• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzgod

Would this be something more related to changes that affect their sourcing model? Given that CDKeys pulls most of their keys from retail boxes, it seems like publishers are using region-specific keys in the cheaper countries which CDKeys acquires their stock from.

Or, to put it another way, yes it's CDKeys fault, but maybe the actual problem is publishers getting wise to what CDKeys do?

Almost certainly that's the case. I just looked up Infinite Warfare and Activision have that locked up tight

You can't even gift IW if you have a cd key of it outside of your region, period, even in traditionally ROW countries

Examples:

This package can only be run in specified countries
Canada, United States

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Great Britain, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, Holy See (Vatican City State), Faroe Islands, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Aland Islands, Greenland, Gibraltar, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, XK, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), New Caledonia, Reunion, French Polynesia

Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Mexico, Montserrat, Saint Eustatius and Saba Bonaire, CW, SX, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands

Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestinian Territory, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen

Afghanistan, Guam, Marshall Islands, Philippines, American Samoa, Hong Kong, Federated States of Micronesia, Australia, India, Mongolia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Nepal, Solomon Islands, Bhutan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Brunei Darussalam, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Northern Mariana Islands, Thailand, Cambodia, Macau, Pakistan, Taiwan, Cook Islands, Malaysia, Palau, Vanuatu, Fiji, Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam, China

Vuze

I remember the time when GMG wanted to be the first store where you can trade in your 'used' digital games license for store credit. An admirable experiment, I must admit.
Yah, they had some nice experimental projects and good deals.
Nowadays they are just the bog standard key store with an annoying Google auto-translate bar lol

Vuze

Oh yeah while I'm at it.
I want to share my brother a single game but I don't want him to access age-restricted or VAC-protected games from my library.
Is there a way to do this? I stumbled across the "Family View" feature of Steam but their site was more confusing than helpful. I know how to share a complete library using Family Share but that's not really what I want.

Deques

Oh yeah while I'm at it.
I want to share my brother a single game but I don't want him to access age-restricted or VAC-protected games from my library.
Is there a way to do this? I stumbled across the "Family View" feature of Steam but their site was more confusing than helpful. I know how to share a complete library using Family Share but that's not really what I want.

Family Share is either share everything or nothing. There is no feature to only share a particular game

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Right now organizing the Halloween Sale topic, I've been writing up a lot of quick things on a number of games, but I got to thinking I can take one of two approaches. I'm using my subjective opinion to recommend a number of niche horror titles, but I've tried to give it broader strokes to include more games I even thought were just on the lower end of good since opinions are subjective, and I did think the game was good and worth playing. I've been taking that approach to give a larger selection more exposure, but maybe it'd be best if I narrow my selection more to games I personally want to recommend more, either because way underlooked or some games I thought were very good and great?

Basically I'm asking if I should make a broader selection of recommendations based off of titles but I could still recommend, or if I should narrow it to maybe a third or fourth of that of games I'd put above the rest in my personal recommendations (though it's my subjective opinion and all). What do you guys think?

Catshade

I wasn't around back then, but how did that work?

Basically like steam refunds, but you're not limited to two-hour playtime or two-week purchase maximum. However, they only give you a dollar or two in store credits, and you have to play the games through GMG's own client. No wonder why it didn't pick up.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Right now organizing the Halloween Sale topic, I've been writing up a lot of quick things on a number of games, but I got to thinking I can take one of two approaches. I'm using my subjective opinion to recommend a number of niche horror titles, but I've tried to give it broader strokes to include more games I even thought were just on the lower end of good since opinions are subjective, and I did think the game was good and worth playing. I've been taking that approach to give a larger selection more exposure, but maybe it'd be best if I narrow my selection more to games I personally want to recommend more, either because way underlooked or some games I thought were very good and great?

Basically I'm asking if I should make a broader selection of recommendations based off of titles but I could still recommend, or if I should narrow it to maybe a third or fourth of that of games I'd put above the rest in my personal recommendations (though it's my subjective opinion and all). What do you guys think?
i think Toma's approach with the indie games thread works well for recommendations. Generally I like to get a broader list of titles and look at the ones that stand out. I think its enough for you to write, I really love nightcry it's got problems but charm, rather than like get into the sound design or specifics.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i think Toma's approach with the indie games thread works well for recommendations. Generally I like to get a broader list of titles and look at the ones that stand out. I think its enough for you to write, I really love nightcry it's got problems but charm, rather than like get into the sound design or specifics.

That was my original thought, and hearing someone else say it does help clarify. But I was getting to some games where I was like, "Well, I did like this, but did I like it enough to really recommend it?" But people can think for themselves, so thank you. I'll try and go for the wider stroke approach then, I think I just needed to hear someone else's thoughts since I've been spending hours shuffling through my own to forge the list. XD;

should do a broad list but then add a note that it would be something you recommend

Lain

Highlight only what you think are the best horror games available (pictures, write-ups and the likes) and put links for the rest of the interesting stuff. Everything is subjective, I'm sure people will post and highlight other games you might have only mentioned, as it usually happens with those threads.

Nabs

Highlight only what you think are the best horror games available (pictures, write-ups and the likes) and put links for the rest of the interesting stuff. Everything is subjective, I'm sure people will post and highlight other games you might have only mentioned, as it usually happens with those threads.

That's what I was going to recommend.

Saty

https://newzoo.com/insights/article...ublic-companies-jump-22-to-34-5bn-in-h1-2016/
NEWZOO_Top25_Public_Companies_Revenue_Growth_H12016.png

Grief.exe

So I started playing Civ V last night about 10 PM. I randomly looked down at my watch when I felt my eyes getting heavy and...it was 1 AM. I can see the appeal, and I don't know even know what I'm doing.

Anyone have any good tutorial videos or should I just figure it out on my own? I got the basics.

I've linked this video for years on SteamGAF. It really helped me get a handle on the mechanics. I think you only have to watch the first 20 mins, and then you can ignore the rest if you wish.

https://youtu.be/I__9ZlOUG4E

Grief.exe

Did you not read my post? It's only three sentences fam.

I've linked this video for years on SteamGAF. It really helped me get a handle on the mechanics. I think you only have to watch the first 20 mins, and then you can ignore the rest if you wish.

https://youtu.be/I__9ZlOUG4E

There's also a clear breaking point where he says the tutorial is largely complete and he is just going to play out the game.

Wok

Did you not read my post? It's only three sentences fam.

There's also a clear breaking point where he says the tutorial is largely complete and he is just going to play out the game.

Maybe he applied the same technique and read the first 5 words and then skipped the rest.

just to be sure, there's absolutely no way red dead redemption is going to come to pc in the near future, right? i've got an itch to buy and play it again on the 360

Nillansan

ibn Saïd;221882135 said:
just to be sure, there's absolutely no way red dead redemption is going to come to pc in the near future, right? i've got an itch to buy and play it again on the 360

Anything is possible.

ibn Saïd;221882135 said:
Wouldn't say never but with RDR2 coming Fall 2017, at best it could come after that. Doubt they'll do a RDR Remaster simultaneously to release early next year either. Sucks :(

Nzyme32

ibn Saïd;221882135 said:

One thing that seems to be a recurring theme in PC gaming - never say never

The Ocean House Hotel is such a great little location.
Today's my birthday, so allow me to be generous and give away some spare Steam keys I had lying around:
Happy Birthday!

ibn Saïd;221882135 said:
Apparently, the game's code is a mess, making it extra harder to port it to PC.

I'd say it won't happen, but who knows?

BasilZero

Happy Birthday :O!

Anyways, curious if anyone seen this or this happened before

lkecOBW.png

Never seen a game having a release date labeled as "Someday" l0l

Tellaerin

Abusing systems is what we usually do, right? Buying games from other regions for cheap, maximizing price mistakes, etc. Maybe I should've just keep it to myself and let other people do it instead. There are holes in the system, and the faster people expose them to public, the better.

Anyway, I paid Skyrim for $10 after they stopped selling Legendary Editon for less than that. It's about the same price or even higher than the amount of money people paid for Legendary Edition. I have the rights for it.

Yes, that's highly probable and I would be fine by that.

A big problem with this line of thinking, at least from my POV, is that companies tend to use the sledgehammer approach when addressing these issues. Even though the people abusing the system are typically a minority, things end up getting changed to "protect" against their actions, and it's always to the detriment of everyone else. Some people are abusing an offer? Fine, we just won't offer anything like that again - "consumers" have shown that it's a mistake. Or we "need" heavier DRM. Or more onerous restrictions on consumer rights. The scammers scam, and everyone ends up paying the price.

So yeah, if a lot of people end up doing this kind of thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Beth just decides it's too much of a headache to ever do this again and starts charging for all remasters. Problem "fixed". (And for the record, I think the way Beth handles DLC pricing absolutely sucks, and that it's the real problem here. But people doing the buy-and-return on the DLC to get the HD upgrade won't drive them to fix that issue.)

Parsnip

That new NMS thread sure is something.
Some people had really high hopes for that game huh. Glad I never bought into the hype and promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom