• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I always pick a darker tone (blue, violet, black, grey, etc.) whenever a site allows to because it's easier for my eyes, but apparently some people think it saves energy or something. Is there an actual proof for that?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I always pick a darker tone (blue, violet, black, grey, etc.) whenever a site allows to because it's easier for my eyes, but apparently some people think it saves energy or something. Is there an actual proof for that?

it does, cause white uses more energy to display than dark colors, not that much tho...

I also use dark settings everywhere if possible, so much easier to read and more eye friendly

edit: there is a black google version to save energy :p

http://www.blackle.com/

http://www.blackle.com/about/

Jawmuncher

I use dark settings and dim my screen.
I need to get a dimmer for my desktop so the white file system doesn't blind me at night

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why did the midweeks start on a monday this week? >_>

halloween sale etc but they go until friday anyway so...whut?

r3n4ud

why did the midweeks start on a monday this week? >_>

halloween sale etc but they go until friday anyway so...whut?
No idea, but it's causing mass confusion. I've seen peole wandering around aimously and bumping into each other in the streets.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

the orphan dream- -- MB-232E41BC05678831 - Taken by MaxiLive

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No idea, but it's causing mass confusion. I've seen peole wandering around aimously and bumping into each other in the streets.

You shouldnt make fun of people with ocd dude :(

Ludens

Banned
DS3 dlc is garbage: snowy area you can't see enemies nearby you, superstrong enemies packed with enemies who target you with spells, meanwhile some mobs will throw you spears. The first boss is very bad and uninspired...if I think this is 15€ and Witcher 3 first DLC was 10€.

Knurek

It did save your eyes back in the CRT days.

Wok

Wait... white saves your eyes? Why is black worse than white?

Use a dark theme, and then go to a light webpage. You will feel blind for a few minutes.

Use a light theme, and then go a dark webpage. No problem.

The worst feeling come with reading a long article written black on white. The characters are somehow engraved if you go to a light webpage after.

data

Use a black theme, and then go to a white webpage. You will feel blind for a few minutes.

Use a white theme, and then go a black webpage. No problem.

The worst feeling comew with reading a long article written black on white. The characters are somehow engraved if you go to a white webpage after.

I don't have any issue changing between white or dark. Nor do I see the engraving thing. I've never had issues with this except for right when I wake up or my screen's brightness is really high. Are there scientific studies about this?

derFeef

Actually you would need to have a red-tinted picture to have a minimal impact on your photosensitivity.
That's why most astronomy tools have a red-layout option - you do not want your eyes to lose that 1 hour they just needed to acclimate to the darkness if you look into the stars/through a telescope. You want all those details!

Amzin

I would guess they are preparing payment in Euro in the future

I haven't seen anything I can actually buy on Nuuvem in a while here in the states, wonder if that's changing or if that's just to help those rare items be purchased.

Edit: Regarding all this light talk, the white light is almost surely worse for your eyes because it gives off a lot more "blue" light just because it's brighter, which is harder on your eyes. You want red tint (as mentioned above) or to use a yellow or some other filter to keep the "blue" light from getting to your eyes. It's not the color blue so much as it is a wavelength of light I believe, or something like that. It's been years since I researched this stuff so I forget the terminology somewhat but I know that things like Flux and those dumb yellow gamer glasses actually help quite a bit if you have any sensitivity :p

the things is i got a banner that now nuuvem allow payment in us dollar in my region, but under all the game it is a description that is saying they are not avaible in europe

I'm kinda surprised. People raved about them but now that they accept the us dollar, their prices are no better than greenman

Backlogger

So close to pulling the trigger on a 1070 but annoyed that the Masterpass deal on Newegg doesn't work due to the card coming with GoW4. Would be such a great deal if it worked but its only $25.

When does that GOW promo end? This month?

Ludens

Banned
Some screens from DS3:

2z3WhqZ.jpg

19W2VsO.jpg

RgeFwln.jpg

j7ixGgp.jpg

Granjinha

DS3 dlc is garbage: snowy area you can't see enemies nearby you, superstrong enemies packed with enemies who target you with spells, meanwhile some mobs will throw you spears. The first boss is very bad and uninspired...if I think this is 15€ and Witcher 3 first DLC was 10€.

lol no

you can see them, you just have to be careful. Superstrong if you are underleveled, if you are in ~60, ~70 they are pretty fair. I didn't get to the first boss but the level design is great, too. The lore seems nice.

The loot sucks, tho.

Some screens from DS3:

so funnyyyyyyyyyyyy

Ludens

Banned
lol no

you can see them, you just have to be careful. Superstrong if you are underleveled, if you are in ~60, ~70 they are pretty fair. I didn't get to the first boss but the level design is great, too. The lore seems nice.

The loot sucks, tho.

so funnyyyyyyyyyyyy

It's not on the same level of DS2, but the initial area is very unfair, since if you simply walk nearby an enemy, like 6 pop out, and you can see them only when you know they are here, otherwise they seem trees or scenario elements.
Those dudes with axes and shield are way too strong, I'm level 90 and had zero problems on beating the normal game, but when the game places 3 or 4 of those guys, it's very hard survive.
I'm not even talking about bugs because I saw plenty of cases of enemies stucked into walls or spawning in the air, plus the game crashes a lot.

Granjinha

It's not on the same level of DS2, but the initial area is very unfair, since if you simply walk nearby an enemy, like 6 pop out, and you can see them only when you know they are here, otherwise they seem trees or scenario elements.
Those dudes with axes and shield are way too strong, I'm level 90 and had zero problems on beating the normal game, but when the game places 3 or 4 of those guys, it's very hard survive.

well but that's how the series works, isn't it? It teaches you to go carefully and not rush. In the initial area, for example (where there are spear, torch and spear/shield guys) you can basically lure them one by one. And even if you don't, they go down really easily, and the ones that throw basically have no defense, so you go at them first.

the game also indicates that the tree things are going to be enemies right at the beggining (i still got caught by surprise, though), it's basically dark souls 101. Observe the environment etc (i still die a lot, though lol)

The fog is really thick only in the initial area (with the guys you mentioned), after that you have a much clearer view of your enemies, too.

I do agree that you're fucked if more than two of the big guys (hell, even more than one) come at you. But you only have to be careful.

It also looks really good:

darksouls3-1d8smr.jpg

darksouls3-2vdsam.jpg

darksouls3-3lgsir.jpg

Ludens

Banned
well but that's how the series works, isn't it? It teaches you to go carefully and not rush. In the initial area, for example (where there are spear, torch and spear/shield guys) you can basically lure them one by one. And even if you don't, they go down really easily, and the ones that throw basically have no defense, so you go at them first.

The fog is really thick only in the initial area (with the guys you mentioned), after that you have a much clearer view of your enemies, too.

I do agree that you're fucked if more than two of the big guys (hell, even more than one) come at you. But you only have to be careful.

Yup, going with the shield on is basically the first rule of DS, but dunno, I found that ambush really cheap. I agree those enemies are very stupid and easy to beat, but the dlc overall plays on cheap ambush tactics, like
when you climb on the tower, surprise, an enemy with an axe will attack you almost istantly, often forcing you to fall behind. That happened twice to me and there's not really a way I found to avoid it.

kagamin

In that initial area for the Dark Souls 3 DLC I died twice before I figured out how to do it properly, I probably skipped some items but I'll go back later, still rocking my +9 Raw Astora Straight Sword though and doing just fine.

Granjinha

Yup, going with the shield on is basically the first rule of DS, but dunno, I found that ambush really cheap. I agree those enemies are very stupid and easy to beat, but the dlc overall plays on cheap ambush tactics, like
when you climb on the tower, surprise, an enemy with an axe will attack you almost istantly, often forcing you to fall behind. That happened twice to me and there's not really a way I found to avoid it.

the tower at the screenshot?
yeah when you enter he's right there, but it's not really hard to avoid, or am i getting it wrong?

because after going up the ladder the guy is looking outside with his back to you

but yeah i agree that there are some cheap tactics
(fuck that slope with the wolves and the big one), but what i did there was to lure the small ones to the tower, kill them, and then lure the big one and trap him inside LOL

still really enjoying it, though

Ludens

Banned
the tower at the screenshot?
yeah when you enter he's right there, but it's not really hard to avoid, or am i getting it wrong?

because after going up the ladder the guy is looking outside with his back to you

but yeah i agree that there are some cheap tactics
(fuck that slope with the wolves and the big one), but what i did there was to lure the small ones to the tower, kill them, and then lure the big one and trap him inside LOL

still really enjoying it, though

The dude was facing me both the times, dunno why. I died against one of those guys throwing spears and now I don't want to proceed because the road was long with a lot of enemies and no bonfire, so I simply quitted.

Granjinha

The dude was facing me both the times, dunno why. I died against one of those guys throwing spears and now I don't want to proceed because the road was long with a lot of enemies and no bonfire, so I simply quitted.

you can skip them

if you run to the place where the snow falls, they won't follow you down there

you can also skip the wolves, just go right and quickly kill the only one there otherwise he will howl

Kaleinc

Banned
I haven't seen anything I can actually buy on Nuuvem in a while here in the states, wonder if that's changing or if that's just to help those rare items be purchased.

Edit: Regarding all this light talk, the white light is almost surely worse for your eyes because it gives off a lot more "blue" light just because it's brighter, which is harder on your eyes. You want red tint (as mentioned above) or to use a yellow or some other filter to keep the "blue" light from getting to your eyes. It's not the color blue so much as it is a wavelength of light I believe, or something like that. It's been years since I researched this stuff so I forget the terminology somewhat but I know that things like Flux and those dumb yellow gamer glasses actually help quite a bit if you have any sensitivity :p
What does real damage to eyes is tiny ass font.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom