• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

I saw everyone else buying Binding of Isaac Rebirth and I accidentally ended up buying it too. I don't have time for this, I've got tons of work to do... ah well!

YOOOOO BOI in November im hyped.

Alright so before I start The Witcher's I thought I'd get some of my backlog done before another RPG engulfs my already limited time so I thought I'd finally get around to beating Portal 2. Its fucking great: Stephen Merchant is awesome, it's hilarious, and the mechanics are more fun than ever. My only problem is how short I assume it to be. I just
replaced glados with wheatley and have been introduced to the blue goop mechanic
and I imagine it's close to being over. So far I've only been playing for like three hours. I do still have co-op to go so maybe that'll pad my time out. At least I waited to buy it a couple weeks ago when it was on sale. Then again, I guess it'd get kinda stale if it was super long and I did get it for super cheap so I shouldn't be complaining. Idk just giving my thoughts I guess.

Also if anybody wants to do co-op together let me know :D

Salsa

oh I'm actually not on the latest Nvidia drivers. . now I'm scared to update em since performance has been okay for me..

rtcn63

I missed hunting for OJ.

tumblr_m0dc5fU0xn1qcnfnao1_500.gif

I'm genuinely surprised that GFWL wasn't accidentally included in DR3. I expected an iffy port job from some of the Japanese newbies, but this... hope they remedy it soon.

Salsa

I mean considering how it runs on older drivers I'm pretty confident they can get this to an alright state with a newer batch

game is totally playable peeps

Lomax

I see what you're all saying, and I can concede that my argument, at it's core, is kind of ridiculous. The bigger point I'm trying to convey (and seemingly failing to do so, eloquently) is a concern more for the future of games, with this sort of practice.

If the previous game is as broken as you made it out to be, and their goal was to fix it, then they should have fixed it, and released a patch. It's not unheard of for devs to release huge overhauls, for free, as a patch. If their goal was to just re-release the game (which is what looks to be the actual case) just to make some more money, that's more or less the reason I take issue with this release.

I'm feeling burned by a lot of these recent unnecessary Director's Cuts/Remastered/Enhanced/STCE releases. They're all (mostly) glorified patches. And people are actually buying them, condoning the practice. Deus Ex (even though they sold it for dirt cheap, all things considered), Q.U.B.E, Whispered World, Guacamelee, etc. It's just getting out of hand, and in this day and age of DLC, if you're going to hold a patch hostage behind new content, it should at the very least be as DLC.

You're saying this is worse than EA slapping a new year on each iteration of Madden instead of selling new rosters as DLC? You can only get "burned" by something that is misleading about what it offers and somehow tricks you into overpaying. If you had followed the development of BoI:Rebirth even a tiny bit, you'd understand how foolish your argument is. People want improvements and iterations of the games they love as technology progresses. People want modern versions of games they loved (Kickstarter shows just how much). Nothing spawns for free out of midair, it takes development time and resources. If you don't think the price something is offered at is worth it, then shockingly enough, there will be a sale eventually. If you think we are better off as gamers if these things just didn't exist, well, that's pretty selfish really.

Oh, and as for your earlier comment about how everything in BoI "had been done before," yes, elements had, but combining them into a package that was so playable and addictive hadn't been done before, and few enough games even try to do the Zelda style gameplay as it is. There's a reason people play it for hundreds of hours, it's because it's special and it works. It's like the people who mock Skyrim for being derivative and boring. For many people the game is engrossing and fun, which is why it sits atop plenty of "best of" lists, in spite of valid criticisms. Not every game appeals to every person, but anyone who applies honest judgement can see that some games have an appeal that is unique and above others. Iteration and refinement are just as valid of creative tools as originality, and fun trumps all else.

Seanspeed

Banned
I went to this Digital Revolution gallery in London today(which was really awesome) and they had this indie game center where people could try out a bunch of games.

Well, they had Spelunky on hand. I'd never played it, but knew it was going to be uh...fairly difficult. And yea, it was. I died several times within like 30 seconds. Funny thing was, the game gives a death counter when you die and I saw it had like 3820 deaths and ZERO kills! lol I managed to kill two creatures and was the apparently the first to do so out of 3820 attempts. Crazy.

And later on the way out, walking by, I saw like a 7 year old girl or something playing it. She wasn't exactly ripping through it, but she was at least avoiding some of the traps and enemies, which apparently nobody else was able to do.

DocSeuss

Awesome. In for System Shock 2.

Have heard very good things about that game and the original Deus Ex, but it's only since about a few weeks ago that my interest has peeked enough to consider buying the games and actually playing them.
- Deus Ex I bought last month for cheap at GMG.
- Glad I can now get System Shock 2 for a decent price as well!

System Shock 2 is my favorite video game.

Here's the OT.

Lomax

I honestly can't tell if this is a real Greenlight submission or just some guy putting random games up on Greenlight.

Funnily enough their forum has a bunch of suggestions to put it on Greenlight, so I guess they did. Clearly Steam needs to catch up with the Windows App Store:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/school-of-dragons/05d6c2a0-7a84-4f3d-a1c3-f7fa45d34fb4

what's the probability of a Strategy First game getting bundled?
(Hippocampus: The White Sofa)

100%, it was bundled twice while on Greenlight and almost certainly will be again.

Pachimari

Man, I give up.

Can't pair my Dual Shock 4 controller wirelessly with my bluetooth device.

Ugh.

Edit:
No seriously, I'm not gonna give up.

Just connected it again, and it works wired but is recognized as "Xbox 360 controller for Windows" in "devices and printers".

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I knew it was a real game since I googled it, but I meant I wasn't sure if it was from someone actually affiliated with the game :p

Funnily enough their forum has a bunch of suggestions to put it on Greenlight, so I guess they did. Clearly Steam needs to catch up with the Windows App Store:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/school-of-dragons/05d6c2a0-7a84-4f3d-a1c3-f7fa45d34fb4

Well, I guess it is real then.

Did we bring up Wolfe at all in this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kadj3vxKqm0

It's made by Grin.
Though not the same grin I loved in the past.
It's already been greenlighted. There was gameplay the other day on twitch.tv

I like the concept, at least. I'd like to see more gameplay of it though.

Edit: Found it. Looks okay.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm gonna save this image and everytime somebody claims people on steam have a bad taste I'm gonna throw this in their face and laugh

emxwbtxo.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Mmh, so someone asked more or less this question earlier but I didn't see any answer for it. Well it's not really the same question but near enough.
With the soon to be released open world console racers forza horizon 2 and driveclub (not open world afaik but well), what are my options as a primary pc gamer ?
Burnout Paradise, The Crew, maybe the last two NFS (are they open world ?), the two Test drive unlimited (are the servers even up anymore ?), Fuel...
Am I missing any ?

And let's say I don't buy a console because I won't be able to pay 60$ a pop, let's say that we forget the open world aspect, what are the great recent arcady or sim-light driving games ?
I'd go with Driver: San Francisco. It's a great game that reminded me of Midtown Madness, and the shift mechanic is awesome.

I'm gonna save this image and everytime somebody claims people on steam have a bad taste I'm gonna throw this in their face and laugh

emxwbtxo.png

That image makes me feel all warm and gooey on the inside. It was by luck that I got into BoI (got it in one of the first humble bundles) but it was because of the amazing work put into the game and some friendly peeps on GAF that kept me interested.

_hekk05

Banned
Hmmm. Woolfe looks and sounds right up my alley. Also a neat game I heard about at pax called dragon fin soup. Am excite.

But I'm still looking forward to paradise lost the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom