• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame them for following the money, I mean as a company they very well might've needed to do that to survive but I'm hopeful that the sales on Steam may coax them back, hopefully it's been lucrative for them.
I thought XSEED had said that Ys sales had been way better on Steam than they or Falcom had expected, and that was why we were getting TitS as well. Whether that is enough for them to come back remains to be seen though.

But yeah, the PSP releases of their games were way more successful than the PC ones, mostly because PSP sales in Japan > PC sales in Japan.

Arthea

I thought XSEED had said that Ys sales had been way better on Steam than they or Falcom had expected, and that was why we were getting TitS as well. Whether that is enough for them to come back remains to be seen though.

But yeah, the PSP releases of their games were way more successful than the PC ones, mostly because PSP sales in Japan > PC sales in Japan.

the problem with this is that they primal target is and probably will be Japan. And if Japan sticks to handhelds (and iOS), we won't see much ports on steam, except maybe iOS ones. And Falcom doesn't do iOS as far as I know. All their games up to mid 00 were on PC, lately none are. I think they did no PC game since 2009 (._.)

meh no dmc5 announcement

where this comes from? Why were you expecting dmc5?

150 games and nothing I wanna play. What is wrong with me.
I feel your pain.
oL6kray.png

I can't bring myself around playing anything. But you now what helps? When I get invited to be played with a friend or vice versa. I think because of the obligation-feeling to play, one actually plays finally. And I always have good time, too.
Maybe I'll just invite you to a game sometime :)
--
Well, guys. Hype got the better of me and here I am at 10:30AM not having slept at all, just to watch the Sony pre-TGS livestream. I found it very entertaining tbh.
This game got me the most though; it's called Summer School
untitled-5hjq7c.gif

ihJ3obYIfE3zG.gif

i8PqPEDpkM7aI.gif

Beautiful display of what VR-future can look like :p
With VR being a new tech and - I assume - every customer counting therefore for the pubs, what do you think are the chances of Japanese VR games like above hitting Steam(and the West)? I think with VR userbase being small, they should go at every market possible. One can hope, right?

Well, I gotta sleep now. I am already dizzy of sleep deprivation, hah.
Good night/morning/sleep Gaf!

Corpekata

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Corpekata, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
NBA 2k14 -- MB-06365D5EDFB61A20 - Taken by Shalashaska. 13 entrants total.

t1409562215z1.png

Couple mins left.

Arthea

I'll expect dmc5 in every conference until it happens! Like Jasec expecting wheelman on steam

that makes sense!
I remember Capcpom interview where they were contemplating release of DmC2, that's why I don't hold my breath for announcement of DMC5.

Tizoc

Yeah but are the non Japanese PC sales higher than their PSP sales? That's the question I'd like answered =P

meh no dmc5 announcement

No announcement in Sony's stream, TGS might still have it announcement.

Vuze

--
Well, guys. Hype got the better of me and here I am at 10:30AM not having slept at all, just to watch the Sony pre-TGS livestream. I found it very entertaining tbh.

With VR being a new tech and - I assume - every customer counting therefore for the pubs, what do you think are the chances of Japanese VR games like above hitting Steam(and the West)? I think with VR userbase being small, they should go at every market possible. One can hope, right?

This is so embarassing. Show off some cool games for a new tech like VR that appeal to the mainstream but not some weeaboo waifu stuff. VR will be considered "nerd" stuff for the first months/years anyway and this really doesn't help...

Knurek

Yeah but are the non Japanese PC sales higher than their PSP sales? That's the question I'd like answered =P

Even if they were, I'd seriously doubt a thoroughly Japanese company like Falcom would be able to make a sensible business decision.

US and Japanese PSP sales combined? Probably not.

The issue is they made the platform switch decision before any of their 00's era games even came out overseas. And any decision made now will still be made with Japan in mind. So :/

I mean unless someone wants to port their games to PC for them.

This is so embarassing. Show off some cool games for a new tech like VR that appeal to the mainstream but not some weeaboo waifu stuff. VR will be considered "nerd" stuff for the first months/years anyway and this really doesn't help...
I get you, really. But you have to keep in mind that like with most gaming tech, especially new tech like VR, that the core/hardcore will have to carry it at the beginning. VR is not like smartphones, so banking on the "casual" demography to give it a quick-start is a dangerous proposal. I am sure the "normal" games will come to VR as well and these VN-VR games will stay niche just like usual VN games are now as well.

Also, just enjoy it man :p

Anteater

that makes sense!
I remember Capcpom interview where they were contemplating release of DmC2, that's why I don't hold my breath for announcement of DMC5.

Itsuno said he wanted to do a dmc5, that and he's already has the concept in mind, so it's just the matter of whether capcom greenlights it. Plus, the heavy outsourcing direction was pushed my Inafune who's no longer in capcom (according to Sven), and Capcom have expressed concerns with the quality of their franchise being outsourced lately.

dmc series is also still one of their "lineup of powerful titles" , so it's just the matter of time they bring it back, Ninja Theory is also busy with their own "indie AAA" titles and with the poor reception of DmC in the west I think there's a pretty big chance Capcom will be doing dmc5 inhouse.

Tizoc

Even if they were, I'd seriously doubt a thoroughly Japanese company like Falcom would be able to make a sensible business decision.

That would apply to a lot of Japanese companies/devs :p
It's like SEGA of Japan and SEGA of America back in the 90s.
Just wish Japanese devs would stop being so conservative and narrow minded about their products.
I mean come on Poland is making a game that they've managed to and are gladly promoting worldwide...

mik7697

Neo Member
ah guys resident evil revelations 2 was announced =) I was waiting for a long time a new resident evil; let's hope this isn't like RE6

Vuze

I get you, really. But you have to keep in mind that like with most gaming tech, especially new tech like VR, that the core/hardcore will have to carry it at the beginning. VR is not like smartphones, so banking on the "casual" demography to give it a quick-start is a dangerous proposal. I am sure the "normal" games will come to VR as well and these VN-VR games will stay niche just like usual VN games are now as well.

Also, just enjoy it man :p

Yeah, I don't know about Sony but Oculus stated they will focus on hardcore-gamers for the first consumer version anyway. Oviously this was intended for japanese audience and I don't know if they feel less "offended" by waifu stuff like this, so it might be a seller for the Morpheus there.

I'm not into virtual japanese school girls, sorry :p

Chariot

untitled-5hjq7c.gif

ihJ3obYIfE3zG.gif

i8PqPEDpkM7aI.gif

Well, I gotta sleep now. I am already dizzy of sleep deprivation, hah.
Good night/morning/sleep Gaf!
I'm ready for this future.

IIRC their handheld exploits have been very successful and they turned away from the PC due to all the pirating.
Or at least that's what Falcom sez.
Source? I haven't heard of them officially stating piracy as a negative factor. There are larger thorns to navigate when releasing a PC game in Japan, like how low-end many home PCs are in the country, or how no one has any room to fit a tower in their cramped flats.

Their report from the investors' meeting showed that there was growing interest in building PC ports for export to Steam for other regions (and GOG, when the results come in). It'll take a while, maybe a couple of years, before Falcom is able to plan for one of their prototype games to have a reasonably close PC DD release.

Falcom hasn't ever had a localization/publishing relationship as lucrative as this. They're making a big cut thanks to big sales on Steam and GOG; Falcom stuck with Japanese PC gamers well past the market's expiration date, there's good reasons for them to try it again for foreigners. Not that they'll stop handheld ops to do this, though, so expansion and paperwork are in order.

Arthea

Itsuno said he wanted to do a dmc5, that and he's already has the concept in mind, so it's just the matter of whether capcom greenlights it. Plus, the heavy outsourcing direction was pushed my Inafune who's no longer in capcom (according to Sven), and Capcom have expressed concerns with the quality of their franchise being outsourced lately.

dmc series is also still one of their "lineup of powerful titles" , so it's just the matter of time they bring it back, Ninja Theory is also busy with their own "indie AAA" titles and with the poor reception of DmC in the west I think there's a pretty big chance Capcom will be doing dmc5 inhouse.

that's good to know. I'll share in your hope then.

The_Monk

Morning everyone! Any GAFfers will be playing Dead Rising 3 as soon it releases? Will take a look for impressions, optimization and so on since I've been curious about the game. There's quite a few GAFfers that already own the game according to my friends list so I hope some of you to give some impression soon. :)

Oh and I don't get the Thread title but I guess that this is what I get for not having the time to keep myself updated with you all.

Knurek

I mean come on Poland is making a game that they've managed to and are gladly promoting worldwide...

Games you mean?
I'm pretty sure you've played at least a few Polish games released in 2013, might have even put them in your GOTY list. ;)
Anomaly 2, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior if you're not counting Artifex Mundi output

Vuze

Morning everyone! Any GAFfers will be playing Dead Rising 3 as soon it releases? Will take a look for impressions, optimization and so on since I've been curious about the game. There's quite a few GAFfers that already own the game according to my friends list so I hope some of you to give some impression soon. :)

Oh and I don't get the Thread title but I guess that this is what I get for not having the time to keep myself updated with you all.

Yep, there are quite a few (including myself) eagerly awaiting the game :)
Also, I added you on Steam ;)

I'm gonna try and pick it up on wednesday so I'll be ready for release! So long as our resident traders still have it cheap.

Jadax

black ops II/Ghosts so cheap (7k). Worth getting or not?

I've never played any of the COD games, only every played cs 1.6, css and csgo during beta.

Source? I haven't heard of them officially stating piracy as a negative factor. There are larger thorns to navigate when releasing a PC game in Japan, like how low-end many home PCs are in the country, or how no one has any room to fit a tower in their cramped flats.

Haven't had much luck finding anything official.

Found this post from a comment in a siliconera article from a few years back.
(grain of salt of course)

Firehawke said:
Much as I hate to say it, Falcom's not going to be doing PC products any time soon. While piracy had some effect on their PC-side sales, the loss of their agreement with SoftBank is the real killer. SoftBank does the distribution for pretty much all PC software in Japan-- they've got a pretty authoritative monopoly on that. Since boxed sales is still #1 (Steam's not terribly popular in Japan right now, and Falcom always puts out *wonderful* premium box sets) they basically have had to kill off the PC-side development.

Seems like the Japanese PC gaming market is just really behind the times.

hepburn3d

Before I make to much effort to try it, and slam me for probably posting a repeated post, but can I create a Origin Desktop shortcut straight into a game and launch it from Steam?

Tellaerin

Just got done messing with the Slipstream GX demo (Accoun linked to a video in the previous thread.) Already seems to be shaping up as a solid Wipeout-alike - hopefully they'll shoot for a Steam release when it's done like some other free games have done.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Like 18€...if I buy keys from the market, someone can take this for me?
I'm not into this trade thing :S.

Using Dispenser is literally just a case of following instructions, haha, however if you'd prefer that somebody buy it for you, send me a trade offer containing the keys.

Edit: \/ Even better.

Found this post from a comment in a siliconera article from a few years back.
(grain of salt of course)

Seems like the Japanese PC gaming market is just really behind the times.
Sounds bad! Not surprised all retail's handheld products now. This also explains why Kogado, of all companies, is a secondary distributor of Kiseki wares. Hell, it might even keep Kogado afloat!

The Japanese PC market is dead for the same reasons Japan is dying: business structure and culture has deemed PC gaming uncouth and disrespectful (just as marriage automatically portrays most women as housewives and thus leads to job discrimination!). Besides, it's easier to waste time on a train playing Puzzles & Dragons instead of fiddling with a PC system. But that doesn't mean Japanese companies should stop making PC games. STEAM's support of games both made and designed by Japanese studios makes it clear there's a market left, and there's no longer much to gain from forcing high domestic prices on the few PC gamers buying at home.

Corpekata

Banned
That SiliconeEra thing makes me wonder if that company they speak of might be involved in the bizaare behavior of some Japanese devs with blocking their own games from their own country (like Konami). Weird contracts and monopolies are the only thing that could really explain it.

I'll be playing it on Friday and hopefully all weekend. Will post about optimization impressions. I already know the game is great as I had the XBONE version. Hopefully the 60fps unlock works like a charm.

Kiru

MEGATON: As a result of Valve changing how Free on Demand games work, retail keys and gifts tied to FoD games can now be redeemed/activated and they count as owned.

omghtjkx.jpg
I wonder if anyone wants my Magicka WW alpha keys now, gotta check if they are still working.

But that doesn't mean Japanese companies should stop making PC games. STEAM's support of games both made and designed by Japanese studios makes it clear there's a market left.

http://tabitter.net/how-it-sucks-to-be-a-pc-gamer-in-japan/

Basically, If Japanese publishers make PC games it's usually with the west in mind. Apparently their own country is a second-thought and it looks like they're even actively screwing them over.

The whole thing is a head-scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom