• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

41% now, new goal 45. It's a meaningless number and I won't keep playing games I don't enjoy (or boost it via SAM) but I can't deny the satisfaction of seeing the number rise after finishing games I haven't touch in ages.

That's a remarkable achievement!
I'm currently at 32% and hopefully it keeps rising - although at a slow rate.

Tellaerin

I do like those games, and even I'm extremely skeptical of NMS. We have no clue what the actual gameplay will be like, and they've made no real attempt to tell us.

I think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed with No Man's Sky because they're expecting it to be something it won't - can't - be. I'm not expecting a cross between Freelancer and your favorite third-person shooter (for the ground segments) in a huge, explorable galaxy where everything's procedurally generated, but still somehow as refined and nuanced as games where the content's all created by hand.

What I am expecting is a sort of sandboxy "make your own fun" experience where the enjoyment comes from discovering new things and experimenting with how the different pieces (trading, interaction, combat, exploration) bounce off of each other. I figure all of those elements will be serviceable, but not outstanding - I don't think anyone's going to end up declaring NMS the best space dogfighting game, or trading sim, or FPS/TPS ever made. It's the combination of those elements in a single game, with a lot of space to explore and discoveries to be made, that I think will make it special.

"Oh boy, Dead Rising 3 hasn't crashed in the 30 minutes I've been playing, I won't bother taking a 2 minute detour to save"
*game crashes 3 minutes later*

kiyomi

I think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed with No Man's Sky because they're expecting it to be something it won't - can't - be. I'm not expecting a cross between Freelancer and your favorite third-person shooter (for the ground segments) in a huge, explorable galaxy where everything's procedurally generated, but still somehow as refined and nuanced as games where the content's all created by hand.

What I am expecting is a sort of sandboxy "make your own fun" experience where the enjoyment comes from discovering new things and experimenting with how the different pieces (trading, interaction, combat, exploration) bounce off of each other. I figure all of those elements will be serviceable, but not outstanding - I don't think anyone's going to end up declaring NMS the best space dogfighting game, or trading sim, or FPS/TPS ever made. It's the combination of those elements in a single game, with a lot of space to explore and discoveries to be made, that I think will make it special.

I think you summed up my own feelings towards NMS brilliantly. Might have to bookmark that. c:

Arthea

but that's exactly why I'm exited for it, combination of those elements makes it appealing, like all in one package without bothering with going shopping and all that boring stuff. I don't expect it to be the best game in particular genre, I expect it to be galaxy to explore and conquer, by many means available ;)
you make it sound like it can't be really good, it can!

No Man's Sky or Parkan II?

This reminds me, I still need to play Parkan II too

pixlexic

Banned
steam needs a "SELL ALL BADGES AT STARTING PRICE" button. I have about 50 that could go for 10 cent a piece, but i am not going through the whole process for each one.

jediyoshi

steam needs a "SELL ALL BADGES AT STARTING PRICE" button. I have about 50 that could go for 10 cent a piece, but i am not going through the whole process for each one.

You have it easy, you used to have to manually look up the exact starting price itself on the market first

Exuro

About to finish idling the last of my cards. Two games left. Have nearly 100 cards on the market still. Made about $30 since friday.

Evrain

I quite like the story of ghosts though. much better than the confusing mess that was Black Ops 1 lol though I like Black Ops 2 story.

Modern Warfare story is still GOAT.
Agreed, moreover they at least tried a different approach with the branching paths, to varying degrees of success. At least multi-player is hands down fun.

Shadow didn't know you also dabbled in Black Ops 2,remind me to invite you to play next time I'm at home ☺

dex3108

L.A. Noire is awesome, great atmosphere, interesting story and cases, interesting gameplay mechanic. I would love to see new L.A. Noire game for sure.

Starting playing State of Decay. I can dig it. Movement is a bit clunky, and there's moments where there's basically no sound at all even though you're in a forest, but I enjoy it so far.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hey ... just wanted to let you know that I'll be streaming some Dieselstörmers shortly ... so, umm, feel free to drop by or something

Arthea

Is there a limit to steam inventory, if there is what is it?
I feel like I should know this, but I just can't remember.

Asgaro

take my keys pls =)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-F8E4ED867477A774 - Taken by Blue Ninja. 3 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-93A6BBCF29EA0B5C - Taken by Henry Swanson. 5 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-BC138007E97B3B06 - Taken by Accoun. 2 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-8EB7374218D40BE8 - Taken by lukiluk. 2 entrants total.

t1410136474z1.png

Tellaerin

but that's exactly why I'm exited for it, combination of those elements makes it appealing, like all in one package without bothering with going shopping and all that boring stuff. I don't expect it to be the best game in particular genre, I expect it to be galaxy to explore and conquer, by many means available ;)
you make it sound like it can't be really good, it can!

That's exactly what I was saying. : ) It's not that any of those elements have to be amazing on their own - I don't expect them to be, and I don't think it's realistic to expect that, either. What I think will make NMS an amazing experience is that you can do all those things in a single game, with a massive galaxy to explore and interesting things to discover. (Given the size and procedurally generated nature of the galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if players end up discovering things that the developers hadn't anticipated. Wouldn't that be cool?)

derExperte

Not sure about Arkham Origins. It's kind of subpar. Everything seems like a B-effort compared to Arkham Asylum. City was a step back already but this is like three step backs from that. Bug ridden. I don't know. Combat doesn't feel as good as AA and nothing else is there either. I'm quickly starting to hate this game so maybe I'll just drop it.

Oh no, that's what I started playing today after finishing Saints Row 4 (I should probably start posting in the 52 Games - 1 Year thread, making great backlog-progress). Is it boring or frustrating?

Okay, brethren, doing my budget for games for fall-winter, and need to know if I should include Borderlands on it.

On one hand, it was not made by Gearbox, I'm interested in backstory, and it is Borderlands.

On the other, it is $60 and has done nothing to seem like anything more than an expansion pack. Do I just wait for the ultimate edition next year?

I just spent $70 on CS:GO for 2 skins... i figured why not treat myself to something for once.
Yes, you should do that more often ;)
Do it!
---
I quite like the story of ghosts though. much better than the confusing mess that was Black Ops 1 lol though I like Black Ops 2 story.
Modern Warfare story is still GOAT.
Me personally, I still have hope that BLOPS will someday go down to >10 bucks, so that I can finally enjoy the zombie-goodness in co-op. It interests me much more than the MP or SP tbh.
---
Daily L.A Noire 75% off
Complete edition is actually 80% off
I got the complete edition for only 2,50 during summer sale. The game looks really intriguing. Next year I am gonna hopefully try it out. Is Team Bondi still around? Watched some missions and I have to say, they made a unique game which actually takes being a detective in the center. More games should have that facial video-animation. It looks much better to me than other methods. But the resolution could go up some notches.
---
Thanks fanty! That'll go directly to my Steam wallet. Two more games during sale :D
---
Rock Paper Shotgun linked to my article in their weekend roundup. It finally happened. :D
Congrats! You wrote a very detailed article.

Arthea

That's exactly what I was saying. : ) It's not that any of those elements have to be amazing on their own - I don't expect them to be, and I don't think it's realistic to expect that, either. What I think will make NMS an amazing experience is that you can do all those things in a single game, with a massive galaxy to explore and interesting things to discover. (Given the size and procedurally generated nature of the galaxy, I wouldn't be surprised if players end up discovering things that the developers hadn't anticipated. Wouldn't that be cool?)

oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying it can't be that good as single genre games are.

In my mind NMS is so cool already, that it's miracle my brain isn't frozen yet (><)

Nabs

Oh no, that's what I started playing today after finishing Saints Row 4 (I should probably start posting in the 52 Games - 1 Year thread, making great backlog-progress). Is it boring or frustrating?

I swear you guys only listen to the negative posts :(

Phinor

Oh god, Dead Rising 3 port is abysmal.... ported by Crapcom...:/

So hard to enjoy playing a game you enjoy playing when it keeps crashing. I would even tolerate playing it at 30fps if it didn't crash so often. I really hope they patch this quickly because there's couple more weeks before all madness is unleashed and hundreds, nay, thousands of games will be released every week and that's when DR3 no longer has a chance to get any playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom