• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
A lot of people swear by sites like CDKeys because they do typically have good deals and they're far less shady than "user-marketplace" sites like G2A. However with that being said, you still have some super-scummy / super-scammy tactics they use such as not informing you that keys are region locked or flagging orders for "manual verification" and requesting copies of your passport and such for who knows what purpose.

The likelihood of having keys revoked because they're not "officially authorized" to distribute them is still present, although again not as bad as from other sites since the keys are typically purchased in bulk from other regions rather than sourced individually.

Personally I don't recommend them and cannot fathom why someone would risk it, but to each their own.

i forgot what i bought off g2a once and never got and felt gross after and idk

it just feels shitty to me, like someone's getting ripped off when u buy off those places

same reason i don't take advantage of price mistakes

Durante

I enjoyed The Ball, even though I only played it because of the Portal 2 ARG. Looks like a No Man's Sky like game.
It's not at all. Well, I think it isn't, I haven't played NMS.

Anyway, The Solus Project consists of a series of handcrafted levels, each with uniquely designed puzzles/challenges, and it has a strong story progression.

The similarities seem mostly aesthetic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Ball and NMS couldnt be more different. that must be some amazing ganja you are smoking to come up with that comparison.

Teggy

Guys, Mafia 3 is bad. It's bumming me out. Their solution to making the world more full was giving you lots of opportunities to drive a truck from one side of the map to the other. The rest of the game is pretty much cut and paste. What a disappointment.

Parsnip

In my mind cdkeys is on the same level of shadiness as buying games from Russian bear was. Just a different way to take advantage of regional pricing. I've bought two things from there I think and everything worked fine, so eh. YMMV.

Their store descriptions could be better for sure though.

Guys, Mafia 3 is bad. It's bumming me out. Their solution to making the world more full was giving you lots of opportunities to drive a truck from one side of the map to the other. The rest of the game is pretty much cut and paste. What a disappointment.

Sucks to hear that. 1 and 2 were both great.

Flandy

Cv0EXGqUMAAUC93.jpg:large

Thanks for the 21:9 Bethesda

AHA-Lambda

A lot of people swear by sites like CDKeys because they do typically have good deals and they're far less shady than "user-marketplace" sites like G2A. However with that being said, you still have some super-scummy / super-scammy tactics they use such as not informing you that keys are region locked or flagging orders for "manual verification" and requesting copies of your passport and such for who knows what purpose.

The likelihood of having keys revoked because they're not "officially authorized" to distribute them is still present, although again not as bad as from other sites since the keys are typically purchased in bulk from other regions rather than sourced individually.

Personally I don't recommend them and cannot fathom why someone would risk it, but to each their own.

Passport??

Idk, that just sounds dodgy as shit right there

Does anyone know if savegames and mods for the original Skyrim work in the remaster?

Don't know, I can't find a firm answer either for saves. Seems unlikely sadly.

After 110 hours+ on PS3 only for it to bug out completely and another 45 on PC I don't fancy another restart.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
D to become the next Bad Rats based entirely off of the joke of gifting it to someone and saying that you gave them the D.

I don't know, there's a lot less drive/talk padding sessions than GTA.

Jawmuncher

I can't remember much wrong about GTAV. I played only story missions and didn't run into any hang ups from what I recall.

Same can't be said of 4 though

Jawmuncher

Shipping kills it.

($7.99 for 10-day shipping, $20.99 for 2 day shipping, $31.99 for overnight)

Meanwhile my Amazon pre-order is in for $39.99 for release day delivery. So I could save $7 if I don't mind it showing up two weeks after release. Still a good deal, but I'll pass.

Sometimes the shipping works out. Depends though. I remember capcom store ran through a similar channel and I got Mercs 3D on release date, and Operation Raccoon City a day early. But overall yeah, the shipping kills the deal for me as well reagardless.

KingKong

GTA 5s mission design is literally making you go to highlighted areas and pressing the interact button. Occasionally they let you drive and shoot things yourself but even that's usually pretty scripted

Jawmuncher

GTA 5s mission design is literally making you go to highlighted areas and pressing the interact button. Occasionally they let you drive and shoot things yourself but even that's usually pretty scripted

That's probably why I didn't mind.
That's all I needed really. I liked Watch Dogs as well.

2 hours-ish impressions: Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is really good.
I spent an hour in character creation.
They seem to have done a huge polish pass on the combat and now there's actual tutorials. The combos and skills have a much better / less janky feel this time around. And the new hub is a dramatic improvement.

I'm playing it with a controller this time around so its been a period of adaptation, but the authentic Dragonball feel is back as strong as ever.

It's like a dream turned into reality!

re: the bolded. WHAT

Avoid, avoid, avoid! That's the scummiest behaviour I've ever heard of.

It weirds me out enough when Gamestop calls to very online purchases (this was over half a decade ago, though). And now I'm at the point where if it requires anything beyond filling out the form it's not even worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd

It weirds me out enough when Gamestop calls to very online purchases (this was over half a decade ago, though). And now I'm at the point where if it requires anything beyond filling out the form it's not even worth it.
yeah you'd think that g2a charging u an "insurance fee" was scummy but passport shit is on a whole another level lol

I can't remember much wrong about GTAV. I played only story missions and didn't run into any hang ups from what I recall.

Same can't be said of 4 though
i disliked most about gta 5, even if they just did iterative improvements on some stuff like car handling and crap

i don't hate it and its writing as much as i do max payne 3 but it's one of my least favorite rockstar games

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution from CJS and being required to provide a scan of my driver's licence. Two or three years ago I used the site again to buy a key for Blood Bowl: Dark Elves, which Focus yanked from the store for some reason, and again was asked to verify my identity, however I sent an e-mail explaining that I'd already done this in the past and the step was waived, which was, uh, "nice".

Tellaerin

I remember buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution from CJS and being required to provide a scan of my driver's licence. Two or three years ago I used the site again to buy a key for Blood Bowl: Dark Elves, which Focus yanked from the store for some reason, and again was asked to verify my identity, however I sent an e-mail explaining that I'd already done this in the past and the step was waived, which was, uh, "nice".

I just wonder what kind of shady criminal type is now running around using a bootleg copy of your ID. >.>

I've bought quite a few things from CDkeys with no issue and this is my first time hearing about requesting passports. Never ran across that from them

And that's why I never finished the story. No idea what people find great from GTA V single player. Their next game should be multiplayer only.

And that's why I never finished the story. No idea what people find great from GTA V single player. Their next game should be multiplayer only.

Agreed. multiplayer actually makes good use of the open world and the physics of the HD GTAs. If GTA:O wasn't crippled by the grindy progression and terrible matchmaking, it would be pretty perfect.

I bought a game off cdkeys last night and had to supply a phone number to verify the account which I thought was weird. If they ask for anything more then that in the future they can go jump. No way I'd be sending passport scans etc.

Teggy

At least GTA has variety to keep things interesting even if you don't love the gameplay. You are flying, driving, running, cycling, climbing up, robbing and shooting, etc. Pretty much the entire of Mafia III has been either go to warehouse-looking place and kill a guy (granted you can mix in stealth if you choose, which is nice) or go to smaller warehouse-looking place and steal a truck or boat, and no one will follow you. There has been some OK level design for the 2 or 3 most important targets, but overall it feels very lazy. The world/story is mostly what it has going for it.

I booted up Skyrim SE just to see how it looked/performed compared to my modded original version. It looked at my system (6700k/GTX1080) and defaulted everything to ultra except it went 1080p instead of native 1440p. It ran around 60-100fps, except for somewhat frequent stutters and huge weird frame drops. The NPC in the tutorial area also twice fell though the ground and had to be found elsewhere. I was actually completely alone for the bear room (so didn't get the tutorial on how to sneak) all the way to the exit. So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom