• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

iosefe ->
lethal-league_gif.gif
<- me

Vlad

Hexcells is basically hexagonal Picross. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, because Picross is the best goddamn puzzle game ever, but it doesn't feel as unique to me because I've played so much Picross.

Keep playing. Hexcells is basically "easy", and Plus is where the puzzles really ramp up in difficulty, and actually get really satisfying to solve. Some of the later ones drove me nuts. For reference, it took me two hours to get all perfects on Hexcells, while Plus took me thirteen hours.

As much as I love Picross, I love how you have to combine multiple clues from different parts of the board to solve some of the harder puzzles. With Picross, you just focus on one row at a time. If there's nothing you can do in that row, you just move on to the next one. You can't do that in Hexcells Plus.

Miker

Keep playing. Hexcells is basically "easy", and Plus is where the puzzles really ramp up in difficulty, and actually get really satisfying to solve. Some of the later ones drove me nuts. For reference, it took me two hours to get all perfects on Hexcells, while Plus took me thirteen hours.

As much as I love Picross, I love how you have to combine multiple clues from different parts of the board to solve some of the harder puzzles. With Picross, you just focus on one row at a time. If there's nothing you can do in that row, you just move on to the next one. You can't do that in Hexcells Plus.

Thanks for the post! I was wondering if Hexcells was going to get tougher any time soon, and I was wondering if Hexcells Plus was worth it. I'll try and hunt down a copy somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say Picross needs to be played row-by-row, and that looking all over the board can really help, just like in Hexcells.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gamebreaking Glitch in GTA4 which is kinda stupid that Rockstar never fixed, but easy to get around, I guess.

I still don't like GTA4. But at least I finished it again so I can get ready for BoGT and tLaD for Stallion...

Vlad

Thanks for the post! I was wondering if Hexcells was going to get tougher any time soon, and I was wondering if Hexcells Plus was worth it. I'll try and hunt down a copy somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say Picross needs to be played row-by-row, and that looking all over the board can really help, just like in Hexcells.

Well, it doesn't need to be played that way, but it's possible. I finished all the puzzles in Picross DS that way, as it ended up being a lot faster than just scanning around the board randomly. I tried playing that way in Hexcells Plus, and it resulted in some serious frustration before I realized that I had to combine some of the row clues and "adjacent cell" clues in some really clever ways.

Miker

Well, it doesn't need to be played that way, but it's possible. I finished all the puzzles in Picross DS that way, as it ended up being a lot faster than just scanning around the board randomly. I tried playing that way in Hexcells Plus, and it resulted in some serious frustration before I realized that I had to combine some of the row clues and "adjacent cell" clues in some really clever ways.

Yeah, I took a look at some of the puzzles from Hexcells Plus on its Steam page and it looks like the puzzles escalate pretty quickly.

Also, I mostly bought Hexcells for my girlfriend, who loves Picross and other puzzle games. I linked her your previous post, and she noticed you had a Rhythm Heaven avatar. Way to represent awesome/obscure Nintendo franchises in the Steam thread!

DogMeat77

I won this game earlier today. I would never have bought it so early otherwise. I have now played it for about two hours now. It is awesome! I can't get the menu music out of my head. This game is seriously a lot of fun.More of you need to get this game. Paying back my good fortune from earlier. Good luck!

Nice. I keep hearing people say good things about this. I'll give it a go!

Vlad

Yeah, I took a look at some of the puzzles from Hexcells Plus on its Steam page and it looks like the puzzles escalate pretty quickly.

You have no idea. One thing that it'd be nice if they'd add was the mid-level save feature from Infinite. The one thing that bugged me about Plus was that I'd spend a LONG time working on just trying to find a loose thread to pull on on one of the more gigantic puzzles, then be mentally exhausted by the time I finally found it. I ended up just taking screenshots of puzzles mid-completion, so I could go back and re-fill in the parts I had already completed. Sure, it was a pain to do, but it was better than figuring out the first quarter of the puzzle for the 10th time.

Also, I mostly bought Hexcells for my girlfriend, who loves Picross and other puzzle games. I linked her your previous post, and she noticed you had a Rhythm Heaven avatar. Way to represent awesome/obscure Nintendo franchises in the Steam thread!

Yeah, it's a great series, even though I've liked certain aspects of it less as the series progressed (they never did recapture the greatness of the drum minigame from the first one). Not only is my avatar on here RH related, but my Minecraft skin as well:

JvWwK1g.png

Well I'm going to sleep now steamgaf, sorry I haven't posted much. I've been playing Fire Emblem lately. Fredrick is a monster and I just recently found out I shouldn't be letting him kill everyone cause he's an exp drain... well at least I'm only up to chapter 4, just gotta keep him on the sidelines i guess.

The link to Stride The Last of Us Tournament. It's first team to get to 2 wins. His team is ahead in game 1 right now.

I like you're new avatar. :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey everyone just a heads up that I'm going to be moving over the next 5 day and will have very limited access to internet. If anyone runs into any issues with Enhanced Steam or Idle Master or anything else you want to bring to my attention, feel free to PM me, email me, or send me a message on Steam. Sadly I won't have time to check in and read up on the thread like I normally do, so I hope you guys have a kick ass time with Dead Rising 3 and Hatoful Boyfriend which seems to be what all the cool kids are playing these days.

inm8num2

Hey everyone just a heads up that I'm going to be moving over the next 5 day and will have very limited access to internet. If anyone runs into any issues with Enhanced Steam or Idle Master or anything else you want to bring to my attention, feel free to PM me, email me, or send me a message on Steam. Sadly I won't have time to check in and read up on the thread like I normally do, so I hope you guys have a kick ass time with Dead Rising 3 and Hatoful Boyfriend which seems to be what all the cool kids are playing these days.

Good luck with your move, jshackles.

Eternia

Steamworks added.
Hooray! So long GFWL.

Hope you have a smooth transition to your new home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But where did the key come from? I believe Valve have previously mass-removed games from people's libraries when keys were found to have come from other regions and then sold to online retailers elsewhere. Perhaps someone like JaseC could correct me?

Valve only revokes a key if requested by the publisher or the actual key owner disputes it with support and provides sufficient evidence to prove ownership. There have only been two mass removals in the history of Steam: Orange Box (Valve's decision, obviously) and Modern Warfare 2 (Acti's decision; presumably affected only those who played the MP as I still have my copy).

it kind of scares me a little how addicted i've become to upping my steam game count the past few months

I spend more time buying games than playing them sometimes

what is it that's so addicting about upping a game collection when I only go through maybe like 1 game a month or something

ronan36rcc.jpg

When trying to log in, I've been getting this for the past 7 hours now:

80696db9dc9f8ef960959d2cee05fa61.png

I've retried Steam, quit and restarted Steam, ended the process, and even restarted my entire computer trying to get it to log in.

Origin connects just fine, as do Skype, Google Chrome, Mibbit, and the World of Tanks and Warplanes launchers. This problem seemed to start after I force shut down my computer and started it back up again. Any idea how I can fix this?

I've retried Steam, quit and restarted Steam, ended the process, and even restarted my entire computer trying to get it to log in.

Origin connects just fine, as do Skype, Google Chrome, Mibbit, and the World of Tanks and Warplanes launchers. This problem seemed to start after I force shut down my computer and started it back up again. Any idea how I can fix this?

go to steam folder and delete clientregistery.blob . Then reconnect, it should work now.

Anustart

Anyone adept at multi-monitor set ups? Mines ass backwards and I don't want to re-position my screens. I scroll right to get to the left screen, and left to get back to main screen. Is there a way to flip this?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Best of luck.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Delete everything but Steam.exe and the steamapps and userdata folders, then run the exe; this will essentially reinstall Steam. If that doesn't work, then back up your steamapps and userdata folders, uninstall Steam, then reinstall it to a different directory (e.g. D:\Games\Steam2 rather than D:\Games\Steam; you can rename it after, once Steam starts working again). The latter shouldn't be necessary but I've had to do it once before for some bizarre reason.

iosefe

Anyone adept at multi-monitor set ups? Mines ass backwards and I don't want to re-position my screens. I scroll right to get to the left screen, and left to get back to main screen. Is there a way to flip this?

if AMD, the CCC has a drag and drop system

Delete everything but Steam.exe and the steamapps and userdata folders, then run the exe; this will essentially reinstall Steam. If that doesn't work, then back up your steamapps and userdata folders, uninstall Steam, then reinstall it to a different directory (e.g. D:\Games\Steam2 rather than D:\Games\Steam; you can rename it after, once Steam starts working again). The latter shouldn't be necessary but I've had to do it once before for some bizarre reason.

Deleting clientregistery.blob should be enough: it is where steam stores your info and gets ****** up many times. Deleting it only will solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom