• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Guess I'll hold out longer in this case ^^;

Just gonna check up on The Maw later today and if it interests me I'll get with a Star Wars Pinball FX2 table.

How long does this clearing of safe houses take.

No longer than 3 minutes.
You just kill the zombies occupying and thats it.
It's more work to get to a safe house than clear it.

zkylon

zkylewd
tits getting pretty cool at last chapter

i'm still not in love with the game but it has it's moments. i wish it just was more consistently interesting and that it kept a roster for more than a few hours.

I wish it looked like this:

ifk8gXKIAnwVf.gif

I wish the whole game looked like this but I know it's not feasible. :( I'm ok with how it's shaping up though.
they totally should've anime'd it, 2d all that shit

tho those naruto games get pretty fucking close so it could still be 3d

Jawmuncher

Thanks for the advice I will definitely do that. I assume this is for fast travel or spawn points when dying?

There's no fast travel in DR3 :X
Saving unless youre on nightmare is automatic so you don't have to worry about that.

The benefit to safe houses are that you can change your clothes and items there.
Whatever you pick up and wear will be available at the safe house.
Thus you can always prepare for missions there rather than run around the whole city looking for what you want.

saunderez

There's no fast travel in DR3 :X
Saving unless youre on nightmare is automatic so you don't have to worry about that.

The benefit to safe houses are that you can change your clothes and items there.
Whatever you pick up and wear will be available at the safe house.
Thus you can always prepare for missions there rather than run around the whole city looking for what you want.

Ah ok good to know, thanks.

Strider

Today was not a good day.

I deranked in CS:GO and lost my Nova star :(

Then I was blessed with this...

6Svqk6y.png

Terrible Terrible day :(

Tizoc

1 Hour til GAF crashes....
As much as I'd love to discuss the Sony TGS thingy, the GAF thread is just...crazy.

zkylon

zkylewd
today i got pretty bad sunburns and a spider walked on my arm

not the bestest of days :I

edit: also my friend bought like the worst beer ever lawl fml

rico btw was it you that told me that last hour of beyond two souls was super good? i can't remember who was :/

I don't think so, we had a discussion about Beyond where I praised parts of it but I don't remember discussing the ending(s). I think the last act as a whole is well-paced, although the way the epilogues split off is a bit sudden depending on the final choices you make. Still, most take into account the choices you made throughout the game even if it's just minor alterations.

People say the moba crowd is generally unpleasant, but holy shit what is up with the people that play Chivalry. I don't think random players can be trusted with voice commands or friendly fire. Just as shitty as the people in Counter Strike who knife you in the back at the start of a round but get no penalty because they didn't kill.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think so, we had a discussion about Beyond where I praised parts of it but I don't remember discussing the ending(s). I think the last act as a whole is well-paced, although the way the epilogues split off is a bit sudden depending on the final choices you make. Still, most take into account the choices you made throughout the game even if it's just minor alterations.

hmm yeah, damn, i really want that person to give me a rundown of what was so good about that final act, specially since in my experience it was actually pretty terrible heh

i feel like that game is so david cage it's hilarious, lots of good ideas crashed and burned in glorious spectacle, pretty fun but nothing i can take seriously at all.

too bad, tho i can say it was a pretty entertaining game in its own weird way of uncanny valleys and out-of-nowhere rape scenes and general david-cage's-a-creep-unpleasantness.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To help lower the chances of those who have entered already, re-posting my Evil Within giveaway. Know the game is region locked, but this only applies to a few countries (bought from the US).

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dusk Golem, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
The Evil Within (Not available in Eastern Europe, South America, Russia, some Asian countries) -- MB-7B5A47BE6241A2AF - Taken by r3n4ud. 163 entrants total.

t1409603793z1.png

People say the moba crowd is generally unpleasant, but holy shit what is up with the people that play Chivalry. I don't think random players can be trusted with voice commands or friendly fire. Just as shitty as the people in Counter Strike who knife you in the back at the start of a round but get no penalty because they didn't kill.

Multiplayer in general sucks in pubs. Unless you know who you are playing with, odds are some jerk will ruin the game. Doesn't matter the game.

too bad, tho i can say it was a pretty entertaining game in its own weird way of uncanny valleys and out-of-nowhere rape scenes and general david-cage's-a-creep-unpleasantness.

The attempted assault isn't really out of nowhere, if you watch the body language of the guys at the pub you can tell something is up and if you listen as Aiden you can hear them conspire throughout the scene. Not to mention it's completely avoidable.

Jawmuncher

And your XBONE experience... will that apply to "real" Dead Rising mode?

Yeah you still want to do that even on Nightmare mode.
Since you still have access to items there. It's just more restrictive with how much you can get.
Also because they're sure fire save points as well rather than having to find port a johns.

Tizoc

To help lower the chances of those who have entered already, re-posting my Evil Within giveaway. Know the game is region locked, but this only applies to a few countries (bought from the US).

Great giveaway and good luck to participants =)

I'm pretty sure this'll redeem fine in my region (I could redeem Bully and Spec Ops just fine and those aren't in my region), but this is a game my brother would be interested in and I'm tempting him to get the PS3 ver. for that traditional Resident Evil experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
The attempted assault isn't really out of nowhere, if you watch the body language of the guys at the pub you can tell something is up and if you listen as Aiden you can hear them conspire throughout the scene. Not to mention it's completely avoidable.

yea i mean it's not specially subtle how they approach it but just saying the scene itself is like super random

like unless i'm missing something that's like the seediest not-fit-for-teenagers bar ever, i guess jodie's "friends" set her up for her to go to creepy rapist bar or something but that combination of mega-evil teenager friends and like rapetown seems super crazy to me lol

like to me it seemed like a random scene to make you uncomfortable. sometimes i get creeped out at how david cage sets up women-men interactions. like they're not all rapes or whatever but there's like a lot more possibility-of-abuse than i think it's healthy lol

Eternia

So speaking about buying Lethal League, does anyone want to split a 4-pack? There's one listing on TF2 Outpost for 9 keys + 3 refined which would put it slightly under 2 keys and 1 Tour of Duty ticket per person (no Paypal, sorry).

Lethal League 4-Pack

1. Eternia

Edit: Maybe it was bad timing but I made a convoluted deal and got what I wanted anyways! :)

The waiting for ANY kind of news about MGSV PP and GZ on Steam isn't letting me sleep at night.
Kojima just needs to tell us a date, a price or show a video.
Just that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Being a woman is pretty tough.
no need to tell me but imo in david cage's games this shit always comes off just like a weird morbid creepiness, not necessarily like it's got too much sympathy for the plight of girls everywhere

that's how i've absorbed all his games at least

like to me beyond two souls is a pretty tragic game to be a failure because jodie's actually a very interesting character in that she's a strong female character without being an emotionless dude with boobs. like she's not bayonetta, she cries and is miserable and is all like "life sucks yo" which i find pretty cool as it actually sets the stage for her to fight trough it. like i would fucking love to play as a teenage girl and have all the teenage girl frustrations and depression and shit, that's super interesting to me

but then the game's what it is and you know, it just doesn't work

i found ellie from the last of us to be a million times more effective because the writing in last of us is actually pretty darned good, tho that game has a number of problems too

Morning fellas, new thread and all that.
Did I miss anything?
Nice thread title btw ;)
About 35mins left for Sony's pre-TGS show which is going to be live-streamed.
--
Wrote a couple more reviews.
One Way Heroics: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/266210/
Batman: Arkham Origins: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/209000/
Both recommended, though admittedly my reasoning for recommending Arkham Origins is a bit suspect.
I always upvote gaf reviews.

Thanks a lot Shadow for The Banner Saga, you are very generous, I've been meaning to try that game for a while, read a lot of positive comments from gaffers about it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks a lot Shadow for The Banner Saga, you are very generous, I've been meaning to try that game for a while, read a lot of positive comments from gaffers about it.

i'm envious of everyone that gets to play the banner saga after they released "we fucked the final boss up" patch

man i feel like my opinion of that game would've been twice as positive if it didn't have such a terrible last impression on me with that pre-patch bullshit boss fight :/

other than that it's got some pretty glaring design mistakes but it's a pretty cool game overall. the mood of that game is pretty fucking amazing

no need to tell me but imo in david cage's games this shit always comes off just like a weird morbid creepiness, not necessarily like it's got too much sympathy for the plight of girls everywhere

that's how i've absorbed all his games at least

like to me beyond two souls is a pretty tragic game to be a failure because jodie's actually a very interesting character in that she's a strong female character without being an emotionless dude with boobs. like she's not bayonetta, she cries and is miserable and is all like "life sucks yo" which i find pretty cool as it actually sets the stage for her to fight trough it. like i would fucking love to play as a teenage girl and have all the teenage girl frustrations and depression and shit, that's super interesting to me

but then the game's what it is and you know, it just doesn't work

i found ellie from the last of us to be a million times more effective because the writing in last of us is actually pretty darned good, tho that game has a number of problems too

I didn't really get that impression at all, the only other thing I can think of is the strip scene in Heavy Rain which is something I could easily see transpiring. You can also be drugged via drink but again that's a pretty common worry for women so its inclusion wasn't really creepy.

And you do play as Jodie as a teenager at multiple occasions and see her go through her "rebellious" stage and deal with the emotions around her confinement. The bit where you go to the bar is completely avoidable, and you just end up spending time with Cole and talk things out. I think it does a pretty good job of developing Jodie as a character, especially in regards to how your actions as Aiden affect her outlook. Of course certain elements have that typical Cage "flair" that disrupts things with tonal shifts(ie, the military stuff/flashforward at ending) but for the most part it was a nice step forward for Quantic Dream. Cage won't be the lead writer on the next game, so I'm interested to see where things go.

Volimar

i'm envious of everyone that gets to play the banner saga after they released "we fucked the final boss up" patch

man i feel like my opinion of that game would've been twice as positive if it didn't have such a terrible last impression on me with that pre-patch bullshit boss fight :/

other than that it's got some pretty glaring design mistakes but it's a pretty cool game overall. the mood of that game is pretty fucking amazing

How did they fuck up the final boss fight? Spoiler tag it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom