• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Who are you again?

image.php

>___>
--------------------

Also, I don't know Marco. I don't feel like rolling back to a previous driver just so I could play this mess of a game. I honestly should just wait for a patch or a new driver. It's not like I don't have any other games to play right?

>___>
--------------------

Also, I don't know Marco. I don't feel like rolling back to a previous driver just so I could play this mess of a game. I honestly should just wait for a patch or a new driver. It's not like I don't have any other games to play right?
You're gonna have to install a driver to play it anyway, you may as well do it now. It takes like 3 minutes to do. I was worried it would take more steps than I wanted to take, but it's literally the same as installing a new driver.

Jadax

Finished The Banner Saga, it was nice, but the story could be done better, also fuck that ending, I don't feel like playing part 2 after it.

It's one of those games where you see the pics, see previews and think "Wow, this looks legit fun, bit depressing with awesome mixed together." Then you play it and realize how fucking annoying the battle mechanics become later on, and how the story isn't that great.

You still enjoy it, but it turns out to be a let-down, but still think it's worth it because it's something different from what you usually play.

...atleast that was my experience.

Wok

Yep, that case escalated quickly indeed... money changing hands for what could potentially be interpreted as 'undue' (or disproportionate) profit can definitely lead to some tension (although it was maneil99 who was banned, before liezryou reads this and panics!) :)

Ahah, now that I think about it, I mistook one for the other, because they got in a small argument when maneil99 started.

It's not a question of favoritism. We're talking about someone specifically saying, "I don't want to advertise in the B/S/T thread because I don't want to be overwhelmed with responses". I think we can all agree that this isn't the norm for traders - most of them aren't going to go out of their way to avoid getting too much business - so I can't really imagine the thread being inundated by similar posts.

I don't have a horse in this race myself. I've never bought anything through traders. But from what I've seen, there are folks here in this thread who are interested in this. If Shadownet isn't allowed to mention it here, and the seller deliberately wants to avoid the B/S/T, anyone who's potentially interested is going to lose out. Now personally, I thought that seeing people have a chance at discounts they wouldn't otherwise get should take precedence over an arbitrary anti-spamming rule. An occasional post like that by one person isn't going to plunge the thread into chaos, and shutting him down seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. But hey, what do I know, right?

The original post is an advertisement, but expressed as a public service annoucement. If one does not want many customers, one does not advertise in the first place but let the word-of-mouth do the advertisement by itself. Moreover, I disagree about your point being traders wanting to get overwhelmed with responses: first, there is an instance of someone leaving trading because it was too much work, an active GAFfer in this very thread ; second, there are enough customers in this thread to make a substantial profit as a trader, one does not have to go to the B/S/T to find customers, so I am sure some traders would rather advertise here than in the B/S/T if it were not against the rules ; third, if a trader were the dedicated trader in the Steam thread, there would be no other trader to compete with, it is a kind of a trader's dream: you get all the people from one thread instead of a smaller segment of people in the B/S/T. Finally, if there are folks interested in buying from traders, they can go to the B/S/T, it is not a secret thread, right?

Shadownet

Banned
Finally got past the
crazy kung-fu master guy
and the game crashed right after I saved. I'll be finished with this game in about 20 years at this rate.

I'll still be playing CS:GO then too..

liezryou

A bit OT, but I wanted to reminds you guys. If you want to buy some cheap Steam games. Please look below. I will only post this every once in a while on here to avoid derailing stuff. I hope you guys aren't offended since this is technically advertising. If you are. I apologize. Please PM me if you feel uncomfortable with this.

Ok I don't mean to be rude but this anonymous seller is selling to very few people for a reason. If he wanted to, he could start selling on b/s/t again. On top of the fact that its directly against the rules to sell here, it's not acceptable.

I'm not just saying this because I am also a seller, in fact I consider the anonymous seller a good friend and my mentor in many ways.

Also like WTF? When did I go crazy on someone in the B/S/T thread? That was maneil. BTW this was the same maneil who also tried to start selling games on this thread last year (Cue in JaseC with the post link). Might want to rethink that path shadow.

kudoboi

Finally got past the
crazy kung-fu master guy
and the game crashed right after I saved. I'll be finished with this game in about 20 years at this rate.

I'll still be playing CS:GO then too..

i have not gotten a single crash since i started. looks like only nvidia cards are having this issue?

liezryou

maybe we should do a reseller drama thread and link that in the ot

I'd rather quit selling altogether then cause any sort of drama. I just think buying and selling should to the buying and selling thread that's all. If shadow wants to toss his hat in the ring more, so be it. But not in this thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ok I don't mean to be rude but this anonymous seller is selling to very few people for a reason. If he wanted to, he could start selling on b/s/t again. On top of the fact that its directly against the rules to sell here, it's not acceptable.

I'm not just saying this because I am also a seller, in fact I consider the anonymous seller a good friend and my mentor in many ways.

Also like WTF? When did I go crazy on someone in the B/S/T thread? That was maneil. BTW this was the same maneil who also tried to start selling games on this thread last year (Cue in JaseC with the post link). Might want to rethink that path shadow.

Yeah, I remember what you're talking about. He was Rash's middle-man. You actually had a run-in with him about it, haha. Also, get back on Steam so I can buy 9 keys from you. ;)

Wok

Also like WTF? When did I go crazy on someone in the B/S/T thread? That was maneil.

Sorry about that.

BTW this was the same maneil who also tried to start selling games on this thread last year (Cue in JaseC with the post link). Might want to rethink that path shadow.

Yeah, I remember your intervention there. Great posts.

Tellaerin

The original post is an advertisement, but expressed as a public service annoucement. If one does not want many customers, one does not advertise in the first place and let the word-of-mouth do the advertisement by itself.

If there are folks interested in buying from traders, they can go to the B/S/T, it is not a secret thread, right?

If one wants an exclusive clientele, one advertises discreetly. And that's apparently what was being done here. God forbid someone from the Steam thread tries to help out the people he knows. The fact that some people here apparently feel that "the rules" (as arbitrary as they are - another poster just like us came up with them; they weren't handed down to us from Heaven on stone tablets) are more important than somebody's intent of doing his friends a solid, and would call him out for it, really rubs me the wrong way. Sorry.

Arthea

Talking about The Golden Joystick Awards... DoS and Banished not being there in any form is sad state of affairs, I must say.

edited: if you are selling games, you are doing it wrong, you need to buy them not sell!
sorry, you know I had to (><)

edit2: wait... why Escaflowne is our anime?

Volimar

freaking Dead Rising 3 would not stop crashing. sigh..

This thread addresses some of the problems people are having:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/265550/discussions/0/613935404078103027/

There seem to be a few workarounds until they get it patched up and...wait, what the hell?

While laptop graphics fall outside of the minimum spec requirements and aren’t officially supported, we understand many users still choose to play DR3 on laptop systems.

Why would laptop gaming not be supported? Insanity!

Finished The Banner Saga, it was nice, but the story could be done better, also fuck that ending, I don't feel like playing part 2 after it.

I'm all in for the next part. The ending was rough, but you have to admit it fit the tenor of the game.

Escaflowne must surely be steamgaf's favorite anime ever

I actually realy liked Escaflowne, the bits that I've seen.

sprinkles

i have not gotten a single crash since i started. looks like only nvidia cards are having this issue?
I put in 12+ hours into the game during the weekend and the only issue I had were that DR3 does not like the FRAPS overlay. No crashes at all on AMD 7950.

Wok

If one wants an exclusive clientele, one advertises discreetly. And that's apparently what was being done here. God forbid someone from the Steam thread tries to help out the people he knows. The fact that some people here apparently feel that "the rules" (as arbitrary as they are - another poster just like us came up with them; they weren't handed down to us from Heaven on stone tablets) are more important than somebody's intent of doing his friends a solid, and would call him out for it, really rubs me the wrong way. Sorry.

So because rules are made by a man and not by God, one can simply ignore the rules? The first step would be to discuss the rules with a moderator and inquire about the reasons we have these rules in the first place.

Moreover, I would say advertising on the Steam thread is all but discreet. Think about all the lurkers who are not even registered on NeoGAF: they are part of the "exclusive clientèle".

If the intent is really to help "friends", just advertise it in your Steam activity page, which is visible to Steam friends. This is what I would call discreet and acceptable.

I want to know who this mystery trader is, is he sitting in his hideout watching us all right now?

It is pretty obvious, no need to give his name.

liezryou

Yeah, I remember what you're talking about. He was Rash's middle-man. You actually had a run-in with him about it, haha. Also, get back on Steam so I can buy 9 keys from you. ;)

Gimme a bit, just got home. Lol poor rash quit a while ago after his main account got trading banned and he got burned out, i still talk with him every now and then. Ironically I'm pretty sure i introduced steamGAF/maneil with rash's site as a price checker, iirc.

Getting more on the topic of games, this might be a bit blasphemous but i decided to get sims 4 and open origin for the first time in god knows how long. Is the origin downloader torrent based? I can't find any settings for it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal of Shadownet's post. He is clearly doing it as a service to SteamGAF and neither he or his anonymous friend are making any profit out of it. After seeing so many people trying to rip-off others in the BST thread when it comes to selling Steam games, I think that everyone should be thankful that someone's giving you the chance to buy games at the lowest price possible

I did the exact same thing with TF2 keys a few months ago. I already had plenty of off-site customers that I did business with but after seeing some gaffers in the Steam thread struggling with finding a reliable second hand key seller, I decided to help them by offering to sell them keys. I did not post in the BST thread at first because I didn't want to expand and do business with people that I did not trust and was not familiar with. I didn't receive complains from anyone as far as I remember.

Not that I encourage Shadownet to start spamming the thread but it is a bit pretentious to call him out for a single post with all the spam and shitposting that happens here everyday

sprinkles

That's reassuring. Are you using the 14.7 beta driver?
As I did not get around to upgrade my Windows 8 to 8.1 yet (yes I am lazy), I am still using 14.4, the latest possible driver for Windows 8.0.

Already have Shadow of Mordor for early October and Isaac for the rest of the year.
Someone sell me on Shadow of Mordor. What is the game about? The two trailers on Steam don't really tell anything about the gameplay.

I like Tolkien's lore, so maybe the game is for me? Or not, if it butchers the lore?

Getting more on the topic of games, this might be a bit blasphemous but i decided to get sims 4 and open origin for the first time in god knows how long. Is the origin downloader torrent based? I can't find any settings for it.
Not that blasphemous on the whole, but maybe around these parts. I hear Sims 4 actually turned out pretty good. I saw a bunch of posts in the OT that rekindled my desire for it at least. And hey, I use Origin all the time, even if it is only for Sims and Titanfall...

I'm not sure about Origin's downloader. All I know is it lists the hard drive write speed as download speed, or something like that. It not having settings isn't all that surprising though.

Shadownet

Banned
He's the shadow broker
Not even shadownet knows his identity

Shadow Broker? ^^

If the intent is really to help "friends", just advertise it in your Steam activity page, which is visible to Steam friends. This is what I would call discreet and acceptable.

Unfortunately I am not friends with many of the good people on SteamGAF. Also I don't know about most people but I do not visit the activity page that much. I imagine there are those like me. So I feel like they might miss out on this. I mean, many regular here at SteamGAF frequent this thread at least once a day and you are right. I will only post this once and hope words of mouth get pass around.

liezryou

Not that blasphemous on the whole, but maybe around these parts. I hear Sims 4 actually turned out pretty good. I saw a bunch of posts in the OT that rekindled my desire for it at least. And hey, I use Origin all the time, even if it is only for Sims and Titanfall...

I'm not sure about Origin's downloader. All I know is it lists the hard drive write speed as download speed, or something like that. It not having settings isn't all that surprising though.

I figured as much, it was giving me 1 MB/Sec download speeds on my 4MB internet. Made me do a double take for a sec.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
well.. at least we know this game won't use WB Play

bRtH7ku.png

The WB Play logo is on the game's official website, but the point is moot at we don't know what WB Play actually is yet.

Edit:

Yeah, Origin is misleading:

They're not. Origin fudges the numbers by calculating download speed using unpacked file size rather than download size. For example, if you downloaded a 200MB chunk at 2MBps but it unpacked to twice that size, Origin would say you're downloading at 4MBps because you've downloaded 400MB worth of data in that 100 seconds.

Tellaerin

So because rules are made by a man and not by God, one can simply ignore the rules? The first step would be to discuss the rules with a moderator and inquire about the reasons we have these rules in the first place.

Moreover, I would say advertising on the Steam thread is all but discreet. Just do it in your Steam activity page, which is visible to Steam friends. This is what I would call discreet and acceptable.

I was under the impression the rule in question came to us from MRORANGE and not Stump or another mod. I may be mistaken, in which case I apologize. If that's indeed the case, I see no reason why we can't make the occasional exception if we collectively feel they're justified.

Not everyone in the Steam thread is friends with every other SteamGAFfer. Hell, not everyone in the thread is even a member of the NeoGAF group. (I'm not.) So "advertising on your Steam activity page" when you want word to go out to people who are regulars here is no guarantee of anything.

I'm just tired of all the bullshit at this point, to be honest. One person posts a couple of animated gifs or an "advertisement", and we end up with five pages of people bitching about "the rules" and thread derails. It's one thing when the thread's swamped with off-topic posts, but we're nowhere near that now, and him posting like that wasn't about to plunge us into anarchy. It's gotten stupid now.

Dr Dogg

Ain't no drama like SteamGAF drama (and no I totally did not paraphrase a S Club 7 song).

The WB Play logo is on the game's official website, but the point is moot at we don't know what WB Play actually is yet.

Well seeing that Arkham Origins (and on further inspection Injustice) Trojan Horsed WBID into the game for a skin unlock I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more details in their next couple of releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom