• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Midnight Club II was most definitely free on May 28th 2012.
I actually installed it because of that post. Gonna check it out for a bit and see if I like it. I believed the message in the store page that said that it didn't work on modern OSes so I never even tried.

Annubis

Groupees Be Mine 28
bm28-2.png

I have no idea what any of these doodles are

madjoki

Midnight Club II was most definitely free on May 28th 2012.
I actually installed it because of that post. Gonna check it out for a bit and see if I like it. I believed the message in the store page that said that it didn't work on modern OSes so I never even tried.

I don't think it was free on May 28th, but was added for those. All you had to do was join Rockstars Steam Group by Date x to get it free (iirc).

Good old times before social media & gleam ruined everything. :p

Eila

I don't think it was free on May 28th, but was added for those. All you had to do was join Rockstars Steam Group by Date x to get it free (iirc).

Good old times before social media & gleam ruined everything. :p

The golden age of free steam games, good game bundles and good steam sales are sadly past us :( no wonder the thread moves so slow these days.
Xbox 360 controller didn't work at all on midnight city, gonna try the steam controller. I feel it could be pretty ace for it.

shockdude

I still don't get why Rockstar never removed that "not compatible with Windows Vista & Windows 7" message. Apparently the non-Steam version of MC2 wasn't compatible, but the Steam version is totally fine.

oipic

Civilization 6 is live in the US of A.

First impressions from elsewhere seem to be largely very positive, which is great! Some UI scaling issues for 1440p folks, but otherwise most are reporting that it runs well. Balance seems to be not too bad, particularly in the context of release versions of previous iterations (although I'm not too sure how many will have made it to the late game yet).

Enjoy, guys - those of you that have work tomorrow, be sure to impose some of turn limit on yourselves, lest you not sleep.

So, about that Skyrim Special Edition. As I understand it, I'll get SE for free if I complete my Skyrim DLCs now. But what if I refund the DLCs after I got my SE copy on the 28th? Will it be removed as well?

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move, but I bought vanilla Skyrim for the same price as the now unavailable Ultimate Edition. And there's no way to complete my Skyrim DLCs as low as the Ultimate Edition's cheapest price nowadays.

A new visual novel publisher called YumeHaven has entered the ring. First title they'll be publishing is Shuffle (All Ages version, based on the PS2-version with additional routes), releasing in November.

Edit: YumeHaven is a VN brand from Active Gaming Media (Playism).

A new visual novel publisher called YumeHaven has entered the ring. First title they'll be publishing is Shuffle (All Ages version, based on the PS2-version with additional routes), releasing in November.

Edit: YumeHaven is a VN brand from Active Gaming Media (Playism).
SHUFFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was the 3rd anime I ever watched, it wasnt the greatest thing but heard the visual novel was better so time to find out.

madjoki

Ok help me a bit

The digital deluxe for CIV 6 bundle includes Steam controller for $30

Is that a mistake? am I reading that correctly?

They didn't change bundle's preorder package to release package and thus it now includes only controller. You won't get the game.

I will forever respect the Shuffle anime because of its ending (
Asa-senpai winning
)
well between a psychopathic childhood friend, a girl with multiple personalities with one being crazy and evil, A girl who is the daughter of the devil, and a stoic clone with not alot of emotions and at best little sister material....I feel Asa was pretty much the best choice in any situation

oipic

I managed to actually be off of civ VI at 12:15... this is very much a win for me :p

Your willpower is admirable! Well played.

I do fear for the well-being and sleep patterns of the likes of LurkerPrime and Uzzy, among the Civ VI-led strategy gaming extravaganza of the past week or so. Updates and expansions galore on top of the Civ release, tough times for family life, work/life balance etc.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You guys... Civ is so good. I have to sleep, but I cannot wait to get back into it later on tomorrow. The Civic stuff seems so good and there are actual considerations when making your cities?? SO GOOD

Deques

sakura nova is out

it's supposed to be bigger (more cgs and longer story) than other sakura titles so i guess that's why it's priced at $15 instead of the standard 10

Some day I will buy all the Sakura game

Btw, has anyone checked if the Steam Card glitch still works?

edit

Even with the release of the latest Civilization game Civ V is still one of the top most played games
AFwBnfR.png

Eila

So I was just playing Midnight Club and suddenly lost control in the middle of the race. Turns out steam just shut down for whatever reason, and I guess that kills the steam controller. Pretty annoying. When I booted it again it updated so I guess that's why it shut down? I don't recall this happening before but eh.
Game is really fun and the with steam controller it's finally showing it's value. I really enjoy the community configuration.

Deques

So I was just playing Midnight Club and suddenly lost control in the middle of the race. Turns out steam just shut down for whatever reason, and I guess that kills the steam controller. Pretty annoying. When I booted it again it updated so I guess that's why it shut down? I don't recall this happening before but eh.
Game is really fun and the with steam controller it's finally showing it's value. I really enjoy the community configuration.

Are you using an older system than Win 7/Vista?

I didn't know Civ VI was unlocking today, I just got off my shift and have another in ten hours, definitely need to limit the number of turns I play tonight.

Monooboe

Turns out that the place I ordered Civ 6 from sent it out too late so won't get it today. I think I am just going to lie down and watch the clock until monday... if I even manage to get then.

I know I know, never order retail for day one, but I got it for free with store points!:D

How are people liking Civ6?

Durante

The Degica WE sale has, among other gems, Crimzon Clover at €2.

Everyone who has ever had even the slightest passing interest in shmups should pick that up at this point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quantum Break's combat is fun, but when using a mouse there's little point in switching to a weapon other than your pistol (thus far, anyway).

First blush impressions, 60 turns in, things have changed enough from V to VI that all of my calcified habits/playstyles from Civ V no longer seem valid, which is great. Civ VI is a lot more denser than Civ V from the first few turns. You're making more choices early on. And it's not just things like the civic systems, it's where you choose to place your cities, it affects what technology bonus boosts you get, what wonders you can build. Your actions have an impact on technology boosts as well. Actively fighting barbarians provides boosts to military tech. They got rid of happiness, I don't see it anywhere in the UI, that's fucking awesome. Housing seems to be the new constraint. Just playing a game on settler to figure out how everything works now, only starting to encounter districts. It's weird not having to micro-manage workers but I think I like the Builder system more, unit expires after 3 uses.

The game seems to run well, even on medium settings, but the real test will be a large game with the map fully revealed. So far it runs better than Civ V or Beyond Earth.

Wok

There is a demo for Orwell, in fact the first episode of the game. The demo might get removed after a while.

uk5hrHE.png

The demo is about 30 min long, and very easy, but still gets you to think about monitoring citizens and the difficulty of being an Orwellian security agent. Interesting stuff overall.

So, about that Skyrim Special Edition. As I understand it, I'll get SE for free if I complete my Skyrim DLCs now. But what if I refund the DLCs after I got my SE copy on the 28th? Will it be removed as well?

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move, but I bought vanilla Skyrim for the same price as the now unavailable Ultimate Edition. And there's no way to complete my Skyrim DLCs as low as the Ultimate Edition's cheapest price nowadays.

I bought the LE for a friend from cdkeys for about $10 a few days ago. You could consider that. While doing this I found out that the free upgrade offer only exists for people who own all Skyrim content before the 28th of October. It won't apply after that date.

Also, not Steam related but Battlefield 1 is easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Every single map is absolutely gorgeous and it's a step above BF3 and BF4. There's a map in this game which is thematically similar to Seine Crossing from BF3 but the amount of detail is so much more it makes Seine look unfinished in comparison. Also, it runs perfect on a midrange 4670k/970 at max settings. DICE really are technical wizards. But the biggest surprise of all is that the game isn't completely broken at launch, which has been true for every Battlefield game I've ever played.

Super tempted to get Civ 6 as well because it's unlikely to go down in price for many months but I know I won't have any time to play all the games I want to get. Screw the damn publishers for releasing everything in this time frame really.

dex3108

Nintendo was Apple, before Apple was Apple.

And, I would buy a Switch. Seems neat.

It looks ok I guess but to me it is not small enough to be true portable. Also in the era of PS4Pro and Scorpio I really can't see too many 3rd party devs pushimg for Switch. That would mean that they need to develop games for 7 platforms (PS4+Pro mode, X1+Scorpio mode, Switch portable and docked mode and tons of PC configurations). No matter how it is easy to port games on Switch if money is not there devs won't bother.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It looks ok I guess but to me it is not small enough to be true portable. Also in the era of PS4Pro and Scorpio I really can't see too many 3rd party devs pushimg for Switch. That would mean that they need to develop games for 7 platforms (PS4+Pro mode, X1+Scorpio mode, Switch portable and docked mode and tons of PC configurations). No matter how it is easy to port games on Switch if money is not there devs won't bother.

How does that look any different than the past like 15 years or so, of Nintendo operations? Devs are going to develop small titles, not full on ports of third party stuff.

dex3108

How does that look any different than the past like 15 years or so, of Nintendo operations? Devs are going to develop small titles, not full on ports of third party stuff.

How many big devs/publishers these days work on smaller titles? You think that EA published game like that Fe will be that important title for Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom