• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Nintendo killed GAF for some time huh. Anyways the Switch is such a dumb name. Everything else they showed was pretty good tho. Very smart of them to pick up Skyrim too. Its one of those games that is good to just get lost in and play for like 300 hrs. The Switch will probably be a bit lite on software the first year or so. That Skyrim will be a must have lol.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
On a system that best case has a 5-10 battery life lol.

If the Switch (or NS as some people are calling it) Pro Controller is like the Wii U Pro Controller, that will last 80 hours while playing on the television and the main system is plugged in for constant charge.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Okay, ONE last question about Hollow Bliss image stuff, you guys have been helpful.

The Storefront image apparently needs the logo (I had heard differently), so had to incorporate it but a small space. The problem also is in the fact the image is seen in a few different sizes, so debating. If you guys like neither and have a better idea, I am also all ears as is (or for critique). But curious to hear your guy's take, this is the image people will mostly see on the storefront.

A:
d4e00762000d37aceaf0d8b08b0661b9.png

B:
5a1a7f44de5fd35cec4313aed76fa686.png

Mikurden

Ya'll motherfuckers tripping ovet yourselves to make Nintendo Switch threads but none of you have the intuition to see the best feature:

The return of the split controller.
Okay, so what is the historical precedent for this and what advantages did it offer?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Okay, ONE last question about Hollow Bliss image stuff, you guys have been helpful.

B:

That grabs my attention quicker. Which is what you want if someone is just going down the list of games on the store front or list

Okay, so what is the historical precedent for this and what advantages did it offer?

Personally I just found split controls more comfortable, and I've entertained the idea of being able to pair a wireless controller like the left or right side of the Switch to my PC so that I could use an analogue stick and shoulder buttons while still using my mouse to aim. Hopefully Switch uses Bluetooth for some hacks in the future.

For an actual advantage worth anything, a split controller like Wii's Nunchuck and Remote or several PC game pads, it's helpful for certain people with physical disabilities that cause them to not be able to hold their hands so close together. Which yes is a very small portion of the overall gaming market, but it's nice when more people have the ability to play games without modded controllers such as what Ben Heck does.

rtcn63

I gave Outlast another shot, realizing that I never quite gave it a fair shake. I originally stopped at the first "valve" section, which as it turns out, repeats a few times throughout the game and is arguably the worst aspect. But the game overall is paced decently, the hide and seek (and general trial and error) schtick does get old, but you do feel compelled to tread forward. I would play in hour long chunks or so, except for the final stretch.

Recommended. It's probably one of the few (if not the only) first-person/non-combat horror games I've actually finished. I didn't pay any attention to the story though.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HowardRoark, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-8B0B5F65E1EC4836 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.

t1477011582z1.png

Good luck!

The Storefront image apparently needs the logo (I had heard differently), so had to incorporate it but a small space. The problem also is in the fact the image is seen in a few different sizes, so debating. If you guys like neither and have a better idea, I am also all ears as is (or for critique). But curious to hear your guy's take, this is the image people will mostly see on the storefront.

A:

B:
This time I'd go with the attention-grabbing red, B. Makes you do a double take and go, "what is that?!"

ExoSoul

Banned

A:

B:

While the red in B certainly draws more attention from wandering eyes I gotta be honest and say that I dislike the model design and would dismiss it if I didn't already know about the game.

A may be more subtle but it's the one I find the most appealing.

Vibranium

Banned
Nintendo killed GAF for some time huh. Anyways the Switch is such a dumb name. Everything else they showed was pretty good tho. Very smart of them to pick up Skyrim too. Its one of those games that is good to just get lost in and play for like 300 hrs. The Switch will probably be a bit lite on software the first year or so. That Skyrim will be a must have lol.

Switch is a neat name, I like it. Very Nintendo. It's better than the Wii U at least, you have to admit. And that reminds me, Ubisoft has one of the worst names in PC gaming with "Uplay". That client needs a rebranding...bad.

mp1990

Banned
It better be better than the WiiU screen. Fuck. If not, imma be pissed.
Yesterday I was playing Severed on the Wii U, and it really bummed me out how bad that screen is. The game looks gorgeous, but the screen resolution is SO low it didn't matter, really (and the game is heavily dependent on the screen, so it's hard to play it while looking to the TV). Here's to hoping it'll look at least on par with the vita.

pull...what part out? The silver thingy on the headphone jack ripped out when I tripped on my cord, headphones lived. Did that push something in? I-I dunno to what extent that killed it >_>

Maybe get a USB to 3.5mm adapter? I don't know how you would go about fixing something like that.

Eila

It better be better than the WiiU screen. Fuck. If not, imma be pissed.

No way it won't. Them going for resistive touchscreen for the main screen when it was rapidly going in disuse was a mistake. That, coupled with it being 480p and streamed killed the image quality for most games.

pull...what part out? The silver thingy on the headphone jack ripped out when I tripped on my cord, headphones lived. Did that push something in? I-I dunno to what extent that killed it >_>

The top headphone jack(?) looks like it is filled in with something, with the one below it "normal." The third one just looks like some nondescript jack. (NinjaEdit: Ok that new picture is a lot clearer.)

Like, I was in the same mindset as stump.

what it looks like on the inside. The metal thing that came out bent a little too, what would I be pulling out?

And it has a port in the back so I'll just plug my headphones and speakers into there and alternate them, but figured I might as well ask :x

Actually that seems pretty simple, just power down the PC, and disconnect the power cable, remove the side panel, then remove the front facing part of the PC, and look for a little pin that's stuck in the front and use needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Soulflarz

Banned
phanteks enthoo pro so I need to grab a larger screwdriver to do that (you can unscrew the front part after pulling the front panel off) easily, will do that over winter break I guess. Unless you...don't mean I need to pull the front panel out.

Thanks guys, so I'm not screwed?

phanteks enthoo pro so I need to grab a larger screwdriver to do that (you can unscrew the front part after pulling the front panel off) easily, will do that over winter break I guess. Unless you...don't mean I need to pull the front panel out.

Thanks guys, so I'm not screwed?

I was just making a needle nose pliers joke, I don't think what I actually said will work so I wouldn't actually try it lol, I think you might be screwed, unless someone can suggest a way to fix it, but a USB to 3.5mm adapter will give you a new headset jack to use if you really need one.

I have a similar issue with my work computers. A couple of them have jammed jacks and I'm not sure what's in there, but it looks to be metal. IT is taking forever and they might not even be able to do "hardware" stuff like that, and I'm not about to take the computers apart myself since they're not mine. I tried tweezers but they were too big to fit in the jack.

Ah well.

What are you going on about? Did you read the post I replied to? I was simply stating when the PC version of GTA V was announced, nothing besides that. Got it?

Well, yes. By going to the previous posts, I conclude that by not announcing PC version right now, it means that there won't be a PC version until they announce the remaster version down the road later, which is for PS5 and XB2. PC version will have to wait until the current gen ends.

GTAV = PS3 + XB360 no PC, then later PS4 + XB1 + PC
RDR2 = PS4 + XB1 no PC, then later PS5 + XB2 + PC

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HowardRoark, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-8B0B5F65E1EC4836 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.

t1477011582z1.png

Repost

shockdude

Beat Midnight Club II.
Hands down one of the best arcade racers I've ever played. There's no other game like it to this day. I'll have to make a post about it later.
whatiplayed_mc23hyvi.png

Racing games lie on a spectrum with "Simulation" on one end and "Arcade" on the other. Forza lies near the "Simulation" end, while Burnout Paradise lies near the "Arcade" end.
Rockstar San Diego's Midnight Club II is way, way past the "arcade" end of the spectrum. There is no other racer like it on Steam; if there is, I want to know.

Driving Fast Cars with Zero Realism
Arcade racers like to bend the laws of physics, but generally the cars will still feel like cars.
In Midnight Club II, the cars feel like F-Zero machines on wheels. Every car has really high acceleration and absurdly good handling. Taking tight corners at 180MPH is not a problem - and there are a lot of tight corners.
And yes, the cars are fast. The sense of speed is incredible.

Excellent Track Variety
Midnight Club pioneered the point-to-point style of racing. No artificial walls, only checkpoints placed within an open-world city.
This style of racing allows for an enormous amount of creativity. With no walls and an open world, there are often multiple ways to get from A to B. Some of the races involve driving on rooftops, inside buildings, and even through the sewers.

True Arcade Challenge
This game is hard. The AI is merciless; they rubber-band like crazy, but you will always beat them if you practice the route and drive perfectly. In the later races, this is easier said than done.

Destructible Everything
Many arcade racers have destructible props for fun. Light poles, small trees, traffic cones etc.
Midnight Club II has the most destructible props I've ever seen in a racer, and each of them have their own sound effects and particles. Fruit stands, mopeds, windows, mailboxes, pedestrians, and more.
Yes, you can run over pedestrians in this game. I don't know how Rockstar Games managed to have this feature and still keep a T rating, but hey.

Traffic Actually Exists
In most arcade racers, you race on city streets, but where are the cars? Usually there are fewer than 5 cars on the road at a time.
In Midnight Club II, cars are everywhere. Some races are so dense with traffic that huge pileups are inevitable, especially with 10 street racers on the road.
Fortunately, hitting a car isn't a race-ender; you can push around most cars without losing too much speed.

It Runs Really Well on PC
The store page says it doesn't work on Windows Vista or Windows 7; that's a lie. It worked perfectly on Windows 7 last I checked, and it currently works perfectly on Windows 10 for me.
It's not an XInput game, so menu button mappings are kinda weird, but mapping triggers to "Analog acceleration/brake" works perfectly. And keyboard handling is apparently not bad.
The game runs at a solid locked 60FPS. It's a shame the framerate isn't unlocked, but very few arcade racers are >60FPS for some reason, and at least it's not 30.

Midnight Club II is Awesome
Imo you should buy and play Midnight Club II.

Speaking of which...
ok this is ridiculous.

Gonna have to do a giveaway in the near future. I hope you all like arcade racers and shmups.
Shmups seem to be doing quite well these days, but arcade racers are dead, so have some Midnight Club.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (shockdude, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Midnight Club II -- MB-EB477621C382F210 - Taken by laserlaser. 26 entrants total.
Midnight Club II #3 -- MB-F690A92A5DEF2E59 - Taken by chronomac. 31 entrants total.
Midnight Club II #2 -- MB-B599C43E231500C2 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 32 entrants total.

t1477103448z1.png

yuraya

Arkham Knight is like the perfect example where a certain feature really hurts a perfect 10 out of 10 game. And as a result makes it like an 8 out of 10. This batmobile stuff is crazy. Rocksteady had way too much time on their hands. Some of this stuff is extremely tedious and not necessary. Just did the
cloudburst fight
not too long ago and man talk about a low point in a great game. They should have scrapped most of it.

Hopefully they learned from all the criticisms. On their next project they need to double down on the things that make the game great and not on the shit that no one asked for.

Bluth54

Just an FYI the Team Fortress 2 team sent out an email to server owners a little bit ago saying the TF2 Halloween event starts tomorrow (it was going to be tonight but got delayed).

That grabs my attention quicker. Which is what you want if someone is just going down the list of games on the store front or list

Personally I just found split controls more comfortable, and I've entertained the idea of being able to pair a wireless controller like the left or right side of the Switch to my PC so that I could use an analogue stick and shoulder buttons while still using my mouse to aim. Hopefully Switch uses Bluetooth for some hacks in the future.

For an actual advantage worth anything, a split controller like Wii's Nunchuck and Remote or several PC game pads, it's helpful for certain people with physical disabilities that cause them to not be able to hold their hands so close together. Which yes is a very small portion of the overall gaming market, but it's nice when more people have the ability to play games without modded controllers such as what Ben Heck does.

Its just natural to have your hands separated, I hope the Switch succeeds so we can get quality PC split controllers made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom