• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

56k was amazingly fast. When I got my first 56k connection I thought to myself "There's no way anyone would ever need faster internet than this."

gotta go fast

edit - also that surface book is sexy as hell but no way am I spending $1500 on a computer. budget tier 4 lyfe

Dr Dogg

If it makes you feel any better, I graduated from college way too young and entirely too naive about how the world works, with a degree that was largely useless (in that I've never once used it in my professional career). Despite my enthusiasm, nobody wanted to hire an 18 year old kid with an bachelors degree in astrophysics. I didn't want to go back for my masters or PhD although in hindsight sometimes I wish I would have.

Wound up in IT and doing programming since it was something I had done as a hobby from an early age and had done at odd jobs from age 15. And well... I'm still doing that all these years later.

Planned to be an architect and planned out my education accordingly (all 13 fucking years of it!) but bailed on my MA 1 year in as this was costing me my own money so decided to join the working world a little early and wound up as a 'Media Sale Executive' at the local regional rag selling display advertising. Eventually got an offer to move into production due to my background as so has been the last 14 years. Still would never have met half the whacky bunch I call my mates, would have met my missus, probably wouldn't have gotten on to the property ladder either so can't complain really.

I know this isn't really a thread for those questions, but I trust you guys more:

i7-4790K + B85 motherboard worth it?
Skylake seems to be a disappointment when compared to Devil's Canyon (also the K version of Skylake is $50 more expensive here and doesn't include a stock cooler, so that's another $20). I don't want to OC, but the frequency bump for K version of 4790 is nothing to scoff at.
(All that stuttering while streaming data in Witcha is getting on my nerves)

Personally I'd be looking at a 4690K & Gigabyte Z97 D3 combo and spend the extra you save on a better GPU, more RAM or a larger SSD. You know things that will make a much bigger difference than Hyperthreading which isn't really taken advantage of in any application unless you have a dual core CPU.

rtcn63

Just got in on that PS4 Taken King deal bundle from Amazon. $320ish after tax (I'm factoring in the $50 Amazon credit). I know the deals might be better during BF, but outside of an Old Hunters deal (which is very possible), it's a gamble.

PS4 + PC. Now I just need a Wii U. But I'm broke so fuck it.

chronomac

It's got the soundtrack too.
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gone Home -- MB-1846F25B486679B5 - Taken by Purkake4. 4 entrants total.

t1444157272z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Deponia -- MB-7E366C2EE071AF11 - Taken by Spirited
Chaos on Deponia -- MB-3F990E5A1D3352BF - Taken by Baron_Calamity

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 4 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

faviconuvuwz.png
(Telltale) Game of Thrones -- MB-0831C08B7A870D75 - Taken by Tchetil
faviconuvuwz.png
(Telltale) Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-0FFF8D88C6460D7D - Taken by ThirtyFour
faviconuvuwz.png
(Telltale) Tales from the Borderlands -- MB-E3925FF6137821F0 - Taken by Monooboe
Secret of the Magic Crystals Complete -- MB-21753C141B3862BF - Taken by C4rter
faviconuvuwz.png
(Telltale) Puzzle Agent -- MB-F4BE6B9144AD0064

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for Strata failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

Dr Dogg

I'm almost 46 and I was calling up Compuserve, Prodigy, and dial up BBSes in 1982/83. I ran a multiline BBS in the late 80s before dialing up the internet was a thing and when it was, I was on usenet. I setup my first web page in March of 92 using the VI text editor. I remember having to call up Yahoo to get my web page manually listed. I still remember the dark day when AOLers were give access to usenet. Chatrooms were for kids.

Baron_Calamity is secretly Matthew Broderick from War Games!

Knurek

Personally I'd be looking at a 4690K & Gigabyte Z97 D3 combo and spend the extra you save on a better GPU, more RAM or a larger SSD. You know things that will make a much bigger difference than Hyperthreading which isn't really taken advantage of in any application unless you have a dual core CPU.

The thing is, 4690K is clocked at 3.5 GHz before turbo, 4790K is 4.0 GHz.
I don't plan to buy a new GPU, still haven't paid completely for my 970, I do plan on expanding to 16 GB, but can do so in increments (8 GB now, 8 GB in a month or so, before DDR3 dries out). Happy with my HDD space as well.
This is purely a question of (spare) CPU power. I know in most games the difference between i5 and i7 in max FPS is 2-3, but I haven't seen yet tests that focus on minimal FPS difference.

FloatOn

reading the sega thread on gaming side and I can't help but get excited.

I do not care much for sonic (though racing transformed and generations was fun). but there is just so many quality games sega can port that I never played.

GaussTek

The Surface Book surely looks good, but $1,899.00 for the 256GB / i5 / 8GB / Nvidia GPU version, that is surely crazy.

However, considering that you can detach/rotate the keyboard and have a full tablet PC with those specs... man, I'm still so tempted lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

wilflare

:O
can't believe what just happened

Steam sent an email saying my following card
Portal (Foil)
iO Foil Trading Card
was sold
- and I got $30.64 for it :O :O

Monooboe

Hey SteamGAF, long time no see. I wasnt an overly active user but SteamGAF was always a home for me. So where have Ive been

Well I think we have to start with Assassins Creed Unity, I preordered the Uplay collectors edition and my hype was immense, I just couldnt wait for it. The day came when I got it and we all know just how the release of it was and then that I didnt really have a computer to really play it fully. I could take the bugs and all but what just crushed me was how damned badly designed it was and how it for every iteration went further and further away from what I loved about AC, mainly those damned strict linear mission design (if you want full synch). I was so damned disappointed with the game that it took all joy I had with games with it.

Around the same time I got the opportunity to actually spend some time in Paris for real and for a someone who comes from the northern parts of Scandinavia the contrast and shock was life changing. I had so much fun and real life for once was so damned exciting that I actually got mad at games, for being in my whole life, taking up time that Ive could have spent doing something real, something exciting. So when I got back home I decided to sell everything, I sold my PS4, WiiU, 3DS, all my PC parts and even my TV. My plans for the future were grand.

During this time I was doing my thesis work on my Bachelors Degree and that took most of my time till summer. After graduation I started to wonder where to go but no real job anywhere and a part time job in the same city I studied meant that I had to stay a little longer. So I am again stuck in a small northern town in Finland and my life just unraveled in all the worst ways. Most of my friends I studied with have left the town.

So I said fuck it and ordered a new PC (going into debt) but it just is something I had to do to even survive this. Ive lined up some games that I really do want to play and will. Im playing Pillars of Eternity on my Macbook while I wait for all the PC parts to arrive and Im loving it. I do realize that games and an exciting life can co-exist. This time its actually inspiring to play a game. Though I am forever turned off by AC and probably Ubisoft games. Will of course try Unity with the new computer

So why really did I write all this here? Well as I said SteamGAF was kind of like a home for me in that internet kind of way. Even if none of you either remember me or know me and thats ok but this is still the first place I check in the morning and regularly throughout the day.

As a thank you for all you SteamGAFers, here are some gifts!

All keys should work but if they don't then I'm sorry.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Monooboe:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Monooboe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 (Origin) -- MB-C5DE80958E32A744 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.
Saint's Row 2 & 3, Risen 2, Sacred 2 Collection -- MB-51F8EB5D2A560059 - Taken by Mikurden. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-74D140E8444DC1A7 - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Shank 2 -- MB-B7F05854824D937F - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Final Fantasy XIV (non-steam) -- MB-1E316D91375128A8 - Taken by GaussTek. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Populous (Origin) -- MB-55E1D242139E07E4
Burnout Paradise -- MB-71F1364F275B5138 - Taken by Spirited. 2 entrants total.
Trine 2 Complete Edition -- MB-76F5CEBA2D72EE5E - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -- MB-2F267AA1BEC70EFF - Taken by PunishedSnake. 11 entrants total.
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-E57F66E63751356F - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.

t1444170412z1.png

Tizoc

reading the sega thread on gaming side and I can't help but get excited.

I do not care much for sonic (though racing transformed and generations was fun). but there is just so many quality games sega can port that I never played.

Sonic Colors has a fantastic soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2KhTYb9VA&index=7&list=PLB723FA23FFF047FF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEzvc4OTkIo&index=13&list=PLB723FA23FFF047FF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHWmbbC7q4&index=17&list=PLB723FA23FFF047FF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEGro4NpgCg&index=27&list=PLB723FA23FFF047FF

Jawmuncher

Hey SteamGAF, long time no see. I wasn’t an overly active user but SteamGAF was always a home for me. So where have I’ve been…

Well I think we have to start with Assassin’s Creed Unity, I preordered the Uplay collectors edition and my hype was immense, I just couldn’t wait for it. The day came when I got it and we all know just how the release of it was and then that I didn’t really have a computer to really play it fully. I could take the bugs and all but what just crushed me was how damned badly designed it was and how it for every iteration went further and further away from what I loved about AC, mainly those damned strict linear mission design (if you want full synch). I was so damned disappointed with the game that it took all joy I had with games with it.

Around the same time I got the opportunity to actually spend some time in Paris for real and for a someone who comes from the northern parts of Scandinavia the contrast and shock was life changing. I had so much fun and real life for once was so damned exciting that I actually got mad at games, for being in my whole life, taking up time that I’ve could have spent doing something real, something exciting. So when I got back home I decided to sell everything, I sold my PS4, WiiU, 3DS, all my PC parts and even my TV. My plans for the future were grand.

During this time I was doing my thesis work on my Bachelors Degree and that took most of my time till summer. After graduation I started to wonder where to go but no real job anywhere and a part time job in the same city I studied meant that I had to stay a little longer. So I am again stuck in a small northern town in Finland and my life just unraveled in all the worst ways. Most of my friends I studied with have left the town.

So I said fuck it and ordered a new PC (going into debt) but it just is something I had to do to even survive this. I’ve lined up some games that I really do want to play and will. I’m playing Pillars of Eternity on my Macbook while I wait for all the PC parts to arrive and I’m loving it. I do realize that games and an exciting life can co-exist. This time it’s actually inspiring to play a game. Though I am forever turned off by AC and probably Ubisoft games. Will of course try Unity with the new computer…

So why really did I write all this here? Well as I said SteamGAF was kind of like a home for me in that internet kind of way. Even if none of you either remember me or know me and that’s ok but this is still the first place I check in the morning and regularly throughout the day.

Glad you were able to stop by for a bit, I remember!

Kiru

Hey SteamGAF, long time no see. I wasn’t an overly active user but SteamGAF was always a home for me. So where have I’ve been…

Well I think we have to start with Assassin’s Creed Unity, I preordered the Uplay collectors edition and my hype was immense, I just couldn’t wait for it. The day came when I got it and we all know just how the release of it was and then that I didn’t really have a computer to really play it fully. I could take the bugs and all but what just crushed me was how damned badly designed it was and how it for every iteration went further and further away from what I loved about AC, mainly those damned strict linear mission design (if you want full synch). I was so damned disappointed with the game that it took all joy I had with games with it.

Around the same time I got the opportunity to actually spend some time in Paris for real and for a someone who comes from the northern parts of Scandinavia the contrast and shock was life changing. I had so much fun and real life for once was so damned exciting that I actually got mad at games, for being in my whole life, taking up time that I’ve could have spent doing something real, something exciting. So when I got back home I decided to sell everything, I sold my PS4, WiiU, 3DS, all my PC parts and even my TV. My plans for the future were grand.

So I said fuck it and ordered a new PC (going into debt) but it just is something I had to do to even survive this. I’ve lined up some games that I really do want to play and will. I’m playing Pillars of Eternity on my Macbook while I wait for all the PC parts to arrive and I’m loving it. I do realize that games and an exciting life can co-exist. This time it’s actually inspiring to play a game. Though I am forever turned off by AC and probably Ubisoft games. Will of course try Unity with the new computer…

So why really did I write all this here? Well as I said SteamGAF was kind of like a home for me in that internet kind of way. Even if none of you either remember me or know me and that’s ok but this is still the first place I check in the morning and regularly throughout the day.

I remember you! :3

In 1996 I won a regional science competition by incorporating the scientific method to evaluate, rank, and prove the usefulness of internet search engines such as Magellan, Infoseek, Yahoo, Lycos, and Altavista. The prize included a full four year scholarship, although I turned it down to attend a more prestigious university where I was also awarded a full scholarship through academics. I was 14.

Yes, I've always been a nerd. And yes, I had a Geocities "page".
If it makes you feel any better, I graduated from college way too young and entirely too naive about how the world works, with a degree that was largely useless (in that I've never once used it in my professional career). Despite my enthusiasm, nobody wanted to hire an 18 year old kid with an bachelors degree in astrophysics. I didn't want to go back for my masters or PhD although in hindsight sometimes I wish I would have.

Wound up in IT and doing programming since it was something I had done as a hobby from an early age and had done at odd jobs from age 15. And well... I'm still doing that all these years later.
Yo, damn! That is a mighty impressive CV you got there buddy. Astrophysics? Man, I love to learn new stuff about that topic. You totally should not give up on your - even - higher education there. Whether soon or in some years. You're gonna be badass baller grandpa one day.

Congrats on your successful graduation. I do remember you!
Whatever happens, I hope you'll find a fulfilling job in a city where you feel "alive" like in Paris. That part was very inspirational.
And while we're on the subject of Sega games coming to PC - where is Yakuza?
Listen to the Astrophysicist SEGA!

Monooboe

Hey thanks Jawmuncher, Se7enSword, Kiru, freshVeggie!:D

I have to say, being away from gaming in all forms during Summer Sale was a relief, just letting it go by and save money.:D So weird how something that was so fun before now didn't have any effect. Little scared of Winter Sale.

Sini

"Recently played with" list has been broken for at least year, but now in recent weeks they broke it so much further that it doesn't show anything at all now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom