• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher 3 continues to grow on me. What a well-made video game. The voice acting and writing is so on point that I actually care about the outcome of the quests. I was upset for several hours last night because I fucked up and made the wrong choice in that Fyke Isle magic lamp quest. Reading the character entry for Anabelle afterward made me realize the magnitude of my fuckup (spoiler:
she spreads the plague across the entire kingdom and eventually causes its downfall
). The signs were all there yet I still got played like a fool! Man I was pissed.

At least I got to bang Keira Metz afterward. I'm pretty sure that's the first sex scene I've ever seen in a video game. It certainly was... something.

rtcn63

On a serious note- the thing about the battery is, the only people who I could see using the Switch as a portable are those with lengthy commutes, attend college, or travel frequently. Three hours may be too short or cutting it close in that respect. Although I'm going to assume that you'll be able to charge the tablet and controllers without requiring the dock, so you can just plug it in at airports/school/etc.

And a big point of contention, I think, will be whether the tablet can be easily replaced and at what cost. If the thing by itself costs $200+ from Ninty, I'm going to very hesitant to take it outside.

yuraya

3hr battery life and what looks to be like a 720p screen. Maybe 900p?

Seems to be a very cheap device overrall. Nintendo needs to sell it for like 200$.

MadGear

If that thing only lasts 3hrs the trailer is somewhat misleading. In that case the Switch is really just an evolved form of the Wii U but not a true hybrid console (but then again people are saying the 3DS battery life wasn't much better?).
Personally I have no need for the portable feature, so if they'll ever release a stationary-only variant that's the one I would buy.

rtcn63

3hr battery life and what looks to be like a 720p screen. Maybe 900p?

Seems to be a very cheap device overrall. Nintendo needs to sell it for like 200$.

Honestly, I don't see it being less than $300, more likely closer to $400. And another $50+ if you want the pro controller. Ninty doesn't like selling things at a loss, and the word "custom" generally equates to "not cheap".

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Thoughts on Stellaris? I tried Crusader Kings 2 a couple of years ago, but I felt it was extremely complicated. I heard that Stellaris is more of a 4X. I used to love Alpha Centauri and games like that.

Would Stellaris be more up my alley?

Hello Neighbor Open Pre-Alpha and New Trailer
helloween_3.jpg
Download it from HelloNeighborGame.com (Down ATM)

Before we we get started, we need to set expectations
This is an early Pre-Alpha
It will crash, it will glitch out, and it will crash again
Core game loop is there alongside a lot of the mechanics
The neighbor will track your movement and anticipate your upcoming actions
You _can_ get into the basement and that’s where this build ends
The more you play, the harder it will get
The build DOES NOT have final artwork, gameplay, house layout, etc.

• Controllers are supported but you won't be able to throw items with a controller. You need that to smash windows. Because you know, that's how you bust into someone's house.
  • What are the minimum specs to run it? We recommend at least 8GB of RAM, an i5 processor, and GT 770. Adjust quality settings for lower end machines.
  • How much will the final game cost? Expect 20-30 USD
  • Is MAC coming? For the final game possibly. Not for the alpha builds.
  • CONSOLES! I WANT CONSOLES!!!!?!?!?! We’re not talking about console versions at this point. Seriously please stop e-mailing us with this question. For every question we get about consoles, a puppy cries in sad tears of hunger as instead of feeding it, we’re answering e-mails.
  • Will there be multiplayer? No. Because no man should promise multiplayer in single player games.
  • Where do I report bugs or share my amazing ideas? On Steam forums, go here - http://steamcommunity.com/app/521890/discussions/
  • Can I share gameplay footage? Yis.
  • Will the game be localized? Yus.
  • Will there be multiple houses, story, etc? In a way yes. We’re not sharing what the full game’s structure is, as that’s dynamic and will shift around. We can tell you there will be multiple locations and a full-on story. Follow the development in-depth to get an idea of how it’s shaping up.

yuraya

CIV VI with 134k concurrent. That is like the 5th or 6th steam game this year to have over 100k concurrent on launch day.

PC gaming continues with the tremendous success. Hyuuuuge success!

Honestly, I don't see it being less than $300, more likely closer to $400. And another $50+ if you want the pro controller. Ninty doesn't like selling things at a loss, and the word "custom" generally equates to "not cheap".

If it is closer to 400$ it will bomb harder than Quantum Break. It will take years for Nintendo to recover from that. There was a rumor article some time ago saying the NX will be much cheaper than people think. Something like 200-250$ would be good for them. Otherwise they won't be able to compete with the Sony/MS. Those slim consoles will be even cheaper next year.

I can see it being very expensive tho. There were so many different little controller pieces in that trailer and shit. It will probably spike the costs for them as a result. Hope Nintendo knows what they are doing.

Anno

Thoughts on Stellaris? I tried Crusader Kings 2 a couple of years ago, but I felt it was extremely complicated. I heard that Stellaris is more of a 4X. I used to love Alpha Centauri and games like that.

Would Stellaris be more up my alley?

Should be. It's still kinda finicky with lots of numbers and options, but far more accessible than CK or EU I think. As someone who couldn't really get into their previous games at all I really enjoy Stellaris and look forward to playing more later this year. It also might have the best soundtrack of the year.

Kagemusha

I love the games on the Wii U. It's clunky and I'm sure the other consoles do everything better, but the exclusives are so much fun. It's worth getting. It's just a pain to have to go into OG Wii mode to play Chrono Trigger.

Also, (Joking) but did we DDoS the internet by all doing the Idlemaster clicker game all at once?

Aaron D.

Thoughts on Stellaris?

Absolutely love it.

Paradox's most accessible title to date. 4X-style gameplay early with a mix of Grand Strategy mid to late game. Tutorial is VERY friendly & thorough, so you should be good to go.

Killer presentation for the genre with one of the most memorable soundtrack of the year.

I'll just put it out there that I think it's Top 10 GOTY material.

Amzin

I have a 2-in-1 Windows laptop, and I bet I get about 3 hours of hard use from it, at 1080, playing Steam stuff. More if I'm just goofing around on YouTube/Reddit/whatever. I like the idea of the Switch but if it can't even outlast a (maybe) more powerful Windows device at its own game.... same old Nintendo I guess.

If it somehow has the ability to play the library of games from like the past Nintendo handhelds and consoles I would mayyyybbbeeee consider it, but I haven't cared about any single one of them enough to buy them yet.

Oh Resident Evil Revelations. Why did they put such "great" effort into making Quint and Keith into these very obnoxious characters and then make you play them. I don't want to play as them, even if it's just briefly. That's like having to shake someones hand after he touched himself.

Every segment that is not Jill really drags the game down, not only because of the obnoxious characters but also because the gameplay turns into a straight up shoot'em up.

Nabs

Looks like Xanadu Next worldwide PC release (Falcom RPG) comes out on Nov 3.

The action RPG will be available on Steam, GOG.com, and the Humble Store for $19.99 with a launch week discount of 10%.

Not bad. I might have to grab it from Humble.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Thanks on the replies regarding Stellaris. This might be the time to pukl the trigger on it then. The parts I've heard about it containing "quests" or stories sounds absolutely lovely.

Listened to the soundtrack on spotify today and it was fantastic.

ArjanN

Oh Resident Evil Revelations. Why did they put such "great" effort into making Quint and Keith into these very obnoxious characters and then make you play them. I don't want to play as them, even if it's just briefly. That's like having to shake someones hand after he touched himself.

That would be tits.

Seriously though, yeah, they were bad comic relief characters. RER2 is a big step up in that regard.

data

Don't both the vita and small 3DS have 3hr long battery times? 3hrs sounds perfectly fine to me, especially with how popular battery banks are nowadays.

Don't both the vita and small 3DS have 3hr long battery times? 3hrs sounds perfectly fine to me, especially with how popular battery banks are nowadays.

Pretty sure my vita lasts longer than that and it's even the original oled model.
3DS battery is pretty shit though, yeah.

Nillansan

Well, yes. By going to the previous posts, I conclude that by not announcing PC version right now, it means that there won't be a PC version until they announce the remaster version down the road later, which is for PS5 and XB2. PC version will have to wait until the current gen ends.

GTAV = PS3 + XB360 no PC, then later PS4 + XB1 + PC
RDR2 = PS4 + XB1 no PC, then later PS5 + XB2 + PC

I am not sure what to expect honestly. You might be right given that both Sony and Microsoft seems to go with the small incremental upgrade route. With Xbox Scorpio and the PS4 Pro right around the corner the next iterations might not be far off. I do hope that Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out before that though.

Knurek

My N3DS has MAX battery life of 8 hours.
(With sound and 3D disabled, medium brightness and playing Picross).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom