• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmondD

D2D sent me an email saying "The Thug Life has chosen you" and it's an ad for Mafia 3. Who the fuck is writing this garbage. Fuck that company.

Hektor

I just visited Direct2Drive out of curiosity and this is an actual business run by people

qIUtMPe.png

Playing Thoth, and it's really great so far. I'd actually compare it to N++ more than another dual stick shooter. Besides the structure of the campaign (blocks of four levels), mastering the mechanics is everything much like N. You can't dodge and weave and shoot mindlessly like other shooters. You move faster when you're not shooting, and killing enemies can change the level layout, so deciding when to shoot, where you shoot from, and which enemy you shoot at, is all crucial

Corpekata

Banned
Oh so they have a history of pulling shit like this? Disgusting. I don't believe that I've ever bought anything from them.

Yeah ever since Gamefly sold them off after buying them for a couple years, they've pretty much had no notable sales or offers. Their only audience are edgelords because they fight the evil EsJayDoubleUs. And I doubt even that audience bites much given their shitty prices.

I think they saw PlayAsia do it with DoA and tried to copy them, but they don't have exclusive stuff to pander to a desperate audience like they do so nobody ends up buying anything.

Nillansan

Yeah ever since Gamefly sold them off after buying them for a couple years, they've pretty much had no notable sales or offers. Their only audience are edgelords because they fight the evil EsJayDoubleUs. And I doubt even that audience bites much given their shitty prices.

Charming. Thanks for the answer.

Been playing a bit of Aragami, I'm actually enjoying it. I have heard some negatives about boss fights but I haven't got to those yet (although I'm pretty sure I've seen one of them in a cutscene).
I was terrible at the start but as with most stealth games I'm getting faster and better the more I play.

The "I impulsively bought a Xbox One S even though I have a perfectly fine Windows 10 PC because I have no self control and like new shiny (in this case matte) things, and I already have this game that came with it" Giveaway!

ModBot said:
Instructions for The Dear Leader:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The Dear Leader, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition (W10 Store Code) -- MB-102C92E1CD59035D - Taken by Cth. 16 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition (W10 Store Code) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1475884714z1.png

Tellaerin

The "I impulsively bought a Xbox One S even though I have a perfectly fine Windows 10 PC because I have no self control and like new shiny (in this case matte) things, and I already have this game that came with it" Giveaway!

You know, I misread that as "Microsoft Windows 10 Edition" at first, and thought that was probably the most unusual giveaway I'd ever seen here.

Slime Raannnccherrr, yes!

And it leads into the best Humble Monthly of all time with Stardew Valley alone. Humble is finally back into proper form.

Nillansan

A bunch of titles were announced as exclusives to a platform that has an Alt Right piece of shit as a mascot within the span of one week and that's by a number of prominent development houses to boot. I am disappointed.

illusionary

Catching up on the afternoon... looks like I jumped onto the Humble Monthly at about the right time - I don't think that I own any of those already and a fair few of them look interesting. Next month, though... well I'm not sure how I feel about Stardew Valley just yet. I've got a month to decide, I guess!

Tomasety

Honestly all I personally expect to see from this is Valve shutting down more gambling site's API access, or possibly enacting more restrictions on who can obtain that access in the first place. It seems like a reasonable restriction to simply shut down market-based APIs completely, or to restrict them to developer-only token keys - meaning Valve would personally have to vet users requesting access to the API.

But of course doing so would essentially shut down the larger gambling sites which would have a significant impact on the marketplace which would have a significant impact on their revenue.

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) happens here.

I honestly don't expect Valve to take a radical approach on the matter. They don't want to shut down any sort of API. If they are forced to take an action I guess they will choose to restrict market API to developers although that won't fix the issue. I know at least one steamworks developer who is behind on a gambling site.

Again, I don't think anything interesting will happen. At least for now.

Nabs

Playing Thoth, and it's really great so far. I'd actually compare it to N++ more than another dual stick shooter. Besides the structure of the campaign (blocks of four levels), mastering the mechanics is everything much like N. You can't dodge and weave and shoot mindlessly like other shooters. You move faster when you're not shooting, and killing enemies can change the level layout, so deciding when to shoot, where you shoot from, and which enemy you shoot at, is all crucial

I wish there was keyboard/mouse support. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Was 7:53 upon reaching Olmec. So close to the 8min mark...
..but hey, I'm a quick shot nonetheless :p
Yup. Low Scorer was absolutely soul crushingly hard, but the game had its hooks in me. I couldn't let go. Someone mentioned that there's an online co-op modification available, if the Spelunky craving ever creeps back into you, I would love to try the modification.
You've earned my respect. Big props to you.
Coincidentally just recently a friend of mine pointed me towards Frozlunky for online coop. Sounds good but I have yet to try it out. If it works well with my friend, I'd be down for doing it with you too!

Phawx

Mass murdering KKK members in a video game has brought about interesting results.

Normally the people that roll their eyes at another brofist shoot-em-up white male power fantasy are all super excited to play *just one part of a game that features* another brofist shoot-em-up black male power fantasy.

And the people that bitterly defend games that feature mass murdering from the other crowd are ... upset that there is mass murder in a video game?

Great job to the Mafia 3 team. They've managed to make two groups of people do a complete 180 on their stance.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
where the hell in your humble bundle subscription plan is the "yo homey charge me now cause I want dat game now" button?

edit: nvm found it

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Mass murdering KKK members in a video game has brought about interesting results.

Normally the people that roll their eyes at another brofist shoot-em-up white male power fantasy are all super excited to play *just one part of a game that features* another brofist shoot-em-up black male power fantasy.

can you think about any reason why this might be the case?

Adnor

Banned
I hope they release the patch soon because I'm having a blast with Mafia 3.

Spoilers for music used during the prologue/first few hours:
Born to be Wild in a chase scene is always cool, I loved how everyone started singing I Fought the Law, but saying "I Fought the Law and the law lost" instead when they get away. And of course, the timing of Paint it Black at the end of the prologue was just perfect

rtcn63

Are you sure that these are all the same people? We might be inclined to ask for receipts.

Phawx

Are you sure that these are all the same people? We might be inclined to ask for receipts.

ask for receipts regarding only one of the groups I generalized?

I'll simplify my case to one which doesn't define yet clearly establishes the case.

Group A and Group B have effectively switched stances. My point is about cognitive dissonance. Nothing else.

Edit: Again to clarify. Group A and B are only people who could cleanly fit into them. Please disregard my previous statement which *could* include bystanders.

Edit edit: again to qualify my statement, this naturally doesn't mean 100% of those people. It's only applying to those who have had a stalwart stance on a topic and are now the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom