• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
that fucking fight against heal spamming lorence is the absolute fucking worst :/

edit: ok he's beatable as long as you're as cheap as he is and just spam impedes and haste ex! awesome encounter design!!!!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
magixmedppdquzh.jpg

Thanks to the help of idle master over the past week, I managed to get the cost down from $50 to $18.18. Fortunately, the next piece of MAGIX software I need is cheaper in Eastern Europe; after that, I am done
with MAGIX software until the inevitable 2015 editions

liezryou

I was under the impression the rule in question came to us from MRORANGE and not Stump or another mod. I may be mistaken, in which case I apologize. If that's indeed the case, I see no reason why we can't make the occasional exception if we collectively feel they're justified.

This is not a community thread, so a collective vote doesn't mean shit. It will be as mods see fit.

How many times have you seen someone trying to sell copies of a certain game in said games OT? That's right, 0 times, because a banhammer would ensue. Why is this thread any different?

I'm just tired of all the bullshit at this point, to be honest. One person posts a couple of animated gifs or an "advertisement", and we end up with five pages of people bitching about "the rules" and thread derails. It's one thing when the thread's swamped with off-topic posts, but we're nowhere near that now, and him posting like that wasn't about to plunge us into anarchy. It's gotten stupid now.

It's not about offtopic or derailing thread. The rules are there for a reason. If we allow shadow to sell here, why shouldn't we allow dmix, bernardo, or kiddyone to sell here? Why the favoritism?

If shadow wants to, he can simply make a post saying "I have a cheap russian source for games for all you awesome steamGAFfers, PM me if you are interested." The fact that he's posting specific games with prices (which I'm pretty sure i remember seeing a post a few days ago, so it's not only once) means that he's interested in getting customers for whatever ulterior motive [whether that be cash or reputation or self-gratification].

Regardless, i feel like this is a topic that should be left up to the judgement of stump or some other mod. Bickering will do nothing.

MAGIC Post Finder Pro 2014 Plus.

i lol'd

JaseC

This is not a community thread, so a collective vote doesn't mean shit. It will be as mods see fit.

How many times have you seen someone trying to sell copies of a certain game in said games OT? That's right, 0 times, because a banhammer would ensue. Why is this thread any different?

It's not about offtopic or derailing thread. The rules are there for a reason. If we allow shadow to sell here, why shouldn't we allow dmix, bernardo, or kiddyone to sell here? Why the favoritism?

If shadow wants to, he can simply make a post saying "I have a cheap russian source for games for all you awesome steamGAFfers, PM me if you are interested." The fact that he's posting specific games with prices (which I'm pretty sure i remember seeing a post a few days ago, so it's not only once) means that he's interested in getting customers for whatever ulterior motive [whether that be cash or reputation or self-gratification].

Regardless, i feel like this is a topic that should be left up to the judgement of stump or some other mod. Bickering will do nothing.
I agree with all of that, but I don't think it needs a decision from a mod. The rule not to sell in here has been there forever, and everybody agreed to it because it makes sense. Now all of a sudden Shadownet is exempt from it because of "reasons". Either everyone follows the rules or no one has to. It's really that simple.
Alright, I'm done.
Thanks.

Not that blasphemous on the whole, but maybe around these parts. I hear Sims 4 actually turned out pretty good. I saw a bunch of posts in the OT that rekindled my desire for it at least. And hey, I use Origin all the time, even if it is only for Sims and Titanfall...

Yea it kind of did. I started playing the game at 11PM last night and when I checked the clock again it was 2AM. It still has that addictive quality and it's an extremely polished game.

Some of the missing features are glaringly obnoxious... the fact that you can walk around your house but you have to load into a separate zone to meet go visit your neighbor who lives 10 feet away is daft. The neighborhood itself is only about 4-5 houses big and the remaining houses you see around it are just background art. And the lack of story progressions means that all your neighbors will remain static and never progress around you.

That said, it does have some cool new stuff. Multitasking is a game changer. You can watch TV while eating and talking to someone sitting next to you and that will increase your fun, hunger and social meters all at once. In previous games you'd have to do those one at a time, so here you have a lot more free time to try new shit out. The customization is very deep for those who enjoy it, but again it's missing some features from the last one. There are just lots of tweaks to the existing formula that makes the game better. And it's still got it's incredible charm. Animations that can make you smile and sims that will do silly stuff while you're just watching them.

I actually thought it was going to be a husk of a game with all the missing features, but for a casual player like me there's enough still there to amuse me. I typically only buy the numbered base games every few years so I guess I'm not as critical towards all the missing content as more serious players would be.

Dr Dogg

I like it, now we need a movie and a game with him

I can hear William Gibson sobbing.

Was there ever a Johnny Mnemonic game? Well it was the 90's and movie tie-ins were in vogue albeit utterly dreadful.

Something with the Pontiac G8 and Opal Astra so I can just handball the licences to WB and say, "Now you can re-release Wheelman!".

Jaded Jase in theatres summer 2015.

Yea it kind of did. I started playing the game at 11PM last night and when I checked the clock again it was 2AM. It still has that addictive quality and it's an extremely polished game.

Some of the missing features are glaringly obnoxious... the fact that you can walk around your house but you have to load into a separate zone to meet go visit your neighbor who lives 10 feet away is daft. The neighborhood itself is only about 4-5 houses big and the remaining houses you see around it are just background art. And the lack of story progressions means that all your neighbors will remain static and never age around you.

That said, it does have some cool new stuff. Multitasking is a game changer. You can watch TV while eating and talking to someone sitting next to you and that will increase your fun, hunger and social meters all at once. In previous games you'd have to do those one at a time, so here you have a lot more free time to try new shit out. The customization is very deep for those who enjoy it, but again it's missing some features from the last one. There are just lots of tweaks to the existing formula that makes the game better. And it's still got it's incredible charm. Animations that can make you smile and sims that will do silly stuff while you're just watching them.

I actually thought it was going to be a husk of a game with all the missing features, but for a casual player like me there's enough still there to amuse me. I typically only buy the numbered base games every few years so I guess I'm not as critical towards all the missing content as more serious players would be.
All of this makes me wish I'd preordered. I'm definitely gonna pick it up soon now though. But it's approaching the point where I need each game installed because I like each one for different reasons. (I still want/need to pick up the Sims 3 expansions I'm missing at some point.)

Arthea

I can hear William Gibson sobbing.

Was there ever a Johnny Mnemonic game? Well it was the 90's and movie tie-ins were in vogue albeit utterly dreadful.

I wanted that game, we never got it for that reason alone, I think. (><)

edited: wait, my reasoning seems off, I wanted Matrix the game and we got it, although, not exactly what I expected.

IMDb says "yes". Judging from the title it was one of those FMV games with little actual interaction.

totally mindblown, I thought it never was made

Haunted

Someone sell me on Shadow of Mordor. What is the game about? The two trailers on Steam don't really tell anything about the gameplay.

I like Tolkien's lore, so maybe the game is for me? Or not, if it butchers the lore?
Assassin's Creed x Lord of the Rings.

Sendou

Shadow of Mordor seems like the kind of game that could easily turn out horrible. I don't know. I'm not brave enough to pre-order it before reviews come.

Arthea

Shadow of Mordor seems like the kind of game that could easily turn out horrible. I don't know. I'm not brave enough to pre-order it before reviews come.

my thoughts exactly
even reviews won't convince it, I want impressions from steamgaf to be sure.
most likely it will be bad, call it a gut feeling

liezryou

I preordered war in the north. I honestly have no idea why it got such a bad reception. I played it constantly for a few days, had alot of fun with it.

If i had a decent rig I'd preorder shadow of mordor. Right now my laptop can barely play dota 2 without overheating.

DocSeuss

How do I rip music from my games? In this case, trying to grab everything STALKER's got. I own all three, but the official website only provides a selection of sounds for download. I've seen full soundtracks on YT, but the audio quality's bad.

Arthea

I preordered war in the north. I honestly have no idea why it got such a bad reception. I played it constantly for a few days, had alot of fun with it.

If i had a decent rig I'd preorder shadow of mordor. Right now my laptop can barely play dota 2 without overheating.

I actually liked The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, probably mostly because it was FFX clone of sorts. But in general LotR games tend to disappoint me.

"A data courier, literally carrying a data package consisting of 650 MB of Saoirse Ronan gifs inside his head, must deliver it before he dies from the burden or is killed by the Yakuza."

awesome
(><)

Knurek

JaseC Mnenonic -> I like it, now we need a movie and a game with him

"A data courier, literally carrying a data package consisting of 650 MB of Saoirse Ronan gifs inside his head, must deliver it before he dies from the burden or is killed by the Yakuza."

How do I rip music from my games? In this case, trying to grab everything STALKER's got. I own all three, but the official website only provides a selection of sounds for download. I've seen full soundtracks on YT, but the audio quality's bad.

Depends on what the game uses. I will look into Stalker when I get home, as it seems we don't have a rip available yet.

JaseC

Generally speaking, the data archives of games that are mod-friendly can be extracted. Poke around on Google for extraction tools/guides.

Time to get to work on the screenplay.

mwpbjj2w.jpg

Knurek

Man, that music is copyrighted. Don't get yourself banned! How can I eventually shame your Crimzon Clover scores if you're banned?

Is this seriously a problem?
I've been active in the VGM community for close to 20 years, haven't seen even a single C&D. Moreover, we've had actual composers coming out and praising the work we do (or more often than not, being genuinely surprised someone actually cares about their work).
Also, there's really no difference between this and posting Youtube links with VGM, which generally happens whenever we have composer thread here, a weekly occurrence AFAIK. Thanks for caring though. :)

JaseC

Do CS:GO missions expire? I have one sitting in my inventory as I bought the current operation pass while it was half off, but since I don't play the game online thanks to my extra-crummy internet connection (the fibre rollout recently started playing silly buggers with my ADSL sync speeds, which is a good thing in its own way), I'd rather save it for when I have real internets.

magixmedppdquzh.jpg

Thanks to the help of idle master over the past week, I managed to get the cost down from $50 to $18.18. Fortunately, the next piece of MAGIX software I need is cheaper in Eastern Europe; after that, I am done
with MAGIX software until the inevitable 2015 editions

That would make writing my erotic fan fiction so much easier, might have to pick it up.

Ozium

Do CS:GO missions expire? I have one sitting in my inventory as I bought the current operation pass while it was half off, but since I don't play the game online thanks to my extra-crummy internet connection (the fibre rollout recently started playing silly buggers with my ADSL sync speeds, which is a good thing in its own way), I'd rather save it for when I have real internets.

There's no expiry in game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are only available until the end of the operation.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'll be waiting for this glorious day like a child waiting for Santa.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As others said, depends on the game, the engine, etc. Sometimes it's as easy as finding the music in the files of a game. Sometimes you need to find where the music is encrypted and then extract and convert it to a commonly listenable format. Sometimes you need to record it from the game itself as no current known method to unencrypt it yet.

I know how to rip music from some types of games. For example, very familiar with how to extract audio from Unreal 3 games after making game rips of Shadows of the Damned, Silent Hill Downpour, and Lollipop Chainsaw. Unreal is easy as it's always the same between games, or close enough.

JaseC

There's no expiry in game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are only available until the end of the operation.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I might ask Valve about it.

I'll be waiting for this glorious day like a child waiting for Santa.

I'll have to resist the urge to grab a sledgehammer and rip the copper wiring from the walls while laughing maniacally. No more stream stuttering. No more getting screwed out of playing a game on launch day because the publisher didn't offer a pre-load. No more waiting for Saoirse gifs to upload (and the inability to even browse GAF that comes with uploading something on ADSL).

If JaseC doesn't sound like the Sniper from TF2 I will be sad

Haha, come to think of it I do have a mic somewhere.

Hey guys. Just recently finished Lego Marvel and it was great and got me super hype so I picked up that "complete" collection on GMG and have been playing through Lego Batman. Question though, was Lego Pirates ever released on Steam? I saw there was a PC version but it's the only game I can't find. It's not a big deal as it's the one I care the least about but if I end with the rest I would be gutted to not get all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom