• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Did you OC your CPU? I have the same processor and will be grabbing a 1070 soon.

I likely will when I grab the video card. I haven't yet, though, since it served me well the past couple of years. I've been mostly PS4 the past two years but I'm hopping back over to PC so I'm looking to boost my PC in a couple of spots.

Backlogger

I did, mine is at 4.2ghz. Forget ultra settings but high is easy.

I think that's what mine is at right now. I might have bumped it down during the summer but now that its finally cooling off here might be able to bump it back up.

Thinking of jumping on that CDkeys deal on DEX:MD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jackbox 3 is lit. Quiplash 2 and Guesspionge are mega great streaming games. Trivia Murder Party and Fakin' It are amazing local multi games (the latter is one of the most amazing social games I've ever played)

Gattsu25

Banned
Playing some Grim Dawn as a ranged character for the first time. It's more fun than I thought it would be.

giphy.gif

Playing some Grim Dawn as a ranged character for the first time. It's more fun than I thought it would be.

giphy.gif

I hope you get used to the gun noise because
you'll be hearing it forever with that build.

Grim Dawn is a lot of fun, though. I'm so glad I ended up getting it from a Humble Monthly, never would've given it a second change otherwise. I dunno how I failed to realise that it's the next generation of ARPG, but here we are.

The constellation system is sooooo goooood.

Jawmuncher

Jackbox 3 is lit. Quiplash 2 and Guesspionge are mega great streaming games. Trivia Murder Party and Fakin' It are amazing local multi games (the latter is one of the most amazing social games I've ever played)

Recently played Jackbox 1 & 2 with friends who never heard of it. Not all the games were a hit, but especially stuff like drawful was really popular (we had 8 people playing). Will definitely be grabbing 3 soon.

Gattsu25

Banned
I hope you get used to the gun noise because
you'll be hearing it forever with that build.

Grim Dawn is a lot of fun, though. I'm so glad I ended up getting it from a Humble Monthly, never would've given it a second change otherwise. I dunno how I failed to realise that it's the next generation of ARPG, but here we are.

The constellation system is sooooo goooood.

I love the sound of the guns, so I hope that works out.

Monooboe

I can feel the Civilization hook pulling me in.

Rome just got what was coming to them after they needlessly declared war on me. Had to save scum a few times as I worked my way through the combat mechanics, but they ended up seeding me a ton of gold and resources for peace.

Wow, after all my years of playing Civ games I have never even thought about save scumming, this just blows my mind and I just can't think of why I didn't think of it.O_O I'm serious, this changes everything.

Wow, after all my years of playing Civ games I have never even thought about save scumming, this just blows my mind and I just can't think of why I didn't think of it.O_O I'm serious, this changes everything.

Lol.

I think Civ, along with most of Firaxis' games, have specific options to prevent or aid save-scumming. Preserve random seed will ensure that you always get the same outcome from identical turn sequences.

oipic

Same! I must've racked up several hundred hours across the Civ series and don't recall ever reverting to a previous save when things got ugly - it had never crossed my mind. Dealing with my mess has always been an inherent part of the gameplay loop.

The only times things get ugly in Civ is on Emperor or higher. I'll usually try to ride out a game but if it doesn't look salvageable I just start a new one. Usually the mistake that cost you that particular game was a few hundred turns back or you just get fucked when it comes to key strategic resources like iron, coal, aluminum or uranium, so there's no point in reloading older saves for a specific game.

haendeul

Lol.

I think Civ, along with most of Firaxis' games, have specific options to prevent or aid save-scumming. Preserve random seed will ensure that you always get the same outcome from identical turn sequences.

Well you can reload when you realised you made a huge mistake.

I never reload in these games though. I play them like I play Diablo-games in hardcore mode. I don't see the point in playing it if there's no consequences.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like the latest DS3 patch introduced a crash bug, getting it while killing enemies in certain areas (not sure if widespread thing or just this area). Looked at the steam forums and seems to be happening to a few others so something got screwed up.

Not a single crit :D

Turning things into puddles of gore with default attacks is what Grim Dawn is all about.

it is gud
Well you can reload when you realised you made a huge mistake.

I never reload in these games though. I play them like I play Diablo-games in hardcore mode. I don't see the point in playing it if there's no consequences.

Yeah, I try to avoid it myself, unless there's a mistake.

I really wish I was good enough for ironman-style play in 4Xes, because it's definitely among the most rewarding approach IMO. Stellaris and XCOM both support ironman, which I love, but I never feel good enough to really tackle it properly--I always end up reloading or playing in non-ironman to actually complete stuff.

Buraindo

I honestly got bored. Maybe cause I am played it solo. Didn't finish.

Same here.

Odd because I can't really see anything that's inherently wrong with the game. Aside from some of the armour and weapon designs I can't really say I dislike much of Grim Dawn. I just sort of got bored and moved on.
Might give it another go at some point.

Same here.

Odd because I can't really see anything that's inherently wrong with the game. Aside from some of the armour and weapon designs I can't really say I dislike much of Grim Dawn. I just sort of got bored and moved on.
Might give it another go at some point.

I play it solo and I originally bounced off of it, too--to the point that I refunded the game. It was only after I went back and tried a different build that I fell right into it.

It's kind of deceptively designed. It feels very similar to Titan Quest at first, which I hated, but once you get into the itemisation and constellation stuff later on, it diverges significantly. Both of these things can fundamentally change the build of a character, giving it the sort of depth I was looking for. Like, the loading tooltips mention that an item can define a build, and in Grim Dawn's case I absolutely believe it; I don't even mean best-in-slot, but that it gives you something few, if any, other items can.

It's Qix.

Imagine if you HDD was infected by viruses or possibly embarrassing Anime, it's up to you to fire up the disk defragmenter and isolate the offending articles. There are 24 levels and it should take you around an hour to finish all the levels and get all the achievements. It's a simple but very effective clone, well worth a play and a steal at $1 or less.

Very decent puzzler set in the wonderful world of Optics!

Each level starts with a source and a reciever, sometimes multiples of each, and it's up to you to use various tools like reflectors, collimators, lens, refractors/prisms and others to light up the receiver. You can also bend light a little too easily with gravity wells and while 1st year physics was a while ago, I'm pretty sure changing the speed of light with a small device was a pipedream. While you will probably learn a little about optics here there are some liberties taken.

Level and more importantly game design is a weakness. There is no clear progression through the game, just 160 random levels in random order. Some later levels require minimal change from the user, some even solve themselves bizarrely, and some early levels require minute pixel perfection to get everything to light up. Another level came up twice as well. While you can mostly do levels in any order you wish once you're solved the last in each batch I can see it becoming frustrating for some. Achievements are buggy too, after completing all 160 levels you get the 150 levels completed cheev and you'll have to unlock the final one, for all 160, in SAM

I can't help but think that a little more time paying attention to the flow of the levels and level design could have made this a better game but there is still a lot to like. Somewhat recommended if you like puzzle games.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

how does fakin' it work? It says you don't need extra controllers, and that you can play all these games via phones/tablets and whatever?

Arthea

Anybody knows why idlemaster is not working with certain games? What's different about them? The last one is The Admin.

Anybody knows why idlemaster is not working with certain games? What's different about them? The last one is The Admin.

I assume because it hasn't officially released yet. To be honest I have no idea how I got it on 24/11/15 almost a year before it is due to release. I imagine they stuffed something up in the background to do with the release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Cards don't drop until the game has publicly released. This has been the case for around two years now. Valve caught on to devs and other people with release state override subs selling cards on the market prior to release, hoping to bait "badgers" (my affectionate term for badge collectors) into buying the cards at a high/er price.

Arthea

I assume because it hasn't officially released yet. To be honest I have no idea how I got it on 24/11/15 almost a year before it is due to release. I imagine they stuffed something up in the background to do with the release.

oh wait, it's not released? Why idlemaster is picking it to idle then, I wonder.
I haven't noticed it's not lol

Nillansan

PS3 version was only ever that bad in Blighttown and Lost Izalith. It never ran that bad for me in even the tutorial area like shown in the vid. Never played 360 version.

I played it day one on PS3, they might have introduced patches since then, I remember the performance as being somewhat shaky, but you are right the worst offenders were Blight Town and Lost Izalith. I am so happy that a PC version came along. Thanks Tuco Benedicto Pacifico, Shoupinou and Speakerpankratz.

Nowadays it's 60fps or bust with Durante fix. Handheld PC thingy is cool but obviously if it can't handle even an old game like DS1, then it's priced too low and should upgrade the specs and charge more imo. Is that the $299 one?

I am strongly considering getting a GPD Handheld, but it won't be for action heavy games, I would use it exclusively as a Visual Novel and Adventure game machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom