• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Been trying to tell people that for years. Sonic is about speed more than strict platforming, which is a huge turnoff for people and they call it bad. Others didn't like it when it went to 3D, which is a valid complaint as well.

Also what Nine said. Freedom Planet is a joy.

:torqueduck:

inm8num2

brad muir's leaving double fine

sad to hear, never felt his games were quite as rounded up as i'd like them to be but he was a lovable guy and we won't be seeing that much from him in any place that isn't as exposed as double fine is

Good luck to Brad - he's a good dude.

FloatOn

And with that, I've finished all my goals for Spelunky. Beat Olmec, had a Ironman run, unlocked all shortcuts, tried out all items.
The achievement of getting the shortcuts and beating Olmec are seriously on par with the sensation of beating O&S for the first time. Adrenaline-rush.

Can't say I finished the game as it can go as long as you'd want it to but as far as it goes for me, I finished it.
Will play probably from time to time but I'll be on the lookout for other stuff. Rogue Legacy looks similar enough for a smooth transition but still unique on itself.

I loved reading your progress on this game. It makes me want to dive back in.

And yeah, rogue legacy is quite good but much easier due to the unlocks.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).

Braveland -- MB-02BFA4462369B2B4 - Taken by KenOD
Deponia -- MB-E9CA05B4BFE40640 - Taken by shockdude
Gone Home -- MB-D2F801CA370BCB0E - Taken by Spring-Loaded

It's a Sonic game. What else would you have heard?

Most of the people who like it have sonic avatars. That's a pretty good indication it's not good.

I've heard mixed impressions about the Wii U ver., if it's not a bore like the 3DS game then here's nothing to worry about IMO.

Well i guess i will wait for now , $30 may be a little too much atm

The best Sonic game is already on Steam so get Freedom Planet.

i did, got all the achievements too :v

Jazz573

This is supposed to be a good one.

The funny thing is, about three months back SP said it would come this Summer. Anyways, I'll be waiting for the 18+ version. Don't know if it will be able to be patched into the Steam version, but I don't think it's likely.

Freedom Planet is an amazing game but the story mode is pretty much a bad Sonicverse fan-fiction with voice acting. Classic is much more enjoyable.

Tizoc

Freedom Planet is an amazing game but the story mode is pretty much a bad Sonicverse fan-fiction with voice acting. Classic is much more enjoyable.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh that's going a bit too far with the story, it's a really simple one: Evil Alien overlord/tyrant absorbs energy from worlds that results in planet's destruction. Heroes must band together to stop his plot.
It has some good voice acting with the main villain's being the best IMO.

Jawmuncher

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh that's going a bit too far with the story, it's a really simple one: Evil Alien overlord/tyrant absorbs energy from worlds that results in planet's destruction. Heroes must band together to stop his plot.

When I played it, the VA was good. But for being simple it seemed like they talked a lot.
Like more than they need to for what is going on.

It just annoyed me and it felt something from the Penders era Archie comics, specially since they talked SO MUCH.

I just didn't find it fun I guess.

I was more put off by the tone of Freedom Planet's story.

Major spoilers:
That torture scene was just...yikes. Also it definitely felt like originally one of the main characters was to be killed off. That would have been way too dark, especially considering the villain gets away at the end.

Excellent game though.

Major spoilers:
That torture scene was just...yikes. Also it definitely felt like originally one of the main characters was to be killed off. That would have been way too dark, especially considering the villain gets away at the end.

Excellent game though.
Yeah that scene was pretty dark.
Mila was probably supposed to die at one point too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Major spoilers:

Excellent game though.

I kinda just shrugged it off and people watching my stream were horrified I think my perceptions of some things have been warped by constantly downing horror related media.

Yeah that scene was pretty dark.
Mila was probably supposed to die at one point too.

Yeah I honestly thought
I had killed them for a bit.

Catshade

That evil Humble Bundle...putting the third game in a series as the base bundle, while the first and second game is in the BTA bundle. *grumbles*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Crap KS from the beginning, and the game was cancelled earlier this year and then uncancelled and has limped along with a few updates since. Agree with Jason's advice; backing KSes that only give employees part-time money, and/or backing someone's first game seem like pretty bad ideas.

Edit: I should mention that's it's not on my KS spreadsheet because my cutoff for tracking is 75k, in part because I need to do a cutoff somewhere just to make updating my spreadsheet manageable (I'm currently tracking ~250 games) and in part because 75k feels about at the point where you start transitioning from being beer money for randoms to being salary money for professionals. It's not quite there, but it's pretty close.

Like... backing a $5k Kickstarter... what level of purchase do you think that buys you of a dev's time? At minimum wage, $5k is full-time for 4 months, half-time for 8 months. Actually it's a little less because of KS fees. No one is doing much more than barely surviving in a cheap or rural area on minimum wage, so you can basically assume that that $5k is not going to excuse the dev from real-life responsibilities like their real job or school.

Tried Rogue Legacy for a very small time. Had a few runs, so I could get a little taste of the heritage system. Pretty funny and cool to choose. I die so quickly though.

One thing that stuck out to me were some glitches in movement. Feels a bit less polished than Spelunky.

Wish there was an option to toggle between Xbox and PlayStation button prompts. Xbox ones look so damn tacky. Such an eyesore.

Edit: I should mention that's it's not on my KS spreadsheet because my cutoff for tracking is 75k, in part because I need to do a cutoff somewhere just to make updating my spreadsheet manageable (I'm currently tracking ~250 games) and in part because 75k feels about at the point where you start transitioning from being beer money for randoms to being salary money for professionals. It's not quite there, but it's pretty close.

They must have heard of you. That's why they chose 73K.

Sch1sm

Tried Rogue Legacy for a very small time. Had a few runs, so I could get a little taste of the heritage system. Pretty funny and cool to choose. I die so quickly though.

One thing that stuck out to me were some glitches in movement. Feels a bit less polished than Spelunky.

Wish there was an option to toggle between Xbox and PlayStation button prompts. Xbox ones look so damn tacky. Such an eyesore.

This was my experience with it, pretty much. I'm probably just really bad at the game, but it sort of put me off at that time because I wasn't huge on the whole die frequently and never start the same thing at the time.

Maybe I should try again, I still have it installed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They must have heard of you. That's why they chose 73K.

Joke's on them. I only report KSes at 75k+ but the program I use to generate a digest of KS updates cuts off at 72k so I can mentally keep track of stuff just below the cutoff. I've been watching them like a hawk.

I wanted to give my opinion about android assault cactus but i just cant describe it correctly so i will just use this:

android assault cactus = Amazing

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fans Keep Working On Cancelled Strategy Game

Last year, Double-Fine pulled the plug on their game Spacebase DF-9. Which was a shame, because the game they were building—The Sims vs Theme Hospital in space—was shaping up to be pretty good! Never fear: fans have stepped in and continued work on the game in Double-Fine’s absence.

The “Derelict Games restoration team” have released their first fan-made update to the cancelled project, and it looks...well, like something Double-Fine would have done if they’d kept working on Spacebase. In addition to bug fixes, there are new objects for the station, new events, new jobs for your spacefolk and even the ability to form defenders into squads and order them around together, something sorely missing from the original release.

Lomax

Crap KS from the beginning, and the game was cancelled earlier this year and then uncancelled and has limped along with a few updates since. Agree with Jason's advice; backing KSes that only give employees part-time money, and/or backing someone's first game seem like pretty bad ideas.

Like... backing a $5k Kickstarter... what level of purchase do you think that buys you of a dev's time? At minimum wage, $5k is full-time for 4 months, half-time for 8 months. Actually it's a little less because of KS fees. No one is doing much more than barely surviving in a cheap or rural area on minimum wage, so you can basically assume that that $5k is not going to excuse the dev from real-life responsibilities like their real job or school.

I actually think backing a $5k kickstarter is better than a $100k one, at least then you know it's just a passion project and doesn't have delusions of grandeur. Both of the small dollar kickstarters I backed turned out well (Paper Sorcerer and Crayon Chronicles) but I only put a couple of dollars into each that I didn't mind tossing them just to support the idea. Totally agree that this one should have set off red flags everywhere though.

On a related note, every kickstarter should take lessons from the guys at Lab Zero, they have exactly the type of transparency and detail every crowd funding campaign should have.

XBP

Posting this again so that more people can enter and get a chance to win.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys and 6 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (XBP, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
Bejeweled (Origin) -- MB-99EA63677B35A324 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-EC5456B2F9ED371F - Taken by Belgarion. 4 entrants total.
Contraption Maker (Spotkin) -- MB-3AB3E89FF76F6728 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Uplay) -- MB-B2AD6B0A7C7FF954 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent 2 (Telltale Store) -- MB-B258CEE29EE59E71
Tales from the Borderlands (Telltale Store) -- MB-1929A095C5C1010A - Taken by fertygo. 3 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent (Telltale Store) -- MB-5584366A9E233B76
Poker Night 2 -- MB-6293626C9B328FF6 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 7 entrants total.
Dungeon Hearts -- MB-48A9AE1D7E4A02A6 - Taken by GaussTek. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
The Sims 3 (Origin) -- MB-4A32F29ACCDD2DEC - Taken by crazyrabbits. 5 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's EndWar (Uplay) -- MB-A9F547EDDDAB8CC1 - Taken by pahamrick. 3 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-88E7434F646AEEC7 - Taken by eyeless. 5 entrants total.
Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series (Telltale Store) -- MB-4FADA04CCC01E798 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-A3779D8EF625B333 - Taken by aw350. 1 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (Uplay) -- MB-9167C47C9282F1EF - Taken by gabbo. 5 entrants total.
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Uplay) -- MB-4AE905A0304C8361 - Taken by bobnowhere. 4 entrants total.

t1444204670z1.png

Instructions for redeeming Sims 3 key:

Plus whoever wins this sims 3 key, please PM me after you've won it, I have a few DLC for the game which you can redeem on origin as well.

Alright, so my doomsaying was premature; the new Master of Orion might not be so bad after all.

NMOO will have both turn-based combat and ship designing, it just won't be the sole focus of the game. The dude that started off this whole thing has clarified his words:
Huzzah!

Dsyndrome

Hopefully Van Helsing Final Cut isn't a buggy piece of shit tomorrow, going to try to get my brothers to play it once we get through Diablo 3 again and Reaper of Souls.

Also kind of disappointed that Dropsy still isn't fixed so I can play it. My Clicker Heroes fix stopped working recently and now I've got nothing.

Lingitiz

Make a batch file (a text file called something.bat) with just that on one line in it, then link that as your "application"

Thanks, it worked. I made a .bat then used a converter to make it an .exe so Steam would recognize it.

I'm basically treating my Xbox One as a part of my PC using the streaming feature and it's worked remarkably well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom