• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
UPlay got another smaller UI update. Also they improved their Store on Client. And finally after months of talking with Ubisoft support i got my AC3 DLCs on UPlay :D

Any option to automatically close the client after closing a game yet? Only a simple feature that can't happen apparently.

Turns out those 69 cent Resident Evil episodes were price errors.

So glad I bought them in time. I'll grab the extra episodes later, probably won't be doing a RE run for a long while anyways.

So Skyshine's Bedlam doesn't have tutorials in-game, they're on a website and Chrome is telling me it's full of malware. Great start.

Huh, that's... huh. It always looked like a misguided FTLalike so I guess this isn't surprising.

Now... I can't think of a single game with a good web tutorial. (More points lost if it's also a video.) It just seems like a bad decision overall.

Wok

so with reviews coming out and stuff like that i can probably say that owlboy is one of the best games this year

it's fucking amazing

great pacing, captivating characters, simple and nice story, the mechanics feel sooo good and there's lots of side contents. I recommend it to anyone who likes 2D sidescrollers/platformers in general.

oh yeah and THAT SOUNDTRACK. Man it's GOOD. Like REALLY INCREDIBLY GOOD

Watched a trailer just there. This game looks absolutely incredible. A late contender for my GOTY list I'm thinking.

You're right on the soundtrack as well, it's wonderful.

The alpha of the game was my GOTY in 2011.

Vlad

They got They Bleed Pixels for 2 euro. I recommend this game

Oof, have to throw in the dissenting opinion on this one. I liked it for the first couple levels, when I thought the game was going to be a light platformer with a simple-but-fun combat/combo system. However, it quickly turned into an irritating platformer with clunky controls.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for the info. No doubt I'll actually dig into it soon, with UV being front runner.

Cool - feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, I know when I first started with UV there was a bit of a learning curve about what exactly it was.

And to piggyback onto that - I really feel like the "buy once, play anywhere*" model has got to be the future of digital distribution; whether it be for games, music, movies, television, or whatever.
* - I'm not talking about "Microsoft's "play anywhere", I'm actually talking about truly being able to enjoy your digital media on any device of your choosing.

I envision a future where you can purchase a game on Steam, and have access to it not just on GOG and Humble but also Uplay, Origin, and anything else that anyone else dreams up. Potentially being able to roll that digital purchase onto consoles would be a huge selling point. We've seen some limited engagement in this area (GOG connect, Humble including Steam+DRM-free, Steam including Uplay), but nothing that pushes anywhere near the boundaries of what's possible from a technical standpoint.

When big companies shift from selling games to selling a user experience, users win big time. In the example of Ultraviolet, there are a lot of competing services you can use to purchase movies (including physical discs) but a service only makes money if it's good enough to convince customers that their system is the best and easiest to use, while still being inter-operable with their competition. Speaking of competition, a more healthy dose of this always helps ultimately drive down the price for users.

Another win is that you could create a healthy "second hand" market like you have today, except the publishers could have a little better control over it. Places like Telltale wouldn't need to provide Telltale and Steam keys to Humble purchases to get people to use their service, that would happen automatically (or not, depending on if it were worthwhile) and could essentially work in their favor.

The downside, of course, for companies is that publishers are going to lose revenue from people that are used to "double dipping" (or "triple dipping", or whatever) on their games. Some places *cough*
Rockstar
*cough* build these numbers into their revenue projections and are ultimately the anti-thesis of what I'm talking about here.

If I had to put on my futurist hat for a moment, I'd predict that CD Projekt RED is in the best position right now and has the best corporate philosophy to make this happen. I could see it gaining in popularity pretty quickly with the smaller developers first and working it's way up the chain, if it's going to happen at all. GOG is the biggest platform that seems to be okay with "losing sales" in order to gain a more loyal customer base, which is really what this is all about.

Anyway, that's my ramblings for the day. Probably a pie-in-the-sky fantasy, but it seems like the logical progression with pros and cons from both sides of the argument.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As if we needed further confirmation:

DaIjJrI.png

or

MUr3iUE.png

historical lowest price

actual sale price

RIP steam sales

but I'm sure someone will come in here and say "but but but steam sales have not gotten worse!"

Speaking of sales, since the Halloween Sale is so short, should I put Army super low or Not Really At All for discount?

Nzyme32

Sam and Max Hit the Road finally hitting up steam maybe? It got updated a bit ago for the first time in a year. Not sure if it was previously on the store and pulled or never on the store.

Cool - feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, I know when I first started with UV there was a bit of a learning curve about what exactly it was.

And to piggyback onto that - I really feel like the "buy once, play anywhere*" model has got to be the future of digital distribution; whether it be for games, music, movies, television, or whatever.
* - I'm not talking about "Microsoft's "play anywhere", I'm actually talking about truly being able to enjoy your digital media on any device of your choosing.

I envision a future where you can purchase a game on Steam, and have access to it not just on GOG and Humble but also Uplay, Origin, and anything else that anyone else dreams up. Potentially being able to roll that digital purchase onto consoles would be a huge selling point. We've seen some limited engagement in this area (GOG connect, Humble including Steam+DRM-free, Steam including Uplay), but nothing that pushes anywhere near the boundaries of what's possible from a technical standpoint.

When big companies shift from selling games to selling a user experience, users win big time. In the example of Ultraviolet, there are a lot of competing services you can use to purchase movies (including physical discs) but a service only makes money if it's good enough to convince customers that their system is the best and easiest to use, while still being inter-operable with their competition. Speaking of competition, a more healthy dose of this always helps ultimately drive down the price for users.

Another win is that you could create a healthy "second hand" market like you have today, except the publishers could have a little better control over it. Places like Telltale wouldn't need to provide Telltale and Steam keys to Humble purchases to get people to use their service, that would happen automatically (or not, depending on if it were worthwhile) and could essentially work in their favor.

The downside, of course, for companies is that publishers are going to lose revenue from people that are used to "double dipping" (or "triple dipping", or whatever) on their games. Some places *cough*
Rockstar
*cough* build these numbers into their revenue projections and are ultimately the anti-thesis of what I'm talking about here.

If I had to put on my futurist hat for a moment, I'd predict that CD Projekt RED is in the best position right now and has the best corporate philosophy to make this happen. I could see it gaining in popularity pretty quickly with the smaller developers first and working it's way up the chain, if it's going to happen at all. GOG is the biggest platform that seems to be okay with "losing sales" in order to gain a more loyal customer base, which is really what this is all about.

Anyway, that's my ramblings for the day. Probably a pie-in-the-sky fantasy, but it seems like the logical progression with pros and cons from both sides of the argument.

So much good info, and an outlook for the future I would like to see. No doubt I'll have many more questions. With Steam doing it's thing soon, I'll also keep an eye on what it does, though I highly doubt it can be competitive for years to come, especially if it stays steam centric while others go beyond

Ionic

GOG is the biggest platform that seems to be okay with "losing sales" in order to gain a more loyal customer base, which is really what this is all about.

I don't know if it's fair to count Steam out here given I've been buying Steam keys on various websites for years from which Valve has earned not a single cent. Steam's goal has always been to make it as easy as possible for people to add games they've bought elsewhere to Steam. It gets more eyes on the store front after all. I'm excited to see what GOG and Steam continue to do in reaction to each other.

Amzin

historical lowest price

actual sale price

RIP steam sales

but I'm sure someone will come in here and say "but but but steam sales have not gotten worse!"

The $2.49 looks like it was a price error that didn't last very long, so $4.99 is actually the "real" lowest price (not a NEW lowest price, though).

I wish isthereanydeal filtered out price errors actually, it fucks up my price hunting a lot of times. If the discount lasted less than 8 hours or whatever it shouldn't count.

madjoki

As if we needed further confirmation:

DaIjJrI.png

or

MUr3iUE.png

Yeah, it's weird some games are already using it. Earliest was Battlerite from last friday. Whole week early.

Maybe it has something to do merging of discounts that last into Halloween sale (to prevent discount from glitching too high, as Steam does stack discounts if there's multiple).

Sam and Max Hit the Road finally hitting up steam maybe? It got updated a bit ago for the first time in a year. Not sure if it was previously on the store and pulled or never on the store.

It never was for sale, as it's private app.

Durante

I posted about this in the Vive thread, but since it's not a VR exclusive game: The Solus Project (currently 40% off) is actually really good. I'm not into the survival/exploration genre really, but the setting is very neat (and gets progressively more so if you get further into it), it presents some great vistas, and the gameplay mechanics are solid.

I don't know how well all of this translates to a non-VR playthrough, though judgeing from the Steam reviews it should still be good as a traditional game.

ExoSoul

Banned
Just finished Odallus: The Dark Call.

That was a damn fine game. About 7 hours on normal with 100% completion rate.
It's challenging but not frustrating, has tight controls, nice art and sound, cool bossfights, many secrets to find and so on.
Honestly that game alone was worth the 4€ I paid for the bundle... and it's in the 1$ tier! No excuse not to get it!

It's also more Berserk than Dark Souls

The release state hurt it more than anything. The state the game is in now is more or less what it should have been at launch.

Though I do think a KI type model would have worked well also. But I guess they we're afraid of everyone just playing ryu.

*thinks back to his time on-line*

*thinks back to tier list*

Ya, about that. :p

duppolo

Metacritic is dumb, go buy it. The best Hitman game.

i know and is the first game i want to buy now, but it should be found at max 25€ for many reason, by now. if ill buy it now, the next time i will have to wait more for a discount. so ill buy when i can find it at least at 50% off

jshackles

I don't know if it's fair to count Steam out here given I've been buying Steam keys on various websites for years from which Valve has earned not a single cent. Steam's goal has always been to make it as easy as possible for people to add games they've bought elsewhere to Steam. It gets more eyes on the store front after all. I'm excited to see what GOG and Steam continue to do in reaction to each other.

Steam seem perfectly happy to promote the ability for publishers to sell Steam keys on other sites (as that generates revenue in the form of customer loyalty and grows their own ecosystem) but I'm not sure they would be so keen to help a competing platform share those rights in the opposite direction. Granted, they do have an open API that shows which games a user owns so maybe that criticism is a bit unfair. I feel like they can, and should, do a lot more.

I had high hopes in this regard when they started offering private API access to select businesses that allowed for linking Steam accounts and had automatic key redemption. It was genuinely a step in the right direction, as in my perfect utopia of consolidated DRM every storefront that participated would have to have a similar mechanism in place. My hopes were dashed though when they announced that they were discontinuing the service, and sites like Humble and Indie Gala had to go back to manual key redemption.

I guess another reason I write off Steam is in my personal experience Valve seems unwilling to commit staff resources to these types of advancements knowing they'll require ongoing support.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I posted about this in the Vive thread, but since it's not a VR exclusive game: The Solus Project (currently 40% off) is actually really good. I'm not into the survival/exploration genre really, but the setting is very neat (and gets progressively more so if you get further into it), it presents some great vistas, and the gameplay mechanics are solid.

I don't know how well all of this translates to a non-VR playthrough, though judgeing from the Steam reviews it should still be good as a traditional game.

I enjoyed The Ball, even though I only played it because of the Portal 2 ARG. Looks like a No Man's Sky like game.

jshackles

weren't ppl swearing by that site a few weeks ago?

i feel very uncomfortable about those places

A lot of people swear by sites like CDKeys because they do typically have good deals and they're far less shady than "user-marketplace" sites like G2A. However with that being said, you still have some super-scummy / super-scammy tactics they use such as not informing you that keys are region locked or flagging orders for "manual verification" and requesting copies of your passport and such for who knows what purpose.

The likelihood of having keys revoked because they're not "officially authorized" to distribute them is still present, although again not as bad as from other sites since the keys are typically purchased in bulk from other regions rather than sourced individually.

Personally I don't recommend them and cannot fathom why someone would risk it, but to each their own.

Phawx

A lot of people swear by sites like CDKeys because they do typically have good deals and they're far less shady than "user-marketplace" sites like G2A. However with that being said, you still have some super-scummy / super-scammy tactics they use such as not informing you that keys are region locked or flagging orders for "manual verification" and requesting copies of your passport and such for who knows what purpose.

The likelihood of having keys revoked because they're not "officially authorized" to distribute them is still present, although again not as bad as from other sites since the keys are typically purchased in bulk from other regions rather than sourced individually.

Personally I don't recommend them and cannot fathom why someone would risk it, but to each their own.

Yea, I waffled on buying a CoD game on cdkeys and I want to continue to wait. I have to wait until Activision buckles and sells CoD bundle for cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom