• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend, have you heard the good word of Originology?
I've gotta say, Originology has some great press material:
NUrJSaWl.jpg

See, that's extra funny since he's a Satanist.

Tizoc

For reference, here are the following games that Acquire (Way of Samurai 4) has developed
Tenchu_Stealth_Assassins.jpg

Various Tenchu games

Shinobido_2_cover.jpg

Shinobido, successor to Tenchu series

Holy_Invasion_Of_Privacy%2C_Badman%21_What_Did_I_Do_To_Deserve_This_Cover.jpg
What_Did_I_Do_To_Deserve_This_My_Lord_2_cover.jpg

It's like Dungeon Keeper but with the idea of protecting the villain (Badman) from the invading heroes

final_two.png

Class of Heroes, with 2 being the better game and with a PS3 ver. released IIRC

WizardryLoLS.jpg

Available on PSN at least, but you know you want this GAF.

I don't mind baby steps or if takes a while but I do hope Acquire will invest more into Steam in the future =)

Mainly because if Not Persona does well enough, Atlus might finally take notice and start working on SMT PC releases.

And it's not like "poor man's version of Game X" is always a bad thing. (See also: Briggs, Marlow.) Of all the games to create a poor man's version of, Persona should be pretty high up on the list.

Turfster

What the hell, Hatoful boyfriend doesn't have an auto play mode?
What is it with these English VNs that don't have a fucking auto play mode.
Who wants to keep clicking every single line?
Auto mode is the most basic of things, guys =p
(Note I said auto mode, not skip, which is prominently featured on every page. Why? Don't you want people to read?)

And you have a text speed slider that takes like a minute PER CHARACTER if you set it to minimum. What the fuck is the point of this?

Also, plz spellcheck your script, guys.

Deitus

What the hell, Hatoful boyfriend doesn't have an auto play mode?
What is it with these English VNs that don't have a fucking auto play mode.
Who wants to keep clicking every single line?
Auto mode is the most basic of things, guys =p
(Note I said auto mode, not skip, which is prominently featured on every page. Why? Don't you want people to read?)

Also, plz spellcheck your script, guys.

Skip mode is for multiple playthroughs. So you can skip past the parts you have already seen in the previous paths and only bother with the content exclusive to that path. No idea how Hatoful Boyfriend implemented it, but in most VNs this feature will only skip dialogue you have seen before in previous playthroughs, and still play new lines normally.

Does the game have voice acting? If not, I could see why they wouldn't bother with auto advance.

Miker

Hexcells is basically hexagonal Picross. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, because Picross is the best goddamn puzzle game ever, but it doesn't feel as unique to me because I've played so much Picross.

Turfster

Does the game have voice acting? If not, I could see why they wouldn't bother with auto advance.

Oh, I know what skip mode is for (and unlike most skip modes, this one just skips EVERYTHING, seen or unseen), it just boggles the mind they have that prominently, but no auto play mode. And even if it doesn't have voice acting, having an auto advance mode is the most basic service you provide your players.
It's not like clicking or hitting enter every single fucking line is "gameplay" or interactivity, and if you already have skip mode, it takes like 2 minutes to program in an auto mode =p

Tizoc

Skip mode is for multiple playthroughs. So you can skip past the parts you have already seen in the previous paths and only bother with the content exclusive to that path. No idea how Hatoful Boyfriend implemented it, but in most VNs this feature will only skip dialogue you have seen before in previous playthroughs, and still play new lines normally.

I would gladly pay or kickstart for the inclusion of voice acting into this game.
Namely having Norio Wakamoto's voice in it.

Deitus

Oh, I know what skip mode is for (and unlike most skip modes, this one just skips EVERYTHING, seen or unseen), it just boggles the mind they have that prominently, but no auto play mode. And even if it doesn't have voice acting, having an auto advance mode is the most basic service you provide your players.
It's not like clicking or hitting enter every single fucking line is "gameplay" or interactivity, and if you already have skip mode, it takes like 2 minutes to program in an auto mode =p

Eh, for a game without voice acting, I would find an auto mode more annoying, because it wouldn't advance at the speed I read at. It only really feels necessary in a game with voice acting, to prevent awkward pauses in dialogue.

But you're right, it's so little effort to implement, that there's really no reason not to have it as an option.

I don't know why it would just skip everything though. That sounds really dumb, and it would make doing multiple routes really annoying.

Turfster

I don't know why it would just skip everything though. That sounds really dumb, and it would make doing multiple routes really annoying.
Well, it's actually worse.
It skips stuff you haven't seen yet, but stops skipping at every scene change.
And there are many, many scene changes, so even for a multiroute Xth playthrough, you have to keep hitting the damn skip button too.

Tebura mode is useful for voiceacting-less games too, then you can just let it run and do something else in the mean time, still getting all the text and story ;)

Mind_0_Cover_Art.png

Looks like another Japanese game is now on Greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309930148

Mind Zero. This was originally released on PS Vita but is sadly mediocre-ly recieved. It's like a poor man's Persona 1 from what I recall.

Incidentally enough, this is fro Acquire who made Way of the Samurai 4.
They also made...AkibaStrip...which is releasing on PS3, PS Vita nd PS4
Akiba%27s_Trip_2_Cover.jpg
Fuck that greenlight page startled me. I had the volume high, then I hear a loud pitched woman voice all the sudden.
surprise.gif

Hexcells is basically hexagonal Picross. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, because Picross is the best goddamn puzzle game ever, but it doesn't feel as unique to me because I've played so much Picross.
I don't know what Picross is but to me it's Sudoku x Minesweeper.

Kinda bummed I missed Hexcells Plus in the indie royale bundle.

Chariot

Oh dear lord, I just had a horrible thought. I bought Dead Rising 3 with keys from the russian bear and waiting for it to activate. Now I think it's over the time, but what if it can't ever activate, because I am german and germans don't get the game naturally, so it just stays deactivated forever and ever. D:

tav7623

Haven't popped into the thread in a while so don't know if ya'll are aware of this or not but just in case thought ya'll would like to know that there is a new weekly humble bundle available. This one is for Rock, Paper, Shotgun and features World of Goo, Dungeons of Dredmor, Audio Surf, & Armageddon Empires with the tier 2 games being Amnesia: The Dark Decent, AI War: Fleet Command, and Teleglitch: Die More Edition.

Miker

I don't know what Picross is but to me it's Sudoku x Minesweeper.

Kinda bummed I missed Hexcells Plus in the indie royale bundle.

Picross is basically also Sudoku x Minesweeper, but on a square grid. If you have a DS or 3DS, try out Picross DS (preferable) or Picross e on the 3DS eShop. Then if you like it, try Picross 3D, which is an awesome twist on traditional Picross.

Or you just play in random pub servers like a normal human being. Savages.

I don't know anything other than what I have read. That's after rank 15, you are pitted against 15 and up, and it gets very frustrating, that seasoned people exploit glitches. Again, just what I read. Most of the steam threads are complaints about this stuff.

Picross is basically also Sudoku x Minesweeper, but on a square grid. If you have a DS or 3DS, try out Picross DS (preferable) or Picross e on the 3DS eShop. Then if you like it, try Picross 3D, which is an awesome twist on traditional Picross.
I think I will do just that! I remember the P1Podcast people talking it up all the time.

Myshkin

take these
(Dunno if the Millenium key grants a Steam key as well.)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Myshkin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

CAFE 0: The Drowned Mermaid -- MB-C0370C1B92C9E242 - Taken by jfredsilva. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
The Grave Digger (Desura, greenlight) -- MB-3F04C418AF5A0ACC - Taken by madjoki
Tales of Maj'Eyal -- MB-F9B4C66CABEB63F3 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Millenium - A New Hope (Desura) -- MB-2D5CDE76676F5618 - Taken by Stronginthearm
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-98D1CF84E239B96B - Taken by GrinningColossus. 3 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Laxius Force (Desura) -- MB-E347DF5ABF9171DA - Taken by WinterDemons

t1409873156z1.png

jediyoshi

I don't know anything other than what I have read. That's after rank 15, you are pitted against 15 and up, and it gets very frustrating, that seasoned people exploit glitches. Again, just what I read. Most of the steam threads are complaints about this stuff.

Just to clarify, the way MP is structured isn't ranked only. Just pop open the server list and hop in somewhere. It's the same as CSGO, ranked play is only an issue if you already care about it.

Tizoc

I want to take this opportunity to remind you that Grim Fandango is finally getting (digitally) released on PC in the near future~

Deitus

Oh dear lord, I just had a horrible thought. I bought Dead Rising 3 with keys from the russian bear and waiting for it to activate. Now I think it's over the time, but what if it can't ever activate, because I am german and germans don't get the game naturally, so it just stays deactivated forever and ever. D:

That would really suck. It does seem like the sort of thing that Germany would maybe not get unless they release a censored version though.

Could you use VPN to get around that?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my brand new copy of 999 in my hands. To be quite honest, I don't really believe the game can live up to all the hype, but I'll give it a chance anyway. After I read the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, that is.

I want to take this opportunity to remind you that Grim Fandango is finally getting (digitally) released on PC in the near future~
And I'm totally going to buy it!

Just to clarify, the way MP is structured isn't ranked only. Just pop open the server list and hop in somewhere. It's the same as CSGO, ranked play is only an issue if you already care about it.

Awesome! Thanks alot for the info. You got me back on board for it.

**And 999 can and will live up to the hype. Believe

Did Metanet actually hint at the existence of a PC version somewhere? Last I looked, I couldn't find anything to indicate that it was coming any other platform besides PS4. N+ never did find it's way to the PC either, despite eventually coming to DS and PSP.
There were a few random interviews where they implied they'd look into releasing it for different unspecified platforms when asked about PC. Nothing concrete in other words, but it's more likely now for N++ to potentially be ported over to Steam with it being much bigger nowadays than it was during N+'s heyday.

For reference, here are the following games that Acquire (Way of Samurai 4) has developed
Holy_Invasion_Of_Privacy%2C_Badman%21_What_Did_I_Do_To_Deserve_This_Cover.jpg
What_Did_I_Do_To_Deserve_This_My_Lord_2_cover.jpg

It's like Dungeon Keeper but with the idea of protecting the villain (Badman) from the invading heroes
I'd appreciate it if they ever released the first (or both combined into one game) Badman to Steam. One of the few PSP games I actually wanted to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom