• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did they fuck up the final boss fight? Spoiler tag it.

I played it at launch and I don't remember it being too bad, although I had a pretty good team set up. Remember there being something unclear in the second part, but I got through it without too many issues.

Ending itself is really silly though.

Mono

Looks like I was less rusty at Sonic Racing than I thought. :x

image.php

Muscle memory!

zkylon

zkylewd
What was the boss like pre patch?
How did they fuck up the final boss fight? Spoiler tag it.

since i've been asked to spoilertag it:
basically two fights in a row with no heals in between them, the second of them with a guy that two shots anyone on your party and heals every turn. and regular enemies too ofc

it really soured up the game for me cos if you lose i think it was both fights again (first one was really easy but still) and it felt like bullshit every time, not fun at all :/

what's sad is that they patched it like two weeks after i beat it lol

other than that there are very big and i mean big issues with the game but nothing that should ruin the game for you. i'd advice playing it on normal and not expecting the tactical game of a lifetime, but just an unbelievably pretty final fantasy tactics crossed with oregon trail weird thingie. music's also really really good

production values wise that game is unbelievable

I didn't really get that impression at all, the only other thing I can think of is the strip scene in Heavy Rain which is something I could easily see transpiring. You can also be drugged via drink but again that's a pretty common worry for women so its inclusion wasn't really creepy.

And you do play as Jodie as a teenager at multiple occasions and see her go through her "rebellious" stage and deal with the emotions around her confinement. The bit where you go to the bar is completely avoidable, and you just end up spending time with Cole and talk things out.
guess this stuff is pretty personal, i was playing it with two other people and we all kinda had a laugh at it because of how excessive it felt. a bit like the wtf why are you trying to drill my vagina thing in heavy rain, just like you can imply abuse without like throwing me on the pool table, have some subtlety or something

specially cos then it became some weird minigame of revenge murdering evil rapists

but yea i enjoy where beyond two souls tries to go i just don't think it ends up saying anything to me because cia and weird racist characters and infraworld just get in the way too much for me to appreciate it

i know the game resonated pretty well with women so i guess there's something there but the girl i was playing it with wasn't too into it :/

I played it at launch and I don't remember it being too bad, although I had a pretty good team set up. Remember there being something unclear in the second part, but I got through it without too many issues.

Ending itself is really silly though.
the "unclear thing" isn't specially bad, really, it's just that the fight was set up in a pretty brutal manner and it was like a very steep difficulty jump

and i was pretty prepared for that fight, i was doing the "let your shitty soldiers deal the killing blow to get exp" thing with everyone and everything

Mono

Well, I did beat everything on S-Class, so I guess that counts for something. If it makes you guys feel any better, I still hardly place first in regular matchmaking races. There're dudes way meaner than me.

That's awesome; I can barely get in the top 3 in B class right now!

That's pretty hardcore, omg. It seems like a polished enough game to get into competitively like that!

Ozium

Well, I did beat everything on S-Class, so I guess that counts for something. If it makes you guys feel any better, I still hardly place first in regular matchmaking races. There're dudes way meaner than me.

The only time I've ever played Sanic Transfarmed was when a friend got it for PS3 and I went over and played it for the first time and kicked the shit out of 3 other ppl that had been playing for a week..

I think that's why I haven't played it since.. is there a really a reason to?

Shadownet

Banned
Sleeping Dogs
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
DYAD
Alan Wake
Dirt 3
Dungeon Siege III
Darksiders 1 & 2
Titan Quest Gold Edition
Supreme Commander Gold Edition
Just Cause 2

The guy I bought games from have these for sale. If you want any of these. It's $10 for 2. He can only do $10 since he want PSN cards. Which you can buy the digital code on Amazon.com and give him the code. Then he'll give you the keys.

Volimar

since i've been asked to spoilertag it:
basically two fights in a row with no heals in between them, the second of them with a guy that two shots anyone on your party and heals every turn. and regular enemies too ofc

it really soured up the game for me cos if you lose i think it was both fights again (first one was really easy but still) and it felt like bullshit every time, not fun at all :/

what's sad is that they patched it like two weeks after i beat it lol

other than that there are very big and i mean big issues with the game but nothing that should ruin the game for you. i'd advice playing it on normal and not expecting the tactical game of a lifetime, but just an unbelievably pretty final fantasy tactics crossed with oregon trail weird thingie. music's also really really good

production values wise that game is unbelievable

Oh. Yeah it was a rough fight, but I got through okay. Loved The Banner Saga.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it does a pretty good job of developing Jodie as a character, especially in regards to how your actions as Aiden affect her outlook. Of course certain elements have that typical Cage "flair" that disrupts things with tonal shifts(ie, the military stuff/flashforward at ending) but for the most part it was a nice step forward for Quantic Dream. Cage won't be the lead writer on the next game, so I'm interested to see where things go.
oh i missed your edit

personally it was the game i liked the least by them but actually the one i think that had the best characters. kinda weird now that i think about it

i didn't like the find the white dot gameplay at all and i didn't like some weird story things that happened (
i told cole to fuck off like 20 times and jodie still kissed him at the magic belts scene and then he was still an end-game option
) and i really didn't appreciate the pacing whatsoever (specially the random military stuff). i felt i wasn't in control of the story in the way i was in heavy rain, and i don't like that at all, i feel that's regressive and unnecessary.

like i always say with david cage games, i think david cage's a crazy man that can't write for shit but i love the fact that he's able to find funding for his crazy games that have sex scenes and people crying and other fun stuff. but yea, he needs to be a lot more hands off with the script in particular, let it be written by a native english speaker with a more conservative style that has some interest in thematic cohesiveness lol

but yea for me particularly removing granularity for gameplay will almost always elicit a negative response and i didn't like the whole white dot thing whatsoever

This might be a dumb question, but when I click on "View All Achievements" for several of my games on Steam, it shows all of the ones I've gotten but only up to 7 or 8 of the ones I haven't. It shows everything if I look at Global Achievements. Any idea why it's doing this? Is there some kind of setting I've missed?

P.S. this is a lovely thread.
hidden cheevos

for like spoilers and easter eggs and shit

mannerbot

This might be a dumb question, but when I click on "View All Achievements" for several of my games on Steam, it shows all of the ones I've gotten but only up to 7 or 8 of the ones I haven't. It shows everything if I look at Global Achievements. Any idea why it's doing this? Is there some kind of setting I've missed?

It's possible that the ones that aren't showing up are hidden achievements because they spoil the story (or just for fun).

Same thing happens to me, I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it though.

Corpekata

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Corpekata, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
NBA 2k14 -- MB-06365D5EDFB61A20 - Taken by Shalashaska. 13 entrants total.

t1409562215z1.png

Take your basketball and shoot for a home run in the other team's endzone!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Sounds like hidden achievements to me, those don't show up on the normal achievement list so they don't end up spoiled. Not everyone decides to use the feature though.

By the way, you should come 'round more often, you <3

You can also be drugged via drink but again that's a pretty common worry for women so its inclusion wasn't really creepy.

My wife watched my playthrough of Heavy Rain and when the guy offered me the drink I drank from the glass. My wife immediately says, "Wow, how stupid are you?" "I was trying to be polite." "Well you obviously got drugged. That's one important rule with women. Never drink something from a stranger." Lesson learned.

Khronico

I just spent like 2 hours basically playing dress up with my followers in Skyrim. Now all of them have armor and weapon sets that match their personality and/or job in life. Not only that, I made sure to clear their inventories of misc junk so they only had their essentials (weapons, food, warm clothing). They don't even need food or warm clothing, but I still did it.

I.... I kinda had a lot of fun doing that too.

zkylon

zkylewd
My wife watched my playthrough of Heavy Rain and when the guy offered me the drink I drank from the glass. My wife immediately says, "Wow, how stupid are you?" "I was trying to be polite." "Well you obviously got drugged. That's one important rule with women. Never drink something from a stranger." Lesson learned.
yea that scene in particular was super telegraphed, i was kinda hoping quantic dream would actually maybe challenge the rapist biker bar thing and actually put you in an uncomfortable position but in the end be just a false alarm

i'm personally someone that loves the more subtle approach to this stuff so yea i kinda fell for it too, tho i don't think i took the drink, i think i told the guy to fuck off and he threw me over the pool table.

i think my problem with that scene is that it's just too hamfisted, it's not telling me anything i don't know, it wasn't a lesson learned to me and for me it just felt gratuitous.

Ozium

La Mulana-EX on Vita just shown on the sony conference I wonder if anything is added and if so, if it will come to Steam

Is Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate worth playing?

Do you like metroidvania? Do you like Batman?

If you answered yes to both, then yes, it's certainly worth playing. But a few things to keep in mind...

1. Buy it when it's on sale for $5. I enjoyed the game enough, but I wouldn't pay $20 for it.
  2. Don't expect it to be like the rest of the series. It's similar in a handful of ways, but it's still an entirely different game.
  3. The controls (I played with a 360 controller) can be absolute garbage at times. Especially dropping off ledges.
  4. Some of the puzzles aren't all that intuitive. You might have to hit up Google once or twice.
  5. If you're a completionist, you'll have to play 3 times to finish the game entirely. As a completionist myself, this really fucking annoys me.

Other than those few things, it's not a bad game. Not amazing either, but not bad.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
David Cage needs like a female editor or someone who can actually write female characters. I should RedBox Beyond:Two Souls.

I didn't know he won a BAFTA for Heavy Rain. Huh.
Also, how much better are the BAFTA's than something like the VGA's (cringe)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I see that NBA giveaway and I realize, I have not played a PC sports game since I bought Tiger Woods 2007 lol.

Not entering the giveaway, but I thought it was interesting.

Been playing sports on consoles :p

Is Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate worth playing?

Only if you're really into Batman. The Arkham games are probably my favourite series of the last decade and I got burnt out on Blackgate after a handful of hours. It's not great, but if you can get it around $5 then it's not terrible.

iosefe

anyone know how well the steam versions of these games run?

KOTOR 1+2
The orange box
the last remnant

KOTOR 1+2: always ran pretty well i think.
The orange box: source engine, so yeah
the last remnant: great on Nvidia, about as good on modern AMD cards

zkylon

zkylewd
David Cage needs like a female editor or someone who can actually write female characters. I should RedBox Beyond:Two Souls.
i don't think it's female characters, specially since jodie's actually pretty decent.

he has huge issues in going super overboard with random shit like random mayan ais and cia missions, and also his stories end up suffering from being non-videogame stories told in a non-videogame way but actually still being held to videogame tropes like needing to fight a "final boss" or be padded to have a videogame worthy length

other than that i'd say jodie's character was a success and some of the supporting cast was a success too, tho all of one have a lot of bumps in the road.

in general he needs to stop writing, stop directing and just create. be a producer, come up with the idea, find the hook and get the game made. he's good at that. leave the writing and the directing to more capable people

I didn't know he won a BAFTA for Heavy Rain. Huh.
Also, how much better are the BAFTA's than something like the VGA's (cringe)
lol yea oh god

150 games and nothing I wanna play. What is wrong with me.
i bet u have never played mount & blade warband

play mount & blade warband

Haunted

I caught myself not clicking on the mount and blade logo because I wasn't in the mood for kb/m.

Gimme that steam controller, valve!

Kaper

anyone know how well the steam versions of these games run?

KOTOR 1+2
The orange box
mass effect 1
the last remnant

I had no issues with ME1 and TLR, they were very smooth. When a friend of mine was playing through kotor 2 he complained about constant crashes. YMMV, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom