• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told him to do that but he won't listen so I guess I'll just ignore him playing.

To be clear, I should add that I mean the in-game brightness setting. I'm assuming the console version has the same setting.

I'll make a comparison shot of max brightness vs. the default brightness (two pips lower). Just give me a minute to take it and edit it in. (Edit: Ok it's not as dramatic in-game as in the brightness thing, but it's still there.)

F0F84ACC5AA66D5038261E830B8C7CFADFD9F7FA

brightness (top: default / bottom: max)
90B8C5CD3F1808B7B09EA0C30F14A270CB76A720
D5A0C24FABB9F4DD838CF10CBE536D7EC23FB83A

in-game brightness (top: default / bottom: max)
ED2DAD859FA6B1D3C2BDCF7054E2175C8BC80713
I think someone mentioned the glare setting affecting brightness but it's been OK for me on low.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Turn up the brightness.

I'm serious.

And speaking of DBXV2, there's only one problem with it right now; the Steam page went from a description of one year of post-launch support to 6-months, changed on the very day of release. Bando-Namcai pls.

Reminds me of when Squeenix ninja-edited Tomb Raider 2013's pre-order bonuses and DDE content a couple of weeks before release. The challenge tomb was seemingly switched to a different one and the "Endurance Pack" (which ultimately never surfaced) was removed in favour of just a single MP map, and the soundtrack included in the DDE went from the complete thing to a half-length/10-track sample.

Got my Skyrim DLCs pack removed from my account and refunded my wallet.

Meanwhile, Skyrim SE is still sitting there in my library. ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Grats on the fraud o/

Coldsun

Banned

So.. you're gloating over committing a fraud? *slow golf clap*.

Way to abuse a system that was added for the consumer's benefit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A recent game release is making me think of one unfortunate user review effect thing. There's a game I played I liked quite a bit, and everyone who's played it so far has also posted a positive review. But the reviews are right now at 75% positive or so (with so few reviews, that's considered mixed) due to a few people leaving negative reviews due to not being able to run the game because their systems were weaker than the game's recommended specs.

I know it's not a big deal, and all the reviews actually talking about the game are getting more recognition/thumbs-up and such, but I wonder how many games get frustrated people who had machines that for one reason or another couldn't run the game leave and sort of tip the scale especially early in. I was thinking about it since I do also kind of unconsciously look at the user review average, though I'm a bit more preemptive than most and read to see what reviews say, but how many may just see the 'mixed' review status on the first few games when the game has the most blind exposure, and pass on it for the inconveniences some had based on their own systems.

I know it's not a big deal, and there's nothing to really be done about it, it's not really a problem. But I've been contemplating the effect user reviews, especially initial reviews, can have on a game in the current Steam climate.

Pixieking

Banned
A recent game release is making me think of one unfortunate user review effect thing. There's a game I played I liked quite a bit, and everyone who's played it so far has also posted a positive review. But the reviews are right now at 75% positive or so (with so few reviews, that's considered mixed) due to a few people leaving negative reviews due to not being able to run the game because their systems were weaker than the game's recommended specs.

Yeah, I've seen this (and variations like it) quite a bit. I think the review system might benefit from technical issues being separated out from "normal" reviews, with a separate aggregate score. Things like "Uplay didn't work and this game sucks" is useful, but at the same time isn't related to the game itself. Having FPS issues noted within a review is one thing, but someone putting Thumbs Down because they couldn't run it at all, or because of third-party DRM just skews the results.

I've taken to just marking as Not Helpful almost all reviews like that.

Regginator

I wouldn't count on owning Skyrim SE very long, they'll definitely block access sooner or later.

Pixieking

Banned
It had a "Region: Europe" icon for me. That, CoD IW, and Mafia 3 have it.

They used to be great but lately they have not been getting region free keys. Just Europe.

Would this be something more related to changes that affect their sourcing model? Given that CDKeys pulls most of their keys from retail boxes, it seems like publishers are using region-specific keys in the cheaper countries which CDKeys acquires their stock from.

Or, to put it another way, yes it's CDKeys fault, but maybe the actual problem is publishers getting wise to what CDKeys do?

ezodagrom

There's quite a few problems with it right now...

They removed the controls presets (Type A, B, C) that Xenoverse 1 and the consoles versions of Xenoverse 2 have (with the current rebinding feature it's impossible to achieve the same results as those presets, since some actions are bound to other actions).
People are reporting the controls rebinding not affecting online battles or something (using defaults instead).
Transfering character from Xenoverse 1 is rather buggy.
Pre-order DLC is not working.
For some people (not everyone) the changing audio language option isn't showing.
Something more minor, but, game is not showing in people's profiles and most recent played games list.
There's probably more issues, but these are what I can recall atm.

yuraya

Finished up the first episode of Revelations 2 and it was pretty good. Not too big on the whole character switching bs but the action and setting is well done.

Kinda wish Capcom would just retire the Redfield shit already and let these characters walk off into the sunset. I mean how much more can you torture these people and throw them into these terrible situations? Every single time I swear.

Corpekata

Banned
I held off on Yomawari because of the Halloween sale. I mean, it came out like 2 days ago so I doubt it will get any discount, but hey, only waiting a few days and I have a lot of other stuff to play.

Tizoc

Finished up the first episode of Revelations 2 and it was pretty good. Not too big on the whole character switching bs but the action and setting is well done.

Kinda wish Capcom would just retire the Redfield shit already and let these characters walk off into the sunset. I mean how much more can you torture these people and throw them into these terrible situations? Every single time I swear.
Fhaning the portagonist tends to be seen as a risky move by some gaming companies

Hakkelus

Personally I feel that Steam doesn't have a chance with it's video store unless it embraces Ultraviolet. There are a couple of reasons for this - mainly because a) people with existing Ultraviolet libraries wouldn't have to re-purchase movies and b) people purchasing movies on Steam could use apps like VUDU or Flixster on their Android TVs or, hell, even web browsers to watch the movies they buy.

I refuse to buy movies from Google because they don't include this functionality. I like Steam and all, but I wouldn't ever buy a movie that's stuck in their ecosystem indefinitely.

Yeah you would.. if it was on halloween sale for 75% off!

Would this be something more related to changes that affect their sourcing model? Given that CDKeys pulls most of their keys from retail boxes, it seems like publishers are using region-specific keys in the cheaper countries which CDKeys acquires their stock from.

Or, to put it another way, yes it's CDKeys fault, but maybe the actual problem is publishers getting wise to what CDKeys do?

Basically. Whichever country CDKeys gets their supply from is using region locked keys now.

Yeah you would.. if it was on halloween sale for 75% off!
And if they had cards and badges :>

KingBroly

Banned
I think my GTA5 save got deleted somehow :\

I don't really understand how, either.

EDIT: Steam still keeps acting like I've never played any of my games before with the first time setups

Lain

I held off on Yomawari because of the Halloween sale. I mean, it came out like 2 days ago so I doubt it will get any discount, but hey, only waiting a few days and I have a lot of other stuff to play.

I'll take this chance to say that, despite the cute look, Yomawari can be quite scary. Though the first time I got to kick a rock I ended up chuckling instead of crying.

Orgen

Anyone knows if TWD Season 2 supports Steam Cloud Saves? I want to delete the game from my PC but I want to keep my save file for the upcoming Season 3. How would I do that if cloud saves are not supported?

And what's the expected release date for TWD Season 3?

Thanks!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Anyone knows if TWD Season 2 supports Steam Cloud Saves? I want to delete the game from my PC but I want to keep my save file for the upcoming Season 3. How would I do that if cloud saves are not supported?

And what's the expected release date for TWD Season 3?

Thanks!

It should show up in your library when you view it in list view - there'll be a cloud icon next to games which support cloud saves.

Wok

a) people with existing Ultraviolet libraries wouldn't have to re-purchase movies and b) people purchasing movies on Steam could use apps like VUDU or Flixster on their Android TVs or, hell, even web browsers to watch the movies they buy.

Too many words that I don't know. I feel like you are talking klingon.

It had a "Region: Europe" icon for me. That, CoD IW, and Mafia 3 have it.

They used to be great but lately they have not been getting region free keys. Just Europe.

2K games in particular have some bizarre region locking going on the last few months. A friend of mine bought the 25th Anniversary collector's edition of Civ 6 and sold me the keys for cheap. There were 3 keys for the base game, pre-order bonus and digital deluxe bonus content. I couldn't activate the digital deluxe content because the key had a different region locking scheme than the base game. It took days of bothering 2K before they actually fixed it and allowed me to redeem it. Why would you ship a game with two different sets of region locks for the base game and bonus content in the same box?

I played through episode 3 of Telltale Batman yesterday. Something annoyed me while playing it (other than the customary crashes to desktop). There's a scene where Batman talks to a reporter and tries to get her to reveal her source for a story. In the dialogs you have two ways to approach this... either you try to intimidate her or you try to convince her that it's for the greater good. Of course, there's always the third option of not actually saying anything at all during dialogs, and that's what I chose to do for that entire scene. In her dialogs she refuses to give up her source because of journalistic ethics. So she makes a big show about she can't help and starts to walk away and then Batman just goes and stands in front of her. And immediately she's all like "Oh okay, here you go, let me write down the address for you". Basically rendering everything in that scene completely pointless. Not that it really needs to be said, but if you ever want to break the illusion of choices and consequences in a Telltale game, just choose not to say anything. I doubt they even test that option to see if it makes any sort of narrative sense to continue the story like that.

About half way through the Titanfall 2 campaign and I'm mildly amused that the parkour in this game feels better than in Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It's not an entirely fair comparison because this game has jetpacks and unrealistic momentum boosts when you jump off a wallrun, but it just feels faster, more fluid and generally more fun to do here. I think part of it is because you're playing on handcrafted levels whereas Catalyst just dumped you into an open world which just didn't feel quite as focused. That game is a series of missed opportunities and sadly it has probably killed the franchise forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom