• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I just finished Batman Arkham City.
Wow. That was anticlimactic. It felt epic as heck but then just dropped off. Why? The whole game felt disjointed but the end really ramped up. I killed Hugo by opening a door and the final boss was a character who I just met? Weak.
Is Origins at least as good? I skip all the side stuff. I don't care for open world games. In fact, I hate them because they lead to bad design and pacing decisions.

I had the same issue with City. The game felt like it was pasted together, then the garbage final boss out of nowhere. I thought that Origins handled pacing waaay better. The side stuff was actually well made, and was worth mixing in with the rest of the game. I don't usually bother with side stuff, but I loved it here.

Aerocrane

Is it just me, or does the difficulty in Borderlands 2 ramp up significantly once
Lilith teleports Sanctuary
? Up until then, I was pretty much just cruising through the game with the occasional death here or there, but now I actually have to fight my ass off and die two or three times to get through some of the tougher fights. I'm not complaining - it's not offputting or anything - just wondering if any other soloers noticed anything similar.

The game feels more difficult when you aren't getting loot that's at your level. Playing with low level items sucks and the loot in Borderlands 2 is not great. The game does feel like it gets a bit tougher after the spoiler.

kiyomi

Kind of annoying that they are asking full triple A price when the actual next F1 game is coming first half next year. No discount for people who have faithfully purchased the previous games or anything. I have a feeling this game will sell less than half of what F1 2013 sold.

Are we not getting the 'next-gen' version on PC in October? Or are we getting an update or something when the next-gen versions hit? If it's just a PS360 port then nooooo thank you. I just bought 2013 anyways.

Deitus

From what I've heard it doesn't help much.

Crap. Did it have this issue on the Xbox version? Because this is getting to be borderline unplayable. I can deal with texture pop, I can even deal with frame dips, but standing around waiting for the world to load around me while zombies are trying to eat me is just not fun.

I actually bypassed a roadblock earlier. I was in a vehicle segment, and all of the sudden the NPC with me says something about a roadblock and how we have to go it on foot from here, so I stop my vehicle, and several seconds later a roadblock loads in behind me (right where I just drove through).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Origins is very very good. The main plot is also miles better than Asylum or City.
Thanks. Can't hurt for me to play it when it becomes cheap enough.

I had the same issue with City. The game felt like it was pasted together, then the garbage final boss out of nowhere. I thought that Origins handled pacing waaay better. The side stuff was actually well made, and was worth mixing in with the rest of the game. I don't usually bother with side stuff, but I loved it here.
Yeah, what the hell. I had no idea it would end like that. Origins is on my wish list now.

Nabs

Yeah R* is pushing GTA V really hard on steam since 1st September. They are doing tests even on weekend.

http://steamdb.info/app/271590/history/

So what you think SteamGAF can we expect release date next week?

I wouldn't expect anything until they actually have more than 1 or 2 people testing it.
Thanks. Can't hurt for me to play it when it becomes cheap enough.

Yeah, what the hell. I had no idea it would end like that. Origins is on my wish list now.

Origins can get really cheap ($5-7.5). I'm interested to hear what you think of Angry Bats.

Crap. Did it have this issue on the Xbox version? Because this is getting to be borderline unplayable. I can deal with texture pop, I can even deal with frame dips, but standing around waiting for the world to load around me while zombies are trying to eat me is just not fun.

I actually bypassed a roadblock earlier. I was in a vehicle segment, and all of the sudden the NPC with me says something about a roadblock and how we have to go it on foot from here, so I stop my vehicle, and several seconds later a roadblock loads in behind me (right where I just drove through).
It had the same issues from what I'd seen, yeah. Like those screenshots of really awful textures around the XB1 launch were due to the bug, and people have fallen through the world in both the PC and XB1 versions, etc.

It's annoying.

Is Origins at least as good? I skip all the side stuff. I don't care for open world games. In fact, I hate them because they lead to bad design and pacing decisions.

Origins is great, don't read into all the hate it gets. It does a number of things way better than City. Pacing certainly being one of them, and the writing was just superior overall. I love all of the Arkham games, City is the best in terms of gameplay, but Origins is the best when it comes to the story.

It's much much worse if you don't care about the side stuff.

Bull. The main storyline is much better in Origins than in City.

Hugstable

Banned
I think it's time for me to finally start Dark Souls. Watching Two Best Friends play DS II makes me want to play it but I was holding off on buying it until I played & finished the 1st one & I was holding off on playing the 1st one until they got rid of GFWL but I doubt that's ever gonna happen.

Yes just play! Once you get over the initial bosses of GFWL setup and DSFIX, you'll be golden and not have to really worry about anything the whole game. Trying to play with a friend might be tough though as sometimes the game gets all screwy when I tried to coop, at least for myself. Get ready for a crazy experience. Remember that no matter how hard it may get and how much the game will knock you down, there is always something amazing awaiting those who conquer this game. Be patient, learn enemy patterns, and be patient! Patience cannot be stressed enough, and this game will test it. Good luck Chosen Undead

Mozendo

Is it just me, or does the difficulty in Borderlands 2 ramp up significantly once
? Up until then, I was pretty much just cruising through the game with the occasional death here or there, but now I actually have to fight my ass off and die two or three times to get through some of the tougher fights. I'm not complaining - it's not offputting or anything - just wondering if any other soloers noticed anything similar.

Yeah, I'd say that's where the game got hard for me too. They started being bullet sponges at that point.

Batman Arkham Origin's combat feels off to me and that's why I had to stop playing it even though the story was great. It felt like enemies could attack faster than they did in City and it was annoying as hell to keep getting interrupted in the middle of attacks and ground takedowns when I wasn't being any more careless than I was in the previous games.

Yeah R* is pushing GTA V really hard on steam since 1st September. They are doing tests even on weekend.

http://steamdb.info/app/271590/history/

So what you think SteamGAF can we expect release date next week?

If it released next week I would drop my draws and do a split on concrete

Tellaerin

The game feels more difficult when you aren't getting loot that's at your level. Playing with low level items sucks and the loot in Borderlands 2 is not great. The game does feel like it gets a bit tougher after the spoiler.

Maybe it's time to use a couple of those 230+ keys I stockpiled entering SHiFT codes to gear up a bit, then. >.> Was going to try holding off on redeeming any of those until I was closing in on the level cap, but it sounds like I may have a better time if I use some now.

Maybe it's time to use a couple of those 230+ keys I stockpiled entering SHiFT codes to gear up a bit, then. >.> Was going to try holding off on redeeming any of those until I was closing in on the level cap, but it sounds like I may have a better time if I use some now.

Did they ever fix the glitch where you can lock the file that holds your golden key balance by setting it to "read-only"? I didn't play it much on PC, but it seems like that would be a good way to A.) break the game if you have no self control or B.) extend your key usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG35RzBZH94

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Metal Slug 3 -- MB-3BF96AD09DFA2486 - Taken by alr1ght. 25 entrants total.

t1410052770z1.png

iosefe

so here i am playing the V2 Prologue,and i keep restarting the checkpoint to get the nutshot on the target.

much satisfaction was had

Kaper

sniper elite v2 was really fucking horrible.
I think I lasted about 2 missions in before I'd had enough of its totally broken "stealth", it's shit controls, its invisible walls everywhere and its omniscient enemies.

Did we play the same game? I don't remember encountering any of those things. Cover system was useless, but then again, for every game with a worthwhile cover system there is one with a shit cover system. If anything, the AI is retarded, not godmode.

Ozium

Does anyone have any impressions of The Escapists yet? A game about breaking out of prison is something I have always wanted to get made.

I bought but haven't played it yet, I'll get to it soon and add it to the write up other Early Access games I'm doin

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
sniper elite v2 was really fucking horrible.
I think I lasted about 2 missions in before I'd had enough of its totally broken "stealth", it's shit controls, its invisible walls everywhere and its omniscient enemies.

Saddly yes. You know what was a great Sniper game? Hitman Sniper Challenge. That free thing they packed in with Absolution. It ended up being about 100 times better than Absolution. They should make more levels for that, I would buy it.

rtcn63

The thread titles on the first page of Dead Rising 3's steamcommunity forum look like they collectively belong in a Glenn Beck monologue.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Saddly yes. You know what was a great Sniper game? Hitman Sniper Challenge. That free thing they packed in with Absolution. It ended up being about 100 times better than Absolution. They should make more levels for that, I would buy it.
I agree, I bought Absolution in the last sale just to get the Sniper Challenge after enjoying it so much through PS+

Lomax

The game has a couple of difficulty spikes, mostly certain bosses/events, and it can be worse if you've been skipping a lot of side missions and ended up somewhat underleveled. If you feel really frustrated, go get some golden keys and some weapons from there, that will be a quick and easy boost to your power. And be sure to have a shield that suits your playstyle well.

Phinor

Are we not getting the 'next-gen' version on PC in October? Or are we getting an update or something when the next-gen versions hit? If it's just a PS360 port then nooooo thank you. I just bought 2013 anyways.

Nope, no "next-gen" version this October on PC. It's the yearly PS360 version. And there won't be a simple update to next-gen version either, it's a completely separate full price game. That's why this October release at full price feels a bit rip off. I'm too into F1 to ignore this yearly update but I'll have to find alternative channels to buy the game.

Actually they mention refined career mode, ie. play through full F1 season but this time including 7 race and 12 race options as a new feature. That's actually pretty funny because in F1 2013 you can drive seasons of any length, with any races selected and in any order. The current game offers BETTER options than what the new game has as a new feature? I don't know, it just doesn't feel like a whole game especially when they took away classic content as well, so the new game literally ships with less content than the previous game had a year ago.

kiyomi

Nope, no "next-gen" version this October on PC. It's the yearly PS360 version. And there won't be a simple update to next-gen version either, it's a completely separate full price game. That's why this October release at full price feels a bit rip off. I'm too into F1 to ignore this yearly update but I'll have to find alternative channels to buy the game.

Actually they mention refined career mode, ie. play through full F1 season but this time including 7 race and 12 race options as a new feature. That's actually pretty funny because in F1 2013 you can drive seasons of any length, with any races selected and in any order. The current game offers BETTER options than what the new game has as a new feature? I don't know, it just doesn't feel like a whole game especially when they took away classic content as well, so the new game literally ships with less content than the previous game had a year ago.

Lame. I'm waiting for the next-gen version then. They should really be offering this last-gen version at a discount to those who have owned previous games. Codies' F1 games are kinda low on brand loyalty anyway, the games in my experience have been riddled with bugs - although fun - and they could probably do with some better PR.

And there's never an excuse for cutting content.

Batman Arkham Origin's combat feels off to me and that's why I had to stop playing it even though the story was great. It felt like enemies could attack faster than they did in City and it was annoying as hell to keep getting interrupted in the middle of attacks and ground takedowns when I wasn't being any more careless than I was in the previous games.

You're missing out. Origins is good shit.

Yeah, they tweaked the combat for Origins. I think it had to do with increasing reaction time for the AI. It takes some adjusting (I think I struggled through the first area), but it's worth it.

Basically, you just need to git gud.

rtcn63

I guess they realized that since they threw in the
gawdly electrocuting gauntlets
, you didn't really need to have a particularly balanced or sensical combat/upgrade system.

So I guess GMG has changed their DRM free logo. You used to be able to look and see if a game was for Steam, Origin, or DRM Free. Instead of a little logo that says DRM Free they changed it to the Playfire logo. Which is confusing as fuck, and when I saw it for the first time I had no idea what it was supposed to mean.

Chariot

iBPT4Kbt9eKqi.jpg

Speaking of the Arkham series. I want to recommend every fan of the games the DC movies Assault on Arkham (Trailer | Introduction scene). It's a direct tie-in to the games and is set somewhere between Origins and Asylum, following the Suicide Squad rather than the Batman. It's an awesome Heist movie with criminals of the DC Universe, infiltrating Arkham. Almost no knowledge to anyone of the Squad is required, everyone get's their fair share of screentime, only who the Batman is and what Arkham Asylum is supposed to be should be known - no problem for Arkham fans.

Assault on Arkham is a cartoon, but one shouldn't think that this is for kids. People curse, people fuck, people kill,k people kill with glee and people get killed in horrendous fashion. This isn't the glorified tale of superheroes, it's the dirty work of criminals for the dark side of the government to reduce their sentence. Skillful, ruthless and most of all: expendable.

I had great fun with the movie and it is a great watch for everyone, DC fan or not, but should be an extra treat for fans of the Arkham games.

Li Kao

Uguu, that feeling when all the games you try turn into a shitty experience. NFS Shift was pretty good in tier 1 and suddenly difficulty skyrocketed in tier 2. Then I tried Grid but boy did it felt like a ridiculous race with psycho killers in paper mache cars.
Sad. I've never been a driving game fan but I used to be able to play them.

Chariot

How spoilerish is the film if I've never played Origins? I did play and beat Asylum tho.
I don't think that it'll spoiler anything. There are small throwbacks to it, but those aren't obvious when you didn't know what it is, since it's not important to the plot. So have no fear of spoilers for Origins.

yuraya

I don't think that it'll spoiler anything. There are small throwbacks to it, but those aren't obvious when you didn't know what it is, since it's not important to the plot. So have no fear of spoilers for Origins.

Ok thanks :) will check out.

Tizoc

How spoilerish is the film if I've never played Origins? I did play and beat Asylum tho.

To me the movie barely felt like an Arkham series tie-in, and more of it's own thing.
In fact it is secretly a Suicide Squad animated movie.

Miguel81

I have the Mega Man Anniversary and X collections on my Amazon cart and thinking about purchasing them, but I really just want them all on Steam with no loading times and filterless, rather than having to mess with PCSX2. Damn you, CaPCpom.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have the Mega Man Anniversary and X collections on my Amazon cart and thinking about purchasing them, but I really just want them all on Steam with no loading times and filterless, rather than having to mess with PCSX2. Damn you, CaPCpom.

They'd probably fuck up the ports, anyways.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Metal Slug 3 -- MB-3BF96AD09DFA2486 - Taken by alr1ght. 25 entrants total.

t1410052770z1.png

idk about spoilers cause I also haven't played origins but I did see that movie, felt more like its own thing, should've just been called suicide squad, cause thats what the movie was about anyway.
So, is "The Escapists" or "Road Not Taken" any good? I'm considering getting either or both tonight, if they end up being good.

I played road not taken on ps4, i think that game is doodoo, stopped playing after like 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom