 4-6 hours with countless deaths. Second time took about 30 minutes w/ 0 deaths.

I think my playthroughs of DS and DS2 were between 40 and 60 glorious hours.

I meant to say just the story stuff, I don't count the PVP towards that.

All part of the same game to me since it's seamless. When you just go straight through the game, sure that takes less time, but that's not what makes Dark Souls Dark Souls to me

Re-exploring areas, jolly co-operation, crushing fools in PvP - all part of a normal Souls playthrough

Jawmuncher

All part of the same game to me since it's seamless. When you just go straight through the game, sure that takes less time, but that's not what makes Dark Souls Dark Souls to me

I can understand that. I've never been much for invading myself.

Uh. Really? In a game in which everything tries to kill you and nothing is your friend, it amazes you people take their time?

2nd Playthrough? Completely agree. First time through Blighttown took about 4-6 hours with countless deaths. Second time took about 30 minutes w/ 0 deaths.

I think my playthroughs of DS and DS2 were between 40 and 60 glorious hours.

I think part of my reason is because of the way I play. I don't hold onto a ton of souls.
I usually check out a whole area grabbing everything, and then go through the area normally afterward.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Last Baron, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Insurgency -- MB-E5287AA31EB9B086 - Taken by UnaiGamer
New page, please take

MUnited83

For you.
I wouldn't trust Jawmuncher on what a average to beat a game should be :p. 50-60 hours for the first playthrough without using a guide seems pretty on point. Join that with the fact that many people like to engage on co-op/invasions while playing through it. After defeating O&S I still continued to be there for quite a while, helping people beat them.

Teeth

Hahaha you didn't say this at all. You made is sound like some voodoo conspiracy instead of actually explaining the mechanisms at hand and what's going on. I would hope my explanation might actual inform someone what this issue is and if they encounter such a game in the future can apply this knowledge and not be baffled by what is happening.

There are also cases where you don't want to use borderless fullscreen. You will never get full utilization of you GPU due to having to render the other windows open and your desktop which obviously incur a slight performance cost as well as 2-400ms of VRAM depending on you screen resolution and what you have open. This is also not a preferable solution to those who use multiple GPU setup as in my experience over the last 8 or so years will drop GPU scaling by about 10-20% depending on the game and usually introduce really uneven framepacing. In those situations a exclusive fullscreen solution would be preferable (like using D3DOverider or Adaptive Vsync).

You can call it what you want but there are plenty of people that are aware of games that don't natively support bordless fullscreen and the use of third party applications to take advantage of it. Dressing it up as something else, let alone not really explaining what's going on I feel doesn't really help people understand the issue.

I know this post is old as fuck, but I can't not respond:

I guess I should have made it more obvious when I said that "it was like the modern Contra code: It unlocks 30 (more) frames" that it was a joke.

I put a link to the PC Gaming Wiki that says what is happening. It's a trick that allows you to utilize borderless fullscreen in the game without any external tools.

I don't think anyone in here was confused at all by what was happening with the borderless fullscreen, they were baffled by why alt tabbing out of the game them holding Alt and Tab and clicking on the icon would enable the borderless fullscreen. That's not some standard Windows action.

But that's okay. I'm sure everyone learned something here. I am a little confused on something though, what does this mean:
"obviously incur a slight performance cost as well as 2-400ms of VRAM"

Like, latency? Megabits?

RS4-

CSa2QMFUsAAcqia.jpg

I expected Dota money to go to HL3, not this.

dex3108

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/128710596358664118

Greetings Batman: Arkham Fans!

The PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight is back up and available today! We are genuinely thankful to the Batman: Arkham fans, the Steam Batman: Arkham Community, and the PC Players who have patiently waited for this day. As a show of our appreciation to our fans in this process, we are pleased to announce three community focused programs to help us commemorate the re-launch of the game.

To kick things off, we will be giving away FREE digital copies of games from the Batman: Arkham library. This means we will be giving away copies of Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, Batman: Arkham City GOTY, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. The Batman: Arkham library of games will be given to everyone who has already purchased or will purchase Batman: Arkham Knight for PC prior to 11:59 pm PDT, November 16, 2015. We’re actively working with our partners at Valve to make this happen as soon as we can, so watch your Steam Library. We are aiming to deliver all of the games by December.

Seeing as our community was a great help in getting the game up and running, Rocksteady will be creating a new "Community Challenge Pack” that will be given free to owners of the Batman: Arkham Knight game in January 2016. As thanks to the Steam Community, PC players will have access to the maps for a week before they hit the consoles. Stay tuned for more details on this in the Batman: Arkham Community and Social Channels.

Finally, we are thrilled to announce that we are working with Valve and the Team Fortress 2 team for a special cross-game promotion. Through November 16, 2015, Valve will be running a contest for the Steam community to create Batman: Arkham themed cosmetic items for Team Fortress 2. The winning items will be given out to those who purchased Batman: Arkham Knight on Steam before the end of the contest. You can check out the official TF2 blog[www.teamfortress.com] for all the contest details!

To recap, if you own Batman: Arkham Knight for PC or purchase it before November 16, 2015, you will get:
Free digital copies of games from the Batman: Arkham library.
The "Community Challenge Pack” DLC.
The Batman: Arkham inspired Team Fortress 2 items created by the Batman: Arkham community.

Thanks again for your feedback and support.

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Batman games as compensation? Really WB?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Yesssss, new stuff for one of the best co-op games around is always welcome <3

EDIT: Looks like there's another, much larger update due next month:

Just so you know, we have been working on a very cool free update that is due next month! It will include the content that you have created and vote for through the GAMES2GETHER: a new organic spaceship, the Vultu mob, the Rosetta hero, and gamepad support amongst other things!

This must be breaking whatever rules you're playing by... it's not a screenshot of a post you made previously...

--

If I had paid money for my copy of AK, I'd be fuming at those thank you "bonuses".

(1) Most people who bought AK on PC probably already have most of the Arkham series on Steam. Unless they're giving us extra copies to gift to people, a large amount of owners will probably see no bonus at all here.
(2) Oooh, a challenge pack. I'm sure most of the owners of the game want just that, extra challenges; I've grabbed the DLC in the past when it was bundled with costumes or whatever, but getting a new "predator" or "combat" challenge map? That just doesn't seem worthwhile unless you're addicted to the game and think "hey, I've beaten my scores on these 8032910283 times, I wish I had a new map to try out."
(3) The Batman:AK TF2 items are a cool idea and probably the best compensation here... however, with the amount of people who got AK through the nvidia promo, the market is going to be FLOODED with the items once they're released, so they probably won't have much sale value and thus will be of little reward to anyone but the subset of people who bought Batman:AK and love playing TF2.

Oh how sweet of them, they took $10 off the purchase price of Arkham Knight and are giving folks bundle trash as compensation. Not to mention TF2 items and a WHOLE WEEK of exclusive access to the challenge thing that no ones going to bother playing.

So does this update add more improvements or is it just adding DLC and making it for sale again?

EDIT: STEAM | November 2015 - Post-Apocalypse Now

Chariot

Wait, we're not sure if nvidia key users are getting the repartion benefits? Bitterness reactivated. Cancel Download, cancel download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom