• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Looks like SFV flopped big time. Capcom should have just gone the F2P with microtransactions route from the get go and they would have probably made like 5x more money that way. Steam reviews are bad too. I think they'll have to relaunch it with super duper fancy edition if they want to recover from this.

Jawmuncher

Looks like SFV flopped big time. Capcom should have just gone the F2P with microtransactions route from the get go and they would have probably made like 5x more money that way. Steam reviews are bad too. I think they'll have to relaunch it with super duper fancy edition if they want to recover from this.

The release state hurt it more than anything. The state the game is in now is more or less what it should have been at launch.

Though I do think a KI type model would have worked well also. But I guess they we're afraid of everyone just playing ryu.

Tizoc

The release state hurt it more than anything. The state the game is in now is more or less what it should have been at launch.

Though I do think a KI type model would have worked well also. But I guess they we're afraid of everyone just playing ryu.

Yeah going an F2P/KI style release would've been fine but I continue to be baffled that they passed on a traditional Arcade mode for release after 2 decades of fighting games they forgo an arcade mode.

Pixieking

Banned

I think it's a great game, but last time I tried to play online, I waited 15 minutes, then just turned it off. I bought it for the online, but I just can't find matches. That was maybe 3 weeks ago. Haven't touched it since. :(

Kaleinc

Banned
Imagine Final fantasy 14 [1.0] but no issues are fixed in [2.0]. Be excited for overpriced skins and colors though.

Nzyme32

Not sure if there is anything significant to it, but there seems to be a couple of "apps" listed on SteamDB that were once called "Interface", that has been very regularly updated for the past year. It seems to update along with some other Valve stuff, like the "Steam Datagram Routing Server"

So that makes me wonder what "Interface" actually is? Store update?

Edit - Also didn't know HBO seems to be on the way to Steam - unless I am getting the wrong end of the stick. Guess they are taking their Video store plans seriously

so with reviews coming out and stuff like that i can probably say that owlboy is one of the best games this year

it's fucking amazing

great pacing, captivating characters, simple and nice story, the mechanics feel sooo good and there's lots of side contents. I recommend it to anyone who likes 2D sidescrollers/platformers in general.

oh yeah and THAT SOUNDTRACK. Man it's GOOD. Like REALLY INCREDIBLY GOOD

Watched a trailer just there. This game looks absolutely incredible. A late contender for my GOTY list I'm thinking.

You're right on the soundtrack as well, it's wonderful.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Edit - Also didn't know HBO seems to be on the way to Steam - unless I am getting the wrong end of the stick. Guess they are taking their Video store plans seriously

Personally I feel that Steam doesn't have a chance with it's video store unless it embraces Ultraviolet. There are a couple of reasons for this - mainly because a) people with existing Ultraviolet libraries wouldn't have to re-purchase movies and b) people purchasing movies on Steam could use apps like VUDU or Flixster on their Android TVs or, hell, even web browsers to watch the movies they buy.

I refuse to buy movies from Google because they don't include this functionality. I like Steam and all, but I wouldn't ever buy a movie that's stuck in their ecosystem indefinitely.

Nzyme32

Personally I feel that Steam doesn't have a chance with it's video store unless it embraces Ultraviolet. There are a couple of reasons for this - mainly because a) people with existing Ultraviolet libraries wouldn't have to re-purchase movies and b) people purchasing movies on Steam could use apps like VUDU or Flixster on their Android TVs or, hell, even web browsers to watch the movies they buy.

I refuse to buy movies from Google because they don't include this functionality. I like Steam and all, but I wouldn't ever buy a movie that's stuck in their ecosystem indefinitely.

Yeah, ultimately the same stance as my own, but the big difference is that I have avoided Ultraviolet and other services just for the lack of knowing how they would last in the long term. I really want to start a video collection for all sorts, but seems streaming solutions are the less risky. I don't know enough about where to start, but Ultraviolet seems universally recommended

Beat RotTR the other day.

Short game but it didn't overstay its welcome. I liked the story even if it was predictable.

The variety in combat is great.

I think it was easier than the 2013 game, even with the additional tombs and challenges. Certain items seemed to make platforming too easy. Also I wasn't thrilled at the lack of enemy variety; even a couple more "boss" fights would've been welcome.

I beat the game at 79% completion and will try for 100%.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, ultimately the same stance as my own, but the big difference is that I have avoided Ultraviolet and other services just for the lack of knowing how they would last in the long term. I really want to start a video collection for all sorts, but seems streaming solutions are the less risky. I don't know enough about where to start, but Ultraviolet seems universally recommended

Probably a topic for a different thread, but Ultraviolet seems (to me, at least) the best option for the long-term viability of movie DRM. Major film studios such as Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Studios, Paramount, Warner Bros., and Fox are on board as well as DreamWorks, Lionsgate, Roadshow Entertainment, BBC, and HBO. VUDU (currently the largest and most popular Ultraviolet provider) is owned by Wal-Mart (which isn't going anywhere any time soon). FandangoNow and Flixster (both owned by Fandango) also seems like it'll be here to stay. Verizon Fios supports it. We're also nearly 6 years into the lifespan of the system, and we've seen it grow from supporting SD and HD content to now include 3D and 4K (UHD) content so it seems pretty agile.

Obviously, everyone is free to choose the platform that fits their needs the best, but as someone who cut the cord years ago and exclusively streams my TV and movies, Ultraviolet is my movie library platform of choice.

donny2112

I'm bigtime into UV, but Google has had a couple of free ones. Don't mind those. The Disney Movie Anywhere is nice, as that means those are available on Youtube if Vudu/Flixster isn't available for some reason. Have a few from Amazon, but then Amazon gives digital credits for slower shipping, so those were mostly free and/or heavily discounted.

dex3108

UPlay got another smaller UI update. Also they improved their Store on Client. And finally after months of talking with Ubisoft support i got my AC3 DLCs on UPlay :D

Nzyme32

Probably a topic for a different thread, but Ultraviolet seems (to me, at least) the best option for the long-term viability of movie DRM. Major film studios such as Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Studios, Paramount, Warner Bros., and Fox are on board as well as DreamWorks, Lionsgate, Roadshow Entertainment, BBC, and HBO. VUDU (currently the largest and most popular Ultraviolet provider) is owned by Wal-Mart (which isn't going anywhere any time soon). FandangoNow and Flixster (both owned by Fandango) also seems like it'll be here to stay. Verizon Fios supports it. We're also nearly 6 years into the lifespan of the system, and we've seen it grow from supporting SD and HD content to now include 3D and 4K (UHD) content so it seems pretty agile.

Obviously, everyone is free to choose the platform that fits their needs the best, but as someone who cut the cord years ago and exclusively streams my TV and movies, Ultraviolet is my movie library platform of choice.

Thanks for the info. No doubt I'll actually dig into it soon, with UV being front runner.

donny2112

Thanks for the info. No doubt I'll actually dig into it soon, with UV being front runner.

Of important note is that Disney does it's own thing, but it's own thing is actually pretty awesome. With Disney Movie Anywhere, they link to UV, Google, Amazon, and other stuff, so that if you get the Disney/Marvel movie in one place (or from the insert in the movie), it'll be playable everywhere you linked. Pretty sweet.

Vudu also has an offer to convert DVDs (or Blu-Rays) to UV licenses, and if you do 10 or more at a time, it's $1 each for SD ($2.50 for HD). Won't work for Disney stuff, but the other companies jshackles mentioned all would be in it. Great way to start building a digital library for pretty cheap, if you already have (or have access to) the DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Ascheroth

Just finished Odallus: The Dark Call.

That was a damn fine game. About 7 hours on normal with 100% completion rate.
It's challenging but not frustrating, has tight controls, nice art and sound, cool bossfights, many secrets to find and so on.
Honestly that game alone was worth the 4€ I paid for the bundle... and it's in the 1$ tier! No excuse not to get it!

madjoki

lol Halloween DLC was free for an hour after launch.

I'm gonna get better at this whole "games thing", okay?

It was marked as free app, but wasn't actually free, so you couldn't get it for free despite it showing link, as there wasn't "free on demand" package for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom